God spurs many questions

I am not a religious person. However, I am by no means an atheist. I rarely go to church, and when I do, I end up being bored.

That being said, I do believe in God. He proves Himself to me constantly. I do not understand who or what God is. I just believe there is an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving ruler of the universe.

I know the Bible says that the only way to get to heaven is to believe that Jesus was the son of God, died for our sins and was resurrected.

This is where I run into trouble.

I trust God. I do not trust man when it comes to telling me who and what Jesus was. Not all men who wrote the Bible knew Jesus personally. Because of human nature, man has a way of distorting facts and exaggerating claims. It’s hard-wired into our DNA.

Jesus was supposedly the ultimate sacrifice. Once he gave up his life, sins were now able to be forgiven. Before his sacrifice, we used animal blood to appease God so our sins could be forgiven.

I find this a rather bizarre custom. As an animal lover, I can’t imagine killing an animal for no other reason than to please God and wash away my sins. I also can’t picture God forgiving sins just because we slit a lamb’s throat and let its blood trickle down an altar.

Does killing an animal for no other reason than to please God make sense?

One line in the Bible refers to burnt offerings: “The smell was pleasing to God.” Does this mean God is a meat-eater? I’m not trying to be funny. I just don’t understand.

Another thing is that people who grow up Christian know that their religion is the true one. Is it because this is what they have been taught since childhood?

The same could be said about Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists. If a Muslim or Hindu has been taught since childhood that his religion is the true one, I feel safe to say they feel the same way about their faith as Christians feel about theirs. I’m not talking about fanatics – just everyday Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists.

One thing I am adamant about is never questioning someone’s faith. What someone believes is very powerful and private, and I have no right to question any part of his faith.

There either is a God or there is not. I choose to believe there is. Life for me would have no meaning without my belief in a Supreme being. My philosophy is simple. There is a God. I don’t need to understand Him. I just need to love Him and my neighbor as myself.

John Glover

Augusta

carcraft
carcraft 01/18/13 - 07:02 am
God himself says that he

God himself says that he doesn't really get off on animal sacrifices; he does like sacrifices of the heart, if you read the Bible. Just as perfect justice requires perfect penalties we are told the penalty for sin is death. I have experienced God's Amazing grace, tasted and found that it is good, come join and ask Jesus to be your savior and ruler of your heart.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/13 - 07:41 am
"Does killing an animal for

"Does killing an animal for no other reason than to please God make sense?"

In today's world, no it doesn't, but in biblical days it most certainly did. Animals were not pets, they were a source of food and redemption.

"I trust God. I do not trust man when it comes to telling me who and what Jesus was. Not all men who wrote the Bible knew Jesus personally. "

If you do not trust His Word, then how do you know who God is? How do you know the characteristics of His Son? How do you know God is a loving God? No, not all men who wrote the Bible knew Jesus but they did know Him personally because in every one of them, He lived inside them. They had a personal relationship with Him and just like you have never pesonally SEEN George Washington I would assume that you could write an article or paper on Washington's characteristics, the things he did, and the accomplishments he achieved.

Isn't it wonderful that we can go one step further and not only know God's character, what He accomplished through His life, but also to know we can PERSONALLY have a relationship with the Almighty because His Word says in Proverbs 8:17 "I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me."

If you have issue with the authenicity of the Bible, may I suggest you check out a website http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t003.html

myfather15
myfather15 01/18/13 - 07:50 am
Yes, I was born and raised in

Yes, I was born and raised in the Christian Church and of course that formed my opinions about God as an adult. You are correct in that aspect. But I've broken from many "Traditions of men" such as the rapture, Eve eat an apple, the races come from an incestrial affair and many more. You MUST get in touch with God on a personal level, not through the Churches.

One reason you are probably bored in Church is because you get the same basic lessons each week; faith, love and obedience. Even Paul taught that once you have the basic principals of Christ, which those are, then it's time to move on to a more mature understanding of God's Word. You must start teaching the MEAT of God's word and not remain in the Milk. Milks is for babes, but meat is for those of strong maturity.

But my faith IS not solely based on what I was taught as a child. As I stated, I've broken from many of those beliefs. But my faith and belief has been increased by seeing prophecy being fulfilled EVERY DAY. There are many prophecies that haven't came about yet, but there are SO MANY that have. It's awesome to watch it happen on a daily basis. It's strengthens our faith to see it happen. Which is what Christ taught us to be, WATCHMEN. Watching and seeing prophecy coming true almost daily is beyond words.

I don't know the Koran, or if there are prophecies within it that are coming true. But I DO KNOW the Bible and they are coming true daily. It's FAR more in depth than you imagine, it's just too long to post on here. Our Father has told us EVERYTHING, it's in the Book!!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/18/13 - 07:51 am
icl

thanks!

myfather15
myfather15 01/18/13 - 08:56 am
Have you ever imagined that

Have you ever imagined that when God was creating the human race, that He didn't desire for every one to be exactly the same? He didn't want a bunch of robots, walking around saying and doing the exact same things as the others? When he created the human race, He created a superior intelligent life form than the animals. He created us and gave us free will and free thinking minds, just as he has. He gave each one of us the exact same emotions He possesses Himself.

