Vote for principles, progress

Does anyone find it ironic that Lowell Greenbaum, as chairman of the Richmond County Democratic Party, writes letters such as his latest blasting Republicans for the initial down vote on Hurricane Sandy relief (“GOP’s Sandy vote shameful,” Jan. 22)? This, from the county chief of the Democratic Party who represents the party of inclusion, the party of Kumbaya, to the rest of us.

Has Mr. Greenbaum ever met a Republican worth his salt? Mr. Greenbaum’s letters reflect a continuous stream of vitriol rarely displayed in letters from true politicians. As an independent and centrist, I always have believed politics was the art of compromise, not “take no prisoners.” How do we expect to make meaningful progress if every action taken is accompanied by inflammatory rhetoric designed to do nothing except stir up dissension between the political parties and mislead readers who don’t research the facts?

A $51 billion relief bill has since passed, so it seems the victims will receive needed aid in spite of these “cold-hearted” Republicans. In the meantime, let’s look at the initial bill and see what some of the objections were all about: $336 million in Amtrak expenses; $150 million in Alaskan fisheries relief; $8 million for new federal cars; $4 million for repairs to the Kennedy Space Center; $2 million for repairs to Smithsonian Institution buildings; and more. How can U.S. Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand and Charles Schumer of New York have the hubris to include items like these in a relief bill for innocent victims?

Is this political arrogance? Perhaps the reason that a recent New York Times poll gives Congress a 9 percent approval rating? Why would any politician vote for this bill before these onerous pork provisions were removed? Few “clean” bills are passed, according to Mr. Greenbaum. Isn’t that the problem? Are we prepared to accept marginal self-serving performance from our elected officials?

If this continues to be the case, we will continue to see the country slip further down the slope financially, morally and ethically. I don’t believe any of us wants that, and I urge people to vote for politicians who will represent the values we cherish in this country. At the moment, these include very few Democrats for me.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 02/08/13 - 10:06 am
We have very few "statesmen

We have very few "statesmen "....we only have politicians who serve special interest....themselves.

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/08/13 - 11:14 am
Why does federal flood insurance.....

paid for by the insured with an annual premium necessitate a congressional vote to pay benefits? POWER. Total power. Power that can look at suffering children and think, how can we use this suffering to gain more POWER. And some people actually believe we live in a civilized country.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/08/13 - 11:27 am
Moral Decline

All you have to do is watch any television to see the crap that passes for entertainment.
I could care less about the Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo, and all the other reality garbage.
Every show is about murder or some other dastartly act.
I miss the days of shows like Andy Griffith. Shows with a moral teaching.
I remember whenyou couldn't even say damn on tv. Now they push the encelope and pretty soon anything will be acceptable.
I don't have to watch this garbage and I don't.
Moral decline? Look no further than the boob tube to see the country doesn't care one iota about morality. The more shocking the better.
I think I'll stick to reading.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/08/13 - 12:39 pm
Lowell didn't talk about the

Lowell didn't talk about the huge pork in the bill. Lowell never talks about the huge costs of Obamacare and the unintended consequences. Lowell doesn't talk about Obama's gun control grab. In fact, Lowell never mentions that Obama and the Democrats have turned out to be exactly what the Republican told you they would be before you elected him the first time........a bunch of big government, big spending, freedom grabbing, tax raising, constitution hating, socialists.

Lowell, before you open your mouth for you monthly drivel you should do a quick check of the deficit, the debt, the unemployment rate, the GDP, the number on welfare and food stamps, the cost of private insurance, the cost of gasoline, the cost of food, our credit rating, and the public opinion polls on government spending. I think you will find they all reflect exactly what the Republicans warned you they would be back in 2008 when Obama was elected.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 02/08/13 - 12:54 pm
More of you need to think and vote independently.

The one-dimensional left-right model is as grossly oversimplified as it is obsolete. You really need three axes to accurately plot where people's values are, and that's separate from how things are actually run, which comes down to "moderate" (or "establishment") Republicans and "Blue Dog" Democrats. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't; more often than not, it only results in compromises that satisfy no one.

Darby
Darby 02/08/13 - 01:39 pm
"Moral Decline"

Shrimp - did you really write that? Don't confuse me like that. Now I've got to go back and reevaluate/upgrade my impression of you.

