Dean was tried unfairly

I read with great interest the March 14 letter to the editor by Kathy Fullbright from Harlem about Scott Dean (“Scott Dean must be freed”).

I have known Scott for many years, and was one of several character witnesses at his trial. He wasn’t guilty then and still is not guilty. He was wrongfully convicted and wrongfully imprisoned. I always have said that it was politically motivated.

Scott was not one of the good ol’ boys in Columbia County and was on the wrong side of the political fence. He was for the people who elected him and not the politicians. I always have felt that the court was prejudiced in its rulings and that he did not get a fair trial. I ask the public this question: If you were innocent and were wrongfully convicted and imprisoned, how would you handle it?

I think an entirely unbiased judge should be appointed to review this case; prosecute his adopted daughter for perjury and stealing; and possibly censure the judge and prosecutor involved. I was not aware that it was acceptable to write to Scott at the prison, and apologize for failing to do so, but that I can correct. Turn Scott Dean loose now!

Donald W. Turner

Grovetown

Comments (14)

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 03/16/13 - 07:08 am

The old lawyer question

"Were you lying then or are you lying now?"

avidreader
avidreader 03/16/13 - 07:57 am

Fairness!

I paid close attention to Mr. Dean's trial. I am perplexed by the outcome. Of course, there are always matters known to the participants that the public is not privy to; however, I believe that this man's appeal for justice shoud be revisited. His adopted daughter is not a credible voice. Why not give the man a second shot at a new trial?

myfather15
myfather15 03/16/13 - 08:32 am

I've also known Scott for

I've also known Scott for many years. His wife did my engagement and wedding pictures, I've been to his home for cookouts and by the way; the guy is a fantastic cook. He has even won several cooking competitions. But, I also know some other things about him; NOTHING to do with this case, or children at all. But some unethical things, no doubt.

After 16 years of law enforcement; one thing I've learned is that ANYTHING can happen. Nothing surprises or shocks me anymore. I've had friends and co-workers (deputies) arrested, charged and convicted of numerous crimes. Some of these were very shocking at the time, because I never thought this person would do something like this. I once had a deputy friend of mine go to prison for breaking into schools while on duty, for no other reason than to gain notoriety; so he could look like a hero for finding the break ins. It was shocking the lengths he would go to further the case, even calling in on the radio to say he was in foot pursuit with the suspects, when HE was the only suspect; which video later proved.

I knew the Chief of Police in Harlem, who was making 45k a year salary and had his own lawn care business; yet was found shopliftinig 12 dollars worth of merchandise at Wal-Mart. Can someone explain this to me? All I can say is that people will do the craziest things, which just can NOT be explained.

Yes, if Scott Dean is innocent; I pray he will get his freedom. I realize the system isn't always perfect but the vast majority of the time; the system gets it right. His case was presented before 12 jurors and he was found guilty. Maybe he SHOULD get a new trial and maybe he shouldn't. I believe I will leave that up to the people who are in charge of this, not someone using an emotional response. If there truly is a new letter from the victim, saying she was lying; I'm sure it will be heard in appeal.

This IS actually the best system in the world. If you want proof, check out S. Africa's conviction rate. But hey, if you want to kill someone, you might want to book a flight to S. Africa; where you have only a 10% chance of being convicted.Where even the detective investigating your case, is under indictment for murder. My point is that there is NO SYSTEM in the world that is perfect, because MANKING is in charge of things now. But the United States has and continues to try and improve the system, which is already the best. The people rushing to judgement and demanding the unfettered release of Scott Dean, are just as wrong as those who assumed he was guilty before the trial even started. Justice will be done, I'm confident in that. If he is truly innocent he deserves to be free and probably will be; if not he deserves to be right where he is. Stop rushing to judgement just because word of a new letter has came out. You don't know the details of this letter or how it was obtained. Whether coercion was used towards the girl, bribery, etc. There are professionals who I'm quite sure are investigating this high profile case, as we write. Let THEM do their jobs.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 03/16/13 - 08:35 am

Pursue Justice

... prosecute his adopted daughter for perjury and stealing ... (Don Turner).

Good idea, but only if a just sentence follows. The Bible tells us how to treat perjurers.

