Why oppose gay marriage?

This is in response to several articles I’ve read lately on the issue of homosexuality and gay marriage.

OK, I get that there is a general consensus on the fact that homosexuality is against the ideals set forth by God and nature and all that jazz. What I don’t understand is how letting gay people get married has any negative effect on me, or anyone else for that matter.

I don’t understand why I need to make it my business, socially speaking, to oppose it. I understand opposing it morally, but I’m also morally opposed to polygamy. However, I personally don’t make it my business to be concerned with the state of other people’s relationships in general.

If I had it my way, the government wouldn’t recognize marriage at all. Marriage is about a personal commitment between two people. Why the government needs to get involved in that in any way, shape or form, I’m not sure. That being said, if a gay person gets married, it doesn’t harm anybody, so I can’t find any reason to put forth energy in stopping them (legally speaking). I simply say live and let live.

No one can take away your right to your moral opinion, and if you personally believe gay marriage is wrong, then don’t marry someone of the same sex! The rest doesn’t affect you, and God will be the source of any further moral judgement.

This seems pretty sensible to me, and I just don’t get why a lot of people don’t see this perspective.

Dallas Duff

Evans

Pal
Pal 03/09/13 - 05:55 pm
ICL's 10:07 and 2:05

I am ok with gay marriage (wouldn't advocate for it or against it), but even I have to admit that ICL has made some very good points.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/09/13 - 06:09 pm
WBC if we can not argue that

WBC if we can not argue that homosexual behavior is immoral then we can not argue that pedophilia is immoral. Just because you think pedophilia is immoral not everyone else does. If society accepts it then it will become the norm. Also, no where have I stated that I because of the church I believe homosexual or pedophilia conduct is immoral. That is an opinion you drew upon your on conclusion I assume because of my poster name. I have made my point without bringing in the church, scripture, or Christ, although those are some every good reasons to think it is sin.

So let me see if I understand you Walter, since the church was wrong concerning interracial marriage, since the church was wrong about slavery, then the church is wrong about everything else it stands for including homosexuality. So I guess the church is wrong about loving your neighbor, the church is wrong about helping the orphans and widoes, the church is wrong about helping the poor and needy, the church is wrong about murder, lying, gossiping, cheating being wrong.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/09/13 - 06:11 pm
Duff, son, please go do some

Duff, son, please go do some bible study on the Old Testament and how God handled sinful nature within the nation of Israel. How did he take care of the nations who turned their back on God. If you want the United States to follow that route, then continue to believe as the world does and never take a stand for the righteousness of God.

trimmy
trimmy 03/09/13 - 06:36 pm
gay marriage

If it doesn't affect me, why should I care? I'll tell you. It's wrong. I don't hate gays but no matter what anyone says, being gay is not is not how this gig was set up. I can't explain it and I can't do anything about it but just because gays are accepted doesn't make it right.

Jane18
Jane18 03/09/13 - 07:01 pm
We have many choices.......

...while we are here on this earth, but, there are only two choices for the Great Hereafter...........think about it!

OJP
OJP 03/09/13 - 07:44 pm
@Little Lamb: I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Scientific knowledge is knowledge obtained via science. Words have multiple meanings...

carcraft
carcraft 03/09/13 - 08:31 pm
In Christ. Love I refuse to

In Christ. Love I refuse to concede Christians had the wrong view on slavery! It was ended largely because of Christians and Christian virtue. Wilberforce was the driving person behind ending it in England and structuring the end of slave trading out of British colonies! Abolitionist in America were largely Christian! Many in the civil rights groups were active because of Christian beliefs! Some sectors of Christianity may have had it wrong!

scoobynews
scoobynews 03/09/13 - 08:38 pm
You guys take stuff way to

You guys take stuff way to serious such as my response to pal. Yes! Shocking as it may be there are women who marry not for love but for the sake of being married. Glad your own child had a picture prefect event but when you are on marriage number 2 and you have 2 preteen kids to support spending $20,000 is just plain sickening. The needs of your children should come first not your need to show off for the crowd. Weddings today are ridiculous and all about the mighty dollar. Where in the bible does it say go into debt to be united in holy matrimony? Geez give me a break.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/09/13 - 08:41 pm
You All (For or Against) Homosexuality

have not covered one important point.

First, let me make it real clear that I could give a Rat's butt about what other humans do outside of my life and family. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if you parade down Broad Street holding a cow by the tail or have a wedding ring on your prized sheep. It your life and it isn't going to affect me or my family.

