Amend Second Amendment

The Second Amendment needs an amendment.

The Constitution is an ever-evolving document. Amendments are made according to changing times and progress. The right to bear arms to defend yourself against enemies is now obsolete. It belonged to a different era and a different social setup. We have no enemies here. They are thousands of miles away and do not have the capability to reach our shores.

And if by “enemies” you mean thieves and robbers, you don’t need military-grade automatic weapons to kill an intruder in your back yard, unless you are a poor shot with your shotgun. Likewise, you don’t need an AK-47 to shoot down ducks.

However, the sad fact of the matter is not about the right to defend yourself against enemies, but against loss of business in automatic weapons.

Zia Rehman

Augusta

Comments (41)

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 02/15/13 - 03:21 am

The US market for "automatic" weapons is very small.

Forgive me if my snark meter isn't working properly today, because I'm wondering now if you really believe what you've submitted here.

One shot, one kill is the hunter's ideal for taking down game as humanely as possible. Human assailants are a different matter altogether, even without figuring best possible response times from your local law enforcement, which will always be limited by the laws of the physical universe. As the saying goes, "when seconds count, help is minutes away."

jkline
jkline 02/15/13 - 04:24 am

Where is she from?

"We have no enemies here." Maybe. And maybe I am a Chinese jet pilot. Technology changes, but people do not. We have the same sort of human beings, with the same faults, that we had in 1776. The human race has not advanced since then in any meaningful moral way. The safeguards our founding fathers recognised as necessary are still valid and needed. And one of the potential enemies behind the Second Amendment was our own government. It was intended that, to prevent tyranny, the government should always be more afraid of the people, than the people of the government. Disarming American civilians, or even controlling their right to arm themselves, works to reverse this relationship, which is what the real idea is behind all these laws. There is a reason for the wording "will not be infringed." Any requirement to ask "mother, may I" of a government official to be armed is an infringement of that right, and unconstitutional, regardless of what any twister of words may claim. We live, like it or not, in the real world, and not in a sort of "Never Nervous Land."

KSL
KSL 02/15/13 - 04:53 am

I guess Zia has not been

I guess Zia has not been reading or listening to the news.

Bear - Lillian Smith
Bear - Lillian Smith 02/15/13 - 06:54 am

I haven't posted here in a long time...

...but this letter from Zia woke me up. It made me realize "why" we keep electing idiots to govern our country. Zia, with all due respect, I don't know what world you live in, but if you honestly think we face no domestic enemies, you're delusional.

You are right about one thing, we are not living in the same era or social set-up, we're living in one much worse than our forefathers ever imagined. Set aside fears that our government is out of control, the daily threats of domestic terrorism alone justifies a "well armed" citizenship.

Never in the history of our country has there been a greater threat to life as we've known it, and freedom from oppression and terrorism, both foreign "and" domestic!

I'm far from a "sky is falling", "end-of-times" fanatic, but I am very much a realist, and as such I am keenly aware the times we now live in dictate being prepared to defend my home and family with something other than a pea-shooter.

jpmedic65
jpmedic65 02/15/13 - 06:39 am

2nd Ammendment

This is the ONLY ammendment that says "Shall not be infringed". There is a reason for that. Our founding fathers were trying to break away from oppresion. Homeland Security ordered 1.4 BILLION rounds of ammo. Social Security Administration has ordered 750,000 rounds of HOLLOW POINTS. SSA? Really? Thomas Jefferson said "Fear a government that fears your guns". Besides,you are 10 times more likely to die of a medical mistake than a firearm. (Almost 100,000 people a year die from medical mistakes).

carcraft
20738
carcraft 02/15/13 - 07:06 am

We are being invaded, some of

We are being invaded, some of the invaders are not hostile, some are, members of drug cartels, gangs, etc. and they do violence to our citizens. Brutal gang rapes, drug turf wars etc. all brought to you by the latest invasion. It is clear Zia doesn't have any, repeat ANY, understanding of firearms. What Zia is probably referring to is semi-automatic rifles (one pull on the trigger one bullet shot) that LOOK LIKE MILITARY grade weapons. There is not a military in the world that fields an army with semi auto weapons. The US Army weapons have a selector switch that allows you to change from semi auto to fully automatic as the situation requires. Fully automatic weapons are highly regulated and require a very expansive BTF license to purchase and keep. The rate of use of ammunition makes firing fully auto weapons very expensive. Now I would like to remind Zia that there was a robbery of a pawn store in Aiken where the owner used several magazines in a SEMI AUTOMATIC rifle to defend his wife, his business and himself. I would remind Zia that during a home invasion in Atlanta the invader was shot 4 or 5 times, left the home and drove away before being found alive. If there had been more than one invader what would have happened. So please Zia, look in your little crystal ball and tell me when and how many people well invade my home so I can be sure to have the proper number of weapons etc. or why not just become some government official so you can tell Americans how to live their lives while ignoring the law...

