Atheists just don't get it

A recent letter claims prayer does not work.

Like so many of his atheist friends, the writer makes the mistake of thinking prayer does not work because someone did not gain what they prayed for. But God Himself tells us not all prayers will be answered, at least not with a “yes.” If the intentions of the praying person are selfish or for wrong reasons, such as promoting a political agenda, then God will say “no!”

Unfortunately, atheists are a completely selfish, hate-filled people. I say hate-filled because they are unhappy, hopeless people who are filled with a jealous rage toward those who have the hope of our faith to see us through this life, while they have made a conscious decision to deny themselves this hope, by rejecting God.

Have you ever heard of any charity founded by atheists? No you have not, because they do not exist, as atheists are totally self-centered and cannot find it in themselves to be helpful to their fellow humans.

It is man’s nature to mock and deride that which he cannot understand. As for the common mistake the writer repeats in his letter, true believers are not ignorant about science. Why must people on both sides of this argument continue to insist that you must be all religion and no science, or all science and no religion?

I myself, as do all I know, embrace science as the study of God; every discovery just reinforces the knowledge that God made all. I took four years of biology in college, and I believe science proves God exists much more than it proves He does not. Do not forget, it was Christian scientists who laid the foundations for much of science that exists today. In fact, if not for the church, man would probably have suffered in the dark ignorance that was the Dark Ages for a lot longer than happened. But the scoffers have existed all through history, and will continue to mock, deride and reject the knowledge they cannot possess. Unlike them, a true Christian will feel sorrow and pity, not hate and rage, for those who deny Him, and will pray that maybe, before it is too late, they will come to know God.

fedex227
fedex227 01/08/13 - 07:53 am
In other words ...

'jeez, I HATE atheists!' ... oops.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/08/13 - 08:01 am
This letter is total rubbish

I have known many atheists in my life and every single one was a very nice person. None were hate-filled people filled with a jealous rage. In fact just the opposite.
My phisics teacher in college was an atheist who made sure all his students understood what he was teaching. If they didn't he would send extra time with them going over equations and just treating everyone like they were his best friend.
I used to play music in coffeehouses when I was in college and I could always look out and see this professor sitting there drinking coffee and listening to me play
That's just one example.
The letter writer says that atheists are self centered. Balderdash! I know a couple of atheists who spend their time helping the elderly and delivering meals.
I could go on and on but this letter writer doesn't deserve a response. What he needs is a heart. If he's a Christian then I am the king of England.
Mr. Timothy Walker you are the one who is hate-filled.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/08/13 - 08:52 am
I have known atheist who were

I have known atheist who were nice, and some who were filled with hate. I try not to put them all in one box, however, I have observed that the atheists seem to be more condescending towards others believes than most people.....generally speaking.

burninater
burninater 01/08/13 - 09:12 am
It is man’s nature to mock

It is man’s nature to mock and deride that which he cannot understand.
......
Well Mr. Walker, "man's nature" is one hypothesis for the source of your own decision to mock and deride. Another is free will -- you have chosen to be the type of person that mocks and derides others.

Better Off Damned
Better Off Damned 01/08/13 - 09:20 am
Atheist Charities Do Not Exist?

Atheist Centre of India: An atheist charity organization helping people since the 1940s

Foundation Beyond Belief: Offers a variety of guaranteed secular charities to support

EARTHWARD, Inc: Atheist group that provides humanitarian aid for victims of religious conflicts

Fellowship of Freethought: Atheist charitable organization

International Humanist and Ethical Union: A union of atheist and secular charities from around the world

Atheists Helping the Homeless: Atheists providing small comforts to homeless people

Kiva Lending Team: Atheists, Agnostics, Skeptics, Freethinkers, Secular Humanists and the Non-Religious

Secular Humanist Aid and Relief Effort: Atheists providing funds for medical care in Haiti

...Just to name a few.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/08/13 - 09:28 am
Again.....you can't put them

Again.....you can't put them ALL in one box.....to do so makes you no better than the people you criticize. It would be like someone claiming all conservatives cling to their guns and religion.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/08/13 - 10:35 am
Deaf ears and blind eyes, Angela.

Faith is a gift and, while available to all, it is not simply given to all.

Atheists, by the very fact of being human themselves, have an awareness of natural law built into their DNA. Why wouldn't we expect something good from at least some of them, even from many?

All goodness originates with God, whether someone who does good recognizes God as the giver of all good gifts or is as spiritually blind as a hammer. God doesn't need belief to do good for his creation. He desires belief because He loves us and wants us to know Him, be like Him and to share eternity with Him.

I find it almost physically nauseating that someone really could believe they would be "better off damned". I've hardly ever come across a more stark cry for help, even if it isn't coming from the mind of the person posting as that. The spirit of a person still cries out.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 01/08/13 - 10:49 am
What is the Bible is correct?

