Seek violence's true cause

The current obsession with gun-law additions completely overlooks the root cause of the increase in mass shootings in public venues occurring over recent decades.

Nothing even approaching this level of violent behavior was prevalent in this country as recently as 50 to 60 years ago, during the time I was receiving my formal education. As a concerned citizen, father, grandfather and great-grandfather, I must ask myself why. What has happened to our society, collectively, over those years to produce such an abundance of anthropophobia?

It most certainly is not increased access or tolerance to firearms. Assault weapons such as those being sold today were not as available, but semi-automatic handguns surely were. When I was in high school it was common to see pickup trucks in the school parking lot with rifles in rear window racks. Weapons could be purchased from mail-order catalogs and shipped to one’s home. Background checks were nonexistent, but so were school and movie theater shootings.

Is it possible to identify a common thread in these atrocities? Can’t it be said that all are perpetrated by mentally-disturbed anthropophobes (with the exception of the Muslim radicals, who simply hate infidels)? Mentally disturbed individuals have been among us since time immemorial, but not so many of this anthropophobic sort.

Having neither psychiatric training nor a deeply held religious affiliation, I will preface this by stating that my qualifications to say what I am about to may be questionable. However, I firmly believe what we are witnessing here is the phenomenon of failure of our “progressive” educational system, wherein we have abandoned the teachings of religion, family and moral values, individual initiative and responsibility, as well as the value of competition.

Human nature is to be competitive, and we are systematically suppressing this attribute in favor of a forced view of common equality. We are led to believe that one should never have to lose; life is always fair, or should be; and when we often find life is not fair, we are abjectly unprepared for this eventuality. Another equally contributive factor is the user-friendly violence made available in video games and the current output of Hollywood drivel.

Perhaps it is worthwhile to bolster some restrictions on guns, such as an assault weapons ban, but going much further than that would threaten our constitutional foundations and only create further divisions within our already-fractured political system.

Alternatively, why don’t we begin to look introspectively at our own societal decline and do our best to identify those concepts we are teaching our young people that only serve to promote such aberrant behavior?

Terrence Bedell

Appling

burninater
burninater 02/04/13 - 08:32 pm
That's the first time I've

That's the first time I've ever seen someone use the word "serendipity" twice in the same sentence while trying to insult somebody for something they didn't say.
-----
This is a continuation of a discussion yesterday, in the comments for the ACES opinion that amnesty cheapens citizenship. I have expressed the opinion that it is to me a shameful position, when most of us did nothing more than get born lucky. Willow never expressed that opinion, the ACES did. My comments are directed at the editorial, not at Willow, and I have as much right to express my opinion on the issue as the ACES and everyone else does.

rebellious
rebellious 02/04/13 - 08:32 pm
Born Lucky

so thatz how people get lucky! Who knew? Drats, Gotta go clean out my drawer full of rabbit's feet

harley_52
harley_52 02/04/13 - 09:02 pm
"Willow never expressed that opinion, the ACES did...

.... My comments are directed at the editorial, not at Willow, and I have as much right to express my opinion on the issue as the ACES and everyone else does.

Do not put words in my mouth, and do not accuse me of insults simply for expressing my opinion."

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Did I say "Willow?"

I put no "words in your mouth."

Typically, one comments on today's threads today, yesterday's threads yesterday. When you choose to step outside that model, it would be helpful if you identified such.

I really was impressed with the sentence I quoted. I might use the word "serendipity" about once every two years. You used it twice in the same sentence and I think that's pretty remarkable.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 02/04/13 - 10:20 pm
Well, burn, it does look as

Well, burn, it does look as if you credited me with a statement I didn't make. So, pardon me for saying if anyone should be freaking out over having words put in their mouth, it should really be me.

Now that we have some honesty on that, may I compliment you on your use of "serendipity". It was really special of you to share it with me and twice, too.

KSL
KSL 02/04/13 - 11:02 pm
I have a hard time figuring

I have a hard time figuring out what is OK to say around here.

burninater
burninater 02/04/13 - 11:29 pm
You and me both, KSL. Willow

You and me both, KSL.

Willow specifically asked me a question referring to our comments on yesterday's citizenship editorial. I never credited her with saying anything, but she says I have.

And when Harley called the opinion in my direct response to Willow an attempt to insult, why would I not think he was saying my response was an insult directed at her?

Mind boggled.

burninater
burninater 02/04/13 - 11:49 pm
Harley, I have to cut you

Harley, I have to cut you some slack for not realizing that you had jumped into the middle of an ongoing discussion between me and Willow, but the putting words in my mouth referred to "trying to insult somebody for something they didn't say." Expressing an opinion is not trying to insult, and nowhere in those comments did I claim somebody said something they didn't.

Darby
Darby 02/05/13 - 12:02 am
"Perhaps it is worthwhile to bolster some restrictions.......

.....on guns, such as an assault weapons ban...."

Mr. Bedell must have been busy doing something else last time around. The assault weapons ban had NO EFFECT and was discontinued. No reason to believe going there again would be any different.

City to consider emergency plan

The Richmond County Emer­gency Management Agency has drafted changes to emergency operating procedures. Overlooked, however, were several pages of emergency contact data riddled with ...