All lanes belong to drivers

I am responding to the ranter who recently asked,
“... do (Georgians) actually think they are entitled to be able to drive in the left lane?”

My answer is yes – Georgians do have the right to drive in the left lane (O.C.G.A. 40-6-184, (a)(2)).

Georgians also have the right to pass in the right lane (O.C.G.A. 40-6-43).

Of course, everybody is expected to observe the posted speed limits (O.C.G.A. 40-6-181). The signs seem to be placed at one-mile intervals along a roadway.

I don’t think that the primary purpose of roadways having multiple lanes for moving traffic in the same direction was for “fast” traffic in the left lane and “slow” traffic in the right lane. In fact, I haven’t found a definition for “slow,” so assume that it means any speed below the maximum lawful speed limit and “fast” means any speed above it.

Maybe the sole reason for a roadway with two lanes is to accommodate the volume of traffic using it.

Glenda R. McCracken

Augusta

A Measured Response
A Measured Response 03/01/13 - 03:21 am
Well said!

Lanes are there to be used. I refuse to move to the right because someone wants to break the law. I'm not there to make you follow the law, but you will have to break it at your own peril.
What is laughable about this bill is that the author of it says he submitted it in the interest of "safety". --Help others to go faster than the posted speed, and this is safer?! As a state trooper, didn't he swear to uphold the law? If this bill passes, I will go the limit, and stay where I'm at...

Chuck Odom
Chuck Odom 03/01/13 - 06:54 am
Perhaps when the writer was

Perhaps when the writer was researching Georgia Traffic Laws she also should have looked at O.C.G.A 40-6-40.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/01/13 - 07:18 am
With your attitudes, I hope

With your attitudes, I hope you never need to get to a Dr., Hospital ER, or family member in trouble quickly. If so I hope someone with an attitude similar to yours is in front of you! Apparently, all of you missed the law about impeding traffic!

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/01/13 - 07:19 am
I have no issue with people

I have no issue with people driving in the left lane or slowing drivers moving over to the right lane and let speeders past by....what I have a severe issue with and this happened just yesterday is a vehicle is driving in the right lane and I am in the inside lane (left lane) coming up on an intersection where I will make a left turn. Some jerk is riding the tail end of the vehicle in the right lane (which we are both doing the max. posted speed limit). As I approach the intersection, my vehicle slows down getting ready to move into the left turn lane, which the right hand driver begins to move ahead. The jerk in the back about rips my front end off squeezing in from behind the right hand driver into the front of me.

myfather15
myfather15 03/01/13 - 07:21 am
And.......

Thank you for not being considerate of others. I don't approve of passing legislation on this, but people should be considerate of others, even if you are obeying the law. Ask yourself this question; if you're doing 55mph in a 55 zone, you're in the left lane but not passing anyone, why NOT just move over and remain at 55mph in the right lane? It's just simple courtesy. Yes, I know what you would say; they aren't being courteous by speeding, but are they technically speeding?

Did you know that Georgia law also doesn't allow County, City, or University police to write a speeding ticket based upon a radar device, unless that speed exceeds the posted speed limit by MORE than 10 miles per hour? So, they CAN NOT even write a ticket unless you're doing 11mph over the posted speed limit. So, if someone is doing 65 in a 55 zone, are they technically speeding, since they legally can't be cited for it? State Troopers are exempt from this law, but the vast majority of them don't even pull someone over until they are 15mph over the speed limit. Yes, I realize there are SOME out there that will write tickets for 12 or 13 over, but those are RARE exceptions.

I've been a deputy now for 16 years and I KNOW that the vast majority of law enforcement officers don't give the time of day to speeders unless they are doing 15 over; unless the violator is in a school zone. Yes, I realize excessive speed is very dangerous and causes many crashes. But is 65 mile per hour, in a 55 zone; honestly excessive? When the STATE says you can't be cited for it?

Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't feel it should be legislated, but PEOPLE should willfully be courteous to other drivers and mindful of their surroundings. Not being mindful of their surroundings or not paying attention has cause many more crashes than someone going 10mph over the speed limit, I assure you.

