Why oppose gay marriage?

This is in response to several articles I’ve read lately on the issue of homosexuality and gay marriage.

OK, I get that there is a general consensus on the fact that homosexuality is against the ideals set forth by God and nature and all that jazz. What I don’t understand is how letting gay people get married has any negative effect on me, or anyone else for that matter.

I don’t understand why I need to make it my business, socially speaking, to oppose it. I understand opposing it morally, but I’m also morally opposed to polygamy. However, I personally don’t make it my business to be concerned with the state of other people’s relationships in general.

If I had it my way, the government wouldn’t recognize marriage at all. Marriage is about a personal commitment between two people. Why the government needs to get involved in that in any way, shape or form, I’m not sure. That being said, if a gay person gets married, it doesn’t harm anybody, so I can’t find any reason to put forth energy in stopping them (legally speaking). I simply say live and let live.

No one can take away your right to your moral opinion, and if you personally believe gay marriage is wrong, then don’t marry someone of the same sex! The rest doesn’t affect you, and God will be the source of any further moral judgement.

This seems pretty sensible to me, and I just don’t get why a lot of people don’t see this perspective.

Dallas Duff

Evans

InChristLove 03/10/13 - 01:58 pm
Duffstuff, what difference

Duffstuff, what difference does it make how many gay people you know or are close to or whether you have considered walking in their shoes? To pacify your curosity, I have a couple of relatives who happen to be homosexual and we come from a very close family so I'd say we've gotten to know each other well. Some have been brought up in the church and so have not. Some approve, other's do not. Just because I dispprove of someone's behavior does not mean I do not love that person dearly, want what is best for them, or accept them. I still think what they are doing is wrong, they know it, but I'm not going to stand on a soap box and preach to them every time I see them. I have my beliefs and views and they respect that and they have their beliefs and views and I respect that, but that doesn't mean in order to have a relationship with them, love them, understand them, I must accept their sinful behavior and agree that it is okay with what they are doing. I can be against homosexual behavior and gay marriage and still be friends and family with gays. Why is that so hard for you to understand? I'm beginning to think this is more of a personal issue you may have and it appears you are seeking the need of acceptance. Seriously, if you are homosexual, that is your business and people will either accept it or not accept it. You are still God's creation and He loves you and wants to have a relationship with you but in order to have that you have to accept that He is the Authority and although we might not like some things, He knows best and He is God, we are not. We don't have to like or approve of everything someone does in order to love or care for someone but likewise, if we don't approve we shouldn't have to sit back and keep quiet or not voice our opinion/beliefs.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 03/10/13 - 04:05 pm
@InChristLove, the issue I

@InChristLove, the issue I raised is the illogical hate that necessarily follows when one decides that sexual orientation is a determining factor in who can be a Christian. There is no way Jesus would EVER support that. It is not God's way. It is the way of people who either lack understanding or lack empathy.

InChristLove 03/10/13 - 05:45 pm
WBC, I must have missed

WBC, I must have missed something. Where in these conversations did anyone stated that sexual orientation was the deciding factor on who can or can not be a Christian?

I believe what most Christians believe is that to be a Christian the only thing that is required is to believe that Christ is the living son of God, that he died on a cross for your sins and that you accept him as Lord and Master of your life. Nothing more, nothing less. Your sexual orientation has nothing to do with it.

Now, we all sin because we are human and homosexual behavior may be one of those sins you commit but thankfully we have a very loving Father who forgives but with that forgiveness has to come repentance which means a turning away from sin in order to have a relationship with Christ. That sir is God's Way.

carcraft
carcraft 03/10/13 - 06:00 pm
We struggle with our sinful

We struggle with our sinful nature. The best analogy I can come up with is that of a sweet gum tree I had cut down. When we accept Christ we are new creatures but unfortunately the roots of evil are entangled in our mind, body and soul. The dead sweet gum tree kept sending up shoots from the roots, just as the roots of sin in our lives keep sending up shoots that may ensnare us or cause us to stumble. As we grow and mature we find we are better able by the endwelling of the Holy Spirit to control our sinful nature and desires and put on the new man. It is a continous war and as the apostlePaul said, I do the things I don't want to do and not do the things I should do! My sinful sexual lust is no better or worse than a homosexuals, I just don't ask the Church to celebrate it or the world to endorse it!