(16) If a malicious witness arises to accuse a person of wrongdoing, (17) then both parties to the dispute shall appear before the Lord, before the priests and the judges who are in office in those days. (18) The judges shall einquire diligently, and if the witness is a false witness and has accused his brother falsely, (19) then you shall do to him as he had meant to do to his brother. So you shall purge the evil from your midst. (20) And the rest shall hear and fear, and shall never again commit any such evil among you. (21) Your eye shall not pity. It shall be life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot (Deuteronomy 19:16-21 English Standard Version).

But if there's no intent to administer justice, why waste taxpayers' money on another trial?

JRC2024
JRC2024 03/16/13 - 09:03 am

my father, you write good

my father, you write good letters. Maybe you should change jobs.

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/16/13 - 09:29 am

How could the unsubstantuated word of a

teenager send an innocent man to prison? Something is missing? Something was presented in that courtroom under oath that the AC reading public has not heard.

God help us all if a single child can accuse you of being a pervert, when they may not know the definition of a pervert, and send you to jail.

If an verbal accusation without other evidence renders a guilty verdict, then not only does Scott need to be freed, but many others.

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/16/13 - 09:33 am

Is Scott allowed to wear his Superman Shirt...

in prison. Maybe when he comes home. A man who will violate the sanctity of marriage is not a superman. Not only his own marriage, but that of a man who is in a military battle zone.

As for all of the who base his innocence on his reputation, reputation is what you present yourself to be. CHARACTER is what you are when you are alone and think no one can see you.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/16/13 - 10:06 am

MyFather

You do have some unsavory friends - shoplifting, etc and they are cops, etc! Hope you always carry your gun :)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/16/13 - 11:29 am

I said it before, myfather is in the wrong profession. I have never seen any of his comments that weren't writen with lack of common sense.

mll
mll 03/16/13 - 12:07 pm

To my father

This IS the best legal system in the world & one of the reasons is that we recognize that the system is only as good as the individuals administering it. Mistakes have been made & will be made in the future-we know that. However, we go back & try to change things if errors are made. That is the appeal process. I was at the trial & privy to several facts in the case. I do not believe that justice was served at all. I agree with Mr. Turner that there were gross errors made & they were more than likely due to politics or personal vendettas. It was not a fair trial-evidence was suppressed & very few facts were submitted. There was no evidence submitted, just the young lady's word against Scott. That translates into not proven without a reasonable doubt. Emotion & politics ruled the day in the first trial-hopefully logic & facts will prevail in a second.

As far as what you've learned through your friends, yes people are wacko at times, we all can be but due to your job you observed the worst of some. BUT to imply that Scott Dean was likely to be guilty since you "knew" some possible unethical things he'd said or done in other facets of his life is disgusting. It's amazing to me how a lot of people pull little tidbits out about Scott that they didn't like. Then based on those bits of information surmise that it would not be a stretch for him to be guilty of child molestation. Yet you think our system of justice worked in this case. That is what the jury did. They heard about the "texting" with a county employee, they heard about the event when he was 14, so based on those facts it was easy to conclude that he's probably guilty. THAT is what convicted Scott. And the fact that he was a rising star in local politics that got "too big for his britches" according to many.
I think beyond a reasonable doubt this county does owe Mr. Dean a new trial.

Darby
19139
Darby 03/16/13 - 04:33 pm

"I was not aware that it was...

acceptable to write to Scott at the prison, and apologize for failing to do so, but that I can correct."
There must be some reason, other than having been living under a rock, not to know you can write to someone in prison or jail. I'm just trying to determine what that reason might be.

Perhaps it lies in the definition of the word "acceptable".

In the meantime, if this guy is truly innocent, then someone needs to speed up the review process and get him the heck out of there.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/16/13 - 05:22 pm

I do not know Scott Dean or

I do not know Scott Dean or anyone connected to the case. But I tried to pay close attention to all of the information that was available to the public and what was written about evidence presented at the trial. My belief is that Dean was convicted on the repulsiveness of the charges rather than credibility of the evidence. It would appear to me that the adopted daughter has questionable credibility. Maybe I missed something or maybe there was hard evidence that was not reported in the press. If not, I think that at a minimum Dean should get a new trial with a different, non-CC politics affiliated judge. Just from what I've read I still have "reasonable doubt".

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/16/13 - 08:07 pm

Scott's CC political handlers gave him plenty of rope...

his childish non family values antics finally became an embarrassment. Remember Joey Brush. Private corporations will allow a certain amount of indiscretion by its "managers', until it becomes and embarrassment.

