Liberal's letter irrational

Once again we are treated to the ravings and rants of the expellee from the worker’s paradise, Cuba. His letter (“Now, scrutinize Reagan,” Feb. 3) reinforces the view that liberal ideologues have limited reasoning powers.

Check the following excursions into irrational thought and total denial of truth:

Did the writer confuse transcendent with transparent? Certainly it is not difficult to see through President Obama’s socialist agenda. He wants the feds to control everything from what you eat to how you protect your home.

The writer does not seem to know what campaigning means. It is what Obama has been doing since he was elected. Denial!

If there ever was a contradiction in terms, it is his point that compromising with the GOP labeled Obama a radical socialist. What? Does this make sense to anyone? Since when does compromising with conservatives make you a radical leftist? Plus, it never happened! Makes you wonder about the hypocrisy of those who escape brutal communist dictatorships only to attack the country that affords them freedom of speech.

Exactly how does a president go over the head of Congress by acting and using his voice?

As usual, the writer fails to cite evidence, but does say that President Reagan was “accused” of “suggesting” a delay in the release of Iran’s American hostages. He fails to say if the Ayatollah Khomeini acted on either the “accusation,” “suggestion” or both.

It is more likely that the ayatollah was impressed by the botched rescue attempt by one of the worst presidents in our history – Jimmy Carter!

Quiz: What political view would you attribute to such behavior – liberal or conservative? You know the answer! People like that would not have been welcome among our Founding Fathers who openly pledged their fortunes and lives for the cause of freedom.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/06/13 - 10:16 pm
There is no problem with the

There is no problem with the Church, but a great problem with the People of the Church. Churches are for sinners in need of repentence; in need of a Savior; in need of a Lord; in need of a Heavenly Father.

It isn't theology we should concern ourselves about but, whether or not we have been born again.

dahreese
dahreese 02/06/13 - 11:01 pm
@Carcraft

dahreese- you state society is demanding churches change, Well Scripture tells us that we are not to be conformed to society but transformed by the renewing of our mind.

If the Church wants to stay in business, it has to change, and it has changed down through the ages.

Christian females do not dress now as they did a hundred years ago.

When my mother and father were young, playing cards, dancing, going to the movies and alchohol was preached against.

When the 60s music came along, the Church was preaching against the "beat", but now a lot of contemporary church music has the "beat" because the children of the 60s would not have stayed in church without it.

"Scripture tells us...."

A number of thoughts; There's not a word in it that God actually said; Old or New testament. The Old Testament is a history of Jewish beliefs (including the Jewish invasion of "Palestina", a part of the source for the Middle East conflict today).

And there are the missing letters of Paul that I've already mentioned (Is the bible "incomplete?"). And I don't want to rehash that, at least, not now. But I will restate, that the first gospel (Mark) was not written until almost a hundred years after the "resurrection" by someone who was writting down, and trying to sort out, what he had heard passed down for decades.

And...there is the issue of accepting the "authority" of the bible.

You may, I do not. I do not deny that wisdom can be found between the covers, but that same kind of wisdom can be found in secular literature as well.

Accepting the "spirit" of the bible is something else.

I will say that at one time I was a conservative in spiritual and political matters.

And I still would be so if I had not asked a lot of questions and sought a lot of answers.

I could not go back to that even if I wanted to.

Once the moment of insight has been achieved, the action is somewhere else.

carcraft
carcraft 02/06/13 - 10:02 pm
Willow, my point is that if

Willow, my point is that if the Church celebrates sin, how will the sinner ever realize the need to repent?

KSL
KSL 02/06/13 - 10:23 pm
car

Spoken like an Episcopalian.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/06/13 - 10:32 pm
I know one thing

Jimmy Carter was not the worst President in history.
Not even close!

• Do a little resarch.
  • Willow Bailey
    20580
    Willow Bailey 02/06/13 - 10:32 pm
    I'm sorry carcraft; I'm not

I'm sorry carcraft; I'm not commenting against your post. I understand what you are saying. My comment was in response to another's though I hesitate to name them.

Also, the Church isn't a building or a denomination to me, it is oneness/assembly in Christ. The building isn't necessary nor is the denomination. We should be Christ focused, not man and tradition focused.

I agree with calling sin, sin. I agree with not changing to meet the unholy expectations or needs of others. I believe that those who do, will be judged for it. I also believe in continuing the relationship with those in sin as long as one has the spiritual maturity not to be swayed by them, but to be the greater influence. I believe in cutting off those whose clear intentions are to bring harm to you or into your family..those I leave in the capable hands of God.