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 03/10/13 - 06:13 pm
The best analogy I can come

The best analogy I can come up with is that your analogies are so far off base with respect to what homosexuals ACTUALLY go through that it is laughably ignorant. No one is asking you to support adultery. If you are gay, and the church does not accept gay marriage, then celibacy is your only option if you want to repent. However, the scientific knowledge that sexual orientation is biologically determined by birth gives us the knowledge that scripture against homosexuality, which was penned by man and not by God or Christ, was mistaken. Loving devoted homosexual couples can contribute positively to society, and to church, and allowing them to be married is the right thing to do. That is not celebrating anyone's lust - it is celebrating their love and commitment. Being gay is not like being lustful or being a pedophile - it is pretty much just like being a heterosexual except that your orientation is different. You can live a very pious life as either a homosexual or heterosexual, and you can live a very sinful life either way, too. Unless you decide that repentance means you cannot be with people you love - if that is your choice then you will be kicking otherwise good people out of your church for being born that way.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 03/10/13 - 08:02 pm
WBC, the difference between

WBC, the difference between your argument and ICL's is your's is man-centered and ICL's is God-centered. There are no mistakes in God's Word.

Just so you know, I do not hate. Anyone who knows me, would say my nature is one of forgiveness, and sometimes much too easily for my own protection.

I do know and have friendships with those who either practice homosexuality, adultery, fornication, lying and idolatry or have loved ones who do. Their struggles do not change my love or my acceptance of them. When asked, I point them to God. I can't change them, help them, heal them or save them. I couldn't do it for myself, either. Only God can change a heart.

This subject touches a painful place for so many and it breaks my heart to know that anyone is hurting over this.

It further causes me to grieve that there is one who not once, but continuously submits letters to the editor on this subject for their enjoyment of inciting commenter's against each other while hiding behind a facade of fake understanding.

Our God knows each of our hearts and will judge us, not by what we say, or what we do, but by the motivation of our own hearts.

For all of us in our individual sins...

We can't...
GOD CAN...
Why don't we let HIM?

carcraft
carcraft 03/10/13 - 08:20 pm
WBC We are told that all of

WBC We are told that all of nature was affected by the fall. Some gays I have known were promiscuous beyond anything in the heterosexuals community. One fellow in Korea had had over 30 different sexual partners by his own admission in ONE MONTH. Gueton Dugeua (spelling) of "And The Band Played On " could not remember all his sexual partners per month. You had the bath houses, VD epidemics including the AIDS epidemic that decimated the gay community, all related to promiscuous behavior! The author of "And The Band Played On " (who was gay and died of Aids) documented the promiscuity of the gay community. Sex with strangers (called cruising) occurs (show me a heterosexual phenomena that is similar) . Then tell me gays and heterosexuals are the same!

carcraft
carcraft 03/10/13 - 08:35 pm
One hotch mate in Korea who

One hotch mate in Korea who was gay (we each had our own room, shared bath and kitchen facilities) was so busy cruising and hooking up he was always screwing up his job! One of my other hotch mates, a physic nurse, got concerned because our gay hotch mate had a melt down on the phone because he had been out late and failed to get the transportation for a couple of Generals and Colonels. I never had another officer I served with neglect his duty like this guy did!

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 03/11/13 - 07:51 am
@carcraft, no one is

@carcraft, no one is suggesting that legalizing gay marriage is sanctioning promiscuity!!! If you said you were a supporter of heterosexual marriage would that make you a supporter of promiscuity? NO. There are gay couples who love and are devoted to each other. These are the people that are considering getting married. There are lots of promiscuous heterosexuals, but that doesn't cheapen marriage for heterosexuals.

In 1820, if you argued that slaves should be freed, people would argue you were making a "man-centered" argument instead of a "God-centered" argument that the Southern Baptist preachers used to argue that slavery was appropriate as dictated in the scriptures. Today everyone realizes those slavery arguments made by the church were also not only man-centered, but morally wrong. The reality is that ALL the arguments in the bible, save those DIRECTLY attributable to Jesus, have their origins in man, and not in God. Men wrote all the books of the bible. What Jesus would do has to be inferred from his statements, and his actions.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 03/11/13 - 10:44 am
Jesus IS God

WBC, you do know that Jesus IS God don't you? God in the flesh.
So what does God say, becomes the question.