So the attitudes of "I'm not moving over because I don't have to" or "I'm not moving over so someone else can break the law"; is that really helpful? Sounds pretty selfish to me. Truth is, you would probably be safer to let the idiot speeder go on, rather than make him do aggressive maneuvers to get around you. Because they bottom line is; people are going to be people and WE (Law Enforcement) can't be EVERYWHERE at the same time. If this person behind you is going to drive aggressive, they're going to do it, regardless. Thats why Georgia passed the aggressive driving law a few years back. But, just as we can't prevent all murders, we can't prevent all aggressive driving. Being stubborn isn't going to change a thing and it just might place you in a situation you don't want to be in. So, why not let this driver get past you, as quickly as possible and get on down the road? Then, you're no longer in "danger" and this idiot driver isn't about to blow a gasket because someone is driving slow in the left lane "Holding him back". Do you really think you're "Helping" by staying where you are and preventing him from passing?

Now, I reallize many will take this comment as "A deputy advocating speeding and aggressive driving". If that is how you take this, you're very wrong. All I'm saying is that being stubborn, driving exactly the speed limit in the left lane, isn't doing ANYONE any favors and certainly isn't helping. You have no idea WHY the person is driving faster; could be that their mother or teenager was just in a serious car accident and they are going to the hospital; which would mean they are paying LESS attention around them, while speeding. So YOU should just get out of the way and not concern yourself WHY they are speeding; which would actually make YOU more safe.

Once again, I'm NOT saying this would be a legitimate reason for aggressive driving or speeding thereby endangering others; so if your concerned about their driving, move out of the way and call law enforcement as soon as you can. If we catch them driving recklessly or speeding, it's OUR JOB to investigate and charge them accordingly, which we will do.

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 03/01/13 - 08:49 am
A most excellent responce, myfather15!

I travel 60 miles a day to work and back from the suburbs to downtown Atlanta. Talking about some of the worst and most inconsiderate drivers in the state! What I'd like to know is why the seatbelt law (which doesn't cause accidents) seems to be more important to law enforcement than speeding, improper lane changing, tailgating, cutting people off, bright lights, etc. (which do cause accidents).

I also travel rural roads, and understand the issue with slow drivers in the left lane. Myfather15, you're absolutely right! Just be more of a considerate driver! The way Georgian's used to be back in the 80's.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/01/13 - 09:41 am
Okay Glenda.....you are

Okay Glenda.....you are probably technically correct. So if you want to encourage accidents caused by the weaving and bobbing, sliding and gliding necessary to get around left lane loafers just keep standing on your right to impede traffic going faster than you.

Some drivers may be wrong for exceeding the posted speed but left lane loafers are MUCH more dangerous because they force others to make frequent and unnecessary lane changes. I support a "keep right except when passing" law.

macktaylor
macktaylor 03/01/13 - 09:41 am
Glenda you forgot about 40-6-184

40-6-184. Impeding traffic flow; minimum speed in left-hand lanes

(a)(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation.

(2) On roads, streets, or highways with two or more lanes allowing for movement in the same direction, no person shall continue to operate a motor vehicle in the most left-hand lane at less than the maximum lawful speed limit once such person knows or should reasonably know that he is being overtaken in such lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed, except when such motor vehicle is preparing for a left turn.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/01/13 - 10:47 am
Just common sense

Why do we need laws for just using some common sense....move over when necessary....if we have a mandate to only use the right lane we will replace roads every year or so....some use the left at times because it isn't worn down to rubble.....please folks....we all know when someone is riding our behind....let them get around you.

justthefacts
justthefacts 03/01/13 - 10:51 am
Gary

Hey, if you are on 400, give me a wave sometime.

john
john 03/01/13 - 11:13 am
I dont think....

well there you go.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/01/13 - 11:46 am
Rude

Drivers who refuse to move over to the right when there are people desiring to pass are just plain rude. But, as you can see from the posts here, there are plenty of them.
- - - - - - -

P.S. I love Dichotomy’s characterization “left lane loafers.” Thumbs up. :-)

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/01/13 - 11:58 am
Considerate or self-righteous

Many times people are driving under the posted max in the left lane.

But it doesn't matter if you're doing the max in the left lane or not, it's a matter of common courtesy to move over and let someone pass.

You can be smug and self-righteous, or you can be considerate of your fellow drivers.

-edit-

I see I'm repeating the opinions of others before me, guess I should have read all before commenting. So I'll pose a question.

How many of the inconsiderate drivers including the letter writer and those commenting here do you suppose are on the cell phone while they're impeding traffic? I see them most every day.

allhans
allhans 03/01/13 - 01:51 pm
Can we say that this mainly

Can we say that this mainly concerns highway drving and not in town driving. If you had all drivers who drive the speed limit in the right-hand lane only at 5:00 in the afternoon the line would stretch for miles.

