No supreme being exists

I knew that the letter from Jeff Miller on Dec. 4 (“Example shows prayer fails”) would provoke some pretty severe reactions from Christians in the community.

To Gil Ward (“Empty prayers aren’t granted,” Dec. 5): How can he assume that the prayer let by Texas Gov. Rick Perry was an “empty prayer”? From what I read of that prayer, it sounded pretty sincere to me.

To Paula Still (“Writer misunderstood prayer,” Dec. 5): A letter can’t be blasphemous if it is prayed to a nonexistent being somewhere “out there.”

There is a website that asks the question: Why doesn’t God heal amputees? In the history of prayer, an amputee has never had a limb replaced through prayer. Yet we are told that God has healed everything from cancer to paralysis.

Surely in the history of Christianity, there could be found a group of sincere believers whose faith can move mountains and whose prayers could cure everything on Earth from disease to war to hunger. Yet it has never happened.

Any rational person can conclude that there is no supernatural being watching over us. In the end, humanity is on its own for good or bad.

Ronald Humphrey

Mitchell

rebellious
20916
rebellious 12/09/12 - 03:08 pm
GAD

Little full of yourself in your 10:53 post point #2, dontcha think?

The Chronicle should pay you???? Any decent human being would try to talk someone off a cliff, even when they don't believe the person has much to live for...

The problem with believers in God and Christians specifically is they understand the finality of eternity and the consequences of nonbelief in this life. Their flaw, as you see it I am sure, is in caring for your eternal life. So yes, probably 10 to 1 they will come on here in hopes they can plant the seed which will convince you to turn your life over to Christ. And you will, most likely, continue to defend your position more than try to persuade. The difference between the two positions is if you are wrong and they are right, you lose. If you are right and they are wrong, who cares! And they will have lived a life trying to give people a hope much brighter than the dispair and futility you paint as an afterlife.

Many times after fruitless debate, I adopt and follow Matthew Chapter 7, Verse 6.

God Bless

myfather15
myfather15 12/09/12 - 03:24 pm
@Giantsallday

Just as Jane said, judgement starts with the TEACHERS of God's word. They shall be held responsible for all those they have cheated and led astray! There is NO ONE more critical of pastor's, preachers and priests than God himself. There are too many scriptures to even list, of God denouncing so called teachers of God's Word. So, it all boils down to the INDIVIDUAL human being to discern between the false teachers and true Men of God, using God's word as a basis to help them determine who to listen to and who not to.

So, if someone sits in a Church being ran by these false teachers, who are so obviously not of God, those individuals will be held accountable. The teacher will be held to an even higher standard but the individual who CONTINUES to listen to their vile blatherings, will also be held accountable. Remember this, God doesn't send out beggers!! If a Church is teaching His True Word, they won't need to go on TV begging for $1000.00 "Love donations", they will have more blessings (Including financial) than they can count.

Also, if you see a "Church" who accepts CREDIT CARDS, they are not of God, I promise you that. God doesn't teach usury, He actually teaches the exact opposite. He tells us to avoid usury, saying "Ye shall lend, but ye shall not borrow." We are suppose to give 10% to God, but if you're having financial problems, you don't have to use credit to give to God. I assure you, He doesn't need or want it that bad. If you don't have money in the bank, 10% of ZERO is ZERO. So give God what he really wants...YOUR LOVE and Alligence!!!

This is just common sense, which it appears many people do NOT possess these days. They can't even determine right from wrong, or a false teacher from a True Teacher. You would be surprise to learn how many people still use Credit cards to send tythe to God. WOW!!! So, use a little common sense to determine who is false and who is true, then don't have anything to do with the false teachers. But don't blame God for their false teaching, they do that with their free will which was gifted to ALL, by God. Don't listen to false teachers and keep searching for the True God and teachers of His Word.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/09/12 - 03:27 pm
youre missing the point--I'll give you another chance

People who believe that the bible is the infallible word of god HAVE to believe those things. My only wish is that christians would read the bible and conclude what kind of supreme being they are being taught to believe in. And if people say, that the OT doesnt count anymore b/c jesus did away with all the evil stuff (stuff that no rational human being would do today), well--IT'S BEEN 6,000 YEARS WHY DOESNT GOD COME OUT WITH BIBLE VERSION 2.0 ALREADY!! Should be easy for an almighty being--I think it would clear up a lot of confusion. As far as faith--wouldn't buy a car based on faith, wouldn't buy a house based on faith, wouldn't spend all my life's savings based on faith. Nor would I commit my eternal destiny based on faith either.

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 12/09/12 - 03:39 pm
Oblahdee, Obaldah

"The evil dictators you listed also in fact banned and/or rewrote religion to meet the needs of their Governments. Then killed millions at will."