Bizkit
    Bizkit 02/06/13 - 10:42 pm
    The Christian Church isn't

The Christian Church isn't society's but is the bride of Christ. It isn't our church-we are the body of Christ. But I appreciate and empathize with Dahreese's dilemma and position. He is conflicted over his faith and reality and believe me he is not alone. I too have gay family members I love. I have one friend whose gay son left the church because of the conflict between his faith and his identity as gay-and his father is also conflicted. I also have a catholic gay friend who just doesn't practice his homosexuality because of his faith-I guess he just represses it. The bible says seek and ye shall find so I think Dareese is seeking so I will not bash the man-and I apologize if I have. The bible says be not drunk so many of my friends are rabid about alcohol (some had alcoholics in the family so there are some scars there too) but my wife and I drink moderately on occassion. If a homosexual comes to Christ- I would encourage it because the bible says God will make you more Christ-like. So we should welcome homosexuals into the church-we don't need to point out any sin-because that isn't our domain that is God's domain. God knows everyone's heart so if he could accept an adulterer, murderer like David who was the apple of his eye, then who the heck are we to cast dispersions on any sin. God has that in control-he judges us for our sins-not any of us. I sin everyday and because of that I am dependent on Christ. But God knows my heart and despite my sin and I am covered with the blood of the Lamb-Christ. I am sure every Church has homosexuals who attend and I am sure God wil work his way with all. I am not accepting or excusing sin-but I am accepting people and trying to demonstrate the love that God has shown me. If any is without sin then you cast the first stone. I am not casting stones and I ask all to forgive me if I have. It isn't our job to be legalistic but to be optimistic-hope! Without Christ there is no hope. I have struggled with violence in my life-got the proof to boot I am ashamed to admit. There a reason for it so I went to counseling and tried some meds too-and on the short term it helped me to realize the root of my problem. Through time I lost hope. Until I found God I struggled. And through time God has changed me (although I have my moments at times and I can scare the heck out of people trying to control that rage). Thankfully I haven't had any violence in my life for a number of decades, but I could fall off the wagon and that scares the heck out of me. I couldn't live with myself if I actully hurt someone again. But I guess we all have our demons-I am just not ashamed to admit. That is the main reason I support Christianity because without it life meant nothing so taking it meant nothing-it is my witness. God can change anyone. Govt can't, we can't, society can't, science can't. People should realize there are a lot like me out there and without those folks having this faith-well there would be hell to pay. People get caught up on-is God real-is heaven real-is hell real. I could care less to be honest because it is real to me-and that keeps me honest.

Willow Bailey
    20580
    Willow Bailey 02/06/13 - 10:55 pm
    Biz, well said. We all just

Biz, well said. We all just need Jesus. He takes us just like we are, but with Him, change is possible. He loves us and He will grow us into His likeness. We can't do it on our own.

People without Him, like to point their fingers as those who confess Him as their Lord and say, "Look at you, you are not perfect." (The fear of that, kept me silent for too many years.) Guess what, we already know that, BUT, Jesus is, and He's got us covered....in His own blood. Price paid, penalty served.

RMSHEFF
    RMSHEFF 02/06/13 - 10:56 pm
    Bizkit

Your post is your "opinion" but is contrary to the teaching of scripture. The purity of the Church was one of Christ's highest priorities. Read 1 and 2 Corinthians. Paul instructs the Corinthians to root out all those who practice sexual immorality.

Bizkit
    Bizkit 02/06/13 - 11:09 pm
    No it isn't my opinion it was

No it isn't my opinion it was Christ said-to not judge, to love your enemy. As you said "Paul said". Show me where Christ said to judge people and make people your enemy. Paul isn't Christ, and people often confuse what Paul says as what Christ said. Paul was a great missionary and it isn't a criticism of him-but don't confuse the message of Christ with specific letters that Paul wrote for specific purposes. Much damage has come from Paul comments about women in that one specific instance (because of a lack of education)-when in actuality Paul often used women in the church and he would be called a women's liber of his time (because judaism is very chauvinistic). My own church won't let women teach a man-I think that is a sin because it is likey saying the Holy Spirit doesn't work in women. The early church was mostly run by women. Women are the backbone of most churches today. They are not second place citizens in God's eyes or in heaven. God said a man is to love his wife and a women to respect her man, but the love of man is like Christ who was a servant-so we are to be the servants to our wives as was Christ to all. Don't be so legalistic-it sounds like the Sadducees and Pharisses.

dahreese
    dahreese 02/06/13 - 11:15 pm
    @Carcraft

"He is conflicted over his faith and reality and believe me he is not alone."

Hardly.

"I have one friend whose gay son left the church because of the conflict between his faith and his identity as gay-"

The conflict is the "son" who knows who he is, but the church wants him to conform.

