Pray for errant letter-writer

In response to Jeff Miller’s letter, “Example shows prayer fails” (Dec. 4): As a Christian, I feel led to respond and to ask a few questions.

Who planned and created the world we live in? Does he really believe there was no one behind it all? No Supreme Being whose intelligence designed human beings, our Earth, and everything growing and living within it?

He should use his scientific knowledge to figure out the answer to that question. But some of us know there has to be a Creator who is still with us, and who sent His Son, Jesus, whom we call Christ, who is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

God is not real to Jeff Miller now, it seems. He is to me, and has proven so, over and over again. I was diagnosed with arthritis and another serious disease, and I have been cured. Prayer was a very important part of my cure.

For Jeff Miller to call my faith a “Bronze Age mythology” is just plain ignorant. I call on all of us to pray for Jeff from now through Christmas – that he will come to know the Way, the Truth and the Light.

TParty
TParty 12/19/12 - 02:01 am
Do god, the supreme being

Did god, the supreme being that created you, gave you arthritis and another serious disease, and you have been cured, because you prayed to god?

You did not seek out medical professionals, who ran tests and diagnosis on you; only to discover your arthritis and other serious disease and began treatment based on research and other scientific means?

It was prayer that saved you. From diseases your creator gave you. And Jeff Miller and folks like myself- you want to us worship Jesus, who is god but also son of god because he truth.

If you did not seek out any medical help and treatment, and only prayed for a cured which worked, you might have point....

carcraft
carcraft 12/19/12 - 06:46 am
Tparty, we have illness

Tparty, we have illness because man sinned and illness is one of the consequences of sin! Take aids, God clearly states that man with man is not His will. People pushed, had their gay bath houses, promiscuous sex and spread aids. If people had avoided homosexual behavior how fast would the AIDS epidemic have spread? Read ”And the Band Played On” to give you an idea of how resistant the homosexual community was to curtailing activities and even denying it was a sexually transmitted disease. The Bible clearly warns against promiscuous sex. We had an increase of cervical cancer among young women because of promiscuity and the Papilloma virus . Well we are now seeing throat cancer related to this same virus. So who is at fault, those who ignore God’s warning or God? God took his hands off man and gave him free will and somehow we think we know better than God!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/19/12 - 07:26 am
Tparty, you can poke fun all

Tparty, you can poke fun all you like but God does heal without the help of doctors. A few years ago I was sick and decided to make a yearly trip to see family anyway. Probably should have stayed home but I only get to see them once a year so I went. Once I arrived I continued to get worse and I was in severe pain. I could hardly breathe without extreme pain and could hardly sit for any length of time. I needed to leave the next morning and didn't have time to go to a doctor and not being from there didn't want to go to the hospital. My uncle who is a very devout Godly man, asked if he could pray over me. Sad to say but even though I love God and consider myself a "good Christian" I have to be honest, I had my doubts that it would help. But as he prayed I knew in his heart he was sincere and I felt the presense of the Holy Spirit as he prayed over me. By the time I left the reunion that evening my pain was gone and I made a 9 hour trip home the next morning, pain free and had NO discomfort on the drive home.

So you can doubt and think it's silly or stupid but I KNOW my God heals and it wasn't because of some man who has studied medicine and wears a white coat.....it is because of an AWESOME Father who wears a crown of glory! I thank God for his healing power and no amount of ridicule and mockery will every convince me that He is not the one that healed me.

Techfan
Techfan 12/19/12 - 09:23 am
How about a before and after

How about a before and after x-ray of a broken leg? That might convince me.

TParty
TParty 12/19/12 - 09:32 am
"Tparty, we have illness

"Tparty, we have illness because man sinned and illness is one of the consequences of sin!"

Everyone is a sinner huh? Well, I'm sure that will comfort families that have lost and a newborn due to illness and deformities that prevented their child living 24 hours, or even dying in the womb. And I'll have an answer now in the future for when people go through the worse of times when losing a sick child.

And next time the pot comes around for a donation for Malaria, I'll pass. I'll put a bible in there saying they need to stop sinning in other countries, especially those sinning children.

And- I'm glad you went to homosexuality when Jesus, an unmarried man traveling with a group of dudes (even had a favorite he loved more), never said anything about man and man action. The same laws that talk about man on man also speak of clothing having mixed fibers and cutting of your hair being a sin. But, whatever.

DanK
DanK 12/19/12 - 09:40 am
Pray for yourself

There is no reason that a supernatural being would be required to create the universe. Throughout history, humans have attributed any natural phenomena that they do not understand to the willful hand of some magical being. But saying that is the answer, just because you don't understand the real reason is just an admission of lack of knowledge.