It's the fact that 'evil' is a purely personal prejudice that reduces your message to banality.

History is written by the victors (ask any American Indian).

BTW, I wouldn't say No Supreme Being Exists, only that nobody has come up for a good reason why one SHOULD exist besides using Argument from Personal Assertion.

John Allen Paulos' Irreligion is a good source book, and he's the same author who stroked the old timers fancy when he talked about Innumeracy of the population, although the old timers didn't realize he included them in the pot, too. Being the egotists they are (everything was better in my youth), they really didn't get it.

And, for the dog metaphor, The Daily Beast had a nice item, recently, about how dogs live in the day, and that's why they always seem to be happy, and why they seem to be good companions. That may not be exact, but it captures the spirit...

myfather15
myfather15 12/09/12 - 03:40 pm
@Rebellious

That's the problem with the athiests and extremely liberal crowd. They are COMPLETELY full of themselves, believing themselves to be individual gods, rather than believing in a higher being. They are sooooo highly educated by MANS educational system, you can't tell them anything. They actually do believe they are soooooo much smarter than us simpletons who believe in a magical sky god. You can see it in their demeaning comments. The vast majority of them CAN NOT just disagree with people of faith, they have to call us names and demean our intelligence. They call us idiots, uneducated, simpletons, ect. They claim we have a blind faith, all the while they have a blind faith in themselves and MANKIND, who has failed us over and over.

I truly believe when Christ returns, we will find that EVERY ailment that human beings have endured, will have been caused by other human beings. This is not Biblical, but just an opinion of this commentor. I believe we will find that MAN has caused all these "diseases" human being endure. Whether it be from chemicals being sprayed on our foods as they are grown, or to medications being prescribed to people to "Heal". How many times do we see a new medications being advertised to heal something, only to see 2 years down the road, lawsuits being filed against the company because of "side affects"? I believe deep in my soul, God created everything good and we will be shocked to find out how much mankind has messed us up. But keep in mind, this is just the opinion of an uneducated simpleton.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 12/09/12 - 03:44 pm
It's hard to buy something on

It's hard to buy something on faith when you are morally bankrupt...

saywhatagain
saywhatagain 12/09/12 - 03:46 pm
In a lot of trouble

As a Christian, if I'm wrong and you're right, what difference does it make for either of us in the final analysis? However, if I'm right and you're wrong, you're going to be in a lot of trouble. At this point you may retort, "I'll take my chances, if it's all the same to you" and there's the rub.....the same problem since Genesis...pride...I want to be my own god.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/09/12 - 03:46 pm
Funny Giant, a recent Science

Funny Giant, a recent Science article indicated people who making important decisions of what car to buy or house or some other pressing issue were happier when the just went with their gut feelin' rather than a cautious methodical and cognitive choice. Studies indicate voters tend to vote gut feelin' rather than by logic. Last four presidential elections seem in line with that. Humans are intuitive animals not intelligent ones. I completely understand atheism as I was raised in such an environment and held those beliefs for over forty years. For my own reasons I find solace in my present "beliefs". I defend every persons right to that belief (atheism) and their right to voice a "complaint" against another belief. But that is either way on that two way street-both opinions should have a voice. Just as long as both can be allowed to exist and maintain those freedoms. I fear suppression of either voices. A question I like to ask is "do you believe in "universal truth"? A question I changed my opinions like the tides over the years. When I say universal truth-I mean an overall "reality". Take into consideration possible multiverses and dimensions in a physical world as well as supernatural phenomena like love, faith, hate which isn't the same as sex, anger, or intuition.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/09/12 - 03:59 pm
A universal truth could be

A universal truth could be presented as humans evolved-just like all life. But what does that mean-well it means that a human dying is no different that a bacteria, plant, mouse or fly. There is no such thing a murder-that is biblical nonsense. There is nothing special or dignity to a human life-once again biblical nonsense. Killing people by the millions is just evolution. Homosexuality, pedophilia, necrophila, any ole philia are just biological sexual preferences-no immorality, no crime, no perversion, nuttin'. The great religions have been a compass for altering this meaningless animal life and teach a selfish social mammal altruism, peace, and love-and molded are concepts of laws and justice. You can't just say I believe certain things are "right" and certain things are "wrong" at an egocentric capricious whim-that is the same accusation against christianity being based on the capricious whims of the biblical authors.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/09/12 - 04:02 pm
so when is christ returning,

so when is christ returning, exactly? When was the last time a dead person came back to life?

