Blame society, not guns

Walter Williams’ column “Are guns the problem?” (Jan. 17) is so very true and appropriate for this age and time.

I was given a .22 rifle for Christmas in 1941 just before my 11th birthday. My father impressed upon me the safe use of the rifle, and told me never to shoot anything live unless it was for food or if I was in physical danger. Consequently, I never even shot a bird.

I still have the rifle but cannot use it because the breech is expanded so that the shells rupture in the chamber. I have not found anyone who can repair it or it would be in use.

Regarding Mr. Williams’ moral absolutes, he hits the nail on the head. If I misbehaved in school and was punished, I was again punished when I got home.

I would think hard against doing it again. As Proverbs 13:14 says, if you spare the rod, you hate your children, but if you discipline them, you love them. It seems nowadays we are prevented, by laws, from loving our children.

Maybe this is one reason there is so much crime. We cannot love our children with punishment because we might lower their self-esteem.

As society becomes more litigious and more tolerant of misbehavior, the world will become more like a jungle.

Charles M. Stone

Evans

carcraft
carcraft 02/18/13 - 06:37 am
Very Good letter.

Very Good letter. Students onshooting teams in New York used to carry thier .22's on buses and sub ways to meets. Kids used to bring thier hunting rifles to school to hunt or shoot after school. Kids are not taugh responsibility or given responsibility so they think they can nock up any girl they want etc. This is not the America I grew up in and it is sad...

jkline
jkline 02/18/13 - 07:06 am
Well said, Mr Stone

You are right. It is not the country we grew up in. We let the wrong people take it away from us. We ought to take it back from them.

jkline
jkline 02/18/13 - 07:06 am
Well said, Mr Stone

Techfan
Techfan 02/18/13 - 08:00 am
One of my favorite authors

One of my favorite authors Patrick McManus always said it best. When given a knife or hatchet for Christmas, he was always told not to cut/chop anything. It never worked. The Bible also said to have the men of the village stone your kids if they're stubborn or rebellious. That would weed out the rapscallions right quick.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 02/18/13 - 08:13 am
Violence can result from self-love, self-esteem

Maybe this is one reason there is so much crime. We cannot love our children with punishment because we might lower their self-esteem (Charles M. Stone).

Good letter!

Mr. Stone is right to link psychologists' promotion of self-esteem to today's rise in violent crimes. The apostle Paul warned, "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy ..." (2 Timothy 3:1-2).

Self-love, self-esteem, leads to covetousness, boasting, pride, blasphemy, and a rejection of parental authority and wisdom. It can be dangerous to be around people who love themselves and think highly of themselves, especially when they think lowly of others. It's not surprising if they feel entitled to take other peoples' possessions or if they feel justified in using violence against anyone who would criticize or discipline them.

single parent
single parent 02/18/13 - 08:29 am
@jkline What people? We are

@jkline What people? We are the people! Plus the country I grew up in did not have 5 year olds doing pre geometry neither, I mean I happen to be one of them, but on a national level no. There are still states that say "A person under the age of 21 cannot be imprisoned passed the age of 21 for any crime and cannot be tried as an adult" Hmmmmm Also people that do bad know these type laws, which means the child knows as well. So who do you think gets into things and knows they can basically just get a wrist slap? The bad part is when they do get into unforgivable things the parents cry foul or the public crys foul! 30 to life for robbing a bank:7 years for killing 4 in a drive by? So again what people? We are the people!
I was at Chucky Cheez with grand child the other day and I kid you not the sign on the door states "NO FIREARMS" Again we the people!

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 02/18/13 - 08:29 am
Way off the mark

One of my favorite authors Patrick McManus always said it best. When given a knife or hatchet for Christmas, he was always told not to cut/chop anything. It never worked (Techfan).

What an example of overgeneralizing! Are we to believe that no one should be entrusted with a gun simply because one person, Patrick McManus, couldn't be trusted with a knife or hatchet?

The Bible also said to have the men of the village stone your kids if they're stubborn or rebellious. That would weed out the rapscallions right quick (Techfan).

Techfan should read 1 Samuel 2:12--4:22 to see how much the nation of Israel suffered because of the high priest Eli's failure to have his sons, Hophni and Phinehas, executed.

Techfan
Techfan 02/18/13 - 08:37 am
I can't take my AR into Chuck

I can't take my AR into Chuck E. Cheese's? Well, I'll just have to do without screaming kids and cardboard pizza then.

Techfan
Techfan 02/18/13 - 08:40 am
I don't care what Eli did.

I don't care what Eli did. Bad history, bad science, bad fiction. Let's deal with reality and not some made up stories about people long ago. Why not throw in what Thor and Zeus did if you decide to go that way?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/18/13 - 08:46 am
Mr Stone said...

The jungle is with us now......what we do about it remains to be seen..

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/18/13 - 08:48 am
Frog in warming water

That is what has happened to us....the water has been turned up slowly sooo the frog accepted the heat....until he dies from it...

Techfan
Techfan 02/18/13 - 08:50 am
My wife corrected my

My wife corrected my terminology. Not fiction, embellishment of oral history.