God forgives idolaters, murderers, liars, cheaters, deceivers, gluttons, covenant-breakers, fornicators, adulterors, homosexuals, the covetous, drunkards, extortioners, and criminals of all types. He even forgives the people who think they have no sin, but He cannot forgive the sin of blasphemy and this is the sin atheist commit. As long as they are alive there is hope for them and this is why we must pray for their unbelief. The most unloving act a person can commit is to know the truth about God and Christ and sit in silence while men parish.

Jane18
Jane18 01/08/13 - 11:25 am
Doesn't Hate the Sinner, Hates The Sin...................

People perish(the death of their soul-not until GOD's White Throne Judgment)because of lack of knowledge. The lack of knowledge is from not searching out the meanings of words and phrases, unbelief,and so sadly, from biblically illiterate preachers, pastors, priests, holy this and father that, reverends, etc.. Shrimp, I don't think Mr. Walker is hate-filled toward anyone, I think he hates atheisM.........................Sheff, there are a at least two sins that cannot be forgiven on this earth while someone is still in their flesh body. The perpetrators of these crimes(sins) must stand before GOD, and maybe, just maybe they will be forgiven, that will be up to HIM. The two that demand execution are premeditated murder and/or criminal homicide(both are murder) and rape. It's too bad we don't do as we are instructed(execute---at least as soon as we should)!

brds3526
brds3526 01/08/13 - 11:48 am
Full of anger?

Interesting, considering around 1% of the prison population is atheist. The overwhelming majority identifies as Christian. Maybe if there were fewer Christians, the world would be a better place. I mean, we're generalizing now, right? Almost two thousand years of oppression, several hundred years of slavery, countless civil wars, nine crusades, thousands of burned witches, millions of murdered Jews, millions more native Americans killed and displaced... And what, that's our standard for morality?

Not so nice when the other side bites back, is it? Oh yes, I am full of anger... But I have a reason to be. If you want to believe in a god, that's none of my business and I frankly don't care. If you're going to use your "loving" religion to express hatred towards your fellow man just because he doesn't agree with your twisted, Iron Age death cult, however, I suggest you keep it to yourself.

cdavis
cdavis 01/08/13 - 11:57 am
Dark Ages

This entire article is ignorant BS, but the amount of stupid contained in this one sentence is unbelievable..."if not for the church, man would probably have suffered in the dark ignorance that was the Dark Ages for a lot longer than happened."

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/08/13 - 11:59 am
"atheists are a completely

"atheists are a completely selfish, hate-filled people"

That is a broad, prejudicial statement Timothy. I personally resent your broad brush approach making statements about people you do not know. You don't know me. Don't talk about me. I am a non-believer but I have NEVER mocked or shown contempt or disrespect of other people's beliefs. I will admit to calmly, but forcefully, running off door knockers and asking street preachers to get out of my face but that is because they were being disrespectful to me and invading my space.

It always amazes me that if we ever achieved a utopian society where everyone lived well and had plenty of food and money that we would still be hating and killing each other over who's god was the real god and/or whether there was or was not a god and it would MAINLY be because people cannot keep the mouths shut and quietly believe what they choose. I don't care what you believe but you should respect other PEOPLE and keep your mouth shut and your beliefs to yourself. That goes for BOTH sides.

And Timothy is just one of many from both sides that just keeps stirring the eternal stew. Just couldn't let what someone else said go by. Just had to retaliate.

I don't think religion, or the lack thereof, is the problem. I've met a lot of really nice, intelligent folks from both sides. I think the problem is arrogant, insecure, intolerant, mouthy people who hate everyone who don't believe in the same things they do.

OJP
OJP 01/08/13 - 12:09 pm
Atheists generally have a "live and let live" attitude.

But when we do not receive the same in return, yes, we push back. Anyone who uses their religion to deny anyone their rights does not deserve any sort of default respect (Christians are generally guilty of this regarding interracial and gay marriage).

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/08/13 - 12:12 pm
The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God..

No supreme creator being. An intricate organized cosmos from chaos. Creation demands a creator, FOOL. Your home, car, food, art, music, schools, books, TV, cell phone, Ipod, Ipad, wrist watch, AR-15, FOOL.

What a foolish human being who would believe they are the center of the universe. Seems a angel named Lucifer once elevated himself to this lofty position. Is not Lucifer the poster boy for Atheism? Birds of a feather, FOOL.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/08/13 - 12:25 pm
Gays have the exact same

Gays have the exact same restrictions on marriage as any other person in this country.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 01/08/13 - 12:34 pm
brds3526

brds3526 said "Maybe if there were fewer Christians, the world would be a better place." You may live to see if you are correct. After the rapture all of us "saved sinners" will be gone along with the Spirit of God, leaving only the unsaved. Read the book of Revelations after chapter 4 vs 22. This will give you the answer what the world would be like without Christians.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/08/13 - 12:38 pm
That "live and let live" part is true only...

as long as nobody says "you shouldn't" about something, or anything. The actual reason for saying "you shouldn't" doesn't matter in the least. You could be warning against driving into a crevice at a blind curve, or against diving into murky shallow water, or against having sex with a sheep; it matters not.

