Workers acted shamefully

My wife and I went to a store recently to buy some needed groceries and get photos copied. While at the checkout, there was a couple ahead of us in motorized wheelchairs getting what appeared to be their groceries for the month. They may have been a few years older than my wife and I; he wore a “Vietnam Veteran” hat.

They finished checking out, and there was no one there to assist them with the two carts of groceries. I saw the frantic look in the eyes of the cashier as she begged the manager for help for the couple, and a passing cashier who told her “I’m on break” and walked off.

This infuriated me, and I told the cashier that I would assist them. I am a veteran and I was not going to let anyone down, much less this former veteran and his wife in wheelchairs. I helped the wife put up the groceries and waited on her to retrieve her husband, and thanked him for his service and her for her service to him.

I will be shopping elsewhere, and not at that store anymore. I could not believe that they have no more personnel to assist the customers who need help the most. No one offered help, save my wife and I and the cashier who was going to close her station down and help them.

I know this is the season to help, but we should all bear in mind: There for the grace of God go I.

Mark D. McCall, Ph.D.

Augusta

nowhine
nowhine 12/05/12 - 11:16 pm
Store's Name?

It would be nice to know the name of the store that provided such shoddy service and a little more info on the lazy, uncaring cashier so that the management of this store had an opportunity to correct behavior such as this.

YeCats
YeCats 12/06/12 - 01:01 am

The good Dr. should call them out.

Young Fred
Young Fred 12/06/12 - 05:03 am
It probably wouldn't matter

It probably wouldn't matter much the stores name. It is simply a sign of "the times".

The passing cashier either didn't care or had no clue as to the proper etiquette for the situation, not to mention even a passing thought of thankfulness.

No, we shouldn't “judge” the cashier, we should judge the culture that formed her/him.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/06/12 - 07:21 am
Every now and then, life

Every now and then, life throws you a pitch where you just HAVE to do the right thing.

smartasugarsugar
smartasugarsugar 12/06/12 - 07:21 am
poor service

One problem in America is we have allowed and tolerate shoddy work and products. we really don't look at the long term. the food we eat in over abundance usually has very little nutritional value. the cars we buy that are 50% plastic, for good reason, have not gone down in price at all. we consistently pay for shoddy or way over priced products. as the old saying goes "there is a sucker born every day". it would make a difference if WE actually cared for our fellow man. if WE knew what store and stopped using it, they wouldn't be in business. look at how many car companies are no longer around, and look who is. some because they produce a good product and others because they are killing peoples wallets to stay alive.

whyme
whyme 12/06/12 - 01:29 pm
Cheers and Boos

I'm big on contacting businesses, big-name or small and local, to praise employees when they've done a good job or I've purchased a product that is a hit. I also take time to notify the management when either a worker is less that professional or a product doesn't meet my expectations. When doing so I try to be clear in my compliment/concern, call or write with the right amount of emotion (no screaming on the phone, for example), and even if it goes nowhere, I feel that I've done my part to improving the future of customer service. Too many people want to make their satisfaction/ complaints known anonymously or to their friends and families but this doesn't help any of us.

Jane18
Jane18 12/06/12 - 03:02 pm
why me's comment

I do the exact same thing as you, was going to say the same thing. I don't play around though, I say something to the local business management, and after getting home, I call the headquarters of that business, if it's chain. Really good service should be praised and bad service needs to be confronted and changed!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 12/06/12 - 05:01 pm
Kudos

to you Dr. and Mrs. McCall, based on your information. My wife has had three catastophic surgeries in the past 13 months and the ONLY help she has recieved from any retailers is PUBLIX.

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 12/09/12 - 03:02 pm
Capitalist Heaven

I know of many supermarkets that are embarrassingly ready to assist everybody with their groceries. Even able bodied people are escorted to their vehicles.

Worse service than before is what you have to expect, though, from an optimized economy,...

BTW, pretty awful that any God would purposefully confine those people to wheelchairs, as you imply by saying it was some God's grace that kept you out of one. Also, that It would inconvenience you by making you help this person out, too.

Maybe you'd like to let us know which God it was who put them in wheelchairs so we could all stop praying/filling collection plates for It?

Kaspar Hauser, ThD (Hon.)