The best thing he can do for himself is to leave that church.

As to the "father's conflict", I wish I could talk to a lot of fathers who are just as conflicted as he is.

And Carcraft, you can't use the bible to prove the bible.

dahreese
    dahreese 02/06/13 - 11:14 pm
    @Bizkit

"I could care less to be honest because it is real to me-and that keeps me honest."

You aren't strong enough to be spiritually honest without a threat hanging over your head?

Bizkit
    Bizkit 02/06/13 - 11:21 pm
    Thanks Willow. I think people

Thanks Willow. I think people forget they are like ex-alchoholics but not even ex. We all sin-God uses that dependence on him to change us. If people had judged me so harshly for my sin, well I likely would still be violent and definitely in prison. But I was already in prison until Christ set me free. That is the Good news-the Gospel. The kingdom of God is near-and it is his kingdom and he makes the rules. I can't stand a pious christian who pretends to be good. There is no good in any of us except through Christ. I am starting to think some people haven't experienced the same God I have, but I pray you do. He loved me when I hated him, hated everyone, and wanted to make people feel my pain-even to death. I have a friend who was a drug addict, a bank robber, and a murderer. He spent time in prison and found Christ. He is now a pastor-should he be kicked out and dismissed because of his mistakes of taking human life-should he be trusted?? We weren't that much different. That is the hope in Christ I am talking about-yes we make mistakes but now we both have a new beginning and while all of you may judge us harshly-I know God will not because I accepted his Son as the Truth and the Light of the World. Are not we to be the salt and light too. Judgement is mine sayeth the Lord.

Bizkit
    Bizkit 02/06/13 - 11:33 pm
    No Dahreese. I am stating I

No Dahreese. I am stating I don't care about heaven or hell. I am not preoccupied with going to either. If I were strong enough to change then I wouldn't have needed Christ. No I am not able to change-likely for the same reason homosexuals are homosexual too. There is greater evidence for a genetic tendency to violence than homosexuality but that isn't an excuse for me being violent. I grew up in a secular humanist and science oriented family. I always believed in evolution so humans are just another mammals big deal if one dies-in fact a very poor mammal biologically because we can't compete with the diversity and numbers of rodents. Life only became significant to me through Christ-if that is a weakness so be it. I was already in hell for reason I won't explain. I have found peace. That is a good thing-more people need to find that same peace.

dahreese
    dahreese 02/06/13 - 11:58 pm
    @Bizkit

At least you know why, and where, you're coming from.

And I can support that.

You're way ahead of most christians.

Bizkit
    Bizkit 02/06/13 - 11:38 pm
    Dahreese I stated those not

Dahreese I stated those not Carcraft. Sorry if I mispoke what I interpreted you to say. Basically I understand now you are stating you are not a christian and don't believe in God???? I guess both of us shouldn't speak for other people eh. Your advice for my friends and my trying to figure out where you are coming from.

Bizkit
    Bizkit 02/06/13 - 11:42 pm
    My weakness was in my

My weakness was in my heart-not my head or body.Both ot those are very strong indeed. I am very disciplined too-at least now. It isn't because God was a threat it is because I was.

Bizkit
    Bizkit 02/07/13 - 12:03 am
    I gather you from the School

I gather you from the School of Rational Spirituality. It isn't called faith because of rationalization.

dahreese
    dahreese 02/07/13 - 12:07 am
    @Bizkit

My apology to you both.

I realized my mistake, but was cut off for having too many posts, today.

"Basically I understand now you are stating you are not a christian and don't believe in God????

Correct, I no longer claim to be christian nor any other belief.

That's not to say I'm agnostic. It's to say that the journey that I was told I had to take was not for me. And I'm very happy where I am.

Nor am I trying to "change" anyone.

But, the Church, whether it be christian, moslem, hindu, whatever, doesn't work for me.

And there are more ''prisoners" in all of them than there are "free."

They just don't know it.

And I resent the Church for its participation in that. (But I still have respect for the "principles" of the Church.

"All beliefs are One. The sages call them by many names."
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow..............

Bizkit
    Bizkit 02/07/13 - 12:11 am
    When I started my spiritual

When I started my spiritual journey I too entertained other faiths but I found my peace in Christ. To each his own I guess. Sleep well my friend.

shrimp for breakfast
    shrimp for breakfast 02/07/13 - 12:34 am
    I believe

That Jesus would't even have an opinion if there was a gay person in the church.
    I don't believe he would try to change him/her only except them with love and move on. He would never condemn anyone for the fact they were born gay.
    People don't learn homosexuality. They are born that way and no amount of bible thumping is going to change that fact!