Therefore He created many different races and cultures and that He doesn't expect EVERY race and culture to love and worship Him the exact same? He created different cultures, not being superior to one another but simply different. When they love Him in their way, I don't believe He accepts in any different than any other. But through the generations, MANKIND has conveluted God's Word through THEIR traditions. He doesn't expect us all to act exactly the same, or He would have created us ALL the same. But He did create us different and then looked upon it and said it was good. But each must accept Christ as their savior and EVERY ethnic group has a large group which has did so. There are millions of Christians in every ethnicity. We must also OBEY His word and live the best we can in accordance with His teachings. We all fall short, thats a fact. But He has told us we will and through forgiveness and striving to live a righteous life, we will be just fine. But we must STAND strong for our Father. This He expects us to do!! "Having done all to STAND."

Jane18
Jane18 01/18/13 - 09:19 am
Mr. Glover's Letter

Oh, Mr. Glover, you do need to understand GOD, maybe not everything, because no one understands everything. But, when you start learning and understanding a little, you get fired up and want to know more! If more teachers of The Word knew what they were talking about, their churches would overflow. If you do not trust man, any man, to teach you, start learning on your own. Some of us use Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of The Bible(King James Version), it tells the TRUE meanings of the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic words in the Bible. I promise, you will learn and have a better understanding! To my brother, myfather15, get ready, you are going to be questioned and put down for what some of the commenters like to call "crazy talk". Just remember, our Saviour was ridiculed, and even worse, put to death because of The Truth......................

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/13 - 10:05 am
Shrimp, hope you have a

Shrimp, hope you have a wonderful day! :)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/18/13 - 10:25 am
You Too ICL

Love ya Darlin"

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 01/18/13 - 10:32 am
The Bible says " Only one Way to God"

The writer has a common misconception with regards to animal sacrifice. When God instituted this practice it was to show the seriousness of sin that results in death. The wages of sin is death and sin was a permanent obstacle that separated us from God. The recurring practice of animal sacrifice was intended as a daily reminder of our sin. This system laid the grown work for the coming" perfect" sinless sacrifice for sin, God's own Son.

As for the Bible not being accurate. The Bible is the Word of God and not the Word of man. It is inspired by God and written down by the hand of man. God speaks to us through His written Word. If you question this fact, you may as well throw the whole book out. You can trust the Bible.

As for other religions, one need to research this on his own. All of the other religions are " man trying to work his way to god" a system of rule and regulations necessary to please god while Christianity is God coming to man, through simple Faith. Our faith is credited to us as righteousness, for it is impossible to please God without Faith. Christianity is not based on works.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/18/13 - 10:35 am
Why is we fight over religion?

If someone's belief system differs slightly from anothers all hell breaks loose with one party trying to convince the other thet are right. NO one wins and there's nothing left but bad fellings. I am really impressed by people who seem to grasp on God's word. It all make sense to them. maybe it was groeing up Catholic that left a sour taste in my mouth but I know God exists and I make notmake it to heaven nut I've tried to be a good person here on earth. I've failed miserably but I keep trrying.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/18/13 - 10:39 am
Rnsheff

You might get a different opinion ftom abuddist or hindu.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/18/13 - 10:47 am
Say a Muslim a Buddist and a Christian were having a drink

As a Christian what would you tell the muslim and Buddist to convince them thar Christianity was the only true religion?

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/13 - 11:03 am
Shrimp, the issue most have

Shrimp, the issue most have problems with is that in our mind we feel since we are a good person, love others, help others, then somehow that should be good enough to get to heaven. Scripture says

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 it is not of works, so that no one can boast.

It is wonderful to strive to be a good person but sadly this will not get you to heaven. We can never enter heaven's gates based on our goodness because we can never be good enough. That is why His son died for our sins and it is only by being washed by His blood that cleanses us.

Just a reminder that the offer I gave you a year or so ago, still stands. I pray you and your family will take me up on this offer one Sunday :)

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/13 - 11:07 am
Shrimp, I know your question

Shrimp, I know your question was to RMSheff but I believe (and other's may not agree) that we are simply suppose to present the gospel and let God do the rest. We as humans can not convince anyone that Christianity is true, they have to hear the Word, be convicted by the Holy Spirit, and accept God.......understanding of scripture and coming to the point where you believe God's Word for what it is, comes with maturity and studying of the Word. You will never convince someone in general conversation.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/18/13 - 11:55 am
Perfection

I'm glad Mr. Glover perfectly loves God, perfectly loves his neighbor, and perfectly loves himself. As for myself, I'm not so perfect. I need a redeemer. Fortunately, I have found Him and believe in Him.

grouse
grouse 01/18/13 - 11:59 am
NONE of the men who wrote the

NONE of the men who wrote the Bible knew Jesus personally.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/13 - 12:05 pm
LL, I believe Mr. Glover's