Darby
Darby 03/01/13 - 12:47 pm
"I haven't found a definition for “slow,” so assume....

that it means any speed below the maximum lawful speed limit and “fast” means any speed above it."
So what do we call it when you drive at exactly the speed limit?

Alright, I admit it. I'm just nit-picking....

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/01/13 - 01:53 pm
Just a question. Is speeding

Just a question. Is speeding the only law that people are expected to be courteous and ensure that you aren't preventing others from violating?

mooseye
mooseye 03/01/13 - 03:47 pm
I can handle left lane loafers

but why not just take the yield signs down at on ramps? No one pays any attention to them or either they were never taught what they mean or how to properly merge.
I can't count the times someone just came on out of an on ramp, some without even looking to see if it were clear to merge.
I had a young lady come out on me on my motorcycle and I could have kicked her rear fender she was so close. Of course when I followed her to her destination, she was clueless and gave the standard,"Oh, I didn't see you." Well, as I said, I was close enough to kick her car and I could plainly see that she never looked.
Get a handbook people! YIELD means just that. If there is oncoming traffic in the right lane, YOU should YIELD, which means slow down or even stop until clear.
I was taught many years ago how to merge with traffic at a yield type intersection. You either speed up to match the speed if you are ahead of the oncoming traffic or SLOW down till clear.
Its in the book.
If I am in the right hand lane then I own it and am under no obligation to move over so you have a clear shot to merge. I may be wanting to make a right turn or the left lane may be passing or blocking my access to that lane. I usually will be courteous and move over, but you better make sure that I do. Don't just assume that I will make room for you.

bubbasauce
22005
bubbasauce 03/01/13 - 03:47 pm
Glenda, I believe people like

Glenda, I believe people like you are the reason this country is in the shape that it's in. Very backward thinking I think, and no common sense or courtesy what so ever for anyone else but yourself!!!!!!! #X?%&$#&$#%!! There, I'm done.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/01/13 - 03:48 pm
"Is speeding the only law

"Is speeding the only law that people are expected to be courteous and ensure that you aren't preventing others from violating?"

H.A., I thought you had more of a libertarian streak in you than that!

I've also got a question? Is that the reason some feel justified in impeding trafic flow - they've decided to take it upon themselves to prevent other from speeding?

harley_52
harley_52 03/01/13 - 06:27 pm
"I don’t think....

....that the primary purpose of roadways having multiple lanes for moving traffic in the same direction was for “fast” traffic in the left lane and “slow” traffic in the right lane."

Multiple lane roads are constructed to allow for the efficient flow of traffic. Efficiencies are achieved when slowER traffic keeps to the right lane of those in the direction of travel and fastER traffic is allowed to pass slowER traffic on the left.

It's not rocket science.

Get off your high horse, Glenda, or at least move it to the right. It appears you have way too much time on your hands.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 03/01/13 - 07:51 pm
I think

people should drive no faster than a horse can run with a passenger. Require people having to be at work at 8 a.m. to start their journey at the previous mid-night. If they don't get home until mid-night, tough luck. obama is trying to help them with his gas prices. Get real, people.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/02/13 - 12:28 am
Yeah, Glenda...

Do you believe the "Slower traffic keep right" signs along the interstates don't really apply to you?

And how did you manage to completely miss the basic info that was handed out in driver's ed? Why do you think the left lane has always been called "the passing lane"?

So why don't you 1) wise up, and 2) pay attention to the genuine wisdom MyFather15 has put up for your edification? Everybody will benefit if you do.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/02/13 - 08:43 am
Young Fred....libertarian I

Young Fred....libertarian I am...but I also respect the rule of law. Why would we wright a law for she soul purpose of making it easier to break another law?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/02/13 - 09:26 am
"Slower traffic keep right"

"Slower traffic keep right" signs apply to everyone. So does "speed limit."

That's my point....why respect one law but not the other?

OJP
OJP 03/02/13 - 06:13 pm
Bruno
Bruno 03/02/13 - 11:03 pm
Speed limit 65. That is the

Speed limit 65. That is the limit of the speed you should be traveling. There are minimum speed limit signs posted and that is the minimum that you should be traveling. If you are traveling at the speed limit you have no reason to move over for someone who is exceeding that. Granted, if you are doing 45 on I75 and are in the left lane you are an arse.