Why oppose gay marriage?

This is in response to several articles I’ve read lately on the issue of homosexuality and gay marriage.

OK, I get that there is a general consensus on the fact that homosexuality is against the ideals set forth by God and nature and all that jazz. What I don’t understand is how letting gay people get married has any negative effect on me, or anyone else for that matter.

I don’t understand why I need to make it my business, socially speaking, to oppose it. I understand opposing it morally, but I’m also morally opposed to polygamy. However, I personally don’t make it my business to be concerned with the state of other people’s relationships in general.

If I had it my way, the government wouldn’t recognize marriage at all. Marriage is about a personal commitment between two people. Why the government needs to get involved in that in any way, shape or form, I’m not sure. That being said, if a gay person gets married, it doesn’t harm anybody, so I can’t find any reason to put forth energy in stopping them (legally speaking). I simply say live and let live.

No one can take away your right to your moral opinion, and if you personally believe gay marriage is wrong, then don’t marry someone of the same sex! The rest doesn’t affect you, and God will be the source of any further moral judgement.

This seems pretty sensible to me, and I just don’t get why a lot of people don’t see this perspective.

Dallas Duff

Evans

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/09/13 - 12:54 am
Thanks for opening the flood

Thanks for opening the flood gates, Dallas. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the comments. But something tells me it's going to be a re-run.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 03/09/13 - 06:03 am
Gay marriage

I wonder why people do not go to the same length to stop adultery, fornication, lying, cheating and gossiping, all of which are forbidden by the Ten Commandments? Too many play the, "your sin is worse than my sin," game. Sin is sin; there is no little sin or big sin.

Dallas, I think your letter helps to expose the hypocrisy with which we live.

bumblebeerose
bumblebeerose 03/09/13 - 06:13 am
So very true!!

Mr. Duff
You are right it is none of our business how someone lives there life, unless it affects us. Two people of the same sex marrying does not effect me or anyone else. It takes nothing from me or my family so it is really none of my business.
If we paid more attention to our own families and children maybe we would not have the problems with children that we have today.
Just my thoughts!

scoobynews
scoobynews 03/09/13 - 07:23 am
I say let everyone get

I say let everyone get married - gays, your pets, and your imaginary friends!!! It is all a big racket that the helps the local government make money selling you a "license" to even get married. You are helping the economy by paying several thousand dollars for cakes, clothes, flowers, and whatever else suits your fancy. You can now file jointly giving Uncle Sam a reason to think you make too much money and takes some of yours for all the unwed mommies with multiple baby daddies. Then to make it even more fun you can go into counseling once the rose colored glasses come off and you decide you can't stand your spouse. Then you further help the economy by hiring a lawyer to help with divorce proceedings. So yes! I am all for anyone who wants to get married please do because our economy sure could use a boost!! :)

scoobynews
scoobynews 03/09/13 - 07:26 am
Truth matters!

So true!!!! Fix your own problems before you worry about some else's sin. Far to many people are out there not really doing what is right even in their marriage but yet tell others what they should be doing.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 03/09/13 - 07:28 am
"several" thousand for a

"several" thousand for a wedding? That's really slumming it, Scooby.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 03/09/13 - 07:30 am
Much of the determination of

Much of the determination of homosexuality is biological (genetic or environmental) and is done before birth. There is no evidence that any environmental factor after birth matters at all - that is - there is nothing you can do to make someone change their sexual orientation. Failure to offer full rights to homosexuals amounts to illogical bigotry, plain and simple. I don't care what your pastor or preacher says - God never intended for bigotry in any way shape or form to be walking in the ways of Jesus (who never said anything about sin and homosexuality).

And those who will compare homosexuality to adultery, or other commandments, are morally way off track. Homosexuality is not a crime. It does not break a commandment. There is no victim. No one gets hurt. A homosexual couple provide love and support for each other - and love in that form is always beautiful and in God's full graces.

The biblical verses against homosexuality were written thousands of years ago, at a time when the scientific knowledge of the determination of homosexuality was unclear. That is no longer the case today. Let's remember that pastors and preachers used biblical verse to defend slavery in the 1800s, to argue against women voting in the early 1900s, and to argue against the repeal of Jim Crow laws and civil rights in the 1960s. That's not exactly a good track record, or a valid set of arguments. The bible is a wonderful guide, but it is not contemporary, and can easily be taken out of context by those seeking to further their own agenda through any means necessary. You would be more enlightened to ask what would Jesus do if he were man on earth today? In my view (which can be different from yours), he would say do not take that away from a fellow man which is also offered to you equally, simply because his mind orients differently to love than yours.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/13 - 07:41 am
Very good post WB Cannon

Thanks for that...