InChristLove 03/11/13 - 10:32 am
"Men wrote all the books of

"Men wrote all the books of the bible. What Jesus would do has to be inferred from his statements, and his actions."

This is why we will never agree. Men may have penned the words of the Bible but the Bible is the inspirational words of God, His breath that He breathed out by using the Holy Spirit, spoken to man in order that we would have His written Word. Because you do not believe that to be so, nothing in scripture you can believe. You don't get to pick and choose which portion you like and the other that you disagree with decide it's not God's Word. God clearly stated that a man should not lie with a man and there is no sugar coating that statement. You can argue all day long why we follow that and why other laws in the Mosaic law are not followed (because you can not understand scripture), we can argue all day long whether all of the Bible is God's Word or not and what scripture actually means but the FACT is, unless you have the Holy Spirit residing in your heart, unless you have made God the Master and Lord of your entire life (not the part you are willing to agree to but the stuff you are uncomfortable with also) then WBC, you will never come to understand the righteousness of God and will always put your feelings and your self before Amighty God. When your wants and needs become more important to you than what God wants, you will always view things as man-centered and not God-centered.

As for slavery....I'm so sick and tired of hearing that Christians believe in slavery. Well you know what, so did a lot of non-believers and just because SOME who followed the Christian faith took the guidelines of how owners should treat their slaves (which were actually indenture servants in biblical times and not slaves as we today know slaves to be) to mean that it was okay to have slaves in no way invalidates scripture stating that sexual immorality is a sin. If slavery became the norm today, those same guidelines would still apply. They don't become invalid just because slavery no longer exist. Just as the guidelines for keeping yourself sexually pure are valid. Just because we have homosexuality in society does not mean that the guidelines to keep oneself pure become invalid and somehow make homosexuality okay.

carcraft
carcraft 03/11/13 - 11:17 am
WBC you state being gay is

WBC you state being gay is like being heterosexual , I demonstrated it isn't by pointing out gay bath houses cruising , and the like that the gay life style is unique and different ! There is no equivalent to the random complete stranger sex in the heterosexual community ! I have not even got into bug parties etc that exist only in the gay community !

carcraft
carcraft 03/11/13 - 11:56 am
WBC- You seem to miss where I

WBC- You seem to miss where I am going. I am not advocating promiscuity. I do not think gay marriage promotes promiscuity. I am trying to explain that Our institutions and culture have evolved around marriage between heterosexuals because of the function of families to raise children. I demonstrated that in trying to force homosexual marriage and relationship recognition into the frame work that exists for heterosexuals is creating problems such as the favoritism now shown to gays in the military over heterosexuals. I have demonstrated by case law the problems created for sperm donors when gay marriages disolve. There is no mechinism in homosexual child custody cases to assign child support unless the child is adopted by both parties. So a sperm donor is on the hook for child support. There are two hunderd years of case law that have resulted in this structure. Are we just to throw it out and ignore it? I have demonstrated that there are differances in the homosexual community that are unique to that community. Some how you still miss the point that gay relationships ARE NOT the same as heterosexual relationships The institutions of OUR society, from the legal to the military and every thing in between are not structured for these types of relationships. So lets just change two hunderd years of history, law etc so a minority of the poplulation can get "married"?

duffstuff
duffstuff 03/11/13 - 12:10 pm
First off I am not gay.

First off I am not gay. Secondly it's about trying to understand a persons psyche. Just saying that you disapprove of their "behavior" shows little effort to understand who they are as people and why they are the way they are. Being gay isn't something that most people just get up one day and decide to do. It's built into them which often can be seen at a young age. There almost certainly has to be biological factors at play there.

And the last thing I'll say is, why is it so hard to see the difference between what you believe, and allowing other people to hold different viewpoints in a social context? All I seem to hear is. "Well God said its wrong." Ok, fine, that is what you believe. I actually personally believe marriage is ideally between a man and a woman myself. However, what I don't subscribe to is this mentality... "I believe this, therefore everyone else in society must subscribe to it."

