Start mourning our nation

I flew the American flag during the November elections, both to honor my country and as a reminder to get out and vote. The morning after the election, when it was apparent that President Obama would remain in office, the flag blowing in a light breeze caught my attention. For the first in my life I was saddened to see that flag, knowing that our nation would continue this path of selfish destruction and would cease to be the greatest nation on Earth, and the “land of the free,” as it was given to us by previous generations.

Because of this, I will tie a black ribbon to the eagle at the top of my flag staff, to hang with the American flag so they will blow in the wind in harmony, signifying my utter condemnation of this man and his destructive policies. I am sure at least half of the American people will feel, as I do, that a pall has fallen over our once-great land. I urge you to do the same if you are truly with us and not against us, heart and soul, on the day of inauguration and all the days following until he is done and gone from our once-prosperous and great nation. Not until he and his socialist ideas have been banished will the pall be lifted or my black ribbon removed.

One final thought: Can you possibly imagine Obama and his family during his youth actually attending a Fourth of July celebration? Showing pride in his country and joy of citizenship? Not likely!

avidreader
avidreader 01/15/13 - 06:06 am
Sad Events!

My wife and I were contemplating the latest round of upcoming taxes, and we both agreed, tighten the family budget once again. The feds continue to take and take and take. Our health insurance has increased drastically and it's depressing to even walk into a grocery store. The feds have looted our nation's Social Security funds. Entitlements continue to rise and our unsustainable national debt is near doomsday proportions.

Mr. Obama will never feel the shame that Ms. Stahl conveys in her letter. Our entire government should hang its collective head in grief.

Last week, I had a brief conversation with an extremely snooty man. He implied that the American public is too stupid to understand the complexities of Mr. Obama's "plan". I'm beginning to wonder if he was correct. We continue to elect career politicians, and look where we're at now.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 01/15/13 - 06:07 am
AMEN!!!

AMEN!!!

chascushman
chascushman 01/15/13 - 07:25 am
The communist in the WH will

The communist in the WH will only be satisfied when he helps bring our country to its knees for all the injustices he believes we did. We will long suffer the results of the last election.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/15/13 - 08:16 am
More like...

"I am sure at least half of the American people will feel, as I do..."

Actually, Sheila, more like 47.3%. Think of yourself as part of the new Noisy Minority!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 01/15/13 - 08:29 am
EEL**if you derived your 47.3

EEL**if you derived your 47.3 percent from the last election you are making a giant leap of faith, considering we had millions who did not vote and a lot of them were conservatives according to the press.. and are you saying we are replacing the old noisy minority??..if so you are wrong again as we represent the taxpayers.. and if you keep insulting us we may withold your allowance ..ie taxes..but otherwise we are working, supporting families and not sitting around waiting for the next EBT card.

Jane18
Jane18 01/15/13 - 08:37 am
Sheila's Truthful Letter

I will also tie a black ribbon on my flag, if only the 47.3% would also. And eel, you can believe it won't be long before some of your 52.7% will wake up and find out they have been HAD! Guess What? Maybe, just maybe, you might be one of those "deceived" ones that come to your "common sense"......... I really hope so!

duffstuff
duffstuff 01/15/13 - 08:49 am
I don't get it?

I don't understand why they aren't doing a better job to work on the debt? There is so much money thats wasted in the budget it blows my mind!!! When will they think its at the tipping point? And more importantly, why not handle it responsibly now? Are people really that stupid? You're gonna end up cutting more later so why not cut less now. The more total debt you accumulate the larger your monthly payments get in the future. Any 5th grader can figure that out!!

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 01/15/13 - 08:51 am
EEL

You must be proud of the majority you are in. You voted for Obama so he could take more from minority and give it to the majority. Even a liberal mind should be able see where this will end.

