Abortions deadlier than guns

In 1970, Apollo 13 captivated our nation’s attention. The world watched as one, captivated, praying that the capsule Aquarius would protect the three astronauts and deliver them back to Earth. Less than three years later, an intrusive Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision assured there would be no safe “capsule” for the unborn.

Legalized abortion turned 40 recently, and the latest poll suggests two out of three Americans want Roe v. Wade to remain law. I do not know whether to call those in favor ignorant, callous or oblivious. I stand lost at this misguided logic.

We are told that women must have a choice when it comes to their bodies. Frankly, I couldn’t care less what women do with their bodies. However, that which is developing in a woman’s womb is not her body but a new creation that longs not to be destroyed.

We are told a woman has reproductive rights. What do you think is being reproduced, a fish? No, it is this miracle we call human life.

Progressives will argue the government should stay out of that which should be between a woman and her doctor. Unless the doctor is an abortionist, then taking tax dollars to pay for abortion drugs and/or procedures is the appropriate choice.

The hypocrisy of “pro-choice” is immense. We all watched in horror after 20 people were slaughtered at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The left says take the guns because we must protect the children – unless they are in the womb. A medical instrument in the hands of an abortionist is just as deadly as an AR-15 in the hands of a demented shooter.

Our nation stands today terribly divided. This division will soon cause our union to fail. One of the significant seeds of this polarization was planted 40 years ago.

Barry F. Cook

Augusta

What Happened
What Happened 01/31/13 - 05:18 pm
Get out of other people's

Get out of other people's lives. Your post stinks of wanting to punish the two adults for having and enjoying sex in a way you don't like, instead of genuinely caring about the fetus. Sometimes people make mistakes, sometimes it's the fault of the condom breaking or some other mostly-unpreventable accident, sometimes they were raped and ended up pregnant.

Oh, and stop acting like abortion is an easy choice. It's not an ''Oh, I'm pregnant, lemme just stop by the abortion clinic with my friend Sally and then go to the mall afterwards'' like you make it seem. It's a very hard and painful choice to make.

What Happened
What Happened 01/31/13 - 05:19 pm
Yes, a fetus is going to

Yes, a fetus is going to become a child, but the person carrying it is already a living, breathing, working person. How does it make sense to tell that person they have less rights than an unborn child? What gives anyone the right to tell that person that they have to have the baby or that you are in control of what they do with their body and they're not? All these extremist republicans/christians are so lost in their mythology that they've forgotten how to think for themselves and make logical choices.

If abortion is selfish, so is killing a tapeworm. Really, can't people be a little more selfless with their bodies? Those tapeworms can't help that they are parasites, it's not their fault. They are fully alive and dependent on their host. Where's the love for tapeworms? A human embryo or zygote's only worth is that attributed to it by its host (its mother). And that's the way it should be: if you are not carrying that particular human embryo, tapeworm, liver fluke, whatever, it IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. If a woman wants her human embryo than she will allow it to live and develop into a human child. There is no law anywhere that all human embryos MUST be allowed develop into a child. A human embryo does not suffer for being aborted, any than a liver fluke suffers for being killed with vermicide. I can see people being against an abortion at 8 and a 1/2 months, but later term abortions are rarely done. A abortion of an embryo several weeks old should not trouble anyone unless you are a Jainist. A human adult woman, being a sapient, self-aware being with complex emotions, CAN suffer from being forced to play incubator.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/31/13 - 05:23 pm
"Get out of people's lives."

"Get out of people's lives."

I didn't realize that wanting to prevent one human from killing another human was "getting in their lives." Who is acting like it's an easy choice? I certainly hope it wouldn't be easy to kill your own baby.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/31/13 - 05:29 pm
Dittos Dan

"The best way to reduce abortions is to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies through education and contraception."

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/31/13 - 06:26 pm
How about reducing it through decent moral formation?

Nothing else is going to help this situation one little bit, despite what those who rationalize living like beasts may bleats to the contrary.

