Tell other side of gun issue

It is a pity that my hometown newspaper elects to publish letters in this column of late that represent only one side of this now sensitive issue: those singularly opposed to any kind of added or strengthened regulations or controls. In direct contrast to a goodly number of those I have read here, increased and far stronger regulations that control legal access and ownership of weapons does reduce significantly the number of deaths by gunfire, as well as gun-related injury, in those other members of the civilized Western world – and consistently so. We have but to familiarize ourselves with the pertinent statistics. They are easily available.

The oft-quoted Second Amendment rights beg another comment. I asked my 9-year-old great-grandson to read that misquoted amendment aloud, after posing the following question: Does this amendment guarantee to private citizens the right to freely purchase and own firearms? His answer, as is my own: It most certainly does not. That “well armed Militia” to which it refers has not a thing to do with my entering my favorite gun shop – and I am a proud, and multiple, gun owner– and purchasing a good condition, used AK-47. New or used, for that matter. With or without a 30-round magazine.

George V. Williams

Hudson, Fla.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/18/13 - 03:44 pm
I agree Harley. What is so

I agree Harley. What is so bizarre is progressives always talk about evolution and science and that conservatives are ignorant of both. Yet the whole basis of biology is evolution and life is a continuum. Life begats life-once egg and sperm fuse you have a new human by definition (just an undeveloped one but that will also be true at birth too). This is legally true too because look at all the lawsuits regarding in vitro conceptuses-where the blastocysts are legally treated as persons. Doctors have a legal right to administer abortions and women have a legal right to privacy but I agree it is inferred. I note too the silence about the cities like DC and Chicago that have tried stricter gun laws only with in more violence. I don't think banning assault rifles will inhibit the great preponderance of suicides committed with guns nor are most homicides committed with assault rifles. Ignorance begets ignorance too I guess.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/18/13 - 04:01 pm

myfather, carcraft, Jane, Angela, nofan, dich, LL, Darby, harley and Bizkit for expanding my one liner feelings. You all have done a fantastic job using facts, common sense and American Loyalty.

Not more can be said except wait for the first "Shot"

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/18/13 - 04:12 pm
His nine year old great

His nine year old great grandson is his authority on the Constitution?

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/18/13 - 04:34 pm
New Sign for your front door

DUE TO THE PRICE INCREASE
ON AMMUNITION...
DO NOT EXPECT A
WARNING SHOT!

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/18/13 - 05:32 pm
If you are on Pres. Obama's

If you are on Pres. Obama's assassination list of American citizens he plans to kill without due process-AGAIN, then he may not want you to have an assault weapon. Jeez. Well maybe you can pick up one of those Fastn'Furious assault rifles off the black market. If that don't work build your own arsenal of armed drones-fight fire with fire. Go high tech like Mission Impossible or A team. Actually you could easily do it come think of it, but I'd load it with spears just to make a point you don't need bullets or bombs to do the job. Hee,hee,hee How punny. Make a point. I slay myself-but not with an assault rife-I can't reach the trigger and shoot myself at the same time. See if more people owned assault rifles then maybe there would be less suicides. After all more people use guns to kill themselves than to commit homicides. Gosh I'm startin' to think like a progressive. Terrifyin'.

carcraft
carcraft 01/18/13 - 05:56 pm
It is interesting that not

It is interesting that not one liberal, or the letter writer has presented ONE set of Data to support Obama. Not one liberal has explained where Obama gets the authority to ban anything not related to a specific law. This is an unconstitutional power grab.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/18/13 - 06:10 pm
I am hoping it will create a

I am hoping it will create a constitutional crisis so the SCOTUS can nip this kinda of antics in the bud. Obama seems hell bent to usurp the order of govt and the constitution from his rhetoric of late. I note he has kept his campaign organization together to demogogue his agenda and mold public opinion. Those community organizing skills are great but he sho can't run a country.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/18/13 - 06:27 pm
Great video KSL. Thanks, Your

Great video KSL. Thanks, You rock. Makes the point very eloquently.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/18/13 - 06:56 pm
Maybe we need to go the

Maybe we need to go the Galapagos Islands and do a social science experiment. We will take three islands. One with 200K people and all have guns. One with 200K and none have guns. Then one island where 200K and only some will have guns-as reflected in present society (wonder what percent of Americans own guns?Anybody? Be nice to mimic that percent). After ten years we examine the data. Only guns will be controlled so whatever people do is OK except for the "gun" issue. Should prove interesting. My prediction would be no difference in suicide, homicide, or crime in any of the situations. Because guns aren't the freakin' issue.

harley_52
harley_52 01/18/13 - 07:04 pm
"I am hoping it will create a constitutional....