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/09/12 - 04:12 pm
That's the kicker. That's the

That's the kicker. That's the "proof" he was tellin' the "truth" as he always said. The great plaques of Egypt during Moses time can be explained by science-it has rained frogs before, dinoflagellates and a Red tide, etc. But the coming back to life-after three days-(people have come back to life after hours of electrical shock or deep cold water drowining) is the "miracle" that OBVIOUSLY convinced a lot of people to believe his "truths" by seeing that now people believe by faith. Look at all early christians who were persecuted for the crazy belief, then all the Saints who were martyred for this crazy belief-seems to defy logic doesn't it. Whatever happend 2000 years ago must have been a very powerful event to have such a lasting effect to drive human behavior in arts, science, culutre, etc.

rebellious
20916
rebellious 12/09/12 - 04:15 pm
GAD

Ah, you don't really believe that, do you? That whole Christ returning thing.....With a mighty sound and a host of angels? Nah, not you!

Free Will, my man, Free Will!

myfather15
myfather15 12/09/12 - 04:22 pm
No man knoweth the day or

No man knoweth the day or hour, but the Father in heaven. But we know the generation, the generation of the Fig Tree, mentioned by Christ in Matt 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21.

Yes, many people have came back from the dead, they've even made TV shows about it and some are an awesome testimony. Also, you might wanna read the book "90 Minutes in Heaven".

But, one thing people who haved died and came back have in common is they ALL said there was something beyond the death. An existence that seemed spiritual. Even the non religious people said when they died, there was a life afterwards and the presence of something great, that they could not explain. They didn't call it God, but they say you can feel something awesome present. Wow, what a testimony, even from non believers. But, just keep believing in nothing, and you shall receive nothing!!

myfather15
myfather15 12/09/12 - 04:52 pm
@Giantsallday

"As far as faith--wouldn't buy a car based on faith, wouldn't buy a house based on faith, wouldn't spend all my life's savings based on faith. Nor would I commit my eternal destiny based on faith either."

No? So do you know that you shall be gainfully employed for the rest of your life? I don't know your life, but are sure you aren't one injury or company closing away from unemployment and foreclosure? Maybe you inherited money from your mommy and daddy and don't to worry about such things, but many do. Many people live by faith daily. Faith they will stay healthy, faith they will be able to pay the mortgage, faith their vehicles will continue to run, faith the government doesn't collapse, faith their children will come home safely from school. Unless you can PROVE these things shall come to pass, then you are living on faith. Maybe not faith in a god, but faith none the less. So, you and all of us live much more on faith than you care to admit or know. Yes, there are certainly things we can do to help secure a successful future, but there is NOTHING certain. Faith??

You wouldn't commit your eternal destiny to faith? According to you and others, we don't have an eternal destiny. After the end of our flesh life, thats it, there is nothing further. So what do YOU commit your eternal destiny too? As another poster on here said; I believe in God and an eternal existence in Heaven. If I'm wrong, whats the consequences? I've still lived a wonderful life, not harming others, treating people with respect. I have a wonderful wife and children, good friends. I've had many a BBQ in the back yard, enjoyed summer days at the pool. I've absolutely enjoyed life and done well. So, If I'm right, after all this I've still got a perfect world to look forward to, present with God and void of any human being who would harm anyone. No murderers, rapists, drug dealers, child molestors, theives, evil dictators/world leaders, threats of world annihilation, threats of global warming, ect. It will be a perfect world that I shall take my place in.

What if you're wrong? Then you've enjoyed this life, but then it's over for you, end of story. Thats very sad! Because you've denied God publically and actually made fun of Him, your very existence shall be done away with, as if you never existed. Very Sad!! So, tell me again what the down side of my faith is, if I'm wrong!! Now, tell me what the down side of your faith is, if your wrong? Because you DO have faith, it's just faith that there is nothing after this life. That is faith my friend, because you CAN NOT prove there is nothing after this life, PERIOD!! You can no more prove there is nothing after this life than I can prove there is. We are both living by faith, just a faith in two seperate beliefs. Again, there is ZERO downside to my faith, but WOW is there downside to yours!!

myfather15
myfather15 12/09/12 - 05:04 pm
In closing

In closing, what I'm saying is that if somehow tomorrow, we could prove beyond any shadow of doubt, there is no God, I wouldn't change a single aspect of my life. I wouldn't go out and start robbing, stealing, killing, sleeping with other men, doing drugs or any other activities against the Bible. Why? Because those are things I have no interest in doing. I don't want to harm or do any wrong to anyone for any reason and I don't have desire for other men.

But, through Biblical prophecy being fulfilled, seeing miracles in my own life and knowing the presence of God is in my life, I KNOW God is real. It's just unfortunate many will never change and accept Him, when there is no down side, besides giving up a few personal fleshly desires.

carcraft
carcraft 12/09/12 - 05:14 pm
I recently listenedto a talk

I recently listenedto a talk by a Neuro Surgeon who does surgery for epilipsy I hope I don't misquote him. He stated that a seizure can start at one side of the brain and travel to the other before the origin can actually be identified so that the seizure locus is contralaterial to where the seizure appears to start. Now science can't explain it so I guess since it bends your brain into a pretzle no need to worry huh?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 12/09/12 - 05:29 pm
No Creator ?

