Letter embarrassing, sexist

When I picked up The Augusta Chronicle on Dec. 11, I was appalled by what I read in the letter to the editor from Sam Arrington of Louisville (“We need a man for the job”). The title really says it all. Arrington implies that the work of Hillary Clinton as secretary of state has been unsatisfactory because she is a woman. She is not capable of defending herself against the “sexist Muslim men” of the Middle East.

In reality, Clinton faces equal if not more sexism in her own country. I cannot even count the number of instances in which she has experienced unnecessary and irrelevant criticism purely because she is female. Americans are afraid of powerful women and therefore afraid of Hillary Clinton. She has done an outstanding job as secretary of state, a demanding and difficult role.

Next, Arrington says that “Muslim men look down on women as the inferior sex; someone to cook, clean and raise children.” He is living with his head in the sand if he fails to recognize that women are viewed in exactly the same way by much of the Western world. In just a few sentences, he manages to demonstrate prejudice against Muslims while simultaneously ignoring the worldwide oppression of women. He goes on to describe the “perfect secretary of state,” who of course would have to be tall, muscular and, most of all, masculine.

Could he be more blatantly sexist? Perhaps the most humorous line is where he writes that women are treated poorly only in the Middle East – by the rest of the world, they are “respected.” This statement effectively marginalizes the experiences of women worldwide. Arrington displays undeniable ignorance and prejudice in his letter, and I am embarrassed to see it published in the newspaper of my hometown.

Rebecca Baylor

Evans

Jake
Jake 12/22/12 - 10:02 am
Good letter, Rebecca

Of course if you keep up with the LTE in the AC then you know there are many odd-ball letter writers that get their letters published every month. I view it as comic relief.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 12/22/12 - 10:21 am
Men and women

think nothing alike. hillary clinton is an un-indicted criminal from Whitewater to who knows what else she is capable of. And she's a COWARD, too!

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/22/12 - 10:23 am
While I do not agree with "We

While I do not agree with "We need a man for the job" I also take issue with "She has done an outstanding job as secretary of state".

Under her watch we have seen the entire Middle East come under control of the Muslim Brotherhood, mismanagement of embassy defense while wasting money on Chevy Volts for European "green" initiatives, no effective action taken against Iran and North Korea, and the administration effectively capitulating to Vladimir Putin on missile defense.

Her ignoance of the on the ground pleas for assistance resulted in the deaths an ambassador and 3 other Americans.

Yes, she has worked hard and traveled a lot but she has screwed up about everything she has touched. Nothing to do with being female. She is just incompetent. Madeline Albright was a tough female Secretary of State. Hillary is just a liberal screw-up.

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 12/22/12 - 10:47 am
Ever hear of...

Sarah Palin?

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/22/12 - 11:01 am
Miss Hillary's true problem....

is that she is a "true believer" in the religion of Global Totalitarian Government. Be it called Socialism, Fascism or Communism. The lipstick does not matter. Hillary believes the the "state" is the answer to all human situation and the the "state" must control every aspect of its citizens lives.

Jane18
Jane18 12/22/12 - 11:28 am
"Appalled" Rebecca

Sorry, Rebecca, I cannot agree with your letter. I agree with everything dichotomy said, and I would like to add this personal reflection on ole' Hillary. She put up with her sorry, two-timing husband through his governorship and during his presidential terms, I do Not know any woman, that would have done that! Trust me, it was not because of love, unless you count the love of self and how far she wanted to go. I would have thought more of her if she had divorced him and took him to the cleaners. If you do not think foreign leaders, especially of the East do not think much of her, or any woman, you are in denial. Women like you are the reason our men are no longer the strong leaders they once were, don't have leadership in their homes anymore, actually, have lost their position in our culture because of women's organizations, aclu, and "political correctness", etc.. So, you just go on and continue to be appalled, but, I'm telling you right now, as a woman, and a strong and good one at that, I hope our next Secretary of State is the smartest, biggest and no nonsense Man to put on size 13 shoes! No, I am not politically correct, never have been and never will be, I'm just telling you the truth. Oh yeah, you tell me one country where women are treated better, have more opportunites than The United States of America......you can't! I appreciate the AC printing Sam Arrington's letter, some of us agree with it................!

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 12/22/12 - 11:35 am
So that offended you, but

the near-daily assault upon readers' intelligence in these pages, doesn't?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/22/12 - 12:07 pm
I found the letter sexist too.

Women couldn't even vote in this country until 1920.
I don't know who I would want to be Secretary of State. Whoever it is I hope they are well versed in foreign affairs because this world is pretty nuts.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 12/22/12 - 12:56 pm
To paraphrase our friends on the left.....

....Hillary lied, people died.

dahreese
dahreese 12/22/12 - 01:22 pm
@Jon Lester

I agree. But first, you have to have the intelligence to know you're being insulted.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/22/12 - 01:42 pm
Results

Whether you like Sam Arrington's letter or not, you've got to admit the letter got results. After the letter was published, Obama scuttled Susan Rice and has now nominated Sen. John Kerry, who is a shoe-in for confirmation.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/22/12 - 01:42 pm
There's nothing wrong with

There's nothing wrong with saying, "We need a man for the job" any more than there is in saying, "We need a woman for the job". Men and women bring different gifts to the table; we compliment each other; two being better than one. Why so much fuss trying to elevate one over the other? That's not the natural design.

There are many occasions when my husband is better suited for a task than I am, and vice versa.

burninater
burninater 12/22/12 - 02:11 pm
Whether you like Sam

-------
I really hope this was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

allhans
allhans 12/22/12 - 04:05 pm
I don't think this letter was

I don't think this letter was intended to be about femininity, that was an excuse.
An excuse to praise Hillary Clinton, you will see more and more letters of this ilk used solely for praising their next king, oops, their first queen.

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 12/22/12 - 05:46 pm
The Point

I think the point the writer was making is that Arrington's letter was sexist. It was sexist and it showed that women aren't respected in the West either. I remember several readers writing there were strong women in the world that have been elected to serve but we fail to do it here. Margaret Thatcher, Indira Ghandi, Angela Merkel, Benazir Bhutto, Golda Meir lead their countries well and there are many other women leading countries well and they are respected. This was a sincere letter by someone that was upset by the foolish disrespect for women everywhere.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/22/12 - 08:15 pm
Sam's letter was not an

Sam's letter was not an insult to intelligent women. The letter wasn't about them; it was about the Muslim attitudes towards women and the fact that we should take those attitudes seriously by having smarter strategies before they escalate their point.

KSL
KSL 12/22/12 - 09:53 pm
I am a woman and I have never

I am a woman and I have never been disrespected for my abilities and the fact that I am a woman. Not ever. I don't buy into that premise.

I guarantee she needs to be disrespected, not but not because she is a woman.

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 12/25/12 - 03:15 am
Sarah Palin???

Does anyone seriously think the Angry White Male Brigade actually listen to Palin's blather while they're glued to their sets when she's on?

Oh , and Duh-Byah lied and a hundred thousand died.