Easy access to artificial birth control was the original doorway for the moral decline that has led us to this abomination of slaughtering our own children whenever we find carrying them or having responsibility for them inconvenient.

When people were faced with the somewhat high probability of pregnancy, sex tended to stay within marriage, even with adultery and the predictable slip-ups by the unwed. The GOAL was to reserve sex for a married couple, and those who flaunted that social standard were viewed, quite appropriately, as having weak character or as deliberately immoral. The weak fared far better than the profligate.

Now we mock the very idea of having any standards at all that don't include the possibility of actually choosing to have sex out of wedlock.

And look what the rest of the world thinks of us as a nation: Weak, self-indulgent and irresponsible. And it's largely true.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/31/13 - 07:22 pm
I Have The Answer To The Abortion Issue.

My Solution would...

1. Eliminate the need of abortions.

2. No more Pro Choice - Pro Life Hair pulling.

3. No more need of for unused Rubbers and all contraception paraphernalia.

4. No more wasted money on worthless time, (In one ear, out the other) spent on sex education.

5. No more children out of wedlock.

6. Reduce the debt by not having to pay for all the welfare pop-outs.

7. No more Religious turmoil.

8. No more rapes.

9. No more sexual harassment in working places and schools.

and plus many more problems would be solved.......

Lets go back to the 16th Century (The Renaissance Age)

and bring back the

CHASITY BELT FOR BOTH MALES AND FEMALES
The one's that have a key to it and would be given only on the day of a marriage.

OK, How many "I" do I get!!

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 01/31/13 - 07:23 pm
Has anyone ever held a

Has anyone ever held a newborn baby... that they wished had been aborted?

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/31/13 - 07:34 pm
Brave Fiat to address the

Brave Fiat to address the moral cultural side of the issue. I think education and access data is an ecological fallacy from skewed data in the US. People always talk about minorities having the most abortions but that isn't true-whits 36%, blacks 30%, 25% hispanics. Half of all abortions are women in their twenties, 54% of abortions are in women who have used a means of contraception-only 46 are because of a lack of birth control (gasp! makes you wonder about the contraceptions claims). There are lots of cultural issues related to human behavior that is independent of education or access to birth control. Just like the gun issue people are morons and examine the peripherals rather than the root of the problem-human behavior. The logic of such insanity will just be banning a long list of potential weapons. Note all the copy cat violence or the media highlighting the gun violence for political purposes?????? Human behavior is something else. Progressive=Lie, steal, cheat- anything to dominate you and tell you what to think and do=Alinsky strategy. "We" (the chosen or favored) know what America needs to be and how you should live and what you should do and what you should think. We've always been limited by binary thinkers now the hope is a population of clones. My bet in another two years all the books will say America has 57 States and how Obama discovered the lost ones.

fedex227
fedex227 01/31/13 - 09:16 pm
"Has anyone ever held a newborn baby that they wished ...

had been aborted?"

Maybe. Perhaps the parent of a child born with Tay-Sachs disease or Epidermolysis Bullosa- granted in the case of EB that wouldn't really apply.

KSL
119036
KSL 01/31/13 - 09:25 pm
I have mixed feeligs

Hope I don't lose friends over this. As a married adult I have had to encounter this decision, twice. Once before Roe v Wade, once after. I can promise that I had used every means of birth control available at the second time. The first time, before R v W, I could have legally had the abortion. I have 2 children, but I am grateful my husband and I had the choice. We made the decisions together as equals.

KSL
119036
KSL 01/31/13 - 09:28 pm
no fed

No one has ever held a newborn wishing to have aborted it if she was the mother and not a monster.

fedex227
fedex227 01/31/13 - 09:39 pm
KSL ...

You should read up on those diseases ... and then decide who the monster is. I don't believe even god would look down upon a parent unwilling to put a child through the torment, unbearable pain, and torture of those incurable illnesses. But that's only my opinion. I'm just glad that in this country the mother gets to make the decision, not the government.