Maybe the CC handlers are punishing him. Ringing his bell??

Was the adopted daughter able to describe Scott's genitals? Surely she was not privy to his privies prior to the alleged crime? He exposed himself to me. Exposed what to you? Which what are you talking about? You know, himself? Himself, who?
Was he cut? Is he a natural blonde? Habla ingles????

Sad day, He said, she said, he is off to prison and labeled a child molester for life. Oh wait. They didn't put this on him, did they? This may be the missing piece of the Dean Puzzle.

Guilty but not really guilty. No. The guilty that places you on a special list for every.

Interesting developments in the "I lied to punish Scott Dean Reality Show." A sure Jerry Springer winner for CC.

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/16/13 - 08:12 pm

Were you there at the time of the alledged exposure?

Mr. Turner? You believe he is innocent. Prison are filled with men just like you who believe they are innocent as well. An opinion. Not fact. Thousands of church members and world wide followers supported Jimmy Swaggart. Thousands of parish members supported their evil priests. Why is your evidence of reputation, not character, any more valid than these other true believers?

myfather15
myfather15 03/16/13 - 08:47 pm

@mll

Maybe I missed something in my own post; but the purpose of my post was to tell BOTH sides, those for his unfettered release AND those wanting him to rot in prison; to let the SYSTEM work itself out.

Maybe you should read it again, because I NEVER implied Scott was guilty of ANYTHING. I specifically stated that the information I know about, how NOTHING to do with this case, or children at all. I never implied he was guilty in that statement. I also referred to other people who did unethical acts, which surprised me because I knew them. The point of that is to tell people that JUST because you've known a person you whole life, doesn't mean they COULDN'T have committed an atrocious act.

I also didn't say the justice system worked in THIS CASE, check it again. I said it works the vast majority of the time. BUT, I do believe the system will eventually work in this case, through appeals. IF, his defense presents enough evidence and testimony (Alleged notes from victim/with victim testimony about said note); I DO believe Scott will get a new trial. BUT, I will say again; people on media WEBSITES are calling for the unfettered release of Scott Dean, simply because THEY believe he was wronged and is innocent. Well, if we went by friends, family and those who THINK they know something; we wouldn't have a single person in the prison system.

Here is a further clue; I did NOT imply that he was guilty, and YOU were the only one indicated I did. BUT, 12 jurors not only implied his guilt, but FOUND him guilty; and until it is overturn by the appeals court, he remains a man, FOUND GUILTY. So no, I wouldn't join ANYONE in calling for his unconditional release; until his innocence is proven in court. I just find it hard to listen to a few people ON HERE, who clearly have a love affair with Scott Dean, over a panel of 12 Jurists, who listen to the evidence presented in Court.

Another question; Are you a Superior Court Judge or an attorney? Do you know what evidence is actually admissible? Did his defense attorney not object to evidence presented? If the objection was over ruled, did the Judge make an error in law in over ruling the objection? You realize if the Judge made an error in the law, in over ruling an objection, that IS grounds for a new trial, by itself. So, have his defense attorneys filed for this new trial because of the error by the Judge? Since YOU say evidence was admitted, that shouldn't have been; I would like to know your credentials in the area of law. Until YOU"VE proven you know more about admissible evidence, than the Superior Court Judge, I'll take his word over yours. ALL I've stated is for both sides to sit back, remain calm and let the professionals (Including Scott's lawyers) do their jobs.

Lakeside95 03/16/13 - 09:48 pm

MyFather

If you had been in the courtroom for the Dean Trial you would know the answers to many of your questions. Let me see if I can help you.

You seem to have faith in the system. We all know systems fail. The 'justice' system failed on multiple levels; not just for Scott Dean but for his children and his family.

You stated you know nothing about this case specifically. Then why comment? There is the adage 'better to keep silent and have them think you a fool rather than speak and remove all doubt'. Just because you know 'unethical' and 'immoral' people does not mean that Dean is one of those people. If anything, it shows that you need new friends.

If you truly believe that the 'system' will work itself out, great! You have faith in a broken system. The Georgia State House just had a vote on paying a man over 5 Hundred Thousand Dollars to pay reparations for a murder conviction that was found to be the result of perjured testimony. (House Resolution 73 http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20132014/128821.pdf) So there is at least one example of the 'system' gone wrong.

