Prayerful help on the way

Regarding Jeff Miller’s thoughts on the futility of prayer (“Example shows prayer fails,” Dec. 4): His words and thoughts certainly let us know he is passionate about his beliefs and is able to assimilate them into a riveting delivery.

He presents an argument that would seem plausible to many; certainly his intellect and writing skills are admirable. The first time I read his letter I was momentarily jolted and shocked, as he intended. He definitely engaged and challenged us.

Now, my response to his letter.

I once spent a long season of delusion blinded by pride and self-assurance, while denying God’s part in anything good that had come into my life. That self-serving deception almost destroyed me. Fortunately, through the prayers of others, I came to my senses. Countless Christians could confess to similar personal failures and God’s enduring mercy.

If Jeff’s letter is a true picture of who he is, his pride and misled intellect are his own worst enemies. He doesn’t know truth because he hasn’t been open to the One who is truth. It’s only through Him that any of us understand.

Since he quotes Scripture, remember that the Word assures us that God will not be mocked and vengeance is “mine,” says the Lord. Contemptuous ridicule of the God of the universe – the One who hung the stars and orders each of our days – is blatant blasphemy, and high risk indeed. Each of our lives stand before God like a candle flickering in the wind. We should never overlook that. We should also know that science can not save any of us at the moment of our dying – nor can it be a savior any other time.

The Bible also tells us: “Bless those who curse you and pray for those who hate you.” Jeff’s letter has been cut out and kept to remind our family to pray for his repentance and redemption. We know God loves him, and we do too! He’s just badly deceived and in need of prayer. Many of us have been there. God can surely correct that. Undoubtedly he will be one of the most prayed-for people in the CSRA. And prayer definitely changes things!

In closing, Jeff should remember that we’re all ultimately required to play by God’s rules. He’ll let us choose to get outside the bounds, and He’ll adjust us with penalties – but none of us wants to be permanently disqualified.

I thank Jeff for his prayer request. We hear him and feel his need. He should know that help is ready and waiting to get him on the road to truth and life. He can call anytime.

Gary Garner

Augusta

Jane18
Jane18 12/28/12 - 06:41 am
"He(Jeff) can call anytime"

It is his choice, whomsoever will...........! Gary, your first and second paragraph immediately reminded me how satan could make a good argument with his twisting of the scriptures. Unfortunately, he knew The Word better than most every so-called teacher of it in biblical times and even nowadays, and he knew how to make it sound soooo good(The tempatation(test) of Jesus, as I said the other day, there was nothing satan could give Jesus, it all belonged to Him anyway).Hope is a positive thing, we can hope for ole' Jeff, can't we?

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/28/12 - 08:47 am
"pride and misled intellect"?

Pride?, yes; misled intellect?, no. Those of us who are not believers are indeed proud, proud that we have not swallowed the silly myths of Christianity, or any other supernatural sets of beliefs. That's a heathy and commendable form of pride. And how did we manage to avoid the myths? Not by the misapplication of intellect, but rather by its rigorous application. Intellect + pride = freedom.

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 12/28/12 - 09:30 am
Where does pride lead to?

The equation is: Intellect + Pride = Madness.

What I do not know fills a library. Altogether the scientists, philosophers, historians, theologians, economists and other specialists know about 23% of the universe. Scientists want more cyclotrons so they can find the other unaccounted for particles in atomic weights.

Pride goes before the fall.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/28/12 - 10:56 am
I would like EEL to prove

I would like EEL to prove that God is a "myth". Just because you do not believe he exist, as you so stated, does not mean that you are correct. It is your opinion (and rightly yours) so how can you be proud of something you can not prove?

faithson
faithson 12/28/12 - 11:09 am
Forever Free

"The religion of the spirit leaves you forever free to follow the truth wherever the leadings of the spirit may take you." UB

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 12/28/12 - 11:11 am
More prayer warriors needed

The Bible also tells us: “Bless those who curse you and pray for those who hate you.” Jeff’s letter has been cut out and kept to remind our family to pray for his repentance and redemption (Gary Garner).

