Mr. Miller, meet Mr. Miller

My name is Jeff Miller. I am a minister serving in Augusta, and have done so for the past 12 years, and for the past 22 years have believed fiercely in God. I also am an occasional guest columnist in the Your Faith section of The Augusta Chronicle.

I chose to write this letter in response to a letter published in The Chronicle (“Example shows prayer fails,” Dec. 4) written by a gentleman also named Jeff Miller. Some folks incorrectly believed I had written that letter and questioned me. This prompted me to respond.

I would love to take the other Jeff Miller to coffee or breakfast perhaps, my treat, and share conversation. We could talk about religion or politics, or neither; we could talk about cars, trees, family or any other topic. I have no agenda and will not bring up faith unless he does. I simply would extend a welcome to him and make a friend. It would be neat to meet another Jeff Miller.

The Rev. Jeff Miller

Evans

(The writer is pastor of Vineyard Community Church in Augusta.)

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/12 - 02:59 pm
GAD, it helps to understand

GAD, it helps to understand it when you possess the Holy Spirit and I don't think Christ ever said "worship me or I'll punish you". You, just like all of us have a choice whether we worship God or not. He doesn't force you to. If you submit your life to Him then you get to live in His house, if you don't then you get to live with the father of this world.

If you wish to look at it as a suicide mission, fine. If a mother jumps in front of a bullet to save her child, do you view that as a suicide mission?

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/13/12 - 03:06 pm
Well ICL....

Just imagine if we had to stomach a letter from Lowell Greenbaum everyday. Thats about what I relate this constant arguing about religion too. A waste of space. Neither side is gonna agree and there is no reason to bring it up everyday and certainly no reason to print 2 lettters about it....

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/12 - 03:15 pm
Well F4therTime...... I guess

Well F4therTime......

I guess the difference is I don't consider these posts "constant arguing". I view it as a general discussion about religion and the different view points that some of the posters on here have. If you find these letters so distasteful, then might I suggest when you see one in print, to move on to another article. No one is making you read these letters for goodness sake. I believe these letters are written as a form of someone's opinion and not printed so that we have to agree or disagree with anything that is published. I rather enjoy reading the opinions of others (whether I agree or not). I suppose you only want printed something you agree to?

Yes, it seems that here lately there has been a lot of discussion concerning Christ, Religion, etc....do you THINK it might have something to do with it being the Christmas season and this time of year it's discussed more.

I see letters printed every day in the AC that do not concern me and I have no interest in......do I go on here and landblast the AC because they are posting several articles that I find boring.....geeze.

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/13/12 - 03:28 pm

None of these letters have a thing to do with Christmas....nice reach though. It's all about divide and conquer and who's powerful being is the bigger smiter or non smiter. What makes you think I read the letters? I can read the headline and know what the letters are about. I don't give either side credence. They both are a waste of space that could be taken up with letters that actually solve problems and issues that mean something....and it's lambast and I have done no such thing. I just find it a waste of space and contrary to what you feel I have the right to express my opinion on any article I wish...geesh...

Cap'n Obvious
Cap'n Obvious 12/13/12 - 03:50 pm
WHO'S ACTING MORE CHRIST-LIKE?

WHO'S ACTING MORE CHRIST-LIKE?

1) The Jeff Miller who kindly invited the other Jeff Miller over for conversation?

or

2) The people who do nothing but make assumptions as to Jeff's intentions, find verses to support their piety, then share how 'true believers' would do it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/12 - 04:04 pm
LOL, I do believe you might

LOL, I do believe you might want to go back and re-read my comment. No where in there did I say these letters had anything to do with Christmas and I'm lost on this divide and conquer thing, along with who's powerful being is the bigger smiter. I believe the discussion was actually is there a God or not.....not who was the bigger one. (Oh, by the way, thank you for your correction....never was good at English or spelling).

What I said was, these discussions were more prominent now because of a higher awareness of Christ due to it being the Christmas season. God is usually discussed a lot this time of year and also around Easter, didn't you know.

I do find it odd though, if you don't read the letter and only the title, then how can you make an educated statement towards whether the letter is wasted space or not. It might actually contain some good information. You have no clue what is in the letter but you know it's a waste.....real logical thinking there.

