First, get to know God

Regarding Jeff Miller’s recent letter “Example shows prayer fails” (Dec. 4):

It makes some very interesting reading when one who does not know God tries to understand God and His relationship with His people. I have known God for 18 years and I do not understand everything God does and does not do. I personally have had many of my prayers answered, and I am waiting for answers to others.

If anyone wants a better understanding of God, one should first get to know Him. The first step is to accept Jesus Christ as Lord. Then the word of the Lord will become clear. I refer the sincere seeker to I Corinthians 2:14: “But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”

As for Texas Gov. Rick Perry and his prayer partners, I reference II Chronicles 7:13 and 14: “When I shut up heaven and there is no rain, or command the locusts to devour the land, or send pestilence among My people, if My people, who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”

I humbly submit to Mr. Miller that God’s conditions have not been met.

Sonny Rutherford

Augusta

specsta
specsta 12/14/12 - 02:23 am
Who Is God Really Scolding?

"...if My people, who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”

Let's start this humble turn-around with the religious folks who condemn others, deceive unbelievers with man-made dogma and whose true God is the almighty dollar.

Get rid of the religious charlatans and deceivers and yes, healing will come.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 12/14/12 - 07:25 am
Another good letter

about prayer and knowing God. Jeff Miller's letter opened the door for many followup responses and opportunities to share the gospel, and I thank God for that.

Specsta, the humble turnaround you mention does begin with religious folks. That's why God says "my people" in 2 Chronicles 7:14.

jic
jic 12/14/12 - 09:01 am
enough

can we move on, already? this editorial was written Dec 4. The city is crumbling under pot holes, trains and traffic jams and all you can do is argue about prayer? Can't the AC come up with religious commentary on the religion page for once? Enough! Keep your religion to yourself!

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/14/12 - 09:45 am
Religious fevor starts wars

and sells newsprint. You can always start an argument with religion and politics. Follow the money. Look to Watchman Broadcasting for inspiration. If ever there was a real life "Elmer Gantry and Sister Sharon" snake oil show, this is it.

No wonder the non believers can debate evangelism. Many people of faith have sold out to the world of social acceptance and filthy lucre.

"the Pharisees love money...."

Separation from the world system is the "true test" of discipleship. "deny your self, take up your cross daily and follow me".

Today's version. "seek and hold all you can of the world wealth, feed your ego, shun the cross with its guilt of sin and follow whom ever can entertain and make you feel good."

You cannot serve God and Mammon. For you will either love the one and hate the other.

God asks today, "where is your treasure"? Where is that that you value most? Is it in the First Bank or in the Kingdom of God? God is both Pro Choice and Pro Life. He gives us a choice and He can give us life everlasting. We can choose to abort ourselves.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 12/14/12 - 09:48 am
specstra

Its called "repentance". Thats what we do ! It sounds as if we may have hit a nerve!

Romans 2:14-15 Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/14/12 - 09:54 am
As for Christians just shutting up.....

going away, we are told by our God that "we shall be witnesses of Him after that the Holy Ghost has come into our lives". Not, "you may choose to be a witness". We who have accepted Jesus Christ as Savior do not have a choice. Our conversation must turn to Almighty God and His Son. Our conversation must go toward the everlasting and away from the temporal. Our conversation must always be Jesus Saves.

ALL we like sheep have gone astray.... some choose to come back to The Shepherd.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/14/12 - 10:03 am
Nobody is forcing you to read this stuff, JIC

So your grousing seems more like a hit dog hollering.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/14/12 - 10:11 am
And Specsta

Just because Christians are human and therefore have flaws, weaknesses and often fail, it doesn't change anything about God or what has been revealed to mankind over the past many millenia about His nature and His plan for each one of us whom He called into being, and with free will to boot. Your problem with Christianity arises from the misdirection of your focus.

And yeah, there are plenty of charlatans who call themselves Christians but more resemble sleazy snake oil salesmen, and they are an embarrassment and a tragedy, IMO. But even Jesus Himself ate with sinners (ie, even prostitutes) and tax collectors (ie, high profile rip off artists and predators of the weak).

Which begs the question, who are you?

faithson
faithson 12/14/12 - 10:20 am
-od' conditions...

What did Jesus Teach?

While he complied with the good in the religion of his fathers, he did not hesitate to disregard man-made traditions of superstition and bondage. He dared to teach that catastrophes of nature, accidents of time, and other calamitous happenings are not visitations of divine judgments or mysterious dispensations of Providence. (UB)

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 12/14/12 - 11:23 am
Gibberish, Extraordinarie

This letter pretty much devolves into self-delusion, as in "you have to believe in the Kool-Aide or the cyanide will kill you".

"Invisible Pink Unicorns are beings of great spiritual power. We know this because they are capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them."

By the standards for belief I've seen here, these True Believers should all be worshipping Xenu...

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/14/12 - 11:33 am
WOW!

Sonny, buddy.... Let's just admit if you were born in Georgia in the late 20th or early 21st century, you believe in the correct God. CONGRATS!!!

duffstuff
duffstuff 12/14/12 - 01:02 pm
Atheists/Non believers

You say God only answers prayers from those who are saved. (AKA Christians) I realize these ideas are backed up by certain Bible verses but I want to pose a more difficult question?

