More guns aren't answer

More firearms in more places is not the answer to these mass shootings. Education; stopping the war on drugs; increasing the help (funding) for mental issues; and the media providing no mention or attention – especially not 24-7 coverage for weeks about the shooter – is how to prevent most of these shootings.

Firefights are very quick and very confusing, even for people who are trained. Ambushes are worse. It is my contention that if more people are armed, thinking they are like Die Hard’s John McClane, only more innocent people would be hurt. You rush to the sound of gunfire, weapon drawn while another John McClane wannabe is doing the same. No one knows who the bad guy is if they come upon each other. Meanwhile, the real police and response team are on their way, only knowing there are gunshots, and people are injured and/or killed.

In Augusta, an armed police officer, J.D. Paugh, was killed by a firearm. What’s the bet he had much more training than any teacher, movie attendant or mall cop?

Last Halloween, an area girl was shot because firearms were laying about and a kid played with a gun. Accidents like this kill more people than mass shootings. It’s happened in this city a few times already in the past couple of years, where young lives were cut short by accidents.

Legalizing drugs will prevent a lot of crime, from gang-on-gang violence to people who have a criminal record because of having an illegal substance and being unable to get a job, then resorting to a firearm out of desperation.

Education: People knowing how to store their firearms and carry them correctly and safely will save lives.

Mental health: Families struggle to get the help they need, with problems they cannot handle on their own until their children have criminal records.

Media: Stop giving any coverage to these shooters. Going back all the way to Columbine, I’d bet few Americans can name any victims, minus former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, without looking it up – but they can recognize the names and pictures of the shooters. Stop validating their need to make a name.

Preventing law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms used for sport, hunting and defense is not the answer. But arming everyone, and living in a TSA environment, is not the answer, either.

Matt Carroll

Augusta

myfather15
myfather15 01/03/13 - 01:53 am
Why yes Mr. Carroll, you must be right......

This letter is one of the most ridiculously stupid letters I've seen in a long time. Mr. Carroll writes without a single shred of knowledge of what he writes about.

First of all; J.D Paugh wasn't working the road, he was coming home from working a special detail. He didn't realize this guy was armed and already shooting at cars. J.D was ambushed and didn't have much of a chance to begin with. Anyone who has been in combat will tell you, the ambusher has the advantage, especially when there is only one deputy.

Second: The girl killed he is talking about, he failed to mention the father of the shooter was a dope head who was also arrested for having marijuana plants growing in his house. He was also known to sell pain pills. He left his firearms lying in the house without any securing device such as guncase, trigger lock, etc. Oooh, but Mr. Carroll I'm quite sure this dope smoking, dope selling idiot would be the first to sign up for your class on how to secure his firearm; right after he smokes a blunt.

When will you people realize that you CAN NOT legislate personal responsibility. And punishing those of us who are responsible because of others irresponsibility, is absurd. Banning guns from law abiding responsible citizens; Would be like trying to control the Countries population by forcing married couples with 2 children to take birth control, yet completely ignoring the woman who's never been married but has 9 children.

But, thats about what I would expect this Country to do these days. If they were having population problems, they would probably ban married couples from having more than 3 children but allow singles to have as many as they want. That logic wouldn't surprise me one bit from our politicians.

myfather15
myfather15 01/03/13 - 02:03 am
I could go on and on,

I could go on and on, refuting Mr. Carroll's ridiculous letter but I'm not going to tonight. Just understand, this man has no idea what he is talking about. It would take me another VERY long comment to fully refute his idiotic claims but I'm just too tired. It's quite clear this man has never been in a real firefight, ambush or any such event. But he has obviously watched Diehard, which automatically makes him an expert. Well, that and he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!

carcraft
carcraft 01/03/13 - 06:33 am
I am sick of the Hollywierd

I am sick of the Hollywierd idiots and their stupid shoot em up movies, then they decry gun violence! These movies sure have convinced Mr. Carroll he understands weapons and the thinking of those that own them! The hypocrisy of the left know no bounds, from Feinstein with her concealed carry permit to the Newspaper that published the address of gun owners now has armed guards at its office! I guess it is OK to have guns around if THEY THINK THEY NEED THEM but for us to protect ourselves, naw ,we just are not that important!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/03/13 - 09:06 am
How many shootings have there

How many shootings have there been at a gun show? I wonder why.