Techfan
Techfan 01/15/13 - 08:58 am
Woe unto me. The party that I

Woe unto me. The party that I follow has gone off the deep end with far right reactionaries, religious zealots, and has been taken over by people with questionable sanity and keeps losing elctions so I'll moan and whine. We can't have a President who's running center right programs so America is doomed. The looney folks with the tricorn hats with tea bags hanging from them have proven themmselves to be tools of the corporations and plain out kooks so the majority of the country rejects them. We must be a far right theocratic state controlled by the very few billionaires following marching orders from crazy tv and radio talk shows. Face it. Very little has changed. Don't worry, everywhere I go, from Hilton Head, to St Augustine, to the mountains, and all arounf this great country, people are still doing the same things with no loss of freedom. All that's changed is that there has been an epidemic of Obama Derangment Syndrome, which you seem to have a developed a raging case of. The Affordable Care Act should cover it, even if it was a pre-existing condition, with no lifetime cap. Maybe if you're lucky, an old rich white guy will win next time. Of course it could be, heavens forbid, a Hispanic woman, then you'll be forced to fly the Mexican flag.

Techfan
Techfan 01/15/13 - 09:05 am
Hey, you Hill folks got your

Hey, you Hill folks got your guy in as mayor. Be happy with that. He's been such a fine upstanding leader during crises, if you can find him. It's a shame about the baseball stadium though. Alas, it looks like Deke's Folly will never be.

burninater
burninater 01/15/13 - 09:05 am
My mother has been pretty

My mother has been pretty much the same person she's always been, but lately she started doing a couple of things I don't approve of. She made a couple of new rules, and her new boyfriend is SUCH A JERK. So I tied a black ribbon around her picture frame, and said YOU ARE DEAD TO ME and stomped up the stairs. It's all HER. Me and my friends are perfect.

d1zmljqg
d1zmljqg 01/15/13 - 09:10 am
Amen Techfan and just in time

from letting this get so one sided. btw thanks for tossing this in,

"We must be a far right theocratic state controlled by the very few billionaires following marching orders from crazy tv and radio talk shows."

,which just about summarizes Ms. Stahl's punchline.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/15/13 - 09:14 am
"leap of faith"??

Hey NoFa, did you read this yesterday?

"A new Zogby Poll shows President Barack Obama with his highest approval ratings in years."

Happy mourning!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/15/13 - 09:34 am
I sure am glad the noisy

Now if just for one day we could get Techfan to make his point without calling people names, that would be refreshing.........you know...they guy who spews hatred, but says a world with less hatred would be nice. SMH.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/15/13 - 09:39 am
Direct question for Techfan.

Direct question for Techfan. Seriously. Can you make your point without calling people kooks, zealots, crazy, "questionably sane", deranged, or "old rich white guys?"

I mean it would make your point much easier to take seriously if you could refrain from such callow statements.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 01/15/13 - 10:29 am
TECH--so what....if you all

TECH--so what....if you all on the left think we are heading in the right direction..so be it..afterall b/4 WW2 HITLER had a high approval rating..were the german people right?? a poll is a snapshot, you were citing the election results and i merely pointed out for some reason a large part ot our populace chose not to vote..and it included a large group of conservative according to the press. but if you feel good that 56 percent approve of obumler to some degree thats ok...but i stll cant see why there is blind loyality to this man who hasnt done a good thing for this country yet..

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/15/13 - 10:32 am
Don't hold your breath, Angie

Consider who has no problem using a figure of speech like "hold a gun to the head of the American people"--in a statement to the press no less-- one month after the Sandy Hook School massacre.

Leftists, communists, haters of God and people of faith, and other generally soulless imitators of human beings are first and foremost, unrepentant hypocrites.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/15/13 - 11:34 am
"doing the same things with

"doing the same things with no loss of freedom."

Did you stop to ask them if they have had to change the things they buy in the grocery store, change their driving habits, or if their health insurance bill has doubled? Yeh, I thought not Techfan. Each a loss of freedom by strongarm robbery.

Isn't it amazing how many pseudo-intellectual liberals can write an entire paragraph and call so many people derogatory, childish names and not make one true, salient point.

And did you notice that the letter writer never mentioned religion but Techfan managed to work in "religious zealots" and "far right theocratic state", and of course his favorite "tea bags".

I look at the letter writer's words and I look at Techfan's incomprehensible spew of name calling and innuendo and I wonder which party "has been taken over by people with questionable sanity".

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/15/13 - 11:48 am
Hey Humble....

