We're not in moral decline

I’m sick and tired of hearing all this moral decline rhetoric recently. For the sake of argument, I’m choosing to take a positive perspective.

In light of the recent gun debate, I want to point out that gun deaths are down overall. They have been in relative decline for the past 20 years – not to mention that gun deaths against children are down as well. If we’re becoming so immoral, then why aren’t the numbers going up overall?

Even though there is a much more public display of atheism, the majority of Americans still identify as Christian – an estimated 75-80 percent. No country on Earth, that I’m aware of, has that high a percentage of professed Christians. If we’re becoming so ungodly, then why is that number so high? This isn’t to say that all atheists are immoral, but I figured I’d point out the fact that Christianity still has an overwhelming majority.

Divorce rates also have been in steady decline since the 1970s. Current statistics say that actually 70 percent of all first-time marriages in this country stay together.

By the way, didn’t America once support racial persecution and segregation? Was society more moral back then? Ask an older black person who was around when they were treated like second-class citizens and see what he has to say. I don’t think that’s the kind of moral society in which we need to be living.

I also don’t think it was very moral when we committed Native American genocide at the beginning of our history. We love to forget about that little nugget!

People love to throw around the term “moral decline” like America used to be this utopian society, but this just isn’t true. There are many things that have improved and are continuing to improve, so at least consider that next time you think we’re just going down the drain. This doesn’t mean we can’t do better in current times, but there are plenty of positives to point out as well. It’s not all negative, folks!

Dallas Duff

Evans

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 12:44 pm
Mr/Ms Duff

Mr/Ms. Duff, I employ you to go back and re-read (or I should say READ) my comment. Nowhere in my post did I judge another. I believe what I stated was “Until your heart has a change, you can call yourself a Christian all year long but your actions do not produce the fruit of the spirit necessary to be Christ-like” Do you know the difference in “discernment” and “judgment”?
Does scripture not say in 1 John 4:1 “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.” Christ also told us to go to our sisters and brothers in Christ and correct them if we see that they are sinning. John 7;24 tells us not to judge according to appearance but with righteous judgment. If we are not to judge, then why would He tell us to judge righteously? IT IS OUR JOB to uphold the Holy name of Christ and if my brother or sister is acting like a sinner, then it is my job to first pray and asked for direction and then bring their attention to it and let God convict their heart. We wonder why this world has gotten so bad…maybe it has something to do with the false impression that when we see sin, we are to keep our mouth shut and turn our heads,it doesn’t affect us, when in reality it affects all of us. Just look around at society. Yeah, there might still be some positive but it’s slowly being overtaken by the negative.
You are correct to say that if someone says they accept Christ then it is neither mine nor your or anyone else’s right to say they are or are not, but you sure can discern whether they are representing Christ according to His Word without judging their heart. By the way, try looking at the whole context of the scripture instead of quoting only a portion (commentaries are a good source to study also) ……Christ isn’t telling His people not to judge, but to be careful how you judge and then proceeds to give us guidelines.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 12:59 pm
Also as answer to your

Also as answer to your question Dallas Duff concerning the 50% and where I get my information.....(actually I said 50% of those who say they are Christian...which would calculate out to around 40% of the 78% of Americans who say they are Christian).

IF 78% of the American people were actually following the teaching of Christ and lived a Christ-like life, we wouldn't even be having this discussion on the moral decay of America.

duffstuff
duffstuff 01/03/13 - 12:59 pm
to InChristLove

I respect your comments and I appreciate the dialogue but my only issue is you threw out a specific number of 50% of people being good christians. My point is you're making up statistics or at least it seems that way. We are all sinners so I personally don't think we need to be making up numbers on who we think are the "good christians"

This is my perspective on the matter at least

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 01:04 pm
A specific number?

I believe my comment was

"I'd venture to say that approximately 50% of those who you say identify as Christians, do so in word only."

I apologies if you took this statement as fact and not my personal opinion. This is why I worded it "I'd venture to say" and use the statemet "approximately 50%".

duffstuff
duffstuff 01/03/13 - 01:20 pm
statistics

You're still just making up statistics though. Its fine to have an opinion, but numbers and percentages have to be based upon stringent studies, not just throwing out guesses off the top of your head. LOL

And who disliked my previous comment above? How can you disagree with the fact that one shouldn't make up statistics? Ha Ha

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 01:19 pm
Well I guess you have a 50%

Well I guess you have a 50% chance of being correct. LOL

duffstuff
duffstuff 01/03/13 - 01:22 pm
humor?

I'm just gonna assume that was an attempt at humor. LOL

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 01:53 pm
Kathy Griffin conducted herself on the Anderson Cooper show

Do you know who Kathy Griffin is? Really?

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 01:56 pm
Bantana
2071
Bantana 01/03/13 - 02:24 pm
Open Curtain

i can find no evidence whatsoever that your comment: "NAMBLA as a US Federally approved and recognized 501c", is in fact true. while i find the whole concept of an organization dedicated to the defense of pedophilia to be morally reprehensible and beyond disgusting, i find the outright misrepresentation of fact and attempts to imply that our government approves of pedophiles to be equally disgusting. the granting of 501 (c) (3) status does not mean the US government approves the behaviors of the organization making application for tax exemption, merely that the organization meets a specific set of criteria for that status. surely, no reasonable person believes that the our governmental entities even tacitly endorse pedophilia as evidenced by the numerous and severly punitive criminal statutes criminalizing such hideous crimes against minors. however, the first amendment guarantees the right of others to espouse their beliefs regardless of how unpleasant or objectionable others may find that message to be.

now, with intolerant societies like russia and china, it's a whole different story. while the direct and logical approach of those countries in dealing with unacceptable mores, values and beliefs has it's appeal, i much prefer our system to theirs.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 02:25 pm
oneofthesane.....do YOU know

oneofthesane.....do YOU know who Kathy Griffin is and how she conducted herself on the New Years Eve show? Do you approve of this type of conduct and do you consider this moral behavior?

