We're not in moral decline

I’m sick and tired of hearing all this moral decline rhetoric recently. For the sake of argument, I’m choosing to take a positive perspective.

In light of the recent gun debate, I want to point out that gun deaths are down overall. They have been in relative decline for the past 20 years – not to mention that gun deaths against children are down as well. If we’re becoming so immoral, then why aren’t the numbers going up overall?

Even though there is a much more public display of atheism, the majority of Americans still identify as Christian – an estimated 75-80 percent. No country on Earth, that I’m aware of, has that high a percentage of professed Christians. If we’re becoming so ungodly, then why is that number so high? This isn’t to say that all atheists are immoral, but I figured I’d point out the fact that Christianity still has an overwhelming majority.

Divorce rates also have been in steady decline since the 1970s. Current statistics say that actually 70 percent of all first-time marriages in this country stay together.

By the way, didn’t America once support racial persecution and segregation? Was society more moral back then? Ask an older black person who was around when they were treated like second-class citizens and see what he has to say. I don’t think that’s the kind of moral society in which we need to be living.

I also don’t think it was very moral when we committed Native American genocide at the beginning of our history. We love to forget about that little nugget!

People love to throw around the term “moral decline” like America used to be this utopian society, but this just isn’t true. There are many things that have improved and are continuing to improve, so at least consider that next time you think we’re just going down the drain. This doesn’t mean we can’t do better in current times, but there are plenty of positives to point out as well. It’s not all negative, folks!

Dallas Duff

Evans

faithson
faithson 01/03/13 - 05:25 pm
some believe that we live in

some believe that we live in a friendly Universe, a Universe that wants to support your potential for good. Evil is but a dark spot upon a canvas of good. the only thing eternal IS good. So do good, be good, as your Father in heaven is good.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 05:22 pm
InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 05:25 pm
" I think you have me

" I think you have me confused....again."

I don't believe I'm the one confused. You stated one of your comments was pulled. I simple stated several of us that comment on the AC have had comments pull at one time or another (thus the meaning been in your shoes).

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 05:27 pm
Let me then explain it to

Let me then explain it to you. What is life all about? Here's the short version...getting to heaven and taking as many with us as we can.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 05:29 pm
"Which was yours oneofthesane?"

"They usually get deleted due to not being respectful, personal attacks, harassment, racist, obscene or hateful remakrs, according to the policy mentioned above.Which was yours oneofthesane?"

again, you got me confused.....again.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 05:30 pm
Excellent comment Willow!

Excellent comment Willow! And enjoying the journey!

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 05:33 pm
I simple stated several of us that comment on the AC have had co

Dare I say that this comment of yours is a lie? It is not what you stated. You specifically stated reasons for deletion of comments and asked which was my reason....how is that stating that others were in the same shoes sound even similar?

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 05:34 pm
oneofthesane, I'm really

oneofthesane, I'm really getting concerned about you now.

If you comment was deleted as you stated earlier then it would have to be in violation to the policy AC has set for commenting. Where's the confusion?

You posted, you violated, you got removed. Nothing to be confused about.

allhans
allhans 01/03/13 - 05:48 pm
I saw a comment earlier that

I saw a comment earlier that stated "Well I'm not gonna say that all this is overly moral but I would trade that for racial persecution any day of the week...'

I think it would be safe to say that every race has known persecution at some time in history.
No, it is not nice..but prejudices will always be there.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 05:53 pm
Going to have to change that

Going to have to change that name; it just doesn't work with those comments

duffstuff
duffstuff 01/03/13 - 06:01 pm
to willow bailey

Excuse me Willow bailey but what are you reading loud and clear about me? And what comments have I made that refuted my earlier statements? You must be misinterpreting what I'm saying???

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 06:03 pm
oneofthesane, I owe you an

oneofthesane, I owe you an apology although I do believe you knew what my comment meant. Picking apart sentences is fine and I should have been more diligent in proofreading. That is my fault for revising a comment but you are correct, my comment stated....