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 02/15/13 - 07:40 am

There is no reason why you

There is no reason why you cannot protect your family with a regular pistol, shot gun or rifle. MILITARY assault rifles should be left for the military.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/13 - 08:12 am

A better idea

Why don't we amend the way we select a President....only the educated can vote....how bout that sweetpea...

THAT should cure our mental illness in the USA....imho

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 02/15/13 - 08:39 am

Someone has been watching too

Someone has been watching too much CNN for their own good. You hallengingstrike me as one who embraces the plans of the President to socially reengineer our values and socio-economic game plan. Challenging days ahead for us all.

S60
S60 02/15/13 - 08:45 am

"The right to bear arms to

"The right to bear arms to defend yourself against enemies is now obsolete."

You have to be kidding me.

This letter really emphasizes to me how out of touch with reality some people actually are.

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 02/15/13 - 09:21 am

Wow

This article clearly illustrates how "out of touch with reality" some people are. We have no enemies here (?) I wish we did live in that world.

Bizkit
22010
Bizkit 02/15/13 - 09:24 am

So "she" has decided guns are

So "she" has decided guns are obsolete. Well I'd say marriage is obsolete too so why bother with gay marriage. It isn't protected by the constitution either. How about sports-I don't care for any of them and look at all the injuries and deaths and long term health issues. Well we should ban all sports-a bunch of grown men playing with balls. Just ridiculous-there is no constitutional right to sports, they serve no purpose and are obsolete-least we are like ancient Rome. So anything that offends some people in this republic needs to be banned. Ban guns, ban marriage, ban all sports because even Obama wouldn't let his son-if he had one-play football. Yes "we" or "she' or "he" needs to decide what is obsolete. Just like "they" who decide who has enough money or not. What about intellect-wow some people have a lot-that isn't fair-I suggest frontal lobotomies. I don't undestand why people hate freedom. There are over 300 milliion guns in this country-enough for every citizen although only 150 million are gun owners. Right now you have to have an ID, background check, gun safety education, etc. yet we still have violence and some with guns-knives, etc are just as significant. Most guns are used in suicides and basically painting guns the enemy is a strawman argument. It isn't the modus operandi of a gun but violence. The president will offer some "feel good" ideas for gun control yet they serve nothing and will not decrease gun violence. The issue is violence in our society and it is something that all americans need to be involved not just half. The guns are here and here to stay-we need to address violence in our youth especially. There are scientific methods to address violence in our society but rather than addressing the real issues -just a strawman that guns are bad and let's get rid of them. How ludicrous and ridiculous.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/15/13 - 09:25 am

"We have no enemies here.

"We have no enemies here. They are thousands of miles away and do not have the capability to reach our shores." Really? Who took down the twin towers?

"you don’t need military-grade automatic weapons to kill an intruder in your back yard, unless you are a poor shot with your shotgun. Likewise, you don’t need an AK-47 to shoot down ducks."

So should we ban all things that we don't need? I sure hope that all you own are the very things that you NEED to survive, because using your logic, if you don't need them then the government should ban them.

I will give the writer kudos on one thing. As misguided as it is she (he?) is asking for the 2nd amendment to be amended. THAT is the proper way to do what she wants. The President should take heed to that. Being a constitutional "professor" he should know that, but his plan is to ban weapons using regulations and fiat. He has stated on this and many other topics that if Congress won't act, that HE will..................Constitution be damned.

harley_52
19546
harley_52 02/15/13 - 09:32 am

This Letter Is Proof Positive....

....that some people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/15/13 - 09:44 am

To the writer

Why do you people keep harping on so called "assault" weapons when they are rarely used criminally? And why, with all of the information available, do you insist on called them automatic weapons? They are NOT automatic unless you have a special, expensive license to own one.

AR's and AK's are convertible to full automatic; but that is something the BATF watches very, very closely, even setting up fake websites to lure people into attempting to buy the hardware that makes the change.

And since the overwhelming majority of these weapons reside in the hands of the law abiding, there is little worry anyway that one would make the conversion if they had the hardware.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/15/13 - 09:41 am

itsanotherday. The

itsanotherday. The definition of an assault weapon is any weapon that is painted black and looks scary.

Unless there is someone in favor of a ban that would care to define it differently........which they NEVER do.

