Want to secede? Feel free to be deported instead

Thanksgiving has passed and Christmas is coming. The holiday season is when we are asked to dig a little deeper and help out the less fortunate.

Most of us are glad to help because that’s what we’re taught as youngsters.

Then there’s people such as letter writer Don Turner (“No leeches allowed,” Dec. 2), who apparently believes only people like him deserve any compassion at all.

Mr. Turner stated that he signed a petition to leave the Union. Well, he should get out of America. He has given up his right to free speech and other civil rights.

I call on Mr. Turner to be deported to the nearest Third World rat hole that will have him.

Jay Collett

Augusta

Comments (15)

smartasugarsugar
smartasugarsugar 12/09/12 - 03:37 am

isn't he a great american?

isn't that one of the things that makes America so great? I'm not saying i agree with him at all. He also has the freedom to pack his bags and take his money and opinions elsewhere. God Bless him!!!

Techfan
Techfan 12/09/12 - 06:16 am

List of right wing tweets after SCOTUS upheld the PPACA

"I'm moving to Canada. Obviously the United States doesn't know what they are doing anymore. This used to be a great country... Pretty sad."

"The supreme court upheld Obama Care. That's it. I'm moving to Canada!"

"I'm moving to Canada, the United States is entirely too socialist."

"#SCOTUS holds up free healthcare for everyone?! ***** this commie country, I'm moving to #Canada #whoswithme"

"I'm moving to Canada. RT @cruetten: This is a sad day in the history of America"

"Obamacare upheld. Looks like I'm movin to Canada! #Lawoftheland #guessnot"

Many others but a tad too much "flowery" langauge to print.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/09/12 - 07:23 am

Techfan

If you move to Canada, I'll help you pack.

agustinian
agustinian 12/09/12 - 07:54 am

Secession is Leaving

Jay,
Leaving America is what Mr. Turner is trying to do. Secession is exactly that, leaving America with 10 million of your closest friends.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/09/12 - 08:07 am

Why

would any American want to spend the time, effort and money to move to another 3 world country?
Just hang around for another 4 years and you will be living in one that will make all others look obsolete.

Jane18
Jane18 12/09/12 - 08:49 am

Deport The "Leeches"

Jay Collett, please don't tell us you do Not know at least one "leech" living off the taxpayers and receiving umpteen entitlements. I know three right off the bat, and can come up with more. I have reported them...hasn't done one bit of good. The reason folks want to secede is, America is not the America we have known, politics gets stupider and more crooked, real and legal citizens are losing rights to the illegals, etc., you know everything that is wrong happening here, admit it!! I understand Mr.Turner's frustration, we all have some to a certain extent, but, I am Not going anywhere! I just wish the "leeches" would leave(I do not fault the truly disabled, handicapped or needy children or seniors, just the lazy, good-for-nothing liars and thieves...............)

Techfan
Techfan 12/09/12 - 09:21 am

Have all of those not

Have all of those not satisfied with the US buy an island and move. If they hate the US so much that they're willing to leave, there's no way they should have use or advantage of anything the US provided. You'll have to build your own homes, roads, power grid, military bases, etc.. Most will, of course, have the advantage of having mobile homes that can easily be moved to the island of Tealandia. Don't forget your Confederate flags and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/09/12 - 09:59 am

You don't have to leave the

You don't have to leave the country to secede. All you have to do is move your money. It's already happening. I have already seceded from the tax rolls. No point in risking my savings if the tax man is going to take the earnings but not share the risk. My main reason for investing was to leave something for my kids and grandkids but no point in that either with the DEATH TAX coming back. So I will earn less, pay little or no taxes, slide what I can to my kids under the table before I go, and live off of what I have. Nationally, some are in a holding pattern to hear what the final rates will be but in California they just raised their tax rates and the "rich" KNOW what their state tax taxes will be and the bottom is already falling out.

"California's cash balance, receipts and disbursements in November 2012, showing total revenues were $806.8 million BELOW (-10.8 percent) projections contained in the 2012-13 State budget."

Down 10.8% in one month. Now THAT is secession. California raised their tax rates but they will get less revenue and that is exactly what will happen nation wide if they just raise taxes on people making $250K. In that scenario the revenue will go down. The only way they can see a small increase in revenue is to raise taxes on the middle class, which is why Obama is trying to force the sequestration deal. Obama knows that there is no significant income in raising tax rates on the rich. That was a campaign slogan, not a plan that actually works. Taxes are collected when money moves in the economy and the vast majority of the money that moves is in the middle class. The middle class gets a buck and spends that buck they same week. It gets taxed everytime it changes hands. That is where the tax revenue is. The "rich" buy some stocks one year and sell them next year or in five years. The money doesn't move often and cannot be taxed. Oh you might get a little from dividends but then again, there is always tax free bonds where they get income and the tax man don't get a penny. Income tax revenue is all in the middle class...always has been and always will be. Anything you hear to the contrary is a simply a campaign slogan chanted by the greedy looking for somebody to pay for everything.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 12/09/12 - 10:05 am

Leeches__Jane18

I can think of one. The company that wants taxpayers to build the TEE Center and they keep the profits. You have heard of them, right? I think the owner of this paper is part of that operation. Or is it okay when corporations leech off taxpayers.

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/09/12 - 10:11 am

instead of threatening

instead of threatening secession, perhaps one should consider applying for dual citizenship.. many countries to choose from out there, if 'Merica gets too full of "freedom" for one's taste

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 12/09/12 - 03:27 pm

If you put Jay Collett and

If you put Jay Collett and Don Turner in a room together, I bet one would be hard pressed to tell them apart....a couple of mashugana for sure!

allhans
21985
allhans 12/09/12 - 09:07 pm

I don't get the letter

I don't get the letter attempting to relate succession and deportation. The two are in no way the same thing.
Succession...making a personal decision to withdraw.
Deportation..forced to leave your country and go back to whence you came.
Something' like that.

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/09/12 - 10:26 pm

Oh puhlease...

I can name just as many left wing nuts who said they were leaving too. There are nuts on both sides. Sadly, the real majority of Americans in the middle get stuck paying for both ends of the spectrum with no real representation. As far as Obamacare goes? If you want me to buy into any laws then any politician that passes them should have to obey them as well. Our forefathers would take the current members of congress out back and hang them if they were around.

Bruno
Bruno 12/10/12 - 09:57 am

letter wrong

"He has given up his right to free speech and other civil rights."

No. No he has not.

KSL
KSL 12/10/12 - 01:41 pm

This letter writer comes

This letter writer comes across as a judge and jury of who gets to reside in America. Disgusting!

Techfan
Techfan 12/11/12 - 06:32 am

See: secession vs succession

See: secession vs succession

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 12/14/12 - 11:46 am

Trial Separation

If he were educated, he could go to Cloud-Cuckooland.

I say, "Send him to Detroit!"

Mom arrested after daughter beating

A mother is facing charges after police said she hit her daughter with an extension cord and then made her wear a sweater to hide the injuries.