The complexity of all living thing is beyond anyones ability to truly understand how it could have come to be. The only explanation is a creator. The bible never attempts to convince one that there is a creator. The Bible assumes this is evident in the creation and tell man who the creator is.

A host of biochemists and other scientists have tried for over a century to determine how life evolved from nonlife. Such a quest is absurdly impossible, for the simplest imaginary self-replicating system would be infinitely more complex than the most elaborate machine ever designed by man. Life can come only from life.

We are accountable to God because of the infinite complexity of the world around us.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

carcraft
carcraft 12/09/12 - 06:15 pm
Here is a list of paradoxes

Here is a list of paradoxes that willl twist your mind a little, yet no problem accepting their reality! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Paradoxes God really should not be that hard!

carcraft
carcraft 12/09/12 - 06:18 pm
I read the Bible about King

I read the Bible about King David and the hot little honey he had the affair with. What is the differance between King David 3,000 years ago and Bill Clinton? Maybe if Bill Clinton listened to the lessons of the Bible he would have been better off !

allhans
allhans 12/09/12 - 06:51 pm
Folks that have not

Folks that have not experienced the incredible Being that is God is missing so much.
I don't now why they are against something they say is not here but it is their choice. Typical - they seem to be angry because of what they call a non-entity. Amazing. huh..
.Me thinks they might be jealous of us.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/09/12 - 07:03 pm
Since GAD is not on line now,

Since GAD is not on line now, my prayer is that when he (GAD may be a she and if so I appologize) does return he will see this message. Know that I have been praying for you these past couple of days and will continue daily. Also know that I have shared my concern for you and after today I will not be the only one praying for you.

My prayer is that Christ will be on you like white on rice. He will convict you to the point that you are miserable and that He will reveal himself to you in such a mighty way that there is no denying who He is, the creator of this earth, a loving and forgiving God, one who heals where no one else can, one who is still in the performing miracle business and a God who loves you so immensely that He would go to His death to save you.

At times, I'm sure Christian posters on here have been over zealous in our faith for Christ and I can only speak for myself but it is because we KNOW the love of Christ and have witnesses His powerful love. We want the same for you but must remember that the choice has to be your or else there is no free will. If you pass from this world into eternity without Christ, the only one responsible will be yourself. May God show His Awesomeness (is that a word?) to you.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/09/12 - 07:42 pm
GiantsAllDay - Answer to your question

Question:
WHY DOESN'T GOD COME OUT WITH BIBLE VERSION 2.0 ALREADY!!

Answer:
Actually GOD did about 2012+ or - years ago.

It is called the New Testament.

While not version 2.0, it is an addendum.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/09/12 - 08:30 pm
ICL

Does it have to be Christian? Can I go with Judaism, Islam, Hindu and or Buddhism? Seriously, I believe you to be a kind person. There are 2 kinds of christians: Those who say "I'll pray for you" which you can tell they really mean that I'm better than you, you're wrong and I'm right and I'm looking down my nose at you. You, kind person, are the other type, the people who truly care--so thanks for that.

KSL
KSL 12/09/12 - 08:45 pm
One has to wonder why people

One has to wonder why people who believe in a supreme being are so bother some to atheists.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/09/12 - 08:47 pm
GAD "Does it have to be

GAD "Does it have to be Christian?" Not sure what you mean by that but there is only one creator so it's your choice. I do believe that Almighty Yahweh will reveal himself and thank you, I do truly care.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/09/12 - 09:43 pm
Faith, you say?

"GAD...."Nor would I commit my eternal destiny based on faith either."

Yes, you have done exactly THAT, just faith in the wrong "one".

Like, ICL, said, May the Lord get on you like white on rice!

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/09/12 - 09:46 pm
Fundamental Arminian, you

Fundamental Arminian, you said it all and quite beautifully.

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/09/12 - 10:18 pm
Stop with the...

pro and con letters on religion. People will never agree. We all believe whatever we believe and should respect each other's beliefs. Surely there are letters the AC gets with a better debatable content?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/10/12 - 01:11 am
^5 to Jane's 0714

I understand challenging those believers who use religion to manipulate others, but again, why do people like the writer of the LTE feel obliged to challenge the faithful just to pick a fight?
I don't get it.

Techfan
Techfan 12/10/12 - 05:04 am
Journal of Discourses 3:93

"They are COMPLETELY full of themselves, believing themselves to be individual gods" I'm just guessing, but I'm betting you just voted for a guy who believes (literally) in your little quote.
See: Journal of Discourses 3:93

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...