We all know that there is only a very small percentage of those type humans on this earth. What is really hard to accept is the power they have had to make the government and society to believe in there life style. Demanding legal marriages, making the military to honor them, and even forcing the BS of America to accept them.

Fine....It is now the Government's problem, The Military problem and even the BS's problem. I'm not strongly affect yet......

But*** if an when their power causes this bill that has been submitted in congress "Passes", You then are affecting my family and future family to the highest degree.

I posted this a few day ago and never got a commit on it:

Armed with the full weight of the Obama Administration, the deceptively named "Student Non-Discrimination Act" is expected to come up for a vote in the new Congress.

If passed, the Homosexual Classrooms Act would:

*** Require schools to teach appalling homosexual acts so "homosexual students" don't feel "singled out" during already explicit sex-Ed classes;

*** Spin impressionable school children in a whirlwind of sexual confusion and misinformation, even peer pressure to "experiment" with the homosexual "lifestyle;"

*** Exempt homosexual students from punishment for propositioning, harassing, or even sexually assaulting their classmates, as part of their specially-protected right to "freedom of self-expression;"

*** Force even private and religious schools to teach a pro-homosexual curriculum and purge any reference to religion if a student claims it creates a "hostile learning environment" for homosexual students.

This is the education you parents want when you send your children to school! Do you want them to be educated on how to preform homosexual acts.......So don't tell me that your "Love Movement" will not affect me or my family!!!

harley_52
harley_52 03/09/13 - 08:55 pm
CG....

That is precisely the point I was attempting to make.

You did it well.

carcraft
carcraft 03/09/13 - 09:35 pm
Scientific is an adjective,

Scientific is an adjective, science is a noun I would think that Knowledge obtained via the Scientific method would be the correct phrase.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/09/13 - 09:51 pm
harley

I'm far from being good at putting thoughts and words down on papers as so many of you are, but most of the time I get my point across.

Thanks.

carcraft
carcraft 03/09/13 - 10:41 pm
I was referring to OJP 's

I was referring to OJP 's comment!

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/09/13 - 10:45 pm
carcraft, I'm sure by now you

carcraft, I'm sure by now you know my stance on Christianity and hope you understand that the views expressed in my 5:09pm comment were not my views but an attempt to put WBC's views into perspective. The points concerning slavery and interracial marriage is an old ploy used by those who wish to distract and justify their sin. They wish to overlook the achievement to abolish slavery by Christians because it does not support their agenda.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 03/09/13 - 11:05 pm
All I can say after cursory

All I can say after cursory glance of these posts, if I was in a pit an WIllow Baily was at the top of it, i'd dig down deeper.

duffstuff
duffstuff 03/10/13 - 12:44 am
I take a stand for my own

I take a stand for my own beliefs and decisions and stay out of others. If we are to take a legislative stance against all morality then we wouldn't have a very free society. Should I be expected to bother single people who are having sex because sex is "ideally" meant to take place in marriage? Is that my moral responsibility? Should we be enforcing some type of legal action there because apparently we can't allow immoral actions in society?

I mean, how much morality are we meant to enforce by legislation? What immoralities are acceptable in maintaining a free society? You have to allow alot of personal choices of immoralities in society in order to have a free society. The best part about that is, it allows us all to make our own decisions without big brother telling us what to do. Society can either be one that polices all kinds of immorality, or it can be free, but it can't be both. Well not unless you're willing to accept certain double standards.

I don't agree with alot of what the government does and I think personal commitments in relationships should be between the individuals only. I realize there's a tax thing thats involved in being married. Why does this have to be? Why is there a need for the government to give tax breaks to people who are married? Keep the government out of my relationships in general. That seems sensible enough to me. However that being said gay people getting married is about number 582,680,347 down on the list of things I'm concerned about.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/10/13 - 12:51 am
Method

carcraft posted:

Don't forget that a lot of junk science was discovered by the scientific method.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/10/13 - 12:55 am
We Agree!