....crisis so the SCOTUS can nip this kinda of antics in the bud. "

He'll be appointing two or three new Supreme Court Justices which will skew the Court far left by the time any cases filed now worked their way through the system.

His election in the last election insured a far left Court for the next three or four decades.

Jake
Jake 01/18/13 - 07:42 pm
Power grab

I think Obama is showboating and if he is outside of his executive power then we do have a Supreme Court to slap his hand.

I also think those that believe there will be some sort of militia confrontation (and actually be successful) against active duty personnel and that the military is just not going to do anything are living in a fantasy and don't realize how things are done in the real world.
First, our military is better organized and equipped than any rag-tag militia. Second, if there is to be an effective militia then they would have to be well organized and nationwide but the US has intelligence sources to put a kabosh to that. Third, this notion that armed forces are going to be confronted by their families and that they would just lay down their arms and go have a pizza is comical at best. Fourth, there are many in this country that would be in favor of the government and would view the militia as extremist and would want them wiped out.

Many of you are delusional if you think that armed confrontation is going to happen, much less succeed. Your way of life would be altered and I know for a fact that when confronted with the choice of having to walk a few miles to fight (because maybe your gas pumps would be dry) or staying home and watching TV then we would see who the true "patriots" are. Now if you want to hunker down in your bunkers and wait for the fight to come to you then be prepared for either artillery or air strikes, of which you have no defense for.

Many of us in America do not have a weapon, for various reasons, and we like it that way. Of those that do, don't think they will all join in the madness of a revolution. What a joke.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 01/18/13 - 08:02 pm
I find the discussion of our

I find the discussion of our military confronting U.S. civilians interesting.It brings up two instances in my mind, the first being the the shooting of four unarmed students by the National Guard at Kent State. Then there was the time citizens desired to free themselves from the control of the Federal government and set out to seperate from Washington.
The United States Army and Navy had no problem with open warfare against the population. Under the orders of Lincoln (and his Assad-like attitude ) they systematically shelled the populace in their homes,starved women and children and laid waste to their farms schools and churches. Never say it cant happen here, it already has. The merit of that action doesnt detract from the means.

harley_52
harley_52 01/18/13 - 08:03 pm
"What a joke."

I think you're one of the very few who think it's funny.

You are, of course, entitled to that view.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/18/13 - 08:35 pm
Jake, Jake, Jake!

I think you are dead wrong on this one...had to give you a downer, sorry.

Jake
Jake 01/18/13 - 08:35 pm
Joke

I know many who think it is a joke because they can discern reality from fantasy. Kind of the like the movie "Duck Soup" which was funny indeed.

And, of course, you are entitled to your view as well and can post it here for a minimum of $9.95 per month.

harley_52
harley_52 01/18/13 - 08:51 pm
"And, of course, you are entitled to your view as well....

....and can post it here for a minimum of $9.95 per month."

Yes, I know, Jake.

Tell you what, when I do post my views I'll try not to mock your views or insult you.

I won't say things like.....

you are "living in a fantasy and don't realize how things are done in the real world."

Or, that you are "delusional," or that I (and those who share my views) would want you and your fellow travelers "wiped out."

Frankly, I think my views and actions are well within the rights established in the Constitution and repeatedly affirmed by the Supreme Court. I am aware of the historical consequences of societies being disarmed by dictatorial governments and I assure you I'll do whatever is in my power to keep that from happening here.

Jake
Jake 01/18/13 - 08:51 pm
Downer

I don't mind a downer, CG, I get quite a few. Given the political climate of the CSRA, I would expect it.
Those of us who have been in a combat environment know what it is like and I don't see too many people wanting to embrace that experience.

myfather15
myfather15 01/18/13 - 09:05 pm
@Jake&others

You would be very surprised as just how many would support the insurrection, in the case of the government attempting to grab more control and confiscate firearms. There are approximately 180-200 million gun owners in this Country and MANY of those are very passionate on this issue. There are only approximately 2.4 million members of the military and approximately half wouldn't fight for the leftist agenda.

Your assumption is that the President would have the full force of the military to stop this rebellion but he wouldn't. I was in the Marines in the 90's under Clinton and if he would have tried to use me to confiscate guns, I would have WALKED OFF the job. I'm still friends with MANY active duty military and none of them that I know support this leftist gun grabbing agenda.

