Are police targeting blacks?

Last year, we the people voted Richard Roundtree for Richmond County sheriff – a man who we thought might help make a positive change in Augusta, and so far maybe he has. But the thing that has been bothering me is, why is he only focused on the areas that are mostly black-populated?

I have no problem with the road blocks, because something does need to be done about the speeding and carelessness that drivers have when it comes to drinking, driving and doing drugs and then they get behind a steering wheel.

My thing is, why have just the black areas – south Augusta, downtown, and the east Augusta neighborhoods – been targeted with road blocks? When will there be road blocks put up in the upper part of Augusta, Summerville and those areas? Are they not included as parts of Augusta?

The new sheriff asked for more money. He has that. Now what is he going to do about policing these other areas?

Vanessa Hubert

Augusta

Young Fred
Young Fred 02/22/13 - 03:52 am
If you are talking DUI's

If you are talking DUI's only, I maybe could see your point.

Otherwise one would concentrate their assets towards the areas that have the most problems. Simple mathematics.

To do otherwise would suggest a total disregard of, well, law abiding citizens.

Young Fred
Young Fred 02/22/13 - 03:56 am
'

You're not suggesting a diregard of law abiding citizens - are you?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/22/13 - 05:39 am
Danged if you do and danged

Danged if you do and danged if you don't. Give an area an extra police presence and you get criticized.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/22/13 - 06:03 am
Vanessa, I can only hope that

Vanessa, I can only hope that you realized what you wrote after hitting the "send" button, and how it comes across. How can you not have thought that the police will put up roadblocks in the areas where the crime IS? To put up roadblocks where the most crime ISN'T, would just be futile and a waste of manpower, time, and money. Crime happens everywhere, but if you want more bang for your buck, you go to the places where it occurs. If you suspect one of your children is bringing in some sort of contraband into your house, are you going to search YOUR room for it? No...you're going to search where you think there is a higher probability of finding it...in your child's room.

Young Fred
Young Fred 02/22/13 - 06:42 am
Just My Opinion

Spot on!

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/22/13 - 06:54 am
Crime

I can't wait until Masters week. I will be counting the number of road blocks to catch DUI drivers around Washington Rd and other famous handouts.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/22/13 - 07:06 am
Crime

JMO...
Your post reminded me of a show I saw some years ago to help parents spot signs that kids might be messing around with drugs. The kids told The host that they hid their drugs in the parents' room because that WOULD be the last place parents would look!

In other words, all areas have to be policed. I am not ready to assume that won't be done. The sheriff has been in office less than 2 months and some are not reasonable in thinking he can do everything in that period of time. The solution, keep your nose clean and the cops will take care of the bad guys....with our help. See something, say something.

Hey, Sheriff, can you send some cars to Tobacco Rd duringAM/PM rush hours? The Ft Gordon traffic will run you off the road? Just saying.....

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/22/13 - 07:09 am
5:54 post

Meant to type "hangouts" but my iPad had other ideas.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 02/22/13 - 07:46 am
truth, we know what you

truth, we know what you meant...but there is an "edit" function.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/22/13 - 07:49 am
Why have certain areas been targeted

Now let me see.....could it be that is where the crime is.....could it be that the good Sheriff has been around long enough to KNOW where the dangers are....could it be he is using good common sense & locating the traps in the RIGHT spots...GEEZ...

Well now....would it make sense to put more police to check every car entering the National.....after all we have had how many murders---muggings--thugs & etc...yeh...put them on Washington Rd & let's catch all those outsiders coming into Augusta...after all they are loaded with $$ to spend in the CSRA....surely we could get a Judge or two.....or some important politician ......or rich golfer...GGGEEEZZ

Where are you Forrest......I have a box of cherries .....

americafirst
americafirst 02/22/13 - 08:14 am
There were some roadblocks

There were some roadblocks in West Augusta. For example there was one on Skinner Mill Road at its intersection with Dorchester.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/22/13 - 08:59 am
Careful..