Why can't y'all have your own beliefs, while simultaneously letting others believe what they want to believe, and do what they want to do, so long as it doesn't hurt you. I believe that is one of the principals that allows for a free society. A gay person who wants to get married has no negative affect on me or my family or my neighbor therefore I elect to just butt out of what isn't my fight. It's putting energy into fighting against something that doesn't harm anyone. To me that's wasted energy and it's not how freedom is suppose to function. But then again we did have slavery and then legalized segregation in this country for a long time so maybe freedom and liberty is more rhetoric than anything. And I know what y'all are gonna say..."Marriage isn't a civil right." Maybe not, but they do have the right to be left alone. And the rest of us should have the decency to mind our own business and know what fights are ours and which fights are none of our business. Some of you think it is your business, but I would strongly disagree.

Hey just because its legal doesn't mean God is gonna let them into heaven, so ya'll can rest soundly at night knowing you are so righteous and that God is gonna welcome you with open arms. All the while he's got his defensive line stacked up to keep the gays out!!! (that's a joke btw) Reach out to them, pray for them, do whatever you gotta do but the likelihood of them being un gay or just choosing to be alone is slim to none. Just live and let live and let God handle the judging!

InChristLove 03/11/13 - 12:37 pm
"Just saying that you

"Just saying that you disapprove of their "behavior" shows little effort to understand who they are as people and why they are the way they are. '

How in the world did you come to that logic?

I understand full well my relatives and friends as people. I communicate and live with them daily (most of them). So are you saying that if I understood them then I should also approve of their behavior?

InChristLove 03/11/13 - 12:42 pm
"However, what I don't

"However, what I don't subscribe to is this mentality... "I believe this, therefore everyone else in society must subscribe to it."

Don't know where you get that people "MUST" subscribe to anything. I believe people on here have voiced their opinions and their belief, just as you have. No one is insisting anything, only stating what they believe should happen, just as you have. The governement will make the final decision but until we live in an unfree society I do believe everyone has a right to state what they believe. Do you have an issue with that? Are you not insisting that people believe as you do, since you are the only insisting we don't know or understand gays?

InChristLove 03/11/13 - 12:51 pm
"A gay person who wants to

"A gay person who wants to get married has no negative affect on me or my family or my neighbor therefore I elect to just butt out of what isn't my fight"

Problem is Duff, you have no way of knowing what kind of negative effect gay marriage will have on soceity. Rape, Murder, and Robbery has no effect on you, your family or your neighbor unless you, your family, or your neighbor is taught that these behaviors are now consider the normal behavior for society. Live and let live. If no one rapes, murders or robs you, it doesn't effect you. Now who's squawking that this type of behavior is not right or moral. Society has just deems these types of behavior are no longer a criminal act and so we just deal with it. That seems stupid doesn't it......just as someone with bibilcal morals feels about homosexual behavior and gay marriage could be the normal behavior for society.

InChristLove 03/11/13 - 01:01 pm
Duff, my final comment to you

Duff, my final comment to you is this, Matthew 16:26 "For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? "

Please the fleshly desires and walk as the world does and you forfeit your soul. I pray, young man, that this is not the path you have choosen for your life. You most assuredly have been taught better.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 03/11/13 - 03:20 pm
"This is why we will never

"This is why we will never agree. Men may have penned the words of the Bible but the Bible is the inspirational words of God, His breath that He breathed out by using the Holy Spirit, spoken to man in order that we would have His written Word. Because you do not believe that to be so, nothing in scripture you can believe."

There is the difference then. You are in a cult. I am a Christian. You believe that if someone wears a certain robe and stands in front of a certain audience and says God breathed words through man into a book that it is so. I know of the councils and debates that took place hundreds and hundreds of years after Christ walked on earth that argued which words should go in there, and which books should be included in the canonical literature for which branches of Christianity. Make no mistake about it. The Bible was written by men. Religion requires a certain amount of faith, and faith is boundless in appropriate considerations, but it can never be inconsistent with logic and scientific truth. When it is, religion always loses, whether it is the case of evolution, or the case of Galileo.

As a further argument, suppose L Ron Hubbard said the texts of Scientology were the words of God breathed through him. Would that make him correct? How about when Jim Jones said he was the incarnate Jesus and wrote his own canonical text and said it represented the words of God? Did his statements make it true? Can the statements of any non-divine man make it true that some text written by men is breathed through man by God? Every cult operates under the same pretenses. Christianity is not a cult. At least not the church I go to. The bible was written by men - educated men - men who had access to historical texts relevant to the foundations of Judaism and Christianity - and those men assembled those books, all written by men - into a guide for their religion. The bible was never perfect, and was contemporary for the age in which each book was written. It is a wonderful guide, but can also lead to false stances on morality.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 03/11/13 - 03:25 pm
"Problem is Duff, you have no

"Problem is Duff, you have no way of knowing what kind of negative effect gay marriage will have on soceity. Rape, Murder, and Robbery has no effect on you, your family or your neighbor unless you, your family, or your neighbor is taught that these behaviors are now consider the normal behavior for society."

