Gun column hits, misses

Chronicle columnist Ed Conant (“Politicians and the NRA,” Jan. 6) said he doesn’t “worry about anyone taking away” his guns. This is because the Supreme Court reaffirmed gun owners’ rights. By one vote. Sorry, but a 5-4 decision is not much wiggle room! I’m not a National Rifle Association member, but the NRA is right when it states that our gun rights are not set in stone.

As for large-capacity magazines “not used for hunting,” I fail to see his point. Scientific studies and real-world, after-the-fact investigations reveal that when a violent encounter occurs, accuracy suffers. Adrenaline, moving targets, multiple targets, etc., would explain this. All the shooting practice in the world cannot take away the need for more rounds, and quickly, when needed.

Even the term “used for hunting” is apples and oranges. Animals don’t shoot back. If a raccoon gets into my home, I’m guessing it isn’t intent on bodily harm. Technically, nobody needs a gun to hunt – we have bows and arrows, for example.

I do agree with Mr. Conant’s views on reducing gun violence by using a multifaceted approach.

Robert Boland

Grovetown

(The writer is a retired U.S. Army staff sergeant.)

InquiringLynn-SkepticGriggsy
InquiringLynn-SkepticGriggsy 01/12/13 - 04:54 am
Rational reasons

No! You are unwittingly asking for even more deaths! Ask law enforcement! They have enough already with which to contend.
Why do people favor such twaddle when reason demands realistic solutions?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/12/13 - 08:54 am
Assault weapons

I see no reason for an american citizen to own one of these guns. They should be reserved for the armed forces and police officers.
Just what does a citizen need one for? You don't need it to hunt. And if you have one to shoot at targets then you are one boring person.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/12/13 - 09:54 am
We live in a society that must divert

responsibility from the guilty. You always hear, the criminals have more rights that the victims. Drugs kill, alcohol kills, cars kill, guns kill, poverty breeds thieves, right. Society is a fault. Humans are innocent victims of society. Society must be reformed. Anything but evil people must be blamed. For then we would have to do something about evil people. And there are more of them than good people. Chaos and anarchy are designed measures to destroy the American way of life. Make the justice system look stupid and incapable of dealing with evil acts. By design. Its not the guns. It is the free society.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 01/12/13 - 09:58 am
...so why do police officers need them?

Because surely...bad guys don't have them...right? See the story about the lady in Atlanta who shot a home invader five times in the face with her little semi? Looks like she needed more. LOL

Question for you peaceniks out there...if bad guys think a homeowner/citizen is armed...is he more or less likely to target said individual?

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/12/13 - 10:15 am
Sadly most who hold disdain

Sadly most who hold disdain against guns are ignorant of them. There are many who own guns as a hobby-the hobby of shooting or owning guns they never shoot for display, then hunters. I dare say most who own guns do so for hunting or hobby and not protection-we do have police and a standing army. I don't understand a country that willi make citizens of illegal immigrant felons and then turn innocent law abiding citizens into criminals because they "own' a gun. First Obama demonizes the rich now guns-get the strategy. If we are going this path of less freedom then we should unite against gay marriage too. Why should one group be discriminated for and one against. Why not attack sports because our youth die or are injured in sports too-ban football, baseball (in the chest will stop your heart). These are all deadly weapons as any gun. I wish people would use logic rather than emotion as what they plan to do does nothin'.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/12/13 - 10:20 am
Of course this could hurt an

Of course this could hurt an economy and put a lot of middle class people out of work by hurting an industry-weapons and hunting. Right now sales are soaring because of demand and worry about supply, that will trickle. So govts solution to our problems is taking our money or taking our freedom. Our government is defective-we all agree Congress is and a little less than half don't support the prez either.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/12/13 - 10:38 am
You people and your guns

You folks are so scared that someone is gojng to shoot you that you'll go to any length to have more firepower than a US serviceman.
God I'm glad I'm not that paranoid.
I'm not talking about guns for hunting. 30.06, shotguns and the like. If you think you need an big bad weapon I believe your trying to compensate for your small weapon.