If prayer comforts you, if you believe that a supernatural being is hanging around just waiting to respond to the requests of believers, by all means pray. I wish you the best, Ms. Gillespie.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/19/12 - 09:45 am
"But saying that is the

"But saying that is the answer, just because you don't understand the real reason is just an admission of lack of knowledge."

Conversely, saying that there is no God, because you can't prove it, also shows a lack of knowlege. There are many things that can not be proven scientifically ......yet....but we keep persuing them. God is no exception. To say there is definately no God is no less naive than to say there definately is. Both beliefs require faith.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/19/12 - 09:48 am
TParty....are you equating

TParty....are you equating "hanging around with guys" with "having sex with guys?"

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/19/12 - 10:13 am
me, me, me, me!!!

Hey, what about me, Sondra? I'm much worse than Jeff Miller! Will you pray for me too??? Nothing would make me feel better this holiday season than to think I will be on the prayer list of every good Christian in the CSRA.
Come on, Sondra, I want to feel the love too!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/19/12 - 10:22 am
Nothing like the

Nothing like the condescending attitude of the so-called tolerant non-believers.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/19/12 - 10:33 am
Humble

Are you questioning my sincerity?! Doesn't that Bible of yours say something about being judgmental? Maybe you will pray that I become less condescending? Let me know so I can wait for the earth to move....

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/19/12 - 10:45 am
X-rays proof

and 100 doctor statements and some would just claim the x-rays were Photo-shopped.

You can not win a discussion on Religion, if the person does not even have a basic belief in any GOD, let alone the GOD All Mighty.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/19/12 - 10:50 am
Why would anyone waste prayer

Why would anyone waste prayer on you EEL you've already made your choice? According to this religion called christianity you're going to hell-but of course you don't believe in that so it is meaningless to you. That's fine with me, so keep your opinions to yourself. Maybe I should turn the tables and start attacking secularist as they have the religious the last 5-7 years I've noted here. This would be fun -and just too easy. The letters of late are really getting tedious and boring. Religions maynot be the panacea some invision in regard to prayer, etc. but you'd be hard pressed to say science has offered any better. It has always been a two-edges sword (nuclear power-nuclear bombs) and often created as many problems as it has solved. But I like an America with divesity of opinions, beliefs, etc. I can live with atheist, buddhist, muslims, jews, pastafarians (LOL) just as long as they can live with me. For over 40 years I held to atheism, but I was always polite to the faithful, respected (what I perceived as ridiculous)their beliefs, and basically didn't care about their or anyone else myth. But morality develops and likely religiosity too.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/19/12 - 10:52 am
The bible states not to

The bible states not to "judge" which isn't the same as "discernment".

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/19/12 - 11:09 am
Bizkit

Get real--Praying for the lost is in Christians' DNA; we're the ones they most want to convert! The biggest difference between Christians and atheists is that atheists don't try to convert Christians. We really don't care what you believe! Christians are the ones constantly trying to impose their value on others--banning abortion, trying to prevent same-sex marriage, and so on.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/19/12 - 11:14 am
Why YES EEL...that "Bible of

Why YES EEL...that "Bible of mine" DOES say something about being judgemental. It encourages it. "Judge not lest ye be judged" is not a commandment to NOT judge, just to not be a hypocrite.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/19/12 - 11:16 am
"Christians are the ones

"Christians are the ones constantly trying to impose their value on others."

Hmmm...why single out christians. Why not point out that Muslims will have women killed if they get raped?

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/19/12 - 11:51 am
NOt convert-if that were so

NOt convert-if that were so everone would be christian-but to spread the good news and you make a choice-which you did (as I). But EEL it would be same argument from you regarding about homosexuals-its biological and in their DNA. Note the God gene hypothesis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_gene
But we all know now that a trait isn't purely genetic but is influenced by environment and epigenetics. This would explain why (in late 40s) a secularist would suddenly change and become spiritual. I don't know how old your are but you maynot be immune either-beware of mercury because it is know to activate latent genes-hee,hee,hee. I admit many christians don't appreciate the freedom they have is in turn based on others freedoms too. I don't see homosexual getting off the gay marriage band wagon and they equally want to impose their values on others. Touche'. Dang it correlates when I started eating sushi-ah it is mercury. Reminds me of Pastafarian correlation of pirates and global warming-ARRRRRHHHHHH. Hee,hee,hee.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/19/12 - 11:18 am
" The biggest difference

" The biggest difference between Christians and atheists is that atheists don't try to convert Christians."