DuffStuff wrote:

Same-sex marriage is about government benefits, not about love.

carcraft
carcraft 03/10/13 - 06:05 am
Palmetto, after viewing some

Palmetto, after viewing some posts here I would throw you the shovel!

carcraft
carcraft 03/10/13 - 06:31 am
Dustuff Tax breaks were given

Dustuff Tax breaks were given to support stable families to produce productive stable people! The government now subsidizes single parent families and they are increasing. The number of crimes, and criminals in jails is about 80% single parent family children. (To early in day to look up the figure!) . Our world is upside down. Marriage existed to support families! A married women or man was off limits.
Adultery is a sin and was a crime. Married people were assumed to be come parents, the children were assumed to be theirs and they were held responsible by society! For example, a man in Georgia divorced! It turned out the 3 or 4 year old child was not his! He was listed as father on the birth certicate and the judge ruled he is responsible for child support! When I look at these issues I see gay marriage proponents jumping off the cliff with no idea how deep the water is! Some of the posters seem to think the world will be bright and fair if gays can get married well it just ain't so and nobody lives happily ever after in this world!

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 03/10/13 - 08:53 am
"So let me see if I

"So let me see if I understand you Walter, since the church was wrong concerning interracial marriage, since the church was wrong about slavery, then the church is wrong about everything else it stands for including homosexuality."

That is a clear nonsequitor. If the church (and specifically the Southern Baptist Church) once argued that slavery was supported by the bible, and once argued that women should not vote because of scripture in the bible, and once argued that Jim Crow laws should not be repealed because of scripture in the bible, then perhaps its track record on human rights is not all that great. Multiple people have followed that the bible offers timeless truths, but that of course is also subject to the same issues. We don't live in the same culture as people did 2000 years ago. No one that I know of supports banning clothing woven from both wool and linen. The bible is a great guide for the time at which it was written. Applying it to contemporary issues is a challenge, and different churches react differently. Episcopalian churches, for example, perform gay marriage ceremonies. There has been much advancement in our understanding of the biological basis of sexual orientation in the last 30 years. It should inform what is, and what is not, bigotry in this area.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/10/13 - 10:31 am
WBC, the principles of truth

WBC, the principles of truth in scripture always remain in truth and are not based on culture or time. If God commands us to love, then we are to love no matter what the culture or year. If God commands us to be righteous, this isn't just for a time or if we live in a culture that is holy and condusive to that type of living. Truth is truth always.

You stated "No one that I know of supports banning clothing woven from both wool and linen." Well I am so glad to hear that because we are no longer under this law. This law was given to a group of people during a time for health and religious reasons which are no longer needed.

Just a side note here, the reason for not having wool and linen mixed could have possibly been due to the wearability. Most cloth that is pure is more durable which I would say walking around for 40 years would require some pretty good clothing.

As for women being subject to men. In Ephesians where it speaks of authority, Christ being over man and husband being over the wife. I wish people would actually read the whole context. Christ is over man and He instructs the husband to love his wife as Christ loves the church. If this takes place then where is the issue....If a husband is following Godly teachings and loves his wife as Christ loves the church, then in turn that husband is going to consult with his wife on matters, the two will decide matters in their life through prayer and guidance from God and yes the wife should allow the husband to be the man of the home, the leader of his family. The problem we have today is that we have men who are not Godly leaders and want to act like women and women who are not Godly wives and mothers who want to act like men.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 03/10/13 - 10:37 am
@InChristLove, that is a

@InChristLove, that is a perfect example. The considerations given to women relative to men is interpreted different by different churches. In many churches, women are forbidden from preaching at all, and in others they may only preach to women and children. In the Southern Baptist Church, women are "submissive servants" to their husbands, and may not preach if a man is in the room. In the Episcopalian church, all church roles that may be performed by a man can also be performed by a woman. Obviously women are given different rights in these churches, and there are moral differences at play. Which church is following the way of Jesus in their actions? Opinions will differ. Scripture can be used to argue for the Southern Baptist treatment of women, or for the Episcopalian treatment of women. I don't hold that a woman is any less capable of understanding and preaching scripture than a man, and I think the Episcopalian way is appropriate and has a stronger moral and religious basis.

I feel similarly about people who are gay. If someone who is gay contributes to the church, and loves and cherishes and devotes and commits himself or herself to her partner, I feel the church, and state, should recognize that commitment and devotion the same as it would for someone who is heterosexual. It is not condoning sex outside marriage. It is enabling the recognition of commitment and love and devotion to people irrespective of their sexual orientations. It still makes adultery a sin, and doesn't condone pedophilia or bestiality or any other moral issue. It is just letting gay couples come to the same table as heterosexual couples.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/10/13 - 11:00 am
The difference I see WSC is

The difference I see WSC is that one is a civil issue and the other a moral issue.