Bulldog1
Bulldog1 01/12/13 - 10:52 am
Fails to see the point

Mr. Boland does indeed fail to see the point! The Second Amendment does not exist to insure that we can continue to hunt or shoot at targets. The Second Amendment exists to insure that the general population has the ability to fight our county's enemies, both foreign and domestic. The right to defend one’s self against home invaders wearing hoodies or uniforms does not flow from any government; it is one of the inalienable rights of any human being. This concept seemingly eludes far too many.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/12/13 - 11:17 am
shrimp.......c'mon now. "more

shrimp.......c'mon now. "more firepower than a US serviceman".

You know that is a totally false and bloviated statement. Virtually all rifles issued to service members will fire fully automatic bursts and virutally ALL weapons purchased by citizens require you pull the trigger for each shot. There is a huge difference between automatic weapons and semi-automatic weapons. You CANNOT buy a weapon that has "more firepower than a US serviceman" and to buy one that is EQUAL to a REAL MILITARY capability you have to be a rich collector who is able to pass a stringent FBI background investigation and pay hundreds of dollars in permit fees and comply with STRICT record keeping and transfer record requirments. Stop lying, or being ignorant, about these FACTS.

I readily admit that I do not buy weapons or 30 round magazines to hunt. I have that type of weapon to repel the bad guys, whether they be rioters, terrorists, gangs, burglars, and yes, an oppressive, out of control government.

If you review the stories from the Los Angeles riots you will see stories about the Korean merchants who took to the roofs of their businesses with "assault" styled weapons. Nobody TOUCHED their businesses while businesses around them were trashed, robbed, and burned to the ground. They didn't have to kill anybody. Just being seen was enough.

THAT is why law abiding American citizens MUST have the right to own self defense weapons capable of firing multiple times without reloading. When a rioting crowd who are robbing, raping, looting, murdering, and burning is coming down the street toward you nothing says GO AWAY like dropping 10 or 20 of them in their tracks...or sometimes just showing that you have the capability of doing so.

I will not be disarmed just because some nutcase who should have been locked up years ago does something terrible with a weapon. Believe me, I fear the public and what it is capable of doing during times of unrest MUCH more that you have the need to fear me. I will never bother you unless you intend to do me, or mine, harm. And I have the RIGHT to be prepared for that day.

You figure out a way to control the nutcases who roam our streets with impunity and leave me alone. I assure you, I would be the first guy you would want for a next door neighbor when the riots break out or if I spotted a "hoody" breaking into your house late at night.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/12/13 - 11:28 am
If we were to make gun

If we were to make gun ownership dependent on a psychological analysis I wager the majority of law enforcement would be forbidden from owning a gun.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/12/13 - 12:43 pm
Unalienable

Bulldog at 9:52 has it correctly.

Darby
Darby 01/12/13 - 02:55 pm
"God I'm glad I'm not that paranoid.".....

.....You aren't paranoid simply because you complacently refuse to recognize the threat.

On the other hand, as long as enough of us out here do see what's going on, maybe you don't really need to concern yourself with little things like defense against tyranny.

A wise man once said, "It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you."

KSL
KSL 01/12/13 - 02:01 pm
100 thumbs up

to Darby

allhans
allhans 01/12/13 - 03:08 pm
Amen!

Amen!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/12/13 - 03:23 pm
Actually

I have never owned a gun and don't plan on ever owning one. I'm not scared of the bad guys. If someone pulls a gun on me the training I have would require the gunman to shoot me immediately or I will take it away from him. There is no way in the world that I will ever be afraid of any man. That's how I roll. the bad guy better be afraid of me though.
He better be very,very afraid!

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 01/12/13 - 07:26 pm
Yes, to Darby and Austin!

Yes, to Darby and Austin!

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 01/12/13 - 07:29 pm
Oops and Bulldog.

Oops and Bulldog.

Darby
Darby 01/12/13 - 10:41 pm
"If someone pulls a gun on me the training....

..... I have would require the gunman to shoot me immediately or I will take it away from him."

Sounds more like "Wheaties for Breakfast". Someone pulls gun on you from five or six feet away, (About the average distance and you will cross that distance and take it away before he can fire.)

Wish I'd known that technique when I was instructing Army Rangers at Benning and Eglin AFB, it might have saved a few lives. Maybe you could hold classes for some of us who are less enlightened.

On the other hand, your little anecdote reminded me immediately of the guy with the sword who threatened Indiana Jones in the Temple of Doom movie. Only in your case, the other guy is cast in the role of Jones, you not so much...

Gage Creed