Bizkit
22010
Bizkit 02/15/13 - 09:43 am

There are a significant

There are a significant number of under educated voters-especially Obama's base of low socioeconomic african-americans and hispanics who by definition are under educated. But they are just under educated-that can be fixed. What scares me is all the nuts-nuts suggestiong violence and civil war and such. I suggest zombie squirrels. Ya know all the living dead crap on the tube now. Yeah they like nuts so they can start crackin' skulls and eating the brains of all the nuts in this country. Yep my gift is problem solving. Just like man-made global warming-the solution is simple -get rid of man. So the zombie squirrel paradigm will work to address both issues. See resource and frugal. We need to get them bigger-ah growth hormone and anabolic steroid-I'll call Bonds and few athletes to see if they can plub me in. A fifty pound zombie squirrel could really do some damage. Hey I bet they'd be tasty too-I lover squirrel. Ah now I can feed the poor too. Gosh I should be prez.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 02/15/13 - 10:08 am

Ignorance is bliss! Thank

Ignorance is bliss! Thank God these people are still in the minority or we would all be Spreken ze Deutsch.

deestafford
deestafford 02/15/13 - 10:42 am

I know the liberals would like to believe the Constitution

"is an evolving document that changes with the times" i.e., a living document. That means principles and rules are flexible. I would like to play poker with the liberals and let the rules "evolve" as I was playing my hand. The best way to interpret the Constitution is "The Original Meaning". The Founding Fathers were the most intelligent group of men ever gathered in one place at one time in history. They were extremely well educated...well beyond what are today's standards of education...and they knew the meaning of words and put words on paper with a certain meaning. As far as the Supreme Court is concerned, the Founding Fathers invisioned it being the weakest of the three branches of government, not what it has become. The bottomline is, words mean things.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/15/13 - 01:37 pm

All Zia has to do is run for office...

and the other uninformed, non-literate "citizens" will surely vote for her.

One wonders how so many of them made it out of 9th grade civics with such bizarre and mush-headed ideas about what our Constitution actually is.

Darby
19255
Darby 02/15/13 - 10:57 am

"The best way to interpret the Constitution....

is "The Original Meaning"."

Anything else is an exercise in extreme hubris.

griff6035
griff6035 02/15/13 - 11:05 am

Zia

Not sorry, but your beliefs do not play well here in the South. You could not have been born and raised a southerner.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/15/13 - 11:06 am

Ay, Yah, Yahy, Yah, Yahy

Not only is Zia wrong on the "no enemies here" statement, he/she has no clue what the Constitution is.

Darby
19255
Darby 02/15/13 - 11:09 am

One more thing....

I think we're missing the point here. The original letter to the editor HAS GOT TO BE A JOKE!

No rational, thinking person could think like that. It's impossible for anyone not born last Tuesday to be that naive.

The writer is obviously one of us "extreme right-wing kooks", poking fun at prog/libs.

Nice job, Zia. You had me going there for a minute.

SFCRET85
SFCRET85 02/15/13 - 11:10 am

Darby

Darby writes:"If I may be so presumptuous, the ONLY way to interpret the Constitution is the ORIGINAL MEANING."

OK, so it's OK that slavery is legal, women can't vote and blacks are 3/5th of a human being. It is after all in the ORIGINAL constitution.

Is this an example of what some posters here refer to as "low information" voters?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/15/13 - 11:10 am

Need

Zia Rehman wrote:

. . . you don’t need military-grade automatic weapons to kill an intruder in your back yard, unless you are a poor shot with your shotgun. Likewise, you don’t need an AK-47 to shoot down ducks.

It's not about need. It's about liberty.

By the way, I'm a poor shot with a shotgun. I guess I qualify for military-grade automatic weapons!

Darby
19255
Darby 02/15/13 - 11:15 am

"As the saying goes, "when seconds count,.....

help is minutes away.""
Oh, so true. And when logic is needed, prog/libs are promising their always illusive Utopia.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/15/13 - 11:18 am

Zia....."They are thousands

Zia....."They are thousands of miles away and do not have the capability to reach our shores."

Please tell those who stood on top of their businesses and defended them in the Los Angeles riots when mobs of looting, murdering, raping, theiving rioters came down the street that the enemy is thousands of miles away. Ditto for the days in the aftermath of Katrina.

No thanks Zia.....I'll hang on to my scary black rifle and 30 round magazines if you don't mind. You can't protect me, the cops certainly can't protect me since they seem to diappear for days after an emergency, so I think I'll hang on to the capability.....the CONSTITUTIONALLY gauaranteed capability.....to protect myself, my family, and my property....by whatever means necessary.

harley_52
19546
harley_52 02/15/13 - 11:22 am

"I think we're missing the point here....

....The original letter to the editor HAS GOT TO BE A JOKE!"

That was my first thought upon reading the letter. After re-reading it and thinking about it....I believe it's real.

I hope it IS a joke.

Meth use on rise in Richmond County

Production of meth, a highly addictive drug made from household cold medicine, batteries, drain cleaner, brake fluid and other harmful chemicals, increased in recent years when the shake-and-bake ...