Constituents deserve better

I do not live in Richmond County. I am blessed to live in Columbia County. I base this statement on my opinion that, for the most part, the government of Augusta/Richmond County should be pitied. Will this group ever learn to put others before self?

I have many friends who live in Richmond County, and I feel sympathy for them. Is it possible that they deserve better from some of their elected government officials? It is appalling to think that, as public servants, these officials would not have more to offer their constituents.

I learned Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver, who is the exception to the rule, earns less than $76,000 per year. I applaud Mayor Copenhaver for accepting his responsibilities for such a minute salary. You would think that most with his range of duties would demand more. But it appears that Mayor Copenhaver is a public servant with a conscience.

I only wonder who was out to lunch when the vote was cast to increase salaries of other officials in Richmond County. Is it a thought that if anyone may have earned a raise in salary, it might have been the mayor who has been on the job for a while?

William P. Ashmore Jr.

Evans

Comments (7)

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/14/13 - 06:03 am

Another Raise

Great, all we need is another raise. The mayor's position is a figurehead, part-time position. Deke couldn't portray the role any better with his timid ways. The city administrator is SUPPOSED to run things for the Commission, but that's another story.

americafirst
americafirst 03/14/13 - 07:15 am

I disagree, RM. The position

I disagree, RM. The position of Augusta mayor is a full time position.

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/14/13 - 09:38 am

A full time figure head then.

Deke is okay with the salary because he has "bigger fish to fry" that the sinking ARC. Look out Washington DC. His handlers manage to keep him "lean and clean" from all of the corruption in ARC. Deke the Meek. Sounds more like a Pope.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/14/13 - 10:00 am

Augusta's mayor position is a

Augusta's mayor position is a full time position but it also is basically a figurehead position since the mayor doesn't have a vote except to break a tie.....which never happens due to cowardly abstains and walk-outs by the "if I don't win every time I'll take my ball and go home" children on the commission. I sincerely believe Deke is happy it happens that way since he doesn't like to get involved in contentious issues. At MOST, Augusta's mayor is an elected marketing/public relations position. Throw in Deke's propensity to avoid confrontation and controversy and that solidifies his figurehead/marketing/public relations status. As a marketing/public relations job, Deke's pay is about right for what he does.

As for the rest of them.....all they are good for is to spend more money. None of them have solved one problem. They ignore, postpone, and pay someone to study.......but they have not solved one problem. But they can always agree to spend money that we don't have based on projected income from sales taxes that may, or may not, materialize. The rest of them are absolutely useless.....a bunch of children on a playground pushing and shoving each other. Especially those who support a political party that historically complains about the disparity of pay between the bosses and workers but who, as soon as they take office, weasel themselves a 15% pay raise while their employees haven't had a cost of living raise in years. And our playground commissioners did that just to give the other side another little push.

Darby
19139
Darby 03/14/13 - 12:19 pm

"Is it possible that they deserve....

better from some of their elected government officials?"

Is it possible that there is any doubt?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/14/13 - 03:26 pm

Deke's schedule

I'd like to see a calendar of Deke's schedule. He does come in most mornings to his credit, but he is not working a full time schedule by any stretch of the imagination. Heck, he probably has his training time for the Iron Man on his calendar. Actually, that's probably a sure bet.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 03/14/13 - 07:45 pm

Augusta/ Richmond County

If you want to see Augusta's future just look to the west. Atlanta is mismanaged ,dysfunctional and is run by a bunch of crooks who enrich themselves, their families and their friends, all at the taxpayers expense. The only areas that are well run are the counties north of Atlanta. Just like columbia county and north Augusta which are areas developed by those who escaped Richmond county.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 03/14/13 - 08:34 pm

Restraint

Thank you, dear Lord, for helping me to exercise restraint and not write what I first thought of the letter writer's put down of the elected officials and citizens of Richmond County.

Pedestrian killed on Mike Padgett Highway

Around 8:15 p.m., Richmond County deputies responded to calls of a traffic accident in the 3100 block of Mike Padgett Highway and the intersection of Payton Drive. The victim, who has not been ...