Writer misunderstood prayer

Regarding Jeff Miller’s letter of Dec.4 (“Example shows prayer fails”), God is not “the guy”! He is Almighty God, the Creator of the universe and all that is in it – including Mr. Miller.

His letter borders on blasphemy, and it makes me sad that Mr. Miller seems to think “the guy” is some genie who immediately grants our every wish. A lack of knowledge of His Word fosters this sort of self-serving mind-set.

In Isaiah 55:8, the prophet wrote: “’For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways’, says the Lord.”

Elizabeth Barrett Browning eloquently penned: “Earth’s crammed with Heaven, and every common bush afire with God; But only he who sees takes off his shoes ... .”

My prayer for Mr. Miller is that he comes to realize God’s love for him, despite his vitriolic attack.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/05/12 - 01:14 am
This will be my only post for

This will be my only post for this LTE. I'm just going to sit back and read (for once). Mr. Miller you do realize that the biblical penalty for blasphemy is death, right? I swear there are some residents of Augusta, GA who scare the living crap outta me. Myself, being a compassionate guy, will give Miller a reduced sentence--he has to wear a scarlet B on his chest in public for 30 days. That is what the Christians did in the 1600's. Sometimes I have to check the top of the chronicle to make sure it says 2012. 'cause it usually sounds like 1600 to me.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/05/12 - 07:35 am
It appears GAD you are not as

It appears GAD you are not as well versed as you stated in the scriptural teachings of the bible as you stated on last nights thread. If you were, you would know that the penalty for Mr. Miller's sin has already been paid. All he has to do is recognize his sin, repent, and accept the forgiving sentence from Jesus Christ. No need to die, no need for your scarlet "B".

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/05/12 - 09:29 am
Paula's prayer....

You may hope all you want that that your prayer, like those at the Texas "revival" will be answered, but don't count on it. After all, Paula, as I read recently somewhere, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are my ways your ways...."

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 12/05/12 - 09:35 am
Doink!

Did Paula Still just call God "the guy"? Why yes she did. And she wants to call Mr. Miller blasphemous? WOW - talk about a lack of respect !!!
It's funny that within 24 hours The Augusta Comical prints not one, but two letters antipodal to Mr. Millers position. I don't know Mr. M but I bet he didn't send in his letter the day before it got printed - ya' think?
And Paula Still comes up with the old standby - you know - the religious argument that Mr. M "misunderstands prayer." She forgot the "he's taking it out of context" excuse or explanantion too. Oh man, that's what tickles my duodenum, jejunum, and pylorus all at the same time....the religious have all the answers. Me, I rather would stick with science that doesn't have all the answers but struggles and fights daily to get the answers. Gee whiz, is Paul Broun M.D. (...evolution is a lie from the pits of hell...) going to contribute his two-cents to this donnybrook? I quote Paula Stills last sentence: "My prayer for Mr. Miller is that he comes to realize God's love for him, despite his vitriolic attack." First of all, Mr. M showed that prayer (actually, it was Slick Rick Perry that showed that prayer fails) don't work. Secondly, how could somethng that doesn't exist (God) express his love for him. I mean, if I said I hope the unicorn expresses his love for Mr. M you people would call me nuts - yet - there's as much proof for the unicorn as there is for God. Oh man, what a trip, ya'll......what a trip!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/05/12 - 10:18 am
yeah, EEE

That's why we keep sending them up, hoping that all our prayer and time spent looking in the Lord's direction will change our will, our hearts and desires to resemble the will and heart of the Lord. That's what helps us understand why some prayers aren't answered the way we had hoped they would be. Any parent understands how this works.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/05/12 - 10:24 am
FL

Thanks for your explanation. Let's see if I have it right now. If I had prayed for President Obama's reelection, we all could conclude his win reveals "the will and the heart of the Lord"?

grouse
grouse 12/05/12 - 11:00 am
Re letter:...but the Bible

Re letter:...but the Bible says in other places, that ask and it will be given...

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/05/12 - 11:07 am
EEL, President Obama is our

EEL, President Obama is our president because God has allowed him to be. For what reason is beyond me but God is in control and for whatever reason He has allowed this, we have to accept it. It could be to teach us some kind of lesson or to teach President Obama something but for whatever reason, it will eventually bring honor to God's name. We may not see it in our lifetime but nothing God does comes back void. So if you prayed for Obama to win and he did, then you can conclude you won and we lost . Truthfully, in the end, God is the one who wins because whether you or I agree, His will be done.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/05/12 - 11:51 am
ICL

Actually, Obama won despite God, who as everyone knows, always votes the straight Republican ticket....

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/05/12 - 11:55 am
Whatever you choose to

Whatever you choose to believe EEL.

Jane18
Jane18 12/05/12 - 12:00 pm
Paula Still's Letter

You have tried to tell some................that counts for you. But remember, there are some in a stupor, a state of "slumber", and then there are those that absolutly have turned their backs to GOD...........

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/05/12 - 12:52 pm
@EEL, 9:24

You got it. As much as so many of us dislike that reality, it didn't happen without the Almighty's allowing it. You might believe, as I do, that it is among the more serious of wake-up calls for America, in that this wretched excuse for a president (IMO) actually reflectes the will of such a significant percentage of American voters. I think he (God) wants us to understand with total clarity what we have allowed to happen to our nation, even after all the ways we have been blessed over the past 236 years, and longer.

There is an overwhelming amount of work to be done to bring about a change in the character and moral issues that plague so many Americans, but it is an absolute certainty that the work must be done and that the Almighty expects us, who believe in him and desire his will for America, to do that work with his Holy Spirit empowering us to accomplish his desires for each one of us. His plan includes all of us, and it comes from his perfect love for each of us. How could that not be a good thing?