Why is it that when someone states a difference of opinion, the other person assumes that person is denying their right to voice their opinion. Say what you have to say and if I agree or disagree, I may or may not post my opinion on it. Isn't that the way it's suppose to work.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/13/12 - 04:44 pm
ICL

ICL is a good person, IMO. He/she believes in the Christian god with all of his/her heart and he/she has his/her own personal reasons for doing so. I truly believe that if he/she found me struggling for help on the side of the road, he/she would assist me, in the same manner as the good Samaritan. ICLI, here is another sincere question: those nut jobs in the phillipines and south America who volunteer to be crucified every Easter--are they following Christ correctly and is he "well pleased" with them or are they misguided? Remember, they are Christians, the same as you.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/12 - 04:49 pm
Lambasted "Criticize (someone

Lambasted "Criticize (someone or something) harshly." ding, ding, ding!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/12 - 04:57 pm
Thank you GAD. I'm not

Thank you GAD. I'm not familar with the individuals you speak about that crucify themselves in the Phillipines and S. America at Easter. I'll have to do some research on it but I would have to say that I do not see the need to crucify ourselves because Christ paid the ultimate price....if they are some how trying to atone for their sins, isn't it deminishing the sacrifice Christ made for us. Are we to say it wasn't good enough so we must do the suffering? I'll have to get back with you after I do some reading. I appreciate your kind response and to make it easier for you.....it's a "she".

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/13/12 - 05:05 pm
nash63 - caught me

REGARDING MY SPELLING
I have hand and finger problems, so I am increasingly relying on my Dragon Naturally Speaking 8.0 (DNS8) to transcribe parts of my comments.

Some words like.

Since - sense - cents
Tide - tithe
I - eye
sight - site
are a examples of a few issues I am trying to workout.

When I said (tiding) Tithing plus extra $$$$.
We have been in 2 recent churches where a preacher determined something was going to be done, and made members feel uncomfortable each week for not joining with a 2nd tithe for his pet, not really church related, project.

While we are not currently active in a church with good Missionary priorities. We still make it a personal point to directly address a noted situation in need. Caring for the poor, elderly and disabled is also GOD's work.

Some call it "Pass It On", some call it "Hidden Angels". It is all about caring for others in need due to no fault of their own. We do this year round, not just during the holidays.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/12 - 05:05 pm
OpenCurtain, I think it is a

OpenCurtain, I think it is a wonderful thing that while you are not actively involved with a church right now you still tend to the Father's businesses. May God bless you and lead you. Personally I like the term Hidden Angels :)

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/12 - 05:30 pm
GAD, after reading a few

GAD, after reading a few articles, I find this very disturbing. It is not my place to judge these people and I'm sure they believe that this will bring healing or safety for their families. What troubles me is a comment about this being a tradition and here in I believe lies the problem. Are they doing it because it is a tradition and they have been misguided into thinking it will draw them closer to God, instead of drawing near to His Word to get closer to God.

I will say, according to scripture this is nothing compared to the horrible beating and crucifixion my Savior suffered on the cross so that my soul might be saved and for me to have a personal relationship with Him. Thank you Jesus.

You may form your own opinion but whether they are looney or sincere, if they are a child of God, then one day I will join them at home.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/13/12 - 05:55 pm
ICL

Thank you for taking the time to do the research. You are more than just a casual Christian and that's why I like conversing with you. But I do want you to understand me. Yes I am sarcastic and you even stated that is what you expected from me. It's nothing more or less than that. It's just my way. But you have to admit that there are certian things even devout Christians can't be proud of. I bring up the inquisition and Christian apologists tell me to stop mentioning christian history that took place so long ago. Ok then, what about Ireland? Protestants and Catholics are still killing each other to this day over which flavor of Jesus they believe.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/12 - 09:50 pm
Odd, everything I've been

Odd, everything I've been reading says the conflict between Irish Protestants and Catholics was and is more about social class that the matter of religion.

This hostility between the denominations continued into the present for many of the same reasons. Protestantism represents the continued presence of England in Northern Irish affairs, while Catholicism bears the stigma of being the religion of the poor, the rebels, and the socialists intent on a free Ireland.