My comment 4:11pm “Comments don't get deleted due to ruffled feathers. They usually get deleted due to not being respectful, personal attacks, harassment, racist, obscene or hateful remarks, according to the policy mentioned above. Which was yours oneofthesane?

Don't worry, I do believe we have all been in your shoes and survived....at least most of us have."

I noticed you left this last part off, I hope not intentionally.

My sentence should have said by using the meaning "been in your shoes" I simply meant that all of us here on the AC have had comments pulled.

I appreciate it if you would not call me a liar and again I apologize for your confusion. I seriously thought you had enough intelligence to know exactly what was meant by the comment.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 06:02 pm
ICL

You know what a worm on a hook looks like, don't you?

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 06:07 pm
Yeah CG...... I'm a cricket

Yeah CG...... I'm a cricket today so I think I'm going to hop out of this one today. Thought of stopping by to see Sarge if I can get over to that side of town...I'll call before going though.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 06:11 pm
ICL

He would really appreciate that.

duffstuff
duffstuff 01/03/13 - 06:21 pm
E=MC2?

I realize it doesn't matter what I say. I could say E=MC2 and someone will find a way to disagree with me. LOL

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 06:27 pm
duffstuff, if you don't

duffstuff, if you don't clearly know that Kathy Griffin's behavior on CNN was completely, irrefutably immoral, then I submit to you, that you have no idea of what immorality looks like.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/03/13 - 06:29 pm
We've been in

a moral decline since the democratic left took control of 2/3rds of the government in Jan., 2006.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 06:41 pm
duffstuff

only if someone can prove that E=MC2 doesn't equal E=MC2.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 06:48 pm
I see that he reread his own

I see that he reread his own comments and fled.

duffstuff
duffstuff 01/04/13 - 11:28 am
I watched that interview with

I went and watched that interview with Kathy Griffin and unless it was edited in any way all she did was joke about giving him a bj. and its was mostly just suggestive. So I personally don't consider a joke immoral behavior.( If she actually did it, that would be a different story) Comedians joke about all kinds of things. Like for example there are lots of comedians that will tell racist jokes or jokes about the holocaust or whatever, but that doesnt mean they are racist or anti semitic. I see a clear distinction between the two.

Let me ask you this, and I don't mean for this to be a got you question, I'm actually curious as to your perspective....So if I joke about killing my neighbor and simulate stabbing him (but as a joke with no real intention of doing so) is that immoral in your perspective? Cause its really the exact same thing when you think about it. Its simulating an immoral act as a joke so what's the difference, or is there one?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/04/13 - 02:17 pm
duff, I'm really starting to

duff, I'm really starting to feel like your mother:) Let me answer your question with a question. What do you find humorous about simulating murder? What do you find humorous or entertaining about watching a woman disrespect herself, her friend and the audience on national TV?

The major choices in our lives are comprised of hundreds of tiny ones. There are no firm beliefs, no foundation on which you truly stand. There is a search going on in your life, but your search is in self reliance, popularity, and "fitting in" in a secular world. The differences between what is good and what is bad appears to be a blur to you. You ask the wrong question when you say, "What is WRONG with this and why can't YOU take a joke?" The right questions are "What is RIGHT with this?" "How does it benefit me and others eternally?" "What kind of influence is it?" "In what direction will it ultimately take me?" "How does this behavior glorify God?"

The use of inappropriate humor is a cover for those who are doubtful of their own beliefs and values. While it may be working for you now, when there comes a time that it doesn't and your life is completely unmanageable; that is when you will be ready and enjoy a different conversation. I know all this sounds tough, but it is all said in kindness and honesty. "Better is the slap of a friend, than the kisses of an enemy".

I appreciate the opportunity to converse with you. My hope for you is that you will be willing to accept the best that God has for you and your family.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/04/13 - 02:36 pm
Duffstuff, although your

Duffstuff, although your comment was probably address to Willow I'd like to comment.