Thank you very much. I have read the book of Revelation and why do you think I can remain sane in this sinful world....because I know who my Redeemer is and that no matter how wicked this world will get, I have a Savior who love me and I will one day be going Home. I don't have to worry about how vile people get or how disgusting people act. So my view of this world might seem depressing but it hold no bond on me. Thank you Jesus. Now can you say the same?

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/03/13 - 02:40 pm
Dallas Duff

Good name. Sounds like a football player!

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 02:43 pm
"there might still be some positive.."

there is a lot of positive, no doubt negative, but you have got to appreciate the positive and not dwell on so much of the negative. That is not what life is about....or should be about :)

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 03:05 pm
(Duffstuff) "So I have a

(Duffstuff) "So I have a 50% chance in being right about the fact that you shouldn't make up statistics? LOL "

Yeah it was an attempt on humor, which seemed to fall flat on you.

Since I was voicing an opinion and not quoting fact, it is my opinion, you interpreted my comment incorrectly.

I did not make up statistics and only voiced an opinion, using 50% as an estimated value BASED ON MY OPINION, and that it does not require stringent studies SINCE THE COMMENT IS BASED ON OPINION and not stated as a fact.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/03/13 - 03:35 pm
FYI, OC

I b'lieve it was Matt Drudge who broke the Monica Lewinsky story, much to the chagrin and outright anger of the editors at Newsweek, who had chosen, in a moment of civic and journalistic ambivalence, to hold the story for a week.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 01/03/13 - 03:37 pm
Judging sin...

Christians are not to Judge? This is a common misconception that some like to use to avoid having their sins exposed. This is an attempt by some to be able to be able to ease their conscience and continue in sin. We as Christians are to be light, to expose the deeds of darkness and to call people into the Light. God does forbid hypocritical judgement as with the Pharisees. Christians are not to judge in respect to motive as we cannot see the heart. We are not to condemn another but to recognize sin and call it sin . As in Matthew 18:15: "If your brother sins against you, go and confront him while the two of you are alone. If he listens to you, you have won back your brother." If we are not to judge we could not practice this instruction or even present the gospel without pointing out others sin and the penalty for sin. Unfortunately many Churches no longer preach about sin and repentance which is the heart of the Gospel message. Eliminating judgement of sin will help build a large congregation of people who don't think they need a savior. If your friend was cheating on his wife would you not say anything after all we should not judge !

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 03:57 pm
Be hopeful, but don't stick your head in the sand.

Good to remain postive or shall we say, it is better to live in hope, Dallas Duff. I believe what ICL is trying to get you to understand is, it is important in WHAT and WHOM we have hope in. We should also not turn a blind eye to the moral decay.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 04:02 pm
oneofthesane, from your comment

oneofthesane, from your comment..."that is not what life is all about". Would you share with us... WHAT is life all about?

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 03:59 pm
Did I ruffle feathers?

Cause apparently a kind comment of mine was deleted.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 04:01 pm
Excellent comments from ICL

Excellent comments from ICL and RMSHEFF.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 04:03 pm
Would you share with us... WHAT is life all about?

I'm a republican, I dont volunteer my time doing work for others :) But search and you shall find. ;)

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 04:10 pm
duffstuff, you were better

duffstuff, you were better off before you started commenting on your own letter. The things coming out of your own mouth refute your letter.

The problem is when people don't know the difference between what is holy (moral, our morality comes from God, not self) and what is not; they are in no position to make statements on such matters.

Out of the mouth, speaks the heart and I hear yours loud and clear.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 04:11 pm
Comments don't get deleted

Comments don't get deleted due to ruffled feathers. They usually get deleted due to not being respectful, personal attacks, harassment, racist, obscene or hateful remakrs, according to the policy mentioned above. Which was yours oneofthesane?

Don't worry, I do believe we have all been in your shoes and survived....at least most of us have.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 04:12 pm
Not amused by the comment

Not amused by the comment oneofthesane. If you really knew, you wouldn't be able to contain it.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 04:16 pm
oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 04:17 pm
If you really knew, you wouldn't be able to contain it.

Please don't look to me or any person for answers. You must find your own....when it comes to life.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 04:17 pm
" I dont volunteer my time

" I dont volunteer my time doing work for others "

I have to say this comment sounds so selfish. Volunteering your time to help others is a very selfless act and the personal joy you get is wonderful.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 04:18 pm
Don't worry, I do believe we have all been in your shoes.....

I think you have me confused....again.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 04:19 pm
I have to say this comment sounds so selfish

It would, perhaps when it comes to discussing what life is about, ppl shouldnt look to me in this circumstance to explain it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/13 - 04:19 pm
"sorry you felt that way"

"sorry you felt that way"

It was not I, sorry. My skins a little tougher and my feelings don't get hurt so easy. Look elsewhere to point your finger.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.