Wow! Great words. We definitely need more prayer warriors.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/28/12 - 11:39 am
prove it!

ICL, Of course I cannot prove god does not exist, any more than than you can prove she does. The source of pride in my view is that I arrived at it on my own, and did not depend on a bunch of dead old white men and a "book" they cobbled together two thousand years ago....

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/28/12 - 12:08 pm
She? Now you are determining

She? Now you are determining the sex of God that you say doesn't exist. Hmmmm.... So you are the source of your own pride.....kind of like having a over inflated view of one's own accomplishments, whether sucessful or not.

I'm happy to tell you that my decision that God does exist did not come to be because of a "bunch of deal old white men and a "book". It came through personal experiences in my life that could not be explain in any other fashion except through the Grace of a loving and Almighty God. it is not with pride that I know this, but with humility. The 'book" as you call it, serves as a guidebook for how I'm suppose to live my life, not to prove God exists. It can no more prove God existed than our history books can prove George Washington or Abraham Lincoln existed. I never physically saw George or Abe so I can only know they existed through history books....as for Christ, since He is alive and we converse daily, I have no doubt that He exist. His Words serve as pathways so that I might live as a descent human being, know His character, and hopefully project His essense in this world so that a small portion of good might come through all this evil we humans mascarade as life.

You have a right to not believe because you have never encountered Him, which is a sad thing, but understandable. I just get tired of hearing God is a "myth" when I know He isn't, but such is life.

Here's a little help by the way......since the reference is Son of God, and it's Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, all three denote male. So your reference of "she" is nothing more than a wasted gab at Christianity and falls short of anything meaniful.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/28/12 - 12:25 pm
"could not be explain in any other fashion..."

I have heard many Christians make such comments. When pressed for details, I have never had any difficulty hypothesizing one or more perfectly plausible explanations for experiences claimed to be proof for the existence of god. Bottom line: If you want to believe in god, you will convince yourself that a certain experience can only be explained by her existence.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/28/12 - 12:29 pm
Likewise, EEl. True bottom

Likewise, EEl. True bottom line..... If you refuse to believe HE exist, you will make up any excuse and senario to claim HE does not exist.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/28/12 - 12:29 pm
"falls short of anything meaningful"???

Actually, no. The meaningfulness of the masculine terms you cite is simply more proof of the influence of those old dead white men projecting "reality" in their own images.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/28/12 - 12:33 pm
So you are saying if you have

So you are saying if you have a son, brother, or father, you refer to them as She. I'm sure you are a hit with the family and I fail to see how old dead white men can influence the term "Son", "Father".

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/28/12 - 12:51 pm
InChristLove
InChristLove 12/28/12 - 12:54 pm
"" I fail to see how old dead

"" I fail to see how old dead white men can influence the term.." new

You could not have put it better!" (EEL)

Your comment makes no sense whatsoever and you post it like I prove your point. First you say the old dead white men influence proved something, now you are saying I prove your point by saying I fail to see how old dead white men influenced anything.

Your double-talk makes no sense.

Dixieman
Dixieman 12/28/12 - 01:05 pm
Dixieman has 1,000,000,000 points

Pray for him and the ACLU -- it just might work, and even if it doesn't, it will irritate them!

allhans
allhans 12/28/12 - 01:25 pm
Satan is a Spirit and can

Satan is a Spirit and can enter when you are not aware. Be careful...

faithson
faithson 12/28/12 - 02:10 pm
eel

TO THE unbelieving materialist, man is simply an evolutionary accident. His hopes of survival are strung on a figment of mortal imagination; his fears, loves, longings, and beliefs are but the reaction of the incidental juxtaposition of certain lifeless atoms of matter. No display of energy nor expression of trust can carry him beyond the grave. The devotional labors and inspirational genius of the best of men are doomed to be extinguished by death, the long and lonely night of eternal oblivion and soul extinction. Nameless despair is man’s only reward for living and toiling under the temporal sun of mortal existence. Each day of life slowly and surely tightens the grasp of a pitiless doom which a hostile and relentless universe of matter has decreed shall be the crowning insult to everything in human desire which is beautiful, noble, lofty, and good.

