Don't tarnish church bells

Regarding the article “Bells at church called too loud” (Nov. 29): Maybe the bells are not appropriate 24 hours a day, but it seems to me that people choose where they live and are free to leave if the traffic gets too heavy or the train shakes the building or “the bells are too loud.”

I miss the church chimes in the small town where I grew up, and wonder if they can still be heard on Sunday mornings about 9. Our Lady of Peace in North Augusta has a bell; when I heard it recently it flooded my mind with memories.

Maybe we all need more reminders of how important the church is, especially this time of year.

Brenda Reese

Belvedere, S.C.

burninater
burninater 12/08/12 - 03:06 am
Maybe we all need more

-------
I would imagine your religion is robust enough that it doesn't need to wake people up in the middle of the night to prove itself.

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/08/12 - 07:42 am
burn, i'm pretty positive the

burn, i'm pretty positive the bells don't ring at night.

i find church bells to be rather soothing myself. live a block away from a church. sure beats the sound of gunfire in sand hills or the storm warning system from the Augusta country club

anyway
some posters on here are acting like everyone who lives at Maxwell house gets a reduced or subsidized rate. I can from a handful of people i know who live there, that that's not the case.

and when you try to live within your means people act like you don't want something better for your life...

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 12/08/12 - 08:58 am
Great sound

I truly enjoy the scene when the Church reminds those in the public square that she is alive and will be in the public square for another 2,000 and ever more years

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/08/12 - 11:21 am
Especially at this time of year?

Because we all know there is a war on Christmas that must be fought. Scroll down to the bottom to get Jon Stewart's take on the war on Christmas

dichotomy
32016
dichotomy 12/08/12 - 12:35 pm
Okay, I tried to stay out of

Okay, I tried to stay out of this one but it keeps coming back. Let me preface by saying I am not anti-christian or anti-church. Ready on the firing line.

I used to work beside a church on Reynolds that had bells. I am also a smoker which means I was frequently outside during the day. I will admit to fantasizing about having an RPG or similar rocket propelled explosive device, especially around noon.

I often thought that had that been a mosque with a loudspeaker system that chirped "Allahu Akbar" every fifteen minutes and a call to prayer every hour that increased in length with the hour of the day or night that there would be such an uproar you wouldn't believe for the powers that be to stifle the noise.

I understand the point about moving near something that has been there forever and then complaining....and that is a valid arugment. But some may not have much of a choice. Just a reminder that one person's comforting chimes may be another person's annoying, sleep depriving torture.

Would it not be possible, and a christian gesture, to quiet the bells between, oh say, 10:00 P.M. and 6:00 A.M.?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/08/12 - 01:05 pm
Great post dichotomy

By religious tolerance, what people really mean is "my religion". Remember that episode in family guy where Brian asks Lois, "wait a minute, you're moving to Texas in search of religious tolerance"? Substitute Augusta for Texas.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 12/08/12 - 01:40 pm
Ding - A - Ling

Maybe those bells are being rung by an invisible force - you know - the devil (a.k.a. Satan). I mean, how do you know it's NOT Satan? I've NEVER seen Satan nor have I ever seen God - so maybe it's a cage match or a hell in a cell match between the antipodal evil and good? Me, I just think it's track #1 from 1980's AC/DC's Back In Black album on Atco Records - "Hells Bells." I mean, I have NO hard-core scientific proof...but since when do you need any of that with the religious or 99% of the CSRA's citizens?
But here's what I really would do. I think there is a "noise code" in most towns or cities like 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. (or something along those lines). Get a $20 db meter from Radio Shack, take multiple readings, document your times and present your [evidence/proof] to the "powers to be" (police dept....Sheriff's Dept....that church...Perry Mason...the Guardian Angels from New York...it don't matter) and let "the law" handle it. Then agagin, you could just take care of business yourself - if you know what I mean.

grouse
grouse 12/08/12 - 04:51 pm
It's noise pollution. Their

It's noise pollution. Their right to swing their bells ends where my ears begin...

itsanotherday1
41937
itsanotherday1 12/08/12 - 05:31 pm
No it doesn't grouse; if

No it doesn't grouse; if those swinging bells were there first.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/08/12 - 06:52 pm
Oh, grinch, I mean grouse.

Oh, grinch, I mean grouse.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 12/08/12 - 07:02 pm
Church bells

in a civilized nation - if you live near there long enough you will not even hear them anymore. I used to for many years. And now I have clocks, they strike - I don't hear them - but miss them when they stop!!

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 12/08/12 - 07:33 pm
Noise Pollution? You mean

Noise Pollution? You mean like that donk next to me at the traffic light with the trunk rattlin' like two midgets in the back seat wrasslin?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/09/12 - 12:43 am
@ Dichotomy

When you were outside smoking and hearing the bells, it was in the daytime. If you go back to the original article grousing about the bells, they were complaining about daytime ringing. There has been no testimony published in the Chronicle about nighttime churchbell ringing. Don't you remember that the main complainant was outside in the afternoon grilling steaks when he said the church bells bothered him?