Jane18
Jane18 02/08/13 - 01:51 pm
Greenbaum

....and dichotomy, he never will. Of the very few democrats I know, their thoughts/reasonings are no where near reaching toward common sense. They absolutely cannot see who and what is wrong in America(with them and their politics)!

InquiringLynn-SkepticGriggsy
InquiringLynn-SkepticGriggsy 02/08/13 - 02:13 pm
Greenbaum-truth-teller!

The Democratic Party is centrist, whilst the Republican is right- and ultra-rightwing,led by Lim-burger, Hannity-capped, Polter-geist the Wreck, Phil Shoo-fly and O'Rly. Nice invective against those idiots!
Obamacare is working, and the majority now favor it and Pres.Obama.
Economists like Paul Krugman, Dean Baker and Paul Krugman reflect liberal reality and Bruce Bartlett and Mark Zandi reflect responsible Republican thought. Ludwig von Mises and Friedrich von Hayek were fringe economists- woo lovers and Milton Friedman at times made sense but was also on the fringe.
I always expect reactionary nonsensical invectives!
Curse me and other liberals and Eisenhower Republicans and - weep!
I stated that reactionary lies would lose! Obama- Biden could even lead to Clinton-Biden or Biden-?.

Darby
Darby 02/08/13 - 03:17 pm
"You really need three axes to accurately plot....

....where people's values are.."

You are suggesting that we adopt the European model, so that frequently, no one in really in control. That to even attempt to govern, one party must form some sort of coalition with another party in order to gain a majority.

IT WAS NOT WITHOUT THOUGHT that our founders shied away from the parliamentary system of governance.

Do you REALLY think we need to emulate our friends from across the pond? The ones who consistently come running to us for help?

I don't!

KSL
KSL 02/08/13 - 06:36 pm
Every once in a while a

Every once in a while a poster will really surprise you.

longleafpine
longleafpine 02/08/13 - 07:55 pm
Nice surprise, Shrimp

I could not agree with you more! I, too, read a lot. My TV viewing usually consists of Nat Geo, Discovery, History and Animal Planet. I also watch the news in the evenings.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/08/13 - 09:16 pm
Very good letter Mr. Burke.

Very good letter Mr. Burke. Like you, I'm an independent (moderate/ Liibertarian/ Conservative). That means I am socially in the middle and fiscally on the right. I find myself more typically voting against the Democrat rather than for the Republican.
We all could do without the Ann Coulters and Greenbums; they further divide people.

Darby
Darby 02/09/13 - 12:55 am
If you call yourself a Republican or Democrat.....

.... you can't be held responsible for the nut-cases who latch onto your party.

Ann Coulter for the GOP example, and the serial killer, Christopher Dorner, on the lam in California right now, who has embraced the Democrats and Obama.

Although if my life depended on it, and I had to accept a ride on a dark road with either of them, I'd probably choose Coulter. I might be a bit safer.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/09/13 - 07:38 pm
Oh yea, Ann isn't a dangerous

Oh yea, Ann isn't a dangerous person; I just think her vitriolic approach isn't useful for fostering an atmosphere of cooperation. In politics, or any other endeavor for that matter, people kave to be able to disagree without being disagreeable.

We have come to a winner take all cage fight mentality between Dems and Pubs, and the Dems are winning because they (IMO) are more inherantly mean spirited and deceitful.

Darby
Darby 02/09/13 - 10:04 pm
"the Dems are winning because they (IMO) are more....

inherently mean spirited and deceitful."

They may have more (and almost certainly do) have the edge on nastiness, but we Republicans have our share as well.

Their BIG ADVANTAGE comes from the fact that they can do or say almost anything without fear that it will be jumped on by the national media.

Whatever their transgression, it will be pushed back among the classified ads in the NY Times and other print media and not mentioned at all in television "news".

And then forgotten...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/10/13 - 12:20 am
I don't know; once we got rid

I don't know; once we got rid of "The Hammer", there haven't been too many more that are just downright nasty like that fool from Florida, Nadler, Bonny Fwank retired, Harry Reid of course, Weiner is gone, Clyburn can get off the chain, Sheila Lee and Sourpuss Maxine are also very shrill and condescending. I could keep on if I could see some names to jog my memory.

Darby
Darby 02/10/13 - 01:53 am
I was just trying to give the progs...

the benefit of the doubt.