Prayerful help on the way

Regarding Jeff Miller’s thoughts on the futility of prayer (“Example shows prayer fails,” Dec. 4): His words and thoughts certainly let us know he is passionate about his beliefs and is able to assimilate them into a riveting delivery.

He presents an argument that would seem plausible to many; certainly his intellect and writing skills are admirable. The first time I read his letter I was momentarily jolted and shocked, as he intended. He definitely engaged and challenged us.

Now, my response to his letter.

I once spent a long season of delusion blinded by pride and self-assurance, while denying God’s part in anything good that had come into my life. That self-serving deception almost destroyed me. Fortunately, through the prayers of others, I came to my senses. Countless Christians could confess to similar personal failures and God’s enduring mercy.

If Jeff’s letter is a true picture of who he is, his pride and misled intellect are his own worst enemies. He doesn’t know truth because he hasn’t been open to the One who is truth. It’s only through Him that any of us understand.

Since he quotes Scripture, remember that the Word assures us that God will not be mocked and vengeance is “mine,” says the Lord. Contemptuous ridicule of the God of the universe – the One who hung the stars and orders each of our days – is blatant blasphemy, and high risk indeed. Each of our lives stand before God like a candle flickering in the wind. We should never overlook that. We should also know that science can not save any of us at the moment of our dying – nor can it be a savior any other time.

The Bible also tells us: “Bless those who curse you and pray for those who hate you.” Jeff’s letter has been cut out and kept to remind our family to pray for his repentance and redemption. We know God loves him, and we do too! He’s just badly deceived and in need of prayer. Many of us have been there. God can surely correct that. Undoubtedly he will be one of the most prayed-for people in the CSRA. And prayer definitely changes things!

In closing, Jeff should remember that we’re all ultimately required to play by God’s rules. He’ll let us choose to get outside the bounds, and He’ll adjust us with penalties – but none of us wants to be permanently disqualified.

I thank Jeff for his prayer request. We hear him and feel his need. He should know that help is ready and waiting to get him on the road to truth and life. He can call anytime.

Gary Garner

Augusta

Dan White 12/28/12 - 04:33 pm
True enlightenment

Jeff Miller and others like him may perhaps be enlightened by the great Irish poet William Butler Yeats who wrote, "People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition end by starving the best part of the mind."

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/28/12 - 04:56 pm
could you please tell me who you are referring to in your last..

Why does my post have to be directed to a person??? deception??? That sounds rather judgemental and presumptuous. Sorry. It is just a statement and a rather true one I think. Faithson did answer your question you posted 2:19 answered at 2:44. Guessing you didn't see it by your 3:27 comment.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/28/12 - 05:15 pm
Intellect + pride = freedom

your pain is showing.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/28/12 - 05:16 pm
Oneofthesane, my apologies.

Oneofthesane, my apologies. Maybe I should have used the word evasiveness instead of deception. It appeared you were trying to make a point or statement without actually pointing a finger at any one...and evidently that was your point. Since the last portion of your comment was almost identical to Willow’s comment I was wondering if you were referring to her in your comment about people who have not read the bible getting into biblical conversations. If so, I would have to say you are most definitely way off base on that point. If not, then I misread your comment....therefore I asked for clarification. I fail to see where my comment was judgmental but if you perceived it that way, again my apologies.

As for faithson answering my question I have to disagree with you. I asked what UB stood for and all I got was another evasive answer that if was referencing a source of material.....not from where the material came from. If I quoted something from a poem, most people would note which poem or the author. If someone quoted from biblical scripture they would note from which book and verse of the Bible. If someone quoted a famous or well known quote, most would denote the person famous for it.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/28/12 - 05:21 pm
It appeared you were trying to make a point or statement without

I believe this statement you made holds truth. It is a way to comply with AC rules. So you are correct. That is the case.....most of the time :)

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/28/12 - 05:29 pm
answering my question I have to disagree with you....

that part of my response to you was meant to be sarcastic. Basically what I meant by that was......Asking what some might consider intellectual questions to someone that is not that intellectual will get you a response like you got. That's all I was sayin'. :)

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/28/12 - 05:36 pm
Thanks for the explanation

Thanks for the explanation oneofthesane. Sometimes it's extremely difficult to read inflection in individual comments to know in what context they are written, especially someone whom you have not had much correspondence with.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/28/12 - 07:13 pm
onlysaneone, did you think I

onlysaneone, did you think I implied something untrue or unkind towards you? I, in fact did not.

As to reading the Bible, personally, I have not a clue who has or hasn't read the Bible that participates in these types of exchanges, particularly since it can be read without one whit of understanding or knowledge. That doesn't bother me though, because I love to talk of these things to anyone with half a mind to listen.

My earlier comment is simple. So many people are disillusioned (or at least use it as an excuse) about God's existence or character because of how they view another human beings behaviors and attitudes.

I'm saying this: People aren't the standard for God. God is the standard for God. Don't allow anyone or anything, including your own self, to keep you from the inheritance God has already given to you. It's yours, TAKE HOLD OF IT.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/28/12 - 07:15 pm
Hi, Dan, good comment.

Hi, Dan, good comment.

faithson
faithson 12/28/12 - 07:31 pm
ICL

2 points: 'book to claim'... I submit that the Torah, The Writings, The Prophets and the Zohar make claims. Upon study one determines the verocity of these claims. Any address of the infinite that makes claims (bible) must undergo the same critic. The book of which you speak only lays claim to that which can be understood by the reader. Please know that I am adamant about the Gospels as the premiere understanding of our relationship with our Father (infinite).
Second Point: 'deny the the deity of The Son of God', I do not read this in 'my' book. I read of Jesus as our sovereign and creator, a deity if there ever was one. But that is just me.
thank you for your cordial comment.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/28/12 - 09:13 pm
Faithson, in response to your

Faithson, in response to your 2 points....on point one I have no doubt that the verocity of the Bible. Fulfillment of biblical prophecy is just one verocity.

You stated "The book of which you speak only lays claim to that which can be understood by the reader" Are you speaking of the Bible or the Urantia Book?

On point two...since you never stated what "your" book is, I have no way to respond to your comment other than it pleases me that you acknowledge Jesus as deity. If "your book" is the Urantia Book then I can only say that the comment on "deny the deity of the Son of God" came from a portion that I read on a website on what the Urantia Papers/Book is about. Whether that is accurate or not, I don't know but it's all I had to go on.

I fail to understand why you are so evasive as to what material you use as reference or study for spiritual guidance as I am most proud to say I believe the Bible, cover to cover, and believe it is the very breath of God. I use it daily to know His character and attempt to live the kind of life that would please my Savior.

faithson