200 years from now I wonder if we will even have marriage as it is today.....more than half don't last (that is what I hear anyway)....many reasons & some are all about money....I do feel a 2 parent household is best for children.......we see today what happens when a father is missing....imho.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/09/13 - 08:07 am
Fulfillment of Scripture

Fulfillment of Scripture Romans 1:18-32

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/09/13 - 08:13 am
Wrong

Letter writer Dallas Duff wrote:

Marriage is about a personal commitment between two people.

From the governmental standpoint, marriage is about benefits. For some reason, our governments (local, state, federal) have decreed that married people pay lower income taxes, estate taxes, medical insurance premiums, and receive higher social security benefits than do single people. That is why single people are trying to attain married status through the homosexual loophole. Stop the discrimination against single people and you will see the "gay marriage" bandwagon shrivel up into a pile of nothingness.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 03/09/13 - 08:27 am
I want no-fault divorce for everyone.

I served on a jury for a contested divorce trial, an experience I never want to repeat.

deestafford
31982
deestafford 03/09/13 - 08:28 am
There never has been

a civilization that sanction gay marriage. No matter what you say, homosexuality is deviate behavior. Now, before you get your panties in a wad look up the definition of "deviate". Children should be raised in a home with a Mother and a Daddy because they learn essential life skills from each gender. Statistics bear that out. Now, if two people want to live together that should not be sanctioned by the government as "marriage" and should not be sanctioned in any way. As far as "rights" of loved ones are concerned, power of attorney can handle all of those needs such as hospital visitation etc. Overall, overt homosexuality is harmful to society and by the way, the percentage of homosexuals is around 3% rather than the 10% put out by many based on the erroneous numbers put out by Kinsey.

scoobynews
scoobynews 03/09/13 - 08:44 am
Pal I was in a wedding once

Pal I was in a wedding once that cost the happy couple about $20,000 give or take. Second time bride and first time hubby with lots of guests to wish the bride who no one knew was preggers a happy marriage. It lasted all of 2 years and now the young child is shuffled back and forth between 2 states. Btw she is on number three now.

soldout
soldout 03/09/13 - 08:46 am
it is part of the prodeath movement

Just like abortion gay marriage stops life as it produces none. Sin destroys a nation and we don't get to choose what is sin. The Word tells us what is sin to protect us; not to take the enjoyment of life away. Every nation that has promoted and celebrated homosexuals self destructs. Our sins do effect others and our nation. God gives us a choice to choose blessings or curses and many are making the wrong choice for themselves and the nation. All of you know in your heart that gay sex is wrong; that's why those doing gay sex are so unhappy and angry all the time. We all know when we are sinning as it takes away our peace and joy but we try to fool others and tell them what a great time we are having. Jesus will give you joy and peace and an eternal home with Him instead of an eternity in misery. Choose a relationship with Christ and the peace and joy that brings. If you don't like it the devil will always take you back.

freeradical
freeradical 03/09/13 - 08:51 am
The real question is why are

The real question is why are civil unions which include all benefits

of marriage rejected out of hand by homosexuals every time they are

offered ?

Being able to answer this qestion will provide the answer to your

first question .

If you can do it .

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 03/09/13 - 08:55 am
Scooby, I was at a wedding

Scooby, I was at a wedding once that cost over $30,000 and the couple is still happily married and waited 11 years before they had their first child. Now, they have two beautiful girls. And, I love my grand-daughters. Over-generalization based on anecdotal evidence is a terrible thing.

americafirst
americafirst 03/09/13 - 08:59 am
Walter, consider this. There

Walter, consider this. There are pro-pedofelia groups and organizations in this couintry. These organizations advance the same argument, i.e. pedofiles are born with such a sexual orientation and it is wrong and discriminatory to criminalize natural behavior. I am not opposed to same sex marriage but just consider the consequences of your arguments and views. 50 years ago, the idea of same sex marriage was almost unheard of. 50 years from today, will the latest "civil rights" issue be the legailization of pedofilia?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/09/13 - 09:00 am
Knowledge

Mr. Cannon posted:

The noun "science" means knowledge. The adjective "scientific" therefore means knowledgeable or knowing. Thus Mr. Cannon's clause would read, “. . . when the knowledgeable knowledge was unclear.” It's a circular clause, meaning nothing.