I find that it is the very fact of suggesting "you shouldn't" that inspires such antipathy from atheists toward people of faith.

Nevertheless, some, on both sides of that issue, are reasonable and civilized people who know how to disagree without being disagreeable.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 01/08/13 - 12:39 pm
Humble Angela

You are correct. The laws apply exactly the same weather gay of straight. We have the same restrictions.

grouse
grouse 01/08/13 - 01:11 pm
What a ridiculous letter!

What a ridiculous letter! First, the Bible has so many verses, one can pick and choose to make one's point. "Ask and ye shall receive," has no qualifiers, and so on. Second, the writer generalizes about all atheists being selfish and hate-filled and there being no atheist charities. This is easily debunked. Bill Gates is the first who comes to mind, and a simple search on the Internet will reveal others. One can always put a mythical being in front of a new discovery and say, "God did it" without offering, unlike science, any proof at all. The writer should read about Galileo who is the poster boy the church's "tolerance" for science.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/08/13 - 01:12 pm
Poor Timothy

Must be awful to be filled with hate...I hope he doesn't think he is a Christian...

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/08/13 - 01:15 pm
You can be a Christian and be

You can be a Christian and be filled with hate. As a matter of fact, what better way to cure that hate than become a Christian. I don't know ANY Christians who claim they are perfect.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/08/13 - 01:26 pm
Well Timothy

missed the cure part...I'm not a regular church goer but I have never heard someone claim to be a follower of a loving forgiving religion filled with that much hate for someone he doesn't know and hasn't met. (with the exception of a lot of Islamists and the westboro baptist church)I can see why so many people claim that some christians persecute people in the name of their religion....he should pray for help...

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/08/13 - 01:41 pm
"(Christians are generally

"(Christians are generally guilty of this regarding interracial and gay marriage)"

Whoaa Kemosabe......I've met lots of "science based" atheists who have made genetic and social structure based arguments against interracial marriage and gay marriage. And some that simply argued that it was "against nature"....which I assume is a scientific argument. And I personally believe that if you take all religious arguments out of the abortion equation there are VALID constitutional concerns to be made on both sides of that issue. Yes, I believe there are pregancies resulting from rape, incest, and downright accidents and that a woman should be able to determine what happens with her body. BUT, she should make up her ditzy mind in the first couple of months because I am firmly opposed to late term abortions. I do believe that in some undefined, and probably arbitrary point the fetus comes under the constiutional protection of the right to life unless there is a REAL, and confirmed by more than one physician, danger to the life of the mother. Somehow, dragging a 7 or 8 month old fetus out of the womb and sticking a screwdriver through it's brain for no other reason than "I changed my mind" just don't seem like the right thing to do and it ain't got anything to do with religion.

Not all opposition to liberal, hot button, issues comes from the religious right like the liberal atheists would like to believe in their arrogant pseudo-superior minds. Sometimes they kind of make a fella ashamed to be called an atheist.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/08/13 - 01:43 pm
We throw the word "hate" and

littlecoach
littlecoach 01/08/13 - 02:15 pm
Wow or Woe

You have a choise to believe in God or not. This has been a conversation since "The Conversion of Clovis". Each individual person has the right to make up their own mind. We (people) like to breakdown people's brain like it was last nights football game. Sometimes this causes more resentment than progress, and turns into downright unfairness.

brds3526
brds3526 01/08/13 - 02:31 pm
RMSHEFF

Great! I look forward to it.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/08/13 - 02:42 pm
say what, HA?

"You can be a Christian and be filled with hate. As a matter of fact, what better way to cure that hate than become a Christian." Can you say non-sequitur???

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 01/08/13 - 02:50 pm
Hate is

Hate is knowing someone is headed for eternal torment and not warning them. Dichotomy, as for abortion, when does "life" begin. This is the argument you are making on constitutional grounds so the question is when does life begin. Almost all agree that scientifically speaking life begins at conception as all that is needed from that point is time. Our first protection stated in the constitution is "life". The most innocent life on planet earth is the unborn and the womb should be the safest place for the unborn. As for your statement the women should be able to choose what happens to her body and she can, however with abortion there is another person involved. At the very least no one should force me to pay for the murder of a innocent life.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/08/13 - 02:54 pm
And the congregation said AMEN!

Dichotomy: "ALL atheists do not mock people who believe in a god. Only the insecure and the intolerant zealots do that. But we seem to have a lot of those on BOTH sides."

ICL: "We throw the word "hate" and "love" around so easily that we have lost the true meaning of the words."

Thank goodness for the level headed on both sides of the fence.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 01/08/13 - 02:52 pm
brds3525

Sadly, you will have plenty of company.

Upscale addiction treatment facility opens

The facility off Bennock Mill Road is a cutting-edge residential addiction treatment facility, combining evidence-based treatment and wellness approaches like diet and personalized exercise ...