Then how is one who is a non believer suppose to arrive at the decision to become saved in the first place if they don't ever see the work of God in their everyday life?? If a person who currently holds an atheistic world view prays about something, and God refuses to listen because they aren't already Christian, then doesn't that reinforce the atheists belief of "God does not exist?" In order for someone to convert their beliefs, don't they need to be given a reason to do so?? How is one to escape religious dogma without a little help from the divine? The overwhelming majority of us end up believing what we were taught growing up and what our environment dictates. This cycle of psychology usually holds firm throughout our entire life (most of the time). Like I will probably never become Muslim unless I'm given a very specific reason to do so. I'd have to see the power and truth in that belief system before I would even think of reading the Quran or going to a Mosque. You can tell me to read the Quran all day long but to me its just another religious book. So I ask my fellow Christians...Why would someone choose to become Christian without a strong sense of divine verification first??

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/14/12 - 01:27 pm
IMO, and this is just my own

IMO, and this is just my own perception of scripture, no one comes to the Father unless God convicts your heart and you submit to his calling and want to draw near to Him. There has been many an unsaved whom God has convicted and called to Him but those individuals have turned a deaf ear and walked away.

I find the conception of an atheist praying for anything a little mind boggling because who would they be praying to since they do not believe God exist. If a person prays to God, isn’t he no longer considered an atheist? Secondly, once an atheist makes the decision to listen to the calling of God and accept the free gift of eternal salvation, they have acknowledged the existence of God, therefore God will open their spiritual eyes and mind to those things of God and answer their pray (maybe not the way they would like but the way He sees best for them).

I believe God hears all prayers, for God sees, hears, and knows everything. The question is, how does God decide to answer those prayers? If we have sin in our heart, does he choose to ignore our pleas until we repent. What about pride, is it possible He delays answering until we humble ourselves? In the case of an unbeliever (not necessarily an atheist) God may choose to answer a prayer to reveal Himself to that unbeliever to draw that person closer to Him.

“Why would someone choose to become Christian without a strong sense of divine verification first?? “

They won’t.....but just because they witness Christ like behavior or attitudes (hopefully what you mean by divine verification), does not always mean someone will choose Christ.

duffstuff
duffstuff 12/14/12 - 02:55 pm
To InChristLove I'm not sure

To InChristLove

I'm not sure you're absorbing the full point of what I'm saying. First off to say that atheist don't or have never prayed is a complete misnomer. People aren't always atheist because they've never attempted to believe in God. A vast majority of them are atheists because they have found no verification/reason in their own life to believe in God. That doesn't mean however that some of them haven't tried. Others of them have just been taught to believe otherwise. In order to truly believe anything though you must first become skeptical. If you've never been skeptical then you simply fall into the category of religious dogma or indoctrination. (Christians can be indoctrinated too btw) Lets say someone grew up in an atheist household and was taught to have very sound reasons for that belief or even another religion for that matter. How are they to become convinced to convert or pray to a Christian God? You seem to think someone has to become a christian before they can truly pray or believe. But the sensible order of reality is this: You believe therefore you convert, not the other way around. And in order to believe one must see a reason to believe it. (This is just basic common sense and the failure to address this idea is to fail to address how reality works) We can say these nice things and quote Bible verses all day long but that doesn't mean anything to an outsider of the religion. It means no more than a muslim quoting the quran to you. To you, the quran is just another religious book. I bet you would require alot of spiritual verification in order to change your beliefs would you not? You're not just gonna do it because some stranger told you to read some religious book or that you've viewed people of that faith being good people. You say alot of nice religious things but you fail to address the complexity of what I'm actually speaking of...

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/14/12 - 09:56 pm
Duffstuff, I have fully

Duffstuff, I have fully absorbed your meaning and I believe you might need to go back and read my comment again. I don’t believe I stated that atheist don’t or have never prayed so I fail to see how it could be a misnomer.

My first question to you is what is prayer. For a believer, prayer is communication with their Heavenly Father, listening and talking to him. If an atheist is someone who does not believe in God then how can they pray to a Heavenly Father that they don’t believe in. At some point a person who use to be an atheist has to decide that maybe there is a God out there and then decide to pray to that God……so then they aren’t an atheist are they.

(DS) “How are they to become convinced to convert or pray to a Christian God?”

Good question….By the conviction of the Holy Spirit and by witness of Christians through their actions and sharing the Word of God. How do we become convinced of anything……if you like spinach and you want me to like spinach, how do you convince me….you offer it, you talk about how good it is, and you encourage me to try it. I either become convinced it’s good and try it, or become convinced it’s not worth trying.

(DS) “We can say these nice things and quote Bible verses all day long but that doesn't mean anything to an outsider of the religion”

You are exactly right, that is why the Holy Spirit has to convict the person of their sin, and that is why the Holy Spirit has to reveal the need for Christ to the lost individual……I sincerely hope you don’t think we save ourselves, or that we are the ones that save the lost, because that’s the impression I’m getting. All Christians do is spread the Word of God and live Christ Like. God does all the rest.

(DS) “You say alot of nice religious things but you fail to address the complexity of what I'm actually speaking of...”

Sorry you view my belief as “nice religious things” and maybe I don’t actually understand the complexity of what you are speaking about but I’ve done my best to answer your questions.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/15/12 - 12:41 pm
DS

Have you attended a Christian church? We invite you, please join us!

jic
jic 12/17/12 - 07:36 am
Fiat

You're right. I should give up reading the editorial pages. There is no substance. And I am certainly not interested in the fundamentalist religious views of a newspaper day in and day out.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/17/12 - 11:51 am
jic, you'll probably be happier doing that.

and I, btw, am not a fundamentalist. Not even slightly. I am orthodox, however, which is altogether different--but probably not any more to your liking.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.