You are troubled by the media 'WEBSITES' that have comments calling for his immediate release? Were you as troubled by the comments prior to and during his trial calling for his immediate tar and feathering? This case was tried in the media long before the first jurist was chosen. There was no way that even a great justice system could have offered Dean an opportunity for a fair trial.

I do know exactly what evidence was ruled admissible and what evidence was not allowed in. The Motion for New Trial was heard in June of 2012, by the Judge that heard the case. Do you really believe that a judge (especially one like Blanchard) would ever rule himself out of order and grant a new trial? And I am willing to state for the record that I (and my dog) know more about admissible evidence than Judge Blanchard.

In reality, this trial was a waste of taxpayer dollars and a waste of time for all involved. There was never going to be a fair trial for Dean. The media had turned this horrific situation into a circus. The only winners after this trial were Parks White (the ADA), who parlayed this 'victory' into a winning campaign for DA in the Northern Judicial Circuit and the political machine, which took out a viable candidate and one that was a danger to many of the established officials.

mll
mll 03/16/13 - 10:07 pm

myfather15

The implication re Dean's guilt was in your first paragraph, by saying Dean was a good cook, his wife was a good photographer, "But, I also know some other things about him; NOTHING to do with this case, or children at all. But some unethical things, no doubt."
In my opinion, in this sentence you place doubt in the reader's mind that even if he is not proven guilty of child molestation, he's definitely guilty of something. That is what I meant. In my opinion many others felt that Mr. Dean however innocent he may be in the charge of child molestation he was guilty of several other things, the scandal with the county employee, the history of being a sexual predator as was insinuated by the ladies from West Virginia in court when he was 13 or 14, or the laughable item that he wore a Superman t-shirt to a public event. All of these seemed to have an effect on what the public thought of him during his trial therefore it is not a stretch to speculate that the same information had an effect on the jury. The jury did have access to the radio & newspapers prior to the trial & during it.

I am not calling for the unconditional release of Scott Dean. I am willing to allow the appeal process to work however due to the fact that Scott Dean is in a very dangerous place I implore those in power to hasten his appeal process. Since you're in law enforcement I would imagine that you know his very existence in prison as a convicted child molester is a extremely dangerous situation.

I also find objection with your use of the term "love affair with Scott Dean" as it sounds petty & sarcastic, & in very poor taste. You seem surprised that there are people in this area that think a great deal of Scott Dean & are upset with his incarceration. I question the sincerity of your friendship which leads you to offset his good qualities with the possibility of "other things" that you know about him.

As far as my qualifications in law, I am not an attorney, a judge, or any officer of the court. I don't need to prove to you or anyone how my opinions are formed. I watched the trial & had access to some additional information & from that I concluded there were some errors made. I believe both sides are aware of those errors & they will be addressed within the appeals. I am only concerned that the appeals can take several months & I, like his close friends & family am concerned with Mr. Dean's health & welfare until those appeals are heard. With the added information of this letter by his daughter/victim I would hope that the authorities are just as concerned that a possible innocent man is in prison. At this point (note- sarcasm is meant here) I'm sure that all the people on the prosecution side are all worried they may have caused an innocent man to go to prison, don't you agree?

stopabuseofpower
stopabuseofpower 04/07/13 - 09:59 am

In the beginning of this case

In the beginning of this case a statement was made by an unreliable so called victim that put it into the hands of Juvenile Court or should have. At that point a non paid guardian ad litem should have been appointed,but instead a paid guardian ad litem was appointed Janet Weinberger. At this point instead of gathering the facts,she sides with the accuser,the prosecution and ignores completely what the actualy facts are. Then as in many other cases she has handled..an innocent man is victimized and sent to jail..ruining his life,his families life and allowing a girl who told a lie to get away with it. THen as all things do,the truth comes out. We have to look at the beginnings of this action...the guardian denied their right to have an outside evaluator come in,instead using someone here in Augusta that is known to side with the guardian. It appears Mr. Dean was hung before he even got into court. You never know what a person is capable of,even one you love and respect,but this was a case from the beginning that should have included a GAL from Juvenile Court..non paid,that would have nothing to gain from her investigation..one that gets paid has everything to gain. In a juvenile court action the name of the guardian would have never been revealed....something was wrong with this case from the beginning..and as soon as I saw Janet Weinbergers name on it I knew it.