Seenitb4:
I have been tagged for comments less benign than yours....
Sean is watching but I'll let it slide this time.
It's a rainy day in Georgia. Let's all be police....and stay safe on these wet roads.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 02/22/13 - 09:04 am
Well last night....

I saw 4 cars pulled over on Washington road in a 30 minute span. Also I am reminded by the words of bank robber Willie Sutton when asked why he robbed banks replied" because that's where the money is". Seems some people want it both ways. They don't want crime in their neighborhoods but also lament when the police step up their patrols. I might also add that the population of ARC is now tipped to more blacks than whites so a majority of areas are going to be predominantly black. I will be glad when it's more like 80% black so I don't have to hear the race card played anymore.

countyman
19541
countyman 02/22/13 - 09:27 am
Not really going after hard criminals.

The state is helping Richmond County out in terms of operation Thunder. The operation seems to be more about generating revenue and controlling the roads compared to catching violent criminals. DUI, no insurance, driving with a suspended license, etc. Their not going after gang members or serving warrants.

I live downtown, and haven't seen one roadblocks yet. If you think downtown is 'black'(unless you meant certain parts) then you've already including some of the East Augusta neighborhoods. The real downtown(Central Business District) is white.. Waters Edge and Olde Town are majority white areas too. Laney Walker, Bethlehem, and Turpin Hill maybe considered black, but Harrisburg is definitely mixed.

I haven't seen one roadblock on Jimmie Dyess Parkway either, and the Belair Estates neighborhood is over 90% black.

And comparing the black population of South Augusta versus East Augusta is not even close. The closer you get to the city limits of Hephzibah(south of Willis Foreman)the whiter South Augusta becomes.

If somebody is waiting for Richmond County to become over 80% black then I truly feel sorry for them. The black population is stagnant, and the white population is the fastest growing. It's the opposite of what's happening in Columbia County. This trend happens across the united states, and will become even more apparent with the demolishing of housing projects. There's not enough section 8 in Richmond County to accommodate all of those people.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 02/22/13 - 09:25 am
WOW....

for once I agree with countyman....I guess the devil is eating a popsicle...ok scratch that...I agreed with him until he went back and changed his post. The black population is not stagnant. It is increasing. Maybe if Roundtree does some of the things he's promised that may change but until then the white flight continues...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/22/13 - 09:27 am
truthmatters

Well now....I get my fair share of warnings...heh

When it gets to the point that I can't say anything on here...i might as well say seeya later baby.....I see "some" finding fault with a black Sheriff when he is doing HIS...... J O B!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/22/13 - 09:40 am
False Premise

Vanessa Hubert's premise that only black neighborhoods are being targeted for the Rolling Thunder roadblocks has shown to be untrue by americafirst’s post at 7:14 a.m. Since Hubert's premise is false, therefore her conclusion is false.

JRC2024
JRC2024 02/22/13 - 09:40 am
Yesterday on Massoit Dr.

Yesterday on Massoit Dr. Three unmarked cars(a red charger, black charger and a suv) had a white truck stopped and searching it. What do you think they were searching for in that area. Go Sheriff Roundtree after all the drug people. As far as Section 8-Columbia County needs a bunch of them.

countyman
19541
countyman 02/22/13 - 10:02 am
Facts!

The comment related to the demographics was already included in my original post.

I don't have the time to debate anybody's opinion on here. Please show me something to back up the statements?

According to the 2010 census and 2011 estimate for Richmond County.

black population 54.2% to 54.4%

white population 39.7% to 40.8%

The trends suggest black people are usually the last group to enter the suburban counties. White people tend to move back into the urban core, or create exurbs(Mcduffie/Lincoln county and cities of Hephzibah/Blythe).

Columbia
White 76.5% to 77.1%
Black 14.9% to 15.8%

Young Fred
Young Fred 02/22/13 - 10:04 am
"As far as Section 8-Columbia

"As far as Section 8-Columbia County needs a bunch of them."