Again, these comparisons occur between things that are clear crimes - violations of multiple commandments, and have victims, and gay marriage. The trouble is, gay marriage has no victims. There is no known way to "make someone gay", nor to "make someone straight" once they are born. None of the ten commandments, nor the Golden Rule, have anything to do with gay marriage. You can either accept the 3-10% of the population that is gay for what they are, or you can reject them and force them to live outside your areas of the community - where they will set up parallel churches, parallel social organizations, restaurants, clubs, in which the rule of order will be tolerance and acceptance, not bigotry and division. Which one sounds like Christianity to you?

InChristLove 03/11/13 - 03:51 pm
You stated "There is the

You stated "There is the difference then. You are in a cult. I am a Christian" I would have to disagree with you.

A Christian is a person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings. If you do not believe that the Bible is the Word of God, His teachings, then how can you believe and follow them. You can not, thereforth you are not a child of God, a Christian. If as you say your "church" is a Christian church then what is your guidance. If you do not believe that in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God, then what do you believe?

WBC, I don't believe because of some man that stands in front of a pulpit (mine does not wear a robe by the way), I KNOW because He lives in me, has changed me and I am His.

InChristLove 03/11/13 - 04:09 pm
"I know of the councils and

"I know of the councils and debates that took place hundreds and hundreds of years after Christ walked on earth that argued which words should go in there, and which books should be included in the canonical literature for which branches of Christianity"

And who do you think directed the course of the scriptures....Christ Himself. Though it was men who made the decision on which books to include, ultimately it was God, working through the Holy Spirit in those men’s hearts, who selected these books. The Bible is the one and only foundational book to which all true Christians look for guidance in their lives. If you do not believe that the Bible is the Word of God then you sir are not a Christian.

carcraft
carcraft 03/11/13 - 04:18 pm
InChristLove You are correct,

InChristLove You are correct, we simply do not know what the consequences of gay marriage will be and how it will turn out. Look at the department of education and how our education system has deteriorated over the last 40 years. Look at how the welfare system has screwed up America's poor. When Johnson started the war on poverty it has cost more than can be imagined and we have more poverty and more single parents families. We are raising man boys now. They won't assume the responsibility for the children they creat and treat women like they are boys toys. So much for Johnson's great society! It is interesting that WBC hasn't commented on the problems that have already surfaced with gay marriage and legal ramifications.

InChristLove 03/11/13 - 04:20 pm
One of the most important

One of the most important factors that proves the Bible is the Word of God is prophesies that have come true. Hundreds of prophetic passages in the Holy Bible and over half have already come to pass with a zero error rate. that is , not one prophecy has yet to be proven incorrect. This, in itself, is impossible if it were not for one thing. This one thing is that the Holy Bible was written by God who knows all of history before it happens. You can deny it all you like but it will remain true until the Lord comes again. The Bible was relevant in Jesus' time just as it is relevant in todays time, just as it will be relevant in the future.....because My God Reigns!

carcraft
carcraft 03/11/13 - 05:58 pm
InChristLove- If you treat

InChristLove- If you treat the Bible as a book written by men then you can pick and chose what to believe and what not to believe. I can decide all the passages that condemn over imbibing in alcohol and being drunk as erroneous and stay drunk.

InChristLove 03/11/13 - 06:18 pm
Well, there you go carcaft.

Well, there you go carcaft. Perfect explanation.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 03/11/13 - 06:30 pm
@carcraft, @InChristLove, all

@carcraft, @InChristLove, all "men" and "Christian denominations" decide which bible is theirs, and which verses to believe in. The bible is different in the Roman Catholic church, the Eastern Orthodox church, and many others. You can decide that the Episcopalians are not Christians for allowing women to preach, and they can decide you are not Christian for not allowing women to preach. That's pretty much the current state of affairs. Do you still follow the codes of Leviticus and Deuteronomy? No shellfish, and stone all the adulterers?! How do you decide which parts of the bible are the word of God, and which ones are outdated? Is divorce OK, as Moses said, or only OK if adultery is involved, as Jesus said? Which one spoke with the voice of God? Should we follow "an eye for an eye" as Exodus says, or "turn the other cheek" as in Matthew? If your brother dies, do you take on his wife?