I believe there is a huge difference in sitting around with your friend horsing around and play acting like you are going to stab them (which I find disturbing for adult behavior...I could see it if you were 10 year old boys) and a female while on National TV or even in a group setting, kissing the front of a man's pants whom she is not married to and then to continue attempting to play like she is going to give him a bj when it is evident that he is trying to get her to stop.

There are some behavior that is playful, and then there is vulgar behavior.

duffstuff
duffstuff 01/04/13 - 11:04 pm
I thought it was playful and

I thought it was playful and a she was totally kidding but thats my opinion. And just to get this strait. You think its ok to simulate an immoral act with your friends but just not if there is a camera involved? LOL Personally I think some of yall need to lighten up. I dont advocate actual immoral behavior so saying that I don't understand morals or that I don't have respect for God or the Bible you would be mistaken. I have plenty of moral foundation thank you very much. I just don't think a joke is immoral in most cases. And who says I'm trying to just fit in or be popular? In fact that mentality goes against much of what I stand for. I say what I believe and am a religious/spiritual person. And you can't answer a question with a question. This isn't jeopardy!! JK

And willow bailey you ask what is right about this? how does it glorify God? etc...Well it doesn't but neither does any joke for that matter. I personally think a joke is amoral just like lots of things we do in life. If I acted in a play of Julius Caesar or Hamlet (in which I would simulate murder or suggest infidelity) I'm not immoral for acting in this play. You might think I am but I think that would be silly! It is fantasy and not reality. Its not necessarily moral or immoral. Its just pretend. This is how I view jokes. If you dont agree you have that right but dont tell me I don't know right from wrong!!! My whole family loves to tell dirty jokes and they are some of the most spiritual, Godly people I know. They just happen to have a sense of humor and can distinguish the difference between a harmless joke and actually doing what that joke suggests.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/05/13 - 11:34 am
You stated "I thought it was

You stated "I thought it was playful and a she was totally kidding but thats my opinion. And just to get this strait. You think its ok to simulate an immoral act with your friends but just not if there is a camera involved?"

So since she was kidding it makes it right? So if someone is kidding around and pointing a gun at you, it's okay cause they are kidding? I am blown away with your thought process.

And to set the record straight, I don't believe I stated anywhere that it was okay to simulate an immoral act. I believe what I said is that I can understand two 10 year old boys horsing around playing like they are stabbing each other (not that I think the act is okay) but find that kind of conduct for adults disturbing.

My next comment to you assumes you are of adult age and can relate to this senario. If you had a daughter and a young man conducted himself in the way that Kathy Griffin did (say at a prom or school dance), attempting to touch your daughter's private areas and laughing about it and it was clear that your daughter wasn't comfortable with it.....would you think it was playful and funny? I seriously doubt so.

I'm wondering if your view is bases on stereotypes, since this was a female conducting herself like this towards a male it's okay because we all know men love this kind of attention (sarcasm). Newsflash, any kind of unwanted sexual attention, whether displayed in private or before God and the whole world, is still wrong (and in my opinion, Immoral).

You also stated "My whole family loves to tell dirty jokes and they are some of the most spiritual, Godly people I know. "

Godly people usually follow the teachings of Christ and all I can say is that you must not know many Godly people to make that conclusion. Scripture tells us in order to be Godly, we must be like Christ (or try to be like Him since we are imperfect people). To do or act against His nature is not being Godly.

Ephesians 5: 1 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children2 and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

Also Ephesians 4:29 "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear"

Matthew 15:11 "It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” "

Psalms 19:14 "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. "

It appears that God's Word has a lot to say about what comes out of our mouth. We who are His children should be wise to listen.

Right is right and wrong is wrong whether we agree with it or not. I guess the bigger question is how each of us define immoral. I guess you view telling nasty, filthy jokes as being moral, I don't. You don't see anything immoral with a young lady (and I use that loosely) simulating a sex act in public, I do. You view all these acts okay in the sight of God, according to scripture and my beliefs, I don't.

End of discussion for me.

Goat project looking good

In just more than a week since nine goats were assigned to eat overgrown vegetation at an Augusta detention pond, officials and area residents are already noticing a difference.