I don't suspect you care much for my answer or respect it, but there it is.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/05/12 - 04:45 pm
Fiat

I respect your right to believe whatever you want to. In fact, what you believe is none of my business. The reciprocal of my view often does not exist among Christians, however, who are convinced it is their duty to change my beliefs and seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to "save" me. That goal is just what Paula Still professes to pray for regarding Jeff Miller. Why don't you all "respect" the values of non-believers? Can't you simply leave us alone? Oh well, it took years to overcome the conviction of Christians that I should not be able to buy a bottle of wine on Sunday. Finally, I can--a small but important victory over the moral busybodies....

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/05/12 - 05:10 pm
EEL

I would never, ever try to force my beliefs on you, nor would I spend an inordinate amount of time "trying to save" you, as if I even could save you. I simply and only believe that people deserve to have enough information to make their own informed decisions. I would expect that any person of reasonable ability and maturity would look at all the possibilities available, insofar as they could, and judge for themselves. After all, that is exactly what I did and what led me to my faith, my worldview and cosmology.

I'm not a fan of blue laws myself, but there are some behavior choices that I sincerely view as reprehensible. It's not because of some reflexive hatred of certain people or even of their choices, but because of the results those choices have in the lives of the people doing them, on the people who love them and on society as a whole. Murder, rape and armed robbery are kind of the big, most obvious examples, but what about adultery? Think about what that kind of behavior does to the relationships in a marriage, and even more, what it does to the trust and security of the children of that union. It changes everybody and is something that must be overcome. It is a wound.

Many other actions fall into that same kind of category. Christians who condemn people are falling short and missing the mark regarding their responsibility to their fellow man. We really are supposed to be living in such a way that people see there's something more there than is usually seen in people. And we are supposed to stand by the road and let people know the bridge is out ahead.

That last is where people like yourself tend to get ticked off. People who are racing headlong toward their goal often have no interest in being diverted from their path, even if there is genuine danger ahead that they don't see. They still get to make their own decision, but what kind of people would we be, and what would you think of us, if we didn't at least try to alert others of the danger we see?

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/05/12 - 05:28 pm
EXCELLENT explanation Fiat!!!

EXCELLENT explanation Fiat!!! Thank you.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/05/12 - 06:38 pm
A small point

Sometimes GOD answers prayers, sometimes he waits until he is sure the person/group praying has repented.

Since there is a GOD, the prayer has been heard.

GOD's will be done at GOD's Speed. No more, no less.

Tots
Tots 12/05/12 - 06:53 pm

Fiat,at 4:10pm....

KSL
KSL 12/05/12 - 07:51 pm
I resent the heck out of

I resent the heck out of eel's accusing all Christians of trying to force their beliefs on others. That is simply not true.

Eel, I could care less about what you, GAD, or grouse believe. Likewise, I would appreciate the same respect. I consider religious beliefs, or the lack of them, a very personal matter. I was fortunate to marry a person with a similar attitude. I, like cg, do not "speak" much about religion on this site. My beliefs are mine and are not a the right fit for everyone here.

KSL
KSL 12/05/12 - 07:57 pm
I also wonder why they focus

I also wonder why they focus on Christians. I never see their comments directed at Muslims, in particular, radical ones. Or any other religious groups, except for Jews. But then that is the same God.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 12/05/12 - 08:06 pm
you are using the same wide

you are using the same wide brush you've accused EEL of using, KSL. You can't have it both ways.

KSL
KSL 12/05/12 - 08:42 pm
pal

How can you say that? For all you know I may be an agnostic.

KSL
KSL 12/05/12 - 09:09 pm
I am not at all criticizing

I am not at all criticizing eel for her beliefs. She is free to have them. Look closely at the comments she makes, though.

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 12/09/12 - 02:22 pm
... "What astounds me is the

...
"What astounds me is the total lack of respect the disbelievers, the ultra liberals, have for those with differing beliefs. Compare that attitude to the attitude of people who thought(think) one race is superior to another."

Oh, and religions that are, by definition, all bigot factories because anyone who doesn't believe in the same fairy gods are going to be sent to some kind of Hell ARE tolerant? Religions that continuously proselytize and implicitly threaten people with the same kind of Hell if they don't convert ARE tolerant? Religions that can be used to justify slavery and racist hatred based on their holy comic book ARE tolerant?

My experience is it takes a true boot to the face by True Believers to rouse an agnostic, and it is the blissful ignorance of the True Believers of the insults they continually foist off on people who don't drink their Kool Aid that makes them not realize that the brick lobbed back at them came from their own hands to begin with.

Oh, and in case you didn't realize it, me not believing in whatever unicorn you're riding is not illegal, but racism IS. So, to imply you getting your knickers into a twist because a bugaboo, fictitious 'liberal' horselaughs at your beliefs is somehow comparable to racist discrimination lends even MORE weight to the impression I get that religious followers are continually missing the point that is it THEIR thoughtless behavior, and that of their fellow True Believers, that provokes most exchanges to begin with.

For example, quite frankly, I didn't care that some acquaintances wouldn't vote for Obama because he was too liberal, but when they followed up that thought with "... and because my preacher told me he was a Muslim... ", there's that religious bigotry burbling to the surface again, which, according to you, people with a reasonable education and working frontal lobes are not allowed to laugh mostly because "you" don't realize how ignorant and closet racist that is.

The good thing is, in the 1950s it was Stevenson couldn't be trusted because he was divorced, then Kennedy couldn't be trusted because he was Catholic, then McCain couldn't be trusted because he had a mixed race child in SC, then homer-sexuals couldn't be trusted in the military... Looks like all those religious shibboleths are falling as the US slowly advances into the mid-20th century. Unless the religions take over and move us back to the cultural stone age... or Uganda & Russia.

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.