As for the age of the biblical revelation, revealed truth is timeless.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 03/09/13 - 09:14 am
@americafirst, your argument

@americafirst, your argument comparing pedophiles to homosexuals is fundamentally flawed. Pedophilia may or may not be a natural tendency in some people, but it is not reciprocated, and there is a clear violation of inherent trust, and a clear victim. A homosexual is not looking to make people of their own gender victims!!! They are looking for similarly inclined people to engage in mutually reciprocated love and trust.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 03/09/13 - 09:16 am
@Little Lamb, people made the

@Little Lamb, people made the same arguments, in prior ages, about using revealed truth from the bible to defend human enslavement, depriving women of the right to vote, and depriving black people of equal civil rights. You may want to make the same arguments today in an effort to deprive gays of equal rights, but I would not.

carcraft
carcraft 03/09/13 - 09:19 am
I have never read a more

I have never read a more childish letter in my life. It sounds like it is written by a love smitten 16 year old! The government is interested in who is married to who because tax structure is based around the institution of marriage! Now if you are the non custodial parent yet pay for the entire support of the child and your exspouse through alimony and through child support you do not get to claim the child or exspouse on your income tax! You aren't married, got it? Two hundred years of case law says that the sperm donor and the egg donor are the parents of a child. I have brought this up multitude of times but no response! A sperm donor for a couple of "married " lesbians who got divorced is on the hook for child support! Case law and family law for the state mandates that when some one with a child is on child support the STATE can collect child support. There is no case law that allows collection from a non biological parent unless both have adopted. Now can a non biological parent be forced to adopt because of marriage? Again American case law says no. So let's change 200 years of American case law and child support. You don't think this will effect you? I could go on but I really am not going to change any ones mind!

carcraft
carcraft 03/09/13 - 09:28 am
What happens when a

What happens when a nonbiological parent in a gay marriage is chosen by the child (in Georgia the age is 14, I believe, for child choice) is that allowable? Ummm

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 03/09/13 - 09:32 am
Equality

It's equality. Civil unions do NOT give all the same rights of marriage. There is no logical reason to not allow same sex couples to marry. As for procreation- there are plenty of alternatives out there if a couple wish to raise a child. The heterosexual population has an abundance of offspring they're spitting out and casting aside. They should be happy that there are people out there that would love to raise and care for their offspring.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 03/09/13 - 09:38 am
ICL, there reaches a point

ICL, there reaches a point when I can't even read this stuff anymore.

carcraft is correct about the letter. Shouldn't there at least be an age requirement for submitting these letters?

Refuse to participate in this evilness and immaturity and maybe he will get bored and go away.

God help them all.

soldout
soldout 03/09/13 - 09:36 am
soy

If gay sexual desire is something in people's genes it would have gone away a long time ago. It is a choice but a choice that may be influenced by eating soy products. Some who thought they were gay no longer have those feelings once they were treated for the bad effects of soy. The saying going around is "if you want your boy to be all boy leave off the soy". Research is going on now to see if soy effects the behavior of little girls also. God's Word wouldn't have called something a sin and then given you no ability to resist it. The Bible says it is a sin done to one's own body and we see all the sickness and disease caused by it.
In history those who take a position against the Bible have always lost whether it was in science, history, health or human relationships. Who wants to stay on the losing side.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 03/09/13 - 09:38 am
WBC

Are we to believe that everything Jesus failed to speak against is therefore acceptable? Bestiality is forbidden in Exodus 22:19 Leviticus 18:23 Leviticus 20:16 Deuteronomy 27:21 but using your hermeneutic of excluding everything Jesus did not explicitly condemn , then Bestiality must be ok also. I suppose you don't put much value in the inspired writings of the apostles either?

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/09/13 - 09:50 am
WalterBradfordCannon....you

WalterBradfordCannon....you stated "Pedophilia may or may not be a natural tendency in some people, but it is not reciprocated, and there is a clear violation of inherent trust, and a clear victim" so it can't be compared to gays wanting to get marriage. I beg to differ.

"Pedophilia is the act or fantasy on the part of an adult of engaging in sexual activity with a child or children"

So, in the future, since our society is becoming so depraved with sexual immorality, it is conceivable that pedophillia could become normal. Our society at one time view homosexual behavior as abhorant and sinful, what is to say that in the future, society looks at someone who is say 20 years old being sexually attacted to someone 12 (which is grounds for pedophilia). Both parties are sexual attracted to each other and since we are skipping down this immoral road of preverse attractions, it is highly possible that what has been suggested about pedophilia's wanting to get married is very highly possible.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/09/13 - 09:52 am
Rights?

What I'm advocating, Mr. Cannon, is ending the tax code’s discrimination against single people. There needs to be one and only one tax column, whether you are married or single. There needs to be one and only one insurance rate, whether you are married or single.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 03/09/13 - 09:54 am
God's view on marriage is

God's view on marriage is about Holiness.

Holiness... Not tax deductions.
Holiness...Not your version of happiness.

What is so sad is that so many of you have absolutely NO IDEA of what I am talking about!

God help you!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 03/09/13 - 09:55 am
gay marriage

is going to give new meaning to "mouth to mouth resusitation".

Christmas Eve storm possible

ATLANTA - Forecasters say strong storms, some with the potential for isolated tornadoes, are possible over large parts of Georgia on Christmas Eve.