Don't allow gays in Scouts

As a former Scout member, I would like to somehow vote for Scouting to maintain its current membership policy, and not bow down to pressure from the gay community to allow open or avowed homosexuals, or anyone who engages in behavior that would become a distraction to the mission of the Boy Scouts of America.

The Scout Oath calls for members to do their duty “to God” and to stay “morally straight.” The Scout Law states that a Scout is “reverent.” The majority of Americans adhere to the beliefs of the Holy Bible, in which the God of this Bible speaks against the homosexual lifestyle. Therefore, if the BSA changes its membership policy to include the gay agenda, then it must change its Scout Oath and Scout Law. If not, confusion would rule the BSA world.

If you cannot stand for something, you will fall for anything. This is not about judging others, but it has everything to do with what has worked all these years. And it is about fighting for one’s beliefs.

One solution: Let the gay community form its own Scouting organization. Then they would be acting like the BSA, whose agenda does not include merit badges for trying to force its beliefs/lifestyles onto the gay community.

William Getha

Evans

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 02/11/13 - 11:13 am
"I think I found..."

Instead of making sweeping generalizations about me, why don't you take the time to answer my argument, the one where I make distinctions among various expressions of homosexuality, asserting that some are unacceptable perversions (pedophilia and family relations) and others are simply within the range of normal and acceptable. Yes, I think I am right. WHY DO YOU THINK I'M NOT?

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 02/11/13 - 11:16 am
Man and his adult daughter???

Humble, your position seems to be that because moral distinctions may be complicated and challenging, we should not try to make them. But of course that is what the law and ethics do all the time, more or less successfully.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/11/13 - 11:20 am
Trail the Eagle

EEL posted:

Finally, it heartens me to read how dramatically the views of the American public are shifting on the issue of adult, consensual, same-sex relations and marriage.

The debate over the Boy Scout policies has nothing to do with consensual, same-sex relations. Rather it is about scout leaders enticing and recruiting boys for sex instead of leading them in traditional Boy Scout activities. Most people don’t want that.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/11/13 - 11:20 am
Thank-you EEL....you are

Thank-you EEL....you are proving my point....YOU say it is acceptable, so it must be so. How can I argue with that?

faithson
faithson 02/11/13 - 11:29 am
natural proclivity

I always find the argument that young men are so sexually 'impressionable' to be spurious. I and probably most of the men on these boards are born with an 'eye' towards the opposite sex. No amount of influence was going to change that. I am sure the same goes for women. Instead of inculcating fear, and using that as the basis for believing in the perversion of of other people's proclivities, one would do better to embrace their own life choices and leave others their's. Tolerance comes to mind, a counter to self-righteousness.

CobaltGeorge
194645
CobaltGeorge 02/11/13 - 11:31 am
Oh Yes,

I can see it now.....

"Join The Gay Boy Scout Of America"

Our Scout Law is - Learn the true meaning of Morality!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/11/13 - 11:33 am
Tolerance?

Well, faithson, if we must tolerate homosexual molesting, must we also tolerate heterosexual molesting between adults and children?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/11/13 - 11:37 am
Oath

I guess the Boy Scouts will have to amend their Scout Oath:

On my honor I will do my best . . . to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight, gay, bi-, or tranny.

ymnbde
ymnbde 02/11/13 - 11:42 am
leave children out of it

if the left can't make a persuasive argument to adults, i guess they go after the more impressionable kids. 14 year old boys do not have the emotional band width to handle what is really meant by "gay". When boys see a heterosexual man, they don't think "sex". The same is not true when they see a homosexual man.

faithson
faithson 02/11/13 - 11:42 am
'enticing and recruiting boys for sex'

I understand many people's attitude on this matter. I would only like for those who espouse these puritanical attitudes to RESPECT that others have a different point of view just as valid as there own. Having been a Scout Master for my oldest son's troupe years ago, I can tell you, watching out for those men who were involved that had spurious intentions was always a concern. I find that the open discussion about what WAS under the carpet is healthy and will come to be a good thing in the organization as the discussion is now out in the open. Allowing each troupe to establish its own parameters about its make up seems reasonable. Parents are still in control as are the supporting institutions. I am of a mind that many are making mountains out of mole hills out of pure and simple FEAR.

faithson
faithson 02/11/13 - 11:58 am
LL

'tolerate homosexual molesting', having been involved with the crisis in the catholic church, to the point of being remunerated, I am well aware of what molestation is all about, for myself and for my good friends. Predators fall under a completely different discussion than this one. Casting an invective over a whole population of people one has no understanding of says a lot about the narrowness of one's world view.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/11/13 - 12:11 pm
Predators

Predators are the very reason for the current policy.

harley_52
harley_52 02/11/13 - 12:39 pm
"Rather it is about scout leaders....