Whether women should or should not be able to teach/preach to men is a matter of interpretation of what it means for a woman to be quiet in church. What exactly does submissive mean in scripture and how does it apply. If you are going to use this stance you have to look at the true meaning and what parameters Christ put on a wife being submissive to her husband. What were the reasons behind not allowing women to be teachers of men?

On the other hand, whether a homosexual relationship is a sin or not I believe is addressed plainly in scripture and there can be no misinterpretation about God's Word to keep ourselves sexually pure within the bonds of marriage. Now you can say then let homosexuals marry, but this relationship does not follow the teachings of Christ in the guidelines He has laid out in regard to what a marriage is. There is no way you can misinterpret a husband shall leave his family and cleve to his wife and the two share become one flesh. No amount of twist scripture will change the fact that according to God's law, marriage is between a man and his wife.

You can view my opinion as being a bigot and that is fine with me. We come from two different worlds and have two different moral views that will never be the same. If society one day allows gays to marry then for the time I have left in this world I will have to deal with it. And if it never comes to be, then you will have to deal with it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/10/13 - 11:08 am
"If someone who is gay

"If someone who is gay contributes to the church, and loves and cherishes and devotes and commits himself or herself to her partner, I feel the church, and state, should recognize that commitment and devotion the same as it would for someone who is heterosexual."

The problem is, it doesn't matter how commited, or how much we donate, or how much we love.....what matters is if you are following the teachings and commandments of Christ. Are you following Him, not a bunch of personal achievements. Doesn't matter if the church allows gays to marry or whether the church allows gays to be priest or ministers, the church is not the authority, Christ Is.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/10/13 - 11:49 am
"The Supreme Court will hear

"The Supreme Court will hear oral arguments this month in a challenge to a provision of the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, that denies legally married gay and lesbian couples federal benefits available to heterosexual married couples, including tax and Social Security benefits. A decision is not expected until the end of June, but accountants and tax attorneys anticipating the 18-year-old law's demise are already encouraging same-sex couples to seek prospective tax refunds, back retirement payments and other spousal subsidies they may have been denied."

Wonder where all the back payment money is going to come from? Governement can't pay what they owe now.

duffstuff
duffstuff 03/10/13 - 12:02 pm
I wrote this once before but

I wrote this once before but never got an answer...Those of you who seem to completely disagree with everything I say I have a few questions I'm curious about:

How many gay people do you know or are you close to?
Have you ever tried to think what it would be like if you spent some time in their shoes and, felt that you were gay?
How many gay people have you sat down with and really gotten to know as people?
I'm curious how attached or detached ya'll are from a humanistic perspective?

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 03/10/13 - 01:00 pm
One of my college roommates

One of my college roommates was gay. After he knew I knew, he and I went out (with my girlfriend) to the gay dance club. Turns out I already knew dozens and dozens of gay men, all of whom knew I was straight, and all of whom were happy and relieved to see me that night, because I was accepting them. Years later I shared an office with a gay man named Ed. His father was a baptist preacher in Alabama, and had raised him in the church. It troubled my officemate to no end to know that the choices the church offered him were a life denying his sexual orientation, or a life being disowned by his own father. Ed is still disowned by his father, and works productively in biotech - he was one of the most gifted mathematicians and programmers I ever met. Ed does not attend church. Such issues are a significant, illogically unnecessary, weight on people like Ed and my old roommate. Life is hard enough without having to choose between a life in which you cannot fulfill your sexual orientation through love and devotion, and being disowned by your community. If that is what Christ wants, I want no part of that - it is far too hateful for me. But I don't believe that is what Christ wants.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/10/13 - 01:08 pm
WBC, the issue isn't what you

WBC, the issue isn't what you or I want. That's where you and other's don't get it. It's about what Christ wants. If you can't handle it then by all means, go live your life as you wish. He won't stop you.

carcraft
carcraft 03/10/13 - 01:25 pm
Gee, I am a hard worker, love

Gee, I am a hard worker, love Jesus, but at times I think sex with a lot of women other than my wife would be great! I am drawn ti it, why not? Why deny myself? I am made that way! Ooops, he that would follow Me, let him deny him self and take up his cross!

Board rejects fine arts charter school

Organizers behind a proposed fine arts charter school in Columbia County said they are optimistic state officials will approve their plan to open a school in 2015 - a plan that was unanimously ...