Well why stop there? Everyplace needs "a bunch of them". Heck why is there such a thing as non section 8 housing? All housing should be section 8, that's the only "fair" solution, is it not?

allhans
allhans 02/22/13 - 10:17 am
I am trying to picture fast

I am trying to picture fast traffic on Washington Road during Masters Week. :) Maybe ticket them for driving too slow.
It is not at all unusual to see cars pulled over on Berckmanns on an ordinary day - Better slow down before you top that hill near Heath Drive.

Young Fred
Young Fred 02/22/13 - 10:28 am
Allhans you must truly be an

Allhans you must truly be an artist! “I am trying to picture fast traffic on Washington Road during Masters Week.”

Such a thing of beauty in its simplicity!

Ya see, I always pictured myself in a slow but steady bulldozer or some such.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/22/13 - 10:28 am
Stake Outs

Riverman posted:

It reminds me of people who call police complaining about speeders in their subdivisions. The police dutifully come out there and set up operations to catch them. When they do (speeding and running stop signs), neighbors complain because 99% of the people ticketed live in the subdivision.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 02/22/13 - 10:34 am
Look at school demographics and maybe...

you might wanna venture to the south augusta area. More white flight is occuring in that area and I know of at least 10 white families that have their homes up for sale and plan on locating to NA, Evans and the lake area. Ride through Goshen and see the for sale signs. I know of at least 2 families that moved to Columbia County from Goshen. You are stating estimates not facts. You did change your post you can deny it all you want. I only say that because you accuse others of changing theirs like you never change yours. Almost everyone edits or goes back to clarify or add things they forgot.

countyman
19541
countyman 02/22/13 - 10:58 am
You are stating nothing but

You are stating nothing but an opinion. How does two families moving out of Goshen equate to white flight in South Augusta? I can ride through any neighborhood and see the for sale signs. I can buy a home for under $200k in the Greenbrier area of Evans( Riverwood Plantation).

A private developer is building another phase of the Fairways at Goshen.

The ten people you know didn't stop Five Guys from choosing South Augusta. The company opened the first store in West Augusta, the second location was Aiken, and finally Evans. Grovetown and Martinez don't have one, and neither does the city of North Augusta.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 02/22/13 - 11:10 am
As your "estimates" are opinion

Dude, I am from this area. I have lived here 50 years. I know what white flight looks like. I applaud your enthusiasm but the truth is the truth. A five guys doesn't mean anything about demographics. It just means they think they can sell hamburgers. Last time I looked black people eat just like white people do.

Young Fred
Young Fred 02/22/13 - 11:12 am
I'm I missing something?

I'm I missing something? When did Five Guys become a barometer? Not that I have a problem with that, I'm quite fond of them. But I happen to know of a fellow that was looking to open a package store in that area. Is that a barometer also?

slsoske
slsoske 02/22/13 - 11:20 am
Not just the blacks, but all those in S Augusta!

I live in Goshen - and the police presence here is minimal. We are a decent neighborhood, but crime has increased in the past 10 yearas. Are the whites flying out of here in great numbers? Oh, yes they are. Being poor in not a crime, however, you will find that poorer neighborhoods are targeted by the cops. And how many HIGH profile DUI's have we had in the past couple of years? Too many, so yes, The Hill should have their own road blocks to catch attorneys, politicians, and those who drink too much on their way home from their fancy dinners and country clubs!

Jane18
Jane18 02/22/13 - 11:24 am
"Are Police Targeting Blacks?"

Vanessa, is that an intentional racist statement? I think.... yes! How about, maybe the sheriff is targeting where the criminal element thrive? I'm happy the presence of the law is being made known and seen!

pimpernell
pimpernell 02/22/13 - 11:38 am
Duh! Vanessa

It seems that some lessons are never learned. Why do criminals rob banks? BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE THE MONEY IS!!!!!!!!!!!
Computers should come with a warning label like "Put brain in gear before engaging the Send button"! Redneck racists didn't invent the fact that crime in the USA is heavily Black on Black. Even Obama admits this. I commend Sheriff Roundtree for having the good sense to do his job correctly.

Ruben given last shot on downtown buildings

Richmond County Magistrate Judge H. Scott Allen approved an agreement the two sides reached this week to obtain a boarding permit in the next 30 days to "mothball" two buildings.