Debt deserves our concern

I seem to be the only person in my family even slightly concerned about the U.S. debt.

The United States owes $16 trillion to the federal government, American investors, future retirees and other countries to pay our national bills. How is this not more of a concern to our government and our citizens?

It seems as though Greece was the first country that started to go bankrupt. This seemed to have a negative effect on many countries in Europe. To keep Greece from going bankrupt, other countries gave Greece financial aid with certain conditions.

Neither Greece nor other European countries have near the warring capabilities of the United States. Isn’t it possible that U.S. defense capabilities might just be the advantage that our country has for any country to call in their loan from the United States? Think about it.

carcraft
carcraft 01/23/13 - 05:43 am
No way can we just cancel out debt

The problem is that are part of the World economy and the US would now starve because many of the items and much of the material we use to produce food etc. comes from overseas. Kubota tractors, Japan, Mahindra, based in Mumbai, even items built in the US have parts from all over the world and are just assembled here in the US. If we fail and our currency goes under we are hosed. Down grading our credit rating just increase the cost of borrowing money. With our massive debt we have two choices, austerity or monetize it. Obama clearly has no proclivity to cut spending, the more debt the better. Obama has run up more debt in 4 years than Bush did in 8. The forecast is more of the same from his Inauguration address. That means we monetize the problem. Dumping this much money into the US and world economy only increase inflation and raises the cost of goods and services. Gas was about $1.60/gallon when Bush left office, today about , about $3.20/gallon. I look at my grocery bill and see how little I buy for a hundred bucks! Poor people and lower middle class get crushed by this but of course you can’t tell liberals. So Obama will have his $5.00/ gallon for gas when he leaves office in four years! Food will cost even more and we will have more EBT cards out there. This isn’t rocket science!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 01/23/13 - 06:29 am
inflation is the worst tax

inflation is the worst tax imposed on the economy by any govt...and yes it is a tax..

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/23/13 - 07:36 am
Debt

"We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations." Obama says this in his inaugural address with a straight face. And yet, he has no problem saddling them with a $22T dollar debt.

Techfan
Techfan 01/23/13 - 07:18 am
sattling? A small sat?

sattling? A small sat?

Techfan
Techfan 01/23/13 - 07:56 am
Fixed it. There you go.

Fixed it. There you go.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/23/13 - 08:14 am
That's right. If you can't

That's right. If you can't argue with the substance, just attack the spelling. I was told by an ACES staff member that grammar/spelling police was just another way to insult people. I expect no less from some.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/23/13 - 08:27 am
HA

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/23/13 - 08:39 am
Not sweating at all......just

Not sweating at all......just pointing out hypocrisy when I see it. :-)

David Parker
David Parker 01/23/13 - 09:15 am
How long can the can be

How long can the can be kicked?

Techfan
Techfan 01/23/13 - 09:18 am
What ever happened to people

What ever happened to people having a sense of humor? I guess it's gone by the wayside much the same as a civil debate.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 01/23/13 - 09:50 am
Sense of humor

@Techfan
So true about the lack of a sense of humor or an appreciation for wit.
I got in trouble over an imaginary horse. Go figure.
But the sun is shining and I am above ground; that makes a good day by my definition.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/23/13 - 10:21 am
I have found a sense of humor

I have found a sense of humor normally works best among good friends and usually falls flat when a history of patronizing or negative behavior is involved.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/23/13 - 11:21 am
I guess sense of humor went

I guess sense of humor went away with debating (civil debating) the actual topic v/s snide comments. It's not just today, it's nearly every day. I'm sure most posters here would agree with me.

Darby
Darby 01/23/13 - 11:29 am
Am I the only one to notice....

that this thread has gone COMPLETELY off track????????????

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/23/13 - 11:31 am
You are right Darby...but I

You are right Darby...but I doubt any of the liberals want to really talk about the debt............they certainly don't want to actually DO anything about it.

Darby
Darby 01/23/13 - 11:52 am
Yeah, Angela, I was pretty sure

that I was not alone. Just wanted to get my two cents worth in....

Have a good day..

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/23/13 - 06:47 pm
Fiscal responsibility at all levels in the USA

How many posters have a balanced budget? How many ARC taxpayers ever look at their balance sheet? Not many. Debt without collateral is the name of the game. 1950 we got credit cards thanks to BAC. Buy all you can and pay later. Credit card debt out the wazzu. Borrow on next weeks paycheck. Get a loan from the Sioux Indians at 80% interest for six months to pay of the charge card debt.

Living within one's means is an equal opportunity employer. Look in the mirror. No gold standard for the country. No collateral for personal debt.

You think you are not borrowing from the Chinese? And the British? And the German's?

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.