I'm also a Deputy Sheriff and have spoke with MANY of my fellow deputies and troopers about whether they would allow themselves to be used to confiscate guns from citizens. I've yet to find a single law enforcement officer say they would be willing to remove guns from citizens. Matter of fact, I know many that own AR-15's and have said THEY won't register or give them up themselves. Good luck with any enforcement of those laws. It would result in WAR, but I don't believe it will get that far.

Jake
Jake 01/18/13 - 09:06 pm
Mocking

My post was not a mock of anything you personally posted but I must admit I don't read everything you post. You are acting defensive, one of your favorite tactics that I have noted.
I do recall being mocked not too long ago, by you, in reference to where I live and it being near the gay enclave of San Francisco and how that somehow reflects upon my sexuality. Big deal.
I am a big boy and so are you (according to your post about probably having to lose weight) and I am sure we both are not that thin skinned to be insulted so easily.

harley_52
harley_52 01/18/13 - 09:09 pm
"Those of us who have been in a combat environment....

....know what it is like and I don't see too many people wanting to embrace that experience."

Lots of people have been in a combat environment and many in actual man to man combat. I can't speak for all of them, but I haven't met many who "embrace that experience." Mostly, they do it because they think it's the right thing to do and for something worth fighting for. Those in the American military (and those in federal political office) take an oath which includes a promise to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL ENEMIES, foreign AND DOMESTIC" (caps are mine).
I think most people take that oath, and the principles embodied in that oath, VERY seriously.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 01/18/13 - 09:12 pm
Second Amendment

To read any of the Constitution you must read and understand the first three words "We the People" and realize this means you and me and everyone. Not just the military, or government, or Officials elected or anointed. The bill of rights applies to all of us. The well established militia clause only explains why this article was written. To keep a non-standing army of citizens ready at all times to defend this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. The right to defense against the people you see on the police blotter page everyday in any newspaper is all the reason we need to have a 2nd amendment.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/18/13 - 09:12 pm
Stay on focus. The issue is

Stay on focus. The issue is some people watched too much Star Trek or somethin' because history reveals a history of violence and horrific crimes for humanity. There has been an evolutionary "arms race" (just like antibiotic resistance or herbicide resistance in weeds) with humanity figurin' out better ways to kill each other. I think we've succeeded well-yeah maybe too well with nukes and such. But the issue isn't guns folks-it's us. We need to change. If you can change through secular humanism then great, or perhaps the great faiths have appeal. In either case, "we" need to change. Yeah I know Star Trek. But with God all things are possible. If you don't believe in it-it ain't a gonna happen.

harley_52
harley_52 01/18/13 - 09:13 pm
Defensive?

Of what, my opinions? I plead guilty.

And I do view your 6:42 post as both mocking and insulting. I'd like to see the discussion remain polite.

I don't recall mocking you about San Francisco, though I can't dismiss the possibility. Can you be specific about what I said? If it was really mocking or insulting, I'll apologize.

Jake
Jake 01/18/13 - 09:17 pm
myfather&others

Thanks for your opinion, really. When people start getting killed in masses because they do not have the massive firepower of the government controlled troops then we would see which way it would go. Confiscation of all weapons and the control of weapons are not the same.

Jake
Jake 01/18/13 - 09:22 pm
Combat

myfather (which you are not) you don't know anything about me on a personal level and I don't know anything about you, which I don't care to. You can call my posts BS just like I can call your post BS. Happy?

myfather15
myfather15 01/18/13 - 09:31 pm
You actually just proved you

You actually just proved you know nothing about the military and "government controlled" troops. It must be your leftist vision that everyone MUST do as they are told. Here is a revelation, We Free People don't do as we are told when our Constitutional Rights are being taken away. Neither will the military leaders. So all this "Massive Firepower" you're talking about, would be on both sides after the military was split. Also, seeing that there are more military bases in the SOUTH than any other region, we might have more of that firepower. Elgin Air Force base in Florida is the largest AF base in the United States. Just because you worship before the feet of King Obama, doesn't mean WE DO when he is attempting to take our rights away. He will keep kicking this sleeping dog, and it will bite!!

Jake
Jake 01/18/13 - 09:28 pm
harley

I would have to go back which I don't really care to do as it is not such a big deal.
My post at 6:42 was not directed at a single person though carcraft used the word "power grab" in one of his posts. I am just stating my opinion like everyone else does.

Jake
Jake 01/18/13 - 09:32 pm
Eglin AFB

Elgin was a watch, I believe, Eglin is the AFB. I should know, I was stationed at their auxiliary base at Hurlburt Air Field when I came back from Vietnam in 1970.

happychimer
happychimer 01/18/13 - 09:33 pm
It really amazes me how some

It really amazes me how some posters think they can read minds and know every little detail about someone they know nothing about.