Tell other side of gun issue

It is a pity that my hometown newspaper elects to publish letters in this column of late that represent only one side of this now sensitive issue: those singularly opposed to any kind of added or strengthened regulations or controls. In direct contrast to a goodly number of those I have read here, increased and far stronger regulations that control legal access and ownership of weapons does reduce significantly the number of deaths by gunfire, as well as gun-related injury, in those other members of the civilized Western world – and consistently so. We have but to familiarize ourselves with the pertinent statistics. They are easily available.

The oft-quoted Second Amendment rights beg another comment. I asked my 9-year-old great-grandson to read that misquoted amendment aloud, after posing the following question: Does this amendment guarantee to private citizens the right to freely purchase and own firearms? His answer, as is my own: It most certainly does not. That “well armed Militia” to which it refers has not a thing to do with my entering my favorite gun shop – and I am a proud, and multiple, gun owner– and purchasing a good condition, used AK-47. New or used, for that matter. With or without a 30-round magazine.

George V. Williams

Hudson, Fla.

Comments (72)

Bizkit
21986
Bizkit 01/18/13 - 09:36 pm

Harley you are a class act my

Harley you are a class act my lady! It's that humanity I was ramblin' about above. Don't really matter if you are Rep or Dem when things go down the crapper and you're all fixin' to die. We are too spoiled as a society-I'm guilty too.We all get caught up in peripherals and keep missin' the point and often don't even stay true to our roots. "Political" and "ideology" have become really bad words. I thought we are suppose to "evolve". hee,hee,hee. Obama did.

Jake
Jake 01/18/13 - 09:37 pm

Foot worship

Now that is funny. I don't care what anyone thinks, myfather, you are quite the comedian.

Bizkit
21986
Bizkit 01/18/13 - 09:40 pm

Happychimmer so true. But

Happychimmer so true. But sometimes you can really figure people out too. I was banned from the forum for deducing the true identity of someone who use to post here, and then exposing it online-a big no, no. Hey I was ticked off-and wasn't that sure I was correct. But turns out I hit an nerve and bam. I just had to be right-it was a learning experience. I corresponded and apologized for acting like an arse. Hey I'm human too-just barely.

happychimer
happychimer 01/18/13 - 09:46 pm

Biskit yes. I can usually

Biskit yes. I can usually figure people out, but not always.

Jake
Jake 01/18/13 - 09:46 pm

Early April

I'll be back in early April for my son's wedding and will do an autograph session at the Cracker Barrel in Evans. Grits are on me.
Your first&second paragraph pretty well sums it up for me.

harley_52
19546
harley_52 01/18/13 - 09:54 pm

"Harley you are a class act my lady!"

Let me assure you that I am not a lady.

Aside from that, I'm sorry to say that I don't quite understand the rest of your 8:36 PM post.

Darby
19223
Darby 01/18/13 - 10:32 pm

"As far as the military being ordered to kill their citizens....

there was also this guy named Adolph Hitler"

While she was at it, Angela might have expanded the list to nice folks like Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Mussolini, Muammar al-Gaddafi, Bashar al-Assad and many, many, many more.

Is it happening here now? No. Has it happened here before? Yes, and in the history of mankind, 1776 was not even a blink of the eye. I'm going to be ready, all the while hoping and praying that it doesn't come to that.

Still, I can easily visualize a scenario where the people are pushed too far, or powerful politicians reach the point where loss of their power is too much to accept. Syria, anyone?

And please don't tell me that it can't happen here. We already have boatloads of "progressives" telling us, and educating our children (using our taxes) that the Constitution is a "living, breathing document" subject to change with contemporary views.

The dead canary in the mineshaft would be any attempt to disarm the general populace. I'm gonna play boy scout and always "Be prepared!"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/18/13 - 10:47 pm

It Will Happen Folks

and my family and I are very much prepared. Do you know why I know it will happen....when so called Americans start calling our American Flag nothing more than a piece of "rag"_ accept, support and authorized it to be Stomp on....is the beginning of what is to come....

fedex227
fedex227 01/18/13 - 10:53 pm

Aw heck.

You guys win. Tomorrow is gun appreciation day - go out there and have some fun ...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/18/13 - 11:28 pm

Thanks

for the 2 downs and 2 back at you. Good Night and sweet liberal dreams.

Darby
19223
Darby 01/19/13 - 12:24 am

"Aw heck.

....You guys win."

Not so much interested in winning as in not losing.

Darby
19223
Darby 01/19/13 - 12:39 am

"Those of us who have been in a combat environment know......

what it is like and I don't see too many people wanting to embrace that experience."

Jake, I'm one who made a 27 year career of "being in a combat environment" and while I'd rather be just about anywhere else, I relish the very thought of being able to defend this country against a domestic threat, if it should come to that.

fedex227
fedex227 01/19/13 - 01:01 am

No subject.

- I relish the very thought of being able to defend this country against a domestic threat.

- How long do you think the US military and Guard will obey unlawful orders to kill their families?

- See, if more people owned assault rifles then maybe there would be less suicides.

- There are only approximately 2.4 million members of the military ... half wouldn't fight for the leftist agenda.

- Seeing that there are more military bases in the SOUTH ... we might have more of that firepower.

- It will happen folks and my family and I are very much prepared.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/19/13 - 07:37 am

So Well Said

I Too "I'm one who made a 20 year career of "being in a combat environment" and while I'd rather be just about anywhere else, I relish the very thought of being able to defend this country against a domestic threat, if it should come to that.

"Fighting to restore freedom and preserve the Constitution would sure beat the hell out of fighting for politicians."

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/19/13 - 07:39 am

I Can't Believe It!

fedex has posted some facts.....the sky is falling!

Darby
19223
Darby 01/19/13 - 03:42 pm

"fedex has posted some facts.....

the sky is falling!"

CG - I could be wrong but I think that what fedex was doing was in fact, a failed attempt at condescending humor. He was quoting others. If he had attributed the quotes or use quotation marks his post might have made sense.

Now that I think about it, I'm not wrong.

Jake
Jake 01/20/13 - 01:29 am

No, you were wrong.

anniedillardlover
anniedillardlover 01/20/13 - 08:30 am

Thank you, for a sensible post amid the hysteria. It's scary how much we can't see the forest through the trees.

Also, fact, statistic, etc. that many people simply choose to ignore: all countries in Europe are not the same. Some do allow firearm ownership, but with much greater regulation that the US. Yes. It's true. Some countries in Europe do indeed allow firearms. They each have their own rules. It's not some huge communist state. And even those have less crime than we do, significantly less. Hundreds of thousands of deaths a year less.

You can't compare apples to oranges: those countries have *national* laws. We need some national regulations for anything to be effective. Having 50 different rules in 50 different states at varying levels of restriction, of course, contributes to the chaos and hysteria also.

And it is of course stupid to assume that there will be *no* gun crime if there are more regulations. I don't think anyone has said that. That's ridiculous. Of course there will be crime. But that doesn't mean that some regulations, like other countries in the Western world, won't stop a significant amount of the crime.

Bruno
Bruno 01/21/13 - 01:29 pm

Stopped reading when the

Stopped reading when the author asked a 9 year old for interpretation on settled law.