No supreme being exists

I knew that the letter from Jeff Miller on Dec. 4 (“Example shows prayer fails”) would provoke some pretty severe reactions from Christians in the community.

To Gil Ward (“Empty prayers aren’t granted,” Dec. 5): How can he assume that the prayer let by Texas Gov. Rick Perry was an “empty prayer”? From what I read of that prayer, it sounded pretty sincere to me.

To Paula Still (“Writer misunderstood prayer,” Dec. 5): A letter can’t be blasphemous if it is prayed to a nonexistent being somewhere “out there.”

There is a website that asks the question: Why doesn’t God heal amputees? In the history of prayer, an amputee has never had a limb replaced through prayer. Yet we are told that God has healed everything from cancer to paralysis.

Surely in the history of Christianity, there could be found a group of sincere believers whose faith can move mountains and whose prayers could cure everything on Earth from disease to war to hunger. Yet it has never happened.

Any rational person can conclude that there is no supernatural being watching over us. In the end, humanity is on its own for good or bad.

Ronald Humphrey

Mitchell

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/10/12 - 08:28 am
There are only two camps

There are only two camps according to Christ, himself. You are in one or the other. That inbetween neutral place does not exist. God's words, not mine.

To the letter writer I say, "Get thee behind me, Satan, in the name of Christ."

Bruno
Bruno 12/10/12 - 10:04 am
If you don't believe in

If you don't believe in something it does you no harm when someone else does. I don't believe in bigfoot but it doesn't effect me in any way that there are people out there that do.
The problem, as I see it, is that the most vocal atheists hold on to their lack of belief with religious zeal. Not only do they not believe in a god but they don't want you to either. It is a strain of bigotry.

Jane18
Jane18 12/10/12 - 10:58 am
GOD Disbelievers

Bruno, I understand what you are saying, but in the big picture, look at our country. Look at how, because of people like Madelyn Murray O'Hare, our educational system has gone backwards, not only in kids not learning as much as they should, but shootings, disrespectfulness, and the low morals of our young people. Look at Hollywood, television, music, most medias, even our government. Maybe some of the worst things to happen to us are the "precedents" argued by lawyers that have fought against our basic laws and what they really mean. Once again, I am reminded of the "one bad apple in the barrel". Are all these people atheists? No, but soooooo many are! And an atheist loves to break down our beliefs! >Someone asked what was the difference between King David and Bill Clinton, I would say....... at least a dozen lustful affairs! I am not excusing David, his affair with Bathsheba, or sending her husband Uriah to the front lines in a war, but, David repented to GOD for what he had done. Ole' Wild Bill continued his lustful affairs through out being governor and into The White House. And(supposedly) has not wandered out again since being "caught". I am not judging Billy Boy(most everyone knows what he did), that's The Father's business!

Bruno
Bruno 12/10/12 - 05:43 pm
I don't think that you can

I don't think that you can blame all or even most of the issues with society on a lack of belief any more than you can blame them on religion.People are the problem. I know some atheists who live exemplary lives. I know some who use their atheism as an excuse their horrible behavior. The same is true for many supposed Christians.

My point is that if you don't believe in something there is no need to attempt to ridicule those who do. They are no more nor less intelligent or reasoned than you and in fact your attempts to denigrate them show your lack of confidence in your position.

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 12/14/12 - 09:22 am
Agnostic in a Christers' World

Had to wade through a series of "Thank Jebus for this food" drivel this week at work holiday feeds. Didn't get up and shout down the True Believer spouting their cant, even though there were a multiple of other-franchise True Believers there.

So, I ask all the Jebus Freaks here, how would you KNOW if an agnostic/atheist/HEATHEN had their religious and civil rights to be free of your blather at a public gathering trampled on (paid for by the gummint) when the offended parties were just too polite to tell you to just shut up and eat?

But, then, that's how bullies operate.

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 12/14/12 - 09:22 am
Agnostic in a Christers' World

But, then, that's how bullies operate.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...