LL, I believe Mr. Glover's intent was not to indicate that he loves God, his neighbor, or himself perfectly. He is just like so many others who have not come to the understanding that it is not WHAT we do but WHO God IS that saves us. We are all in need of a Redeemer, some have found Him, some just don't realize it yet.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/18/13 - 12:15 pm
lets just say

i'M CONFUSED. i DON''T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT THE bIBLE FOR IT TO MAKE SENSE TO ME. tHE ONE THING THAT i COVET IOS YOU GUYS ABILIITY TO UNDERSTAND gOD.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/13 - 12:37 pm
Shrimp, as elementary as it

Shrimp, as elementary as it is, the only way to understand the Bible is to study it and in order to study it, you need to be in a good Sunday School class where scripture is discussed and we learn together through the leading of the Holy Spirit.

It's much like learning to read....when we first picked up a book we couldn't read the whole thing or understand all of the story but through the guidance of someone wiser and knowledgable we were able to improve each day/month/year.

I've been a child of my heavenly Father over 40 years now and there are still things in His Word that confuse me or things I didn't know were in the Bible. It is a growing process but you can't grow unless you are exposed to the watering and sunshine. :)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/18/13 - 01:40 pm
!CL

I need to come to your church Sunday!

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/13 - 04:23 pm
Shrimp, won't be there this

Shrimp, won't be there this week....taking some R&R for a few days but I'll be in touch with you when I get back. Course that doesn't mean you can go and visit if I'm not there. They're a bunch of friendly folk. I still have your email and we will get together soon. Still loved to meet your family. :)

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/13 - 04:45 pm
I don't know why or who is

I don't know why or who is giving thumbs down but seriously, if you find the discussion of God and the Bible so distasteful, please find another thread to read and may God have mercey on your soul.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/18/13 - 05:50 pm
I really am not concerned if

I really am not concerned if heaven is real or God-I don't see it as a point of concern. I believe in it totally. But I would say the same about evolution. I am not concered if it is real. I totally believe in it. I have to make choices so when I do I go all out and move forward that my decision is the correct one. Even if someone falsified God or Evolution-I doubt it would immediately change my opinion and I would have to see more evidence to change my mind. Mainly because I wasn't much of a human being till I found God. And my belief in God gives me Hope, and Hope gives me love and peace. Without Hope I was one mean SOB with hate and war. I made it my compass in life and so far it is workin' a whole lot better than the secular humanist one I had for over several decades. I was mean and depressed, selfish, and not a caring person at all. Man I was born again and I'm alive.Before I was dead-dead to sin and I didn't know it. I actually thought I was a righteous dude-yikes was I wrong. Peace and Love Dudes and Dudettes. But I think Mr. Glover is the on the right track-much like I was after I experienced God (never entertained before). Seek and ye shall find. I suggest prayin' to the Holy Spirit for wisdom and discernment to understand the Bible because without it you ain't gettin' too far.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/18/13 - 06:01 pm
ICL don't worry. My bet is

ICL don't worry. My bet is some folks are on Jacob's ladder fightin' with God. Man I did it for about 2-3 years before I relinquished. I remember sittin' in church listenin' to the pastor thinkin' "well I can accept that but this other sounds like crap to me" . Man I fought it tooth and nail-"All these christians seem nice enough but dang are they ignorant?". The list goes on. God will change their hearts. If God can change me he can change anybody. I'm a scientist too so I had to fight myself and God. Dang beat the hell outta me. hee,hee,hee. Once I softened up he was able to mold the clay and make somethin' worth a crap out of it-ME.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/18/13 - 06:47 pm
Just one thumbs down?? I'm

Just one thumbs down?? I'm surprised-I expected to arouse both christian and secular with those remarks. I'll try harder.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/18/13 - 09:48 pm
Bizkit

Now that's funny!!!

Mcycleman1
Mcycleman1 01/21/13 - 11:56 am
Animal sacrifices

Your question sir "does this mean God is a meat-eater?"

The central issue here is not food nor in the pleasure of food.
All animal sacrifices in the Old Testament looked forward to the time that God himself through His Son Jesus would pay the ultimate sacrifice.

God was the only one who could pay for the sins of humanity because he was the only one with the necessary credentials. That is this. God required a payment for sin because He hates sin. But no payment was possible for man; he was bankrupt in the world of morals. So God put it upon himself in Jesus who was without any sin! Jesus paid the price of our sin on the cross; if we receive that God it is sufficient in God's eyes.

In the Old Testament, Christ had not yet come. Sacrificing animals had a twofold purpose. 1) It reminded people that their sins had consequences, oftentimes on those who were innocent including the animals. 2) It foreshadowed (looked forward to) the sacrificial Lamb of God on the cross. He too was innocent.

Isaiah says in Chapter 1, verse 11 “The multitude of your sacrifices— what are they to me?” says the LORD. “I have more than enough of burnt offerings, of rams and the fat of fattened animals; I have no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats."

Twas neither the animals nor their blood he desired but both the reminder of sin, its consequences and its forthcoming sole remedy, Jesus the Christ!