....enticing and recruiting boys for sex instead of leading them in traditional Boy Scout activities."

That's just a small part of the concern. Most people believe that would be stopped pretty quickly and severe penalties assigned.

The real problem, IMHO, is that parents don't want their children taught that homosexuality is "normal," or "equal" lifestyle as a socially acceptable alternative to one man, one woman relationships, especially marriage.

The number of homosexuals in American society is in the 2 to 3 percent range. Clearly an abnormal behavior pattern if you believe in the commonly accepted principle of normal distribution. It is not, by definition "normal" behavior. Most people don't want their children taught that it is.

EEreader
EEreader 02/11/13 - 01:54 pm
Gays in Scouts

Why not ask the Scouting Leadership to adhere to their own policy on the matter?

Home > Basics > What Scouting Is > Scouting Is Diverse

"Scouting is truly a melting pot. Scouts come from all walks of life, all types of family units, faiths, and racial and ethnic groups. The BSA respects the rights of people and groups who hold values that differ from those encompassed in the Scout Oath and Law, and aims to allow youth to live and learn as children and enjoy Scouting without immersing them in the politics of the day."

As long as there is a boy who wants to be a scout, and his parents agree, he should be allowed the chance to participate. As for the leaders of the scout troops, etc., so long as they are acceptable to the national and local scouting leadership and are also acceptable to the sponsoring organization, that's good enough for me.

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 02/11/13 - 01:33 pm
In the mean time...

While we're all offering our poitns of view, and even arguing about who is right and who is totally nuts, Obama sits there with his feet on the desk laughing at the distraction his administration fabricated to further divide us.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/11/13 - 01:56 pm
Brownie's, Cub/Boy Scouts

I was in Brownie's for about 10 minutes - not my cup of tea. My folks were the leader's of both cub/boy scouts - I went to every meeting. I earned my badges right along my brothers, but of course, since I was a girl I couldn't receive them. And I camped w/the scouts throughout Switzerland and not one of them ever treated me any different from them. There was no sex even thought of - not by me :) - the point is - I don't see why the gay/transgender/2-headed kid can't do the same. It didn't hurt my feeling that I wasn't a boy and not allowed to be equal cause I was taught not to beat the boys too bad cause I'd hurt their feelings - crazy mixed up world - my only concern is the adult male - when they sign up - the agreement is if he touches one child improperly (sexually) he will be castrated. How's that?

burninater
burninater 02/11/13 - 01:57 pm
The number of homosexuals in

------
The 2010 population of the greater Augusta metro area, at 556,877 is about 0.2% of the U.S. population of 313,914,040.

I sincerely hope that you have taught your children that living in the Augusta metro is an abnormal behavior pattern. Heck, from your logic Harley, being gay in America is 10 to 15 times more normal than living in Augusta! Augusta Pride!

ultrarnr
ultrarnr 02/11/13 - 02:05 pm
Bottom Line

When you start discriminating where do you stop. Why not exclude African Americans also?

burninater
burninater 02/11/13 - 02:06 pm
Well, faithson, if we must

--------
Tolerance of sexual orientation is not tolerance of molestation. I am thankful that the majority of Americans have a basic grasp on this simple fact. The minority that can't wrap their minds around this fact? You do more damage to yourselves than to anyone else when you publicly state that a simple distinction such as this is unfathomable.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/11/13 - 02:30 pm
I think Harley hit the nail

I think Harley hit the nail on the head with his statment concerning what most parents are concerned about......