Really? This billboard would seem to prove otherwise.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/19/12 - 11:21 am
HA is correct and since

HA is correct and since Madeline Murray Ohare this interest group has been fightin' and organizing as much as any church to spread their message.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/19/12 - 11:48 am
So we see there is no

So we see there is no difference between a biologically driven conservative christian wanting to inflict their beliefs on others and a biologically driven progressive homosexual wanting to inflict their beliefs on others. This is the stuff of evolution isn't it-these conflicts are usuually solved by political process or war (civil war) and violence as the local Marxist Godoy keeps talkin' about. Christians forget to give Caesar his due-we aren't being persecuted and have freedom of religion, we have to tolerate other freedoms we find disgusting as much they our religion they may find disgusting. Both sides seem so rabid they would kill the others freedom.In religious terms, Revelations state that govt and all leaders will be corrupt anyways so I don't see choice and political parties of any matter. Revelations also warns Christians for not keepin' their eyes on the ball, and addresses all the misgivings of his bride-the Church. Basically stating the divided churchs are divided over false doctrine and not keepin' their eyes on the ball. I hope you know what the "ball" is.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 12/19/12 - 11:54 am
As usual, [filtered word]?

First, you were cured of arthritis and a "serious disease"? Alcoholism, perhaps? Well, that's an easy one to prove. Show us your arthritis x-ray(s). Oh wait, do you have your own x-ray machine or would that be a hospital x-ray? I bet S.G. "conveniently" left out the "stay at the hospital" part. Prayer has been scientifically proven not to work. Without a long write-up, look up the Templeton Groups report in an April 2006 article from the American Heart Journal. By the way, the Templeton Group - a group with a PRO-religious bias, thought they were going to blow up the prayer thing with their $2.4 million dollar study and it blew up in their own faces!
Secondly, did she just call Jeff Miller ignorant? Maybe S.G. should read Matthew 7:1-2 and Romans 2:1 - you know, that part about "judging other people."
But worst of all, and even worse than this letter if you can believe that, is the fact that the Comical prints letters like this that are hypocrisy-filled. Facts anybody? The Comical puts ANY pro-religious letter in the paper and damn the facts.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 12/19/12 - 11:54 am
As usual, [filtered word]?

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/19/12 - 11:58 am
Well tis time to get all

Well tis time to get all mushy-much out of character for me-but I have changed-evolved into a christian. LOL. We all share our humanity, human condition, which connects us all. Secular humanist and people of any faith should all come together sometime during the year (why not now) to say despite any differenece-hey dude or dudette I care about you. It tain't that difficult. I love all y'all in a platonic way (and maybe more EEL if you're a smokin hot babe< hee,hee,hee-I need some Rosary beads or somethin'-hey Christ was tempted) and hope life is treating you well. Merry Christmas, Happy holiday. Either way the message is love and peace. Love and peace-dude and dudettes.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/19/12 - 12:38 pm
Merry Christmas

I still want to know if you atheists have a Christmas Tree.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/19/12 - 01:08 pm
I've known and still do a

I've known and still do a number of atheist who attend church. Go figure.

grouse
grouse 12/19/12 - 01:15 pm
If prayer worked to cure

If prayer worked to cure illness, the hospitals would be empty.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/19/12 - 01:17 pm
"If prayer worked to cure

"If prayer worked to cure illness, the hospitals would be empty."

The answer to prayer is not always the answer you want.

playlikethunder
playlikethunder 12/19/12 - 01:34 pm
@ Humble...8:48 am post ,

@ Humble...8:48 am post , good one.Touche' for you .
EEL, you are a prime example of a psuedo-intellectual that thinks you have all the answers, at least for yourself, because as you know atheist do not sway believers to their point of view,right? Your "elitist" attitude aside, how is it you know specifics about the writings you mentioned had you not been aquainted somewhere , sometime with the Bible. You are in more need than than many because you have eyes to see,ears to hear yet you do not.
Prayer is hope to many, comfort to many,a joy and celebration of thankfulness for many,an expression of relief to many, a gut wrenching cry for deeply needed help for many, but one thing it is not- for your jokes and mis-directed snideness.Yes,that's judgemental, but it is what it is to me, and I'm a work in progress,slow progress, but progress. Bizkit mentioned M. Ohare, and we all know her own flesh and blood killed her out of greed...that in itself is something to wonder.
May you be listening for God's call.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/19/12 - 01:35 pm
@ DanK "There is no reason

@ DanK "There is no reason that a supernatural being would be required to create the universe."

Required? No there isn't, but the fact that He did, so us poor examples of humans could have a relationship with Him is pretty Awesome....In my opinion.