But such is not man’s end and eternal destiny; such a vision is but the cry of despair uttered by some wandering soul who has become lost in spiritual darkness, and who bravely struggles on in the face of the mechanistic sophistries of a material philosophy, blinded by the confusion and distortion of a complex learning. And all this doom of darkness and all this destiny of despair are forever dispelled by one brave stretch of faith on the part of the most humble and unlearned of God’s children on earth.

This saving faith has its birth in the human heart when the moral consciousness of man realizes that human values may be translated in mortal experience from the material to the spiritual, from the human to the divine, from time to eternity. UB

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/28/12 - 02:19 pm
curious faithson......what

curious faithson......what does the UB after your comments mean?

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/28/12 - 02:25 pm
If you so wise as to be a

If you so wise as to be a liberal, you would be so wise as to not believe in God. (end sarcasm) Amen.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/28/12 - 02:30 pm
When pressed for details, I have never had any difficulty hypoth

Challenge: Please give us your theory on the Bermuda Triangle and black holes. Interested.

.....using "her" referring to the Lord.....wish I didn't have any education in physcology, because if I didn't, I wouldn't even know such a person that would say such a thing has daddy issues.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/28/12 - 02:31 pm
Speaking of dead old white

Speaking of dead old white men...

God offers love, hope and an eternal inheritance of life with Him in His Kingdom. What are the rest of you (non believers) offering?

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/28/12 - 02:40 pm
Of course I cannot prove god does not exist, any more than than

Ahh geez....here I go again with the whole education thing....your first part of this sentence shows that you did/do believe but are broken for some reason. If you truely did NOT believe God exsists, there are a million things you could have said to "prove" he "doesnt" exsist. I am sorry you lost your faith or are very angered, but I assure you God still loves you and will lead you back to Him and when you are ready accept His love. You will feel a whole lot better.

faithson
faithson 12/28/12 - 02:44 pm
inchristlove

referencing source of material. Not my own thoughts, but ones I agree with. kinda like one's use of the bible or other reference materials.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/28/12 - 02:57 pm
It is really amazing how so

It is really amazing how so many allow another human being to define who God is or isn't to them? That's so not smart.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/28/12 - 02:57 pm
I sort of gathered that

I sort of gathered that faithson. I was just wondering what source UB is that you are referencing.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/28/12 - 03:10 pm
It is really amazing how so many allow another human being to de

Its amazing how many ppl have never even read the bible yet get involved in biblical conversations. Not so smart.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/28/12 - 03:16 pm
oneofthesane....could you

oneofthesane....could you please tell me who you are referring to in your last comment. I don't do deception well and I'm confused with who you agree or disagree with by your comments. Sorry.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/28/12 - 03:27 pm
faithson, since I haven't

faithson, since I haven't received an anwer to my last question (I assume you are busy and haven't yet seen it) I took it upon myself to do some internet searching. I came across what I assume is your source of material, the Urantia Book.

After reading several pages concerning this material I have many concerns. In my OPINION, deception is still not the truth no matter how you dress it up. For a book to claim to give an accurrate account of Christ but deny the the deity of The Son of God, leads me to believe this is just false doctrine.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 12/28/12 - 03:33 pm
eel

The Bible does not try to prove God exist. It assumes the one reading it believes that there is a God and introduces Himself as that God. Most people on earth believe that there is a God but there is only one true God. There are many different Gods people worship such as Buddha, Allah, Christian Science, Atheism etc. and they are all very different but there can only be one true God and the rest don't exist. The Bible meets people at that point. God says the creation around you ( including yourself) is proof enough and sufficient to hold you accountable before Him.

Dan White 12/28/12 - 03:33 pm
True enlightenment

Jeff Miller and others like him may perhaps be enlightened by the great Irish poet William Butler Yeats who wrote, "People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition end by starving the best part of the mind."