Jane18
Jane18 01/03/13 - 12:00 pm
Armed and Ready

Buttttttttt Matt, if we(law abiding citizens) are armed, we stand a better chance of surviving, or better yet, saving others, maybe even you!

grouse
grouse 01/03/13 - 01:05 pm
In his vitriolic response,

In his vitriolic response, Myfather15, unknowingly confirms what the Mr. Carroll writes. He claims officer Paugh was ambushed. Weren't the movie goers "ambushed," the school "ambushed," Columbine "ambushed?" They had no warning whatsoever. Had anyone been armed, as was Officer Paugh, it probably would have made no difference. I don't know that smoking marijuana makes one crazed or even irresponsible as MF15 seems to suggest, but his comments prove that not just anyone should own a gun, that safety devices (which the NRA opposes) should be improved so that children can't use them.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/03/13 - 01:36 pm
Mr. Carroll......sometimes

Mr. Carroll......sometimes there is no answer. But until you can devise a way to take all of the criminals, mentally ill, terrorists, gangs, and those inclined to riot, rob, rape, and burn down the town at the drop of a hat off of the streets I think I will hang on to my guns, encourage every law abiding citizen I know to get themselves a gun, and hope that we have sense enough to put armed guards and or arm the teachers at our schools if they so desire to carry a weapon.

Oh yeh I forgot, and reverse the trend of what I perceive to be an oppressive government run by despots. Threw that in just for my gun banning liberal friends.

Bulldog1
Bulldog1 01/03/13 - 01:50 pm
Opinion is "halfcocked"

Mr. Carroll offers his opinion that encouraging firearm ownership by honest citizens will result in the death and injury of more innocent bystanders. Unfortunately, he offers no evidence to support his claim. The most probably reason for this is that all the evidence points to exactly the opposite conclusion. Over the last 30 years, his opinion has been voiced loudly by the left every time another state would institute a concealed carry law. "It'll be the wild West all over again", they all cried. Interestingly, in every single case, crimes were seen to diminish. Professor John Lott's book "More Guns, Less Crime", convincingly analyses data from several examples proving unequivocally that Mr. Carroll has failed to study the available literature before going off "halfcocked".

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/03/13 - 02:04 pm
The wild west all over again.

What the left sees as "the wild west all over again" only happened in Hollywood. Reality bears little similarity.

Darby
Darby 01/03/13 - 04:11 pm
Knowing that "logical liberal" is...

... the granddaddy of all oxymoron's, let me postulate a situation. In this scenario I will be the nut-job shooter at a school or better yet a crowded theater where I have both an unlimited supply of defenseless targets and a virtually unlimited supply of ammunition. I am free to expend my ammo until my trigger finger gets too tired to go on.

Lo and behold! There is someone in that darkened theater, trained in weaponry and shooting back at me. I have two choices, (1) Get the hell outa Dodge and save my skin. (2) If I am truly devoted to my mission; attempt to find, fix and eliminate my opponent while he's taking well aimed shots at my head. Either way, the number of innocents shot and killed is going to be reduced dramatically. Even more so if there is more than one armed and trained non-victim in the group. An added bonus is that the distraction will allow many potential victims to exit the area unharmed.

Disagree if you like, but you would be wrong and if you have any sense of the logical, you know it. Disagree if you like, but you obviously have NEVER been up against an armed opponent. Those of us who have tend to have learned from the experience.

One last point Mr. Carroll, if you and I are ever in a public situation where one of these crazies starts shooting, there will be at least one person firing back. You can thank me later.

myfather15
myfather15 01/03/13 - 04:03 pm
10 Thumbs up to Darby, very

10 Thumbs up to Darby, very well written.

Mr. Carroll, in this scenario you already have an armed assailant inside a school or building, ACTIVELY shooting people. This isn't up for debate, he is already there shooting people.

Now, under your assumption, it would only make in more dangerous for the good guys to be armed, because it might cause confusion. Ok, lets try to focus here, the shooter is already assasinating innocent people by firing his weapon at them.

So, would you rather have HIM as the only person shooting projectiles at people? So, basically the question is; Would you rather have SOME bullets flying towards him, or the only bullets in the building be coming from him towards innocent people? It's that simple. I know you're saying it isn't that simple but it actually is. Because the mad man is already present, methodically killing people. So the danger is already there and you can't prevent that. Having the good guys with guns, DOESN'T make it more dangerous. Anyone in the building or area was already in extreme danger. But it might just make it end a little quicker, with less casualties.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 05:29 pm
myfather15

You have always been real good at putting in words my feeling and thoughts.

And Darby, if I'm there with you, there will be also be other bullets going in the opposite direction.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 05:37 pm
To You Matt Carroll

I posted this a few days ago and I will now post it for you. I think it was well written and says a lot against your letter.

THIS
IS THE VOICE IN THE DARKNESS-------THAT ALL NEED TO HEAR:

COLUMBINE STUDENT'S FATHER 12 YEARS
LATER !!
Guess our national leaders didn't expect this. On
Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the
Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited
to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he
said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress
was painfully truthful.