In the case of prophecies, did the Nile dry up, as prophesized in Isaiah 19? In Exodus 23 God tells Moses the Israelites will defeat every enemy they encounter. In Genesis 12 God promises Abraham the land of other tribes. Never got it. Ezekiel 28 predicts Israel will always get along with its neighbors. I guess we see how that one worked out. The bible is full of unfilled prophecies to anyone that looks at it without making up their mind a priori.

Of course the bible is still relevant. But its interpretation must keep in mind it was written by men who meant well, and did the best they could in writing books appropriate for the times in which they lived. We can do the same, or we can live in a 2000 year old world.

carcraft
carcraft 03/11/13 - 07:57 pm
WBC, you miss some points

WBC, you miss some points Isreal sinned with the Golden calf so they had a much toughter row to hoe if you read ealier verses of Exodus 23. The land of Isreal was inhabitated by other tibes when Abraham settled there, Ezekial is an after history promise. The Bible said Isreal would become a nation again in a day. Happened in 1948. The Bibile told us Jews would return from around the world, Isaiah 43:5-6,21 - "Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. I will say to the north, `Give them up!' and to the south, `Do not hold them back.' Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth..." We have been told Isreal would become a stumbling block and that it would be surrounded by enemies. Well here we are, not bad for something written 2,000 years ago! I expect InChrist Love will give a better discourse.

InChristLove 03/11/13 - 08:51 pm
WBC, you don’t seem to

WBC, you don’t seem to understand what makes you a Christian but that is understandable. Christianity is not based on what you do or who you are but what He has done and Who He is. You are so far out in left field that it is such a waste of time. You refuse to even try to listen because your heart is hard and your ears are deaf. If you understood anything about scripture you would know why we do not follow the civil laws under the Mosaic Laws mentioned in Levitcus and what it means to be under the New Covenant. It’s not a matter of deciding what part to follow and what part is outdated because it is all relevant and truth. You just have to be guided by the Holy Spirit to understand it. To those who do not know Christ, it is like reading a different language you are not familiar with. You must believe before your heart can comprehend and I am so sorry that you can not because it is such a beautiful love language.
As for prophesies….so out of 1,239 you have choosen 4 to prove your point. How are we to know that these prophesies have not or will not be filled. It’s possible that these have not been fulfilled and may not be filled until the Lord’s return. As for the prophesy concerning Abraham and God’s promise in Genesis 12. God’s promise is that all the nations of the earth will be blessed through Abraham. Scripture in Matthew, Acts and Galatians evidences the fulfillment of this prophecy. All the nations of the earth are blessed by and through Christ. Christ is the ultimate fulfillment of the promises to Abraham. And since you think you are so informed, you might want to go back and read Ezekiel 28. This is in reference to the fall of Satan, not Israel getting along with it’s neighbors.

InChristLove 03/11/13 - 08:55 pm
Actually it is in Genesis 15

Actually it is in Genesis 15 where God promise land to Israel.

Genesis 15:18 declares, "To your descendants [Abraham's] I give this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the Euphrates." God later confirms this promise to Abraham's son Isaac, and Isaac's son Jacob (whose name was later changed to Israel). When the Israelites were about to invade the Promised Land, God reiterated the land promise, as recorded in Joshua 1:4, "Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates — all the Hittite country — to the Great Sea on the west."

With Genesis 15:18 and Joshua 1:4 in mind, the land God gave to Israel included everything from the Nile river in Egypt to Lebanon (North to South) and everything from the Mediterranean Sea to the Euphrates River (West to East). So, what land has God stated belongs to Israel? All of the land modern Israel currently possesses, plus all of the land of the Palestinians (the West Bank and Gaza), plus some of Egypt and Syria, plus all of Jordan, plus some of Saudi Arabia and Iraq. Israel currently possesses only a fraction of the land God has promised."

But Christ has not returned yet and there is still time for the promise to be fulfilled and it will be fulfilled because God doesn't break promises.