"I sure am glad the noisy minority won the debate to end slavery, give women the right to vote, and grant civil rights to all citizens."

Me too, but please note: these are all LIBERAL minorities, irrespective of party label. I'll bet the AC and conservatives fought them all tooth and nail.

burninater
burninater 01/15/13 - 11:51 am
"... it would make your point

"... it would make your point much easier to take seriously if you could refrain from such callow statements."
------------
This wise advice should extend across the partisan divide.

In the past 100 years, dubbed by many around the world as the "American Century", tax rates have been lower than the current rates less than 10% of the time.

Spending under Obama has been characterized by the American Enterprise Institute thusly:

"So is Mr. Obama’s performance on spending quite bad? Yes. But a difference in kind rather than in degree? Over his four fiscal years as president the average outlays-to-GDP ratio is 24.4 percent. During the Reagan years the average was 22.4 percent. Given the Great Recession, this two percentage point difference, though deceivingly very large, isn’t enough to claim that President Obama represents a radical departure from post-war presidents with respect to spending."

With taxation and spending under this President largely in line with the past few decades of Presidential behavior from either party, repeated assertions of a radically Socialist departure from the American status quo are equally callow statements.

Declarations that our country is dead move beyond callow into the realm of irrational and unfounded petulance.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/15/13 - 11:53 am
" I'll bet the AC and

" I'll bet the AC and conservatives fought them all tooth and nail."

Fought the abolition of slavery? Just how old is the AC?

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/15/13 - 12:10 pm
Burn, are you sure about yours stats?

Total Spending
2015 18177.8 322.366 37.42 g
2016 19261.1 325.010 37.82 g
2017 20368.6 327.676 37.98

burninater
burninater 01/15/13 - 12:14 pm
Fought the abolition of

Fought the abolition of slavery? Just how old is the AC?
-----------
HA, meet Wiki. Wiki, HA.

The AC has existed in various forms since 1785. "Augusta Chronicle" has been part of its name since 1789.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/15/13 - 12:17 pm
Callow? How many Presidents

Callow? How many Presidents said that those who are paying the most aren't paying their fair share? How many Presidents told business owners that they didn't build that? How many Presidents said that it's good to spread the wealth around? Pretty sure that stating these FACTS is not callow, but simply stating that the President is a socialist. How many Presidents admitted that raising taxes on the wealthy won't help, but still wants to do it because it's "fair?" I'm sorry if the facts offend.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/15/13 - 12:18 pm
1789....OK....then how about

1789....OK....then how about you back up your statement that they defended it tooth and nail? Good luck. Easy to make up statements when you know you can't back them up.....isn't it?

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/15/13 - 12:21 pm
Burn

I found your source. I assume you read the entire article. Does it not concern you? Is the "GWB" did it to, make it right? The article states, Obama inherited a debt, sure, but he has put his foot on the axcelerator (sp)...etc. Doesn't that bother you?

burninater
burninater 01/15/13 - 12:20 pm
JTF, my stats came from a

JTF, my stats came from a research fellow at the AEI. Given the AEI's limited gov't, pro-free market ideology, I would be surprised if the stats were manipulated in a pro-Obama direction. Here is a link to the source:

burninater
burninater 01/15/13 - 12:25 pm
Doesn't that bother

Doesn't that bother you?
-------
JTF, read the entire article, and yes it bothers me. But I don't think we will approach rational policy compromises if the current administration is cast histrionically by its opposition as a radical Socialist departure from the status quo, determined to destroy our apparently fatally wounded country. It is a complete avoidance of the recognition that reaching this fiscal situation has been a bipartisan process. We are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past if one party in a two-party negotiation is in complete denial of its own role in the problem.

burninater
burninater 01/15/13 - 12:27 pm
1789....OK....then how about

-------
My statement, HA? Please, become a more careful reader.

Darby
Darby 01/15/13 - 12:30 pm
"Actually, Sheila, more like 47.3%. Think of yourself....

....as part of the new Noisy Minority!"

And effete elitist liberal, if you're honest you could do yourself and all of us a favor by thinking of yourself as part of the slovenly, parasitic majority.

At least until America regains it sense of pride and dignity....

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.