They were not prepared for what he
was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every
parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every
psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words
spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply
personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying
in the wilderness.. The following is a portion of the
transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both
good & evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the
seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my
wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic
teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain.
Their blood cries out for answers.

"The first recorded act of
violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The
villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the
National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason
for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.

"In the
days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how
quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am
not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun.
I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't
believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore
I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they
had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest
opponent

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not
just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us
to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in
this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the
accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that
expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest
needs,
Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our
heritage,
You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our
classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers
everywhere,
And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate
restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail
to understand,
That God is what we need!

"Men and
women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and
spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up,
we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in
and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our
educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our
major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical
fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor
God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And
when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs --
politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They
immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to
erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more
restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by
metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends
months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within
our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the
school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very
eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or
politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in
America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999,
at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do
not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare
to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for
legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with
Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I
give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart
before casting the first stone!
My daughter's death will not be
in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to
happen!"
- Darrell Scott

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 06:44 pm
You Know What Folks,

we may be getting close to the level of attacking the letter writer...Me included, maybe we should back off a bit. JMO

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/03/13 - 06:57 pm
Yep CG, methinks you all were

Yep CG, methinks you all were a little tough on him. His letter was not the typical leftist peacenik drivel, but points well made, whether you agree with them or not. Personally I saw some merit is some places and in others, not so much.

KSL
KSL 01/03/13 - 07:02 pm
We need to place some of the

We need to place some of the blame where it is due, on the media. Mr. Carroll obviously has not heard of the theatre shooting in Texas where the armed employee stopped the shooter before anyone died.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/03/13 - 07:14 pm
CG - went back and read 64 of your old posts

When your # was 49936 ....

But before I could honest read the last one some one snuck in and gave you the 50K

OK who was it? ☺

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/03/13 - 07:42 pm
More guns aren't answer

But, Less Liberals wanting to Ban them and the NRA making millions "talking" about protecting them MIGHT.

Every time a Liberal jumps up and waves the Red Shirt and starts yelling BAN, BAN, BAN. People run out and buy more, more, more. An the NRA makes more, money, money, money. Its has become a vicious political cycle.

If the MOUTHS spewing constant polarizing reteric for TV Face Time, book deals and the $$$$$$$ Mean tickets, would quit.

Maybe both sides could sit down and agree ONCE & FOREVER AFTER what the laws would be and NOT CHANGE every 2 to 4 years or as some breaks wind.

But, if they both did that, many would have to shut up find a new Cause to champion or starve.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 08:16 pm
My Very First Post

stated that I was waiting for the Gun Ban and the Abortion to be played.

So the new Cause I would Champion would be the Horrific deaths of unborn children. That will come.....God will make sure it does.

Bruno
Bruno 01/03/13 - 09:37 pm
Sorry but the mother and

Sorry but the mother and father had more than enough money for excellent mental health care for the shooter. People who are against the right to bear arms seem to think that everyone who carries or wants to carry a gun thinks that they are some sort of wannabe cowboy or as the author puts it "John McClane". They are simply wrong and showing their ignorance and prejudice.

KSL
KSL 01/03/13 - 10:18 pm
Wasn't that also true off the

Wasn't that also true off the Columbine shooters, as well? Well to do parents?

Darby
Darby 01/03/13 - 11:58 pm
I have not attacked the writer...

...however, the very first line of his tome is dead wrong and needs to be attacked. Further, he suggests that education is the answer. I've learned that anytime a liberal uses the word "education" his hidden message is "Throw more taxpayer money at the problem and it will go away."

I believe Mr. Carroll is probably a good man. Misguided but well intentioned. He may be right concerning the need to spend more on mental illness. I'm all for that, but that alone won't begin to end the killings.

We could work wonders by beginning in our schools. Without spending an extra dime, we could begin to stress individual responsibility and morality (Yes, my liberal friends, you can have morality without teaching religion.) Teach kids that they are entitled to equal opportunity but not an equal outcome in life. And finally, embed in them the need to harbor just a little distrust of government.

Liberals won't face up to the problem, preferring instead to always seek simple but, reflexive, expensive and ineffective solutions. Solutions that always, without fail, result in a loss of freedom and restrictions on the rights of law abiding Americans.

And if I may offer one last word on us "cowboys".... Before I leave the house each day, I pick up my weapon and tuck it away on my person. No one knows I have it and I don't talk about it. I don't even think about it until I come home and settle in for the night. I'm not even aware that I have it on me and the last thing I ever want is a chance to use it.