Bizkit
Bizkit 02/18/13 - 08:52 am
Or perhaps Narcissus and

Or perhaps Narcissus and Nemesis. The science says to address the family unit, parenting, socialization of our youth, etc. to address violence. Regulate alcohol and guns and knives is recommended too but I don't think we can try alcohol again, and there are too many guns and knives. We would be "smarter" to address cultural and societal factors to reduce violence. Face it if someone wants someone dead-they will find a way. Did Mindy McCreedy commit suicide with drugs or a gun? Most guns are used for suicides. I guess if someone want to die they will figure a way too. Sad isn't it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/18/13 - 09:02 am
Patrick McManus

That is one cruel parent who would give a child a knife and then tell the child not to use it.

Techfan
Techfan 02/18/13 - 09:23 am
He's one funny guy. Check out

He's one funny guy. Check out some of his books.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 02/18/13 - 09:42 am
deja vu?

Guns and Bibles again. Where have I heard that before?

chascushman
chascushman 02/18/13 - 09:50 am
“One of my favorite authors

“One of my favorite authors Patrick McManus always said it best. When given a knife or hatchet for Christmas, he was always told not to cut/chop anything.”
Techfan, while McManus might be a good author it is obvious he knows little of raising a child. Knives and hatchets are made for cutting so the adult should show the child the proper way to use them just as they would do with a gun. I’m not surprised that you would not understand.

Bizkit
Bizkit 02/18/13 - 09:54 am
There is a lot of violence in

There is a lot of violence in the Old Testament especially. Note there were no GUNS. Lots more violence to follow-still no guns for thousands of years as we go through a bronze age, etc. Finally guns. Dang it took evolution a long time to develop guns the OBVIOUS culprit and cause of violence in mankind. Finally the answer we've been looking for-GUNS. yes GUNS and Roses has it right. The great Obama will defeat violence by attacking guns.

deestafford
deestafford 02/18/13 - 10:28 am
McManus was a humorist

and as such was using satire. It was not meant to be taken literally. It's like the parent who says, "I've told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 02/18/13 - 11:07 am
No guns and no Bibles, where

No guns and no Bibles, where have we heard that?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 02/18/13 - 11:29 am
Guns and Bibles

Those that read their Bibles are not the ones that use the guns !
We need more people that read their Bibles.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/18/13 - 11:49 am
How unfortunate the writer

How unfortunate the writer quoted a bible verse. That gives the people like Techfan and EEL an automatic excuse to belittle the point you were trying to make.

Okay, here is my take on it. Regardless of what the bible or the law says, if you do not discipline your child when they are misbehaving, they will punish you the rest of your natural life. It's common sense. I do not need a bible or a legislator or a cop to know that an undisciplined child never learns the acceptable limits of our society. I do not endorse stoning....but frequent flat hand pops to the butt between the ages of 3 to 10 work wonders. Combine that with lots of parental guidance and progressively evolving punishments engineered to match the offense.....like additional chores that actually involve WORK......will produce a more responsible and productive young adult.

Jane18
Jane18 02/18/13 - 11:53 am
Some Just Do Not Know!

As always, there are some that can not interpret or understand Hebrew words and phrases......and Thor and Zeus, pagan gods? mythology? ...huh?, huh?..huh??????

harley_52
harley_52 02/18/13 - 12:28 pm
"I do not endorse stoning....but frequent flat hand pops....

....I do not endorse stoning....but frequent flat hand pops to the butt between the ages of 3 to 10 work wonders. Combine that with lots of parental guidance and progressively evolving punishments engineered to match the offense.....like additional chores that actually involve WORK......will produce a more responsible and productive young adult."

Amen, brother.

After the initial few "hand pops" often just a stern look and a measured word of "encouragement" are all it takes to get the point across. Children need to be taught to obey the rules and that there's a penalty to be paid for breaking them. A parent's job is to be a parent, not a friend, until the kids are grown.

faithson
faithson 02/18/13 - 12:28 pm
1941

I respect Mr. Stone's point of view, but things were so much different when he got his .22. The anti-personal weapon of choice was the M-1 carbine. Our country had a population less than one-half of what it is today. Of course the need to defend oneself has not changed, but I remember well growing up in the 50's with the general attitude towards guns as instruments of hunting game, not defending the homestead. I bear no antagonism towards those who wish to 'arm themselves to the T', I just think we must work out a better system of accountability for those who wish such 'security'. The complete abrogation of any discussions by the NRA and those of similar ilk is irresponsible and self serving. There are things that can be done, we need both sides in on a 'best practices' effort.

harley_52
harley_52 02/18/13 - 12:31 pm
Patrick F. McManus....

...is a superb writer. Anybody who takes him seriously is totally missing the point.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 02/18/13 - 12:31 pm
RMSHEFF

"Those that read their Bibles are not the ones that use the guns !"
Really? Would you care to explain how you know this to be true?

I recall the history lessons I was taught in grade school about those God-fearing English who landed at Plymouth Rock in 1620 to found a new Christian nation. After kneeling on the ground and praying over their Bibles, they loaded their guns and started shooting Indians!

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 02/18/13 - 12:34 pm
No guns and no Bibles

Guns and Bibles are fine--just keep them out of my face....

harley_52
harley_52 02/18/13 - 12:38 pm
"Guns and Bibles are fine--just keep them out of my face...."

You mean like sexual preferences, right?