KSL
119036
KSL 01/31/13 - 10:13 pm
but fed

Unlike when I had my first child, parents these days have more opportunity to make an informed decision prior to the birth.

We gambled and won. No one knew what the outcome would be. YT?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/31/13 - 09:55 pm
Tell me something

Does anyone really want to go back to the days of rubber gloves and coat hangers because THAT is exactly what would happen.
Everybody has a soapbox.

KSL
119036
KSL 01/31/13 - 10:08 pm

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 01/31/13 - 10:43 pm
To Humble Angela...

To Humble Angela, thank you for your posts. Excellent.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 01/31/13 - 10:45 pm
Abortion letter by Barry Cook.

Regarding Barry Cook's letter titled: Abortions Deadlier than Guns. True. Thank you for an excellent letter.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 01/31/13 - 11:00 pm
You likely knew that I wasn't

You likely knew that I wasn't speaking of a baby who had a dreadful disease with no hope of cure or survival. BUT, even so, everything has a purpose and God uses everything for good in our lives when we trust Him with the outcome regardless of whether we can see it or not.

What I am speaking about is using abortion for birth control, which the majority of abortions are the the result of. Twently years ago, I held a newborn baby girl...my daughter. I thank God everyday that the young girl who conceived her chose to give her life through adoption.

I've heard a lot of regrets on this subject. Just this week two women chose to share their abortion stories with me....both of them happened over thirty years ago. They are still feeling guilty, hurting, experiencing the consequences and wishing they had made different choices.

fedex227
fedex227 01/31/13 - 11:19 pm
"You likely knew that I wasn't speaking of a ...

baby who had a dreadful disease with no hope of cure or survival."

Actually I didn't. And that's the problem with making blanket statements and generalizations. For most people this is a difficult, soul searching issue; it's not black and white, cut and dry. The only point I wanted to make was that as much of a life altering decision as this is, it can be made by individuals after input from their physician, their parents and family members, spiritual leaders, etc. And is not decided by their government.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 01/31/13 - 11:44 pm
@fedex... "For most people

@fedex... "For most people this is a difficult, soul searching issue; it's not black and white, cut and dry."

To that I disagree greatly with you. Perhaps that was true in the past, but our society is "progressing" and there is a deadness of heart in this matter.

Abortion has become more about birth control, timing and inconvenience. In the USA alone, since, 1973, there have been over 50 million abortions. At the current rate 1/3 of American women will have had an abortion and 50% of the women who have abortions have already had at least one other! I'm sorry, but does that sound to you like most women are struggling with their decisions?

We have to start taking responsibility for our bodies and our decisions before there is a baby.

KSL
119036
KSL 02/01/13 - 12:47 am
Abortion should never be

Abortion should never be about birth control if all available means will not work.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/01/13 - 10:42 am
It's the stunning arrogance that rivets me

I mean, how could any one of us decide that our own life, to say nothing of our lifestyle or convenience, takes precedence over the life of another person, especially an innocent person?

What makes any one of us believe our own lives are more important, more valuable than the life of an innocent child?

How did we get to the social and moral abyss that allows so many of us to view other created human beings as optional? Did that segment of our society decide they aren't eternal beings after all? Or have they concluded there are no real obstacles to or consequences for unrestrained sexual promiscuity?

Even a severely, distressingly disabled child has a right to its full span of life. Just like you do.

Perhaps some of us will have to become "old and in the way" before we wise up on this matter. In the not-too-distant future, the old and sick are unlikely to be any safer than the unborn, just as was the case in Nazi Germany, Stalinist USSR and nation upon nation for millenia.

We're just the most recent civilization to shake off our moral moorings in our incredible, self-congratulatory arrogance and celebration of me, myself an I.

Vogtle workforce hits 4,200

About 4,200 workers are employed at the Plant Vogtle expansion project where the first two reactors built in the U.S. in more than three decades are rising from the red clay.