"The real problem, IMHO, is that parents don't want their children taught that homosexuality is "normal," or "equal" lifestyle as a socially acceptable alternative to one man, one woman relationships, especially marriage"

burninater, I believe your logic has a great flaw. Everyone must live in one place or another so whether you live in Augusta or Youngstown, it is not considered an abnormal behavior determined by one place or the other.....unlike copulation. It is a normal behavior in itself but what determines the abnormality of it, is whether it is with a member of the opposite sex or with a member of the same sex.

Two totally different senarios but your confusion is understandable when you view it as being normal behavior. A majority of society does not, even though their view might be "to each his own".

harley_52
harley_52 02/11/13 - 02:38 pm
"I sincerely hope that you have taught your children....

....that living in the Augusta metro is an abnormal behavior pattern."

Sorry to let you down, burninater.

I would never teach (and my children would never consider) such an absurdity. All three of us would consider such a comparison totally foolish and an obvious attempt at obfuscation.

faithson
faithson 02/11/13 - 02:56 pm
"The real problem, IMHO, is

"The real problem, IMHO, is that parents don't want their children taught that homosexuality is "normal," or "equal" lifestyle". No the real problem is that not 40 years ago the same thing was being said of desegregation in this part of the country and most good white christians voted with their pocket books in sending their children to what was basically all white schools to keep them 'normal'. This resulting in what we see these days, where christian white folk who have NO experience with black people are in the forefront of the republican acrimony towards people of color.

burninater
burninater 02/11/13 - 03:09 pm
Alright harley and ICL, let's

Alright harley and ICL, let's consider a couple more minority statuses, as you think place of residence is an incorrect (ICL) or foolish and obfuscative (harley) analogy.

2 -3% of Americans are Methodist, Mormon, or Pentacostal.

Abnormal behavior pattern?

0.3% children homeschooled.

Abnormal behavior pattern?

I don't think any of the above behavioral choices are abnormal, simply because they don't fall within the first standard deviation of a normal distribution. Rather, I think the freedom to not be forced into compliance with statistically normative behavior, particularly when said behavior harms noone, is a profoundly American value.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/11/13 - 03:17 pm
Who is harmed by polygamy?

Who is harmed by polygamy? Who is harmed by a man who wants to marry his adult daughter, or a woman who wants to marry her adult son? These are still illegal and considered taboo. Who decides which deviations are allowed and which ones are not?

burninater
burninater 02/11/13 - 03:19 pm
Noone is harmed by polygamy,

Noone is harmed by polygamy, HA.

Two obvious truths:

1) polygamists have not produced the numbers or economic influence to push polygamy to the point of serious considerations of its legality. Will they ever? Couldn't tell you. Will it become a point of national debate on the meaning of freedom in this country if it does? Of course.

2) (and more obvious) Polygamy is not homosexuality. They are entirely separate issues. I prefer to think that we have reached the level of intellectual sophistication as a society that we can consider separate issues separately. What do you think about that?

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/11/13 - 03:20 pm
"where christian white folk

"where christian white folk who have NO experience with black people "

SERIOUSLY faithson? Please tell me where you find these christian white folk who haven't had any experience with black people? And just like the senario burniater used, yours is even worse.

burninater
burninater 02/11/13 - 03:25 pm
HA, you added more categories of

HA, you added more categories of behavior since I responded, but my point 2 specifically applies to those cases as well.

Who decides, HA? WE DO. Not an elite of religious leaders, and not the Scriptures. Welcome to America, a representative democracy. And we will decide these things each on their own merits, not as a package deal, as we do in this free country based on the rule of secular law.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/11/13 - 03:25 pm
"polygamists have not

"polygamists have not produced the numbers or economic influence to push polygamy to the point of serious considerations of its legality."

So if you don't complain or spend lots of money, your way of life doesn't count....I get it.

As for separate issues......no.....sexual deviants are sexual deviants. You can give them other names, or insist that the world accept them as normal, but it doesn't make it so.

allhans
allhans 02/11/13 - 03:27 pm
Since faithson has brought

Since faithson has brought race into play..There are many ethnic groups in the world that won't allow their people to marry a person of a different race. But, go ahead. WE can take it.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/11/13 - 03:27 pm
We do? Funny....the citizens

We do? Funny....the citizens of CA made the decision that homosexual marriage was illegal....and did it in a democratic manner...but that wasn't good enough. So again, I ask....who decides? It apparently isn't "us."