Bizkit
    Bizkit 02/07/13 - 12:44 am
    Personally I've never been

Personally I've never been very much into spirituality most of my life-I personally found that rational spirituality is just a bunch of voodoo because basically all spirituality is very irrational to me. But then I experienced a real God that really changed me. It isn't some rationalization or spiritualization but experiencing a real God. But to each their own.

Willow Bailey
    20580
    Willow Bailey 02/07/13 - 01:20 am
    I love the story of

I love the story of Nicodemus.

Good Night guys...

carcraft
    carcraft 02/07/13 - 06:48 am
    dahreese, I don't use the

dahreese, I don't use the Bible to prove the Bible, I try to use the Bible to see if the teaching of the world conform the Bible and the error they introduce. I also think you made a common mistake that most liberals do. You said the Church lied to us. Here is the illustration I will use to demonstrate your error in logic. It is the same one about George Bush and WMD. If I get paid on Friday and check my bank account and my Friday pay of $1,000.00 has been deposited. I go to work and while I am at work my bank account gets raided by the IRS to provide health insurance for some drug addicted welfare cheat. I don't get a chance all day to check and see if my money is still in my account. I get home from work and my wife says "honey I need to pay some bills, do we have money?" I say "sure, we have $1,000.00. " Did I lie to her? There was no intent to deceive. The early Church Fathers , I think, were honest men and may have called writings of someone else Paul's writings, but there was no intent to deceive, just as I don't believe Bush intended to deceive. Now as I said, I wasn't there. I do have faith God guided the process of the setting of the Scriptural cannons of the Church. I do believe that the early church fathers were at least as wise as modern day theologans who second guess and push agendas!

carcraft
    carcraft 02/07/13 - 06:52 am
    I to am a sinner and struggle

I to am a sinner and struggle with all the common problems of the Human race, lust (gee I was born that way so lets celebrate it, I am sure my wife would like the littergy of the Play Boy Bunny). I am small minded and very ugly at time, ( well we are born this way so lets have the litergy of the temper tantrum and celebrate greed). Like most Americans I carry to much weight (lets have the feast of..oh nevr mind we do have our covered dish suppers...ooops). I think you get my point!

Willow Bailey
    20580
    Willow Bailey 02/07/13 - 08:05 am
    Yes , carcraft. If that is

Yes , carcraft. If that is our attitude, then we don't understand grace at all.

Step one, confess and ask God's help with your sins daily. He will take away our desire for it. Stay in prayer. Have a daily devotional for practical application. Seek a godly accountability partner and a spiritual recovery group.

Realize coming to Christ doesn't fix all of our problems, instantly. It is a journey.

God sees our hearts, our motivations. Change is possible through Christ.

"God, I don't get it, but I want it. I believe, but help me Lord in my disbelief."

A couple of good devotionals. "Come Away My Beloved, Secrets of the Secret Place, Jesus is Calling, Streams in the Desert"

A really good book..."Just Give Me Jesus." Ann Graham Lotz

Willow Bailey
    20580
    Willow Bailey 02/07/13 - 01:44 pm
    carcraft, hope it's clear

carcraft, hope it's clear that I am not lecturing you or anyone else.
    Just adding to the discussion through my own experience.

May God be glorified through this exchange.

carcraft
    carcraft 02/07/13 - 06:22 pm
    Willow, no offense taken, I

Willow, no offense taken, I have been a Christian for more of my life than I haven't. Some parts of the old nature die harder than others. Again, my point is that even thought things in life may be difficult to over come, by God's grace they can be overcome. The Church should not be telling people to give up and not struggle. God's grace CAN over come and I don't really understand the Church conforming to the world by celebrating sin!

myfather15
    myfather15 02/07/13 - 11:54 pm
    @faithson

When you read about people from history, try reading more than just wikipedia; it would do you well.

Just a few quick yes or not questions:

1) Did Sanger attend KKK meetings? Yes
    2) Did Sanger voice that she enjoyed those meetings? Yes
    3) Did Sanger believe in eugenics? Yes
    4) Was Sanger a racist? Yes

Feel free to answer these questions; but please tell me where you got your answers, besides wikipedia.

myfather15
    myfather15 02/08/13 - 12:07 am

Quote from Sanger, in her own book; "“We want fewer and better children…and we cannot make the social life and the world-peace we are determined to make, with the ill-bred, ill-trained swarms of inferior citizens that you inflict on us.”

Yep, sounds like the secular lefts "Champion of civil rights" doesn't it?

People are so ignortant its amazing. Faye Wattleton (Planned Parenthoods first black president) said she was "Proud to be walking in the footsteps of Margaret Sanger." Really? Did this idiot realize Sanger would have euthanized her and her children? Wow are people WILLINGLY ignorant!!