Empty prayers aren't granted

On the Dec. 4 Opinion page, Jeff Miller stated that prayer failed (“Example shows prayer fails”). He refers to a prayer meeting held Aug. 6, 2011, at Houston’s Reliant Stadium. Evidently, from his letter, the prayer meeting was for the purpose of praying for America’s problems – its debts and unemployment. He concludes that because God did not change all of this, prayer failed.

I do not have all the answers, but I believe in prayer. First of all, let’s look at some facts. God didn’t put America in this difficult situation. We did it to ourselves. America has chosen to remove God from every influence He has had on this nation. Remember, the Democratic Party this year even wanted to remove His name from its platform!

Let’s be real! Our basic society and government is anti-God in every aspect of its operation and in our daily lives! We love sin! From every scope, we are living with complete rejection of everything that is decent and moral. In fact, we make fun of and joke about those who honor God and His Word.

Prayer did not fail. God does not answer empty prayers.

America does not need to pray. America needs to repent!

Jane18
Jane18 12/05/12 - 11:41 am
Mr. Ward's Letter

Very good, I'm happy you tried to give an answer to Mr. Miller's letter. Unfortunately, no matter what we say or how many times we say it, there are some people that will never "see" or "hear", some were just not supposed to! To specsta and the ones that speak of the people that say and do unchristianlike, those folks are hypocrites(play actors). There are many of them, but a difference between them and people trying to live CHRIST-like is very evident. Unlike yesterday, this is my only comment on this subject, I am not going to be drawn in to something by an unbeliever or in general, a smart-aleck...........they love to stir things up!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/05/12 - 11:49 am
I have an idea

How about not quoting a book when you're trying to defend the same book? I think I'll write a book and then get people to follow it and quote my book when anyone challenges me. Hey, Joseph Smith did it. He's been long dead and has 14,000,000 followers today. But I'll have to put some really crazy stuff in my book, however. You see, the newer the religion, the crazier it has to be. The Mormons came along in 1830 and had to come up with some really crazy stuff because the normal crazy stuff was already taken by the bible. Then came Scientology and they had to come up with crazy crazy stuff because the normal crazy stuff and the really crazy stuff had been taken by the Mormons and Christians. And it goes on and on.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 12/05/12 - 11:55 am
GAD

Great post: yours is a voice of sanity in a sea of craziness.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/05/12 - 11:59 am
Isn't that like saying you

Isn't that like saying you can't argue evolution using SA Goulld's Structure of Evolutionary Theory because it is a bible of evolution written by an evolutionist? The same abilities of logic and reason evolved both science and religions-they occupy different domains and serve different purposes. The fact some have mindblindness to others beliefs is the reason why people are homophobic too-just another form of discrimination. You can be a Pastafarian, Rastafarian, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist,etc. in America-yeahhhhhh!!!!!!!!! America is all filled up with crazies-tain't it grand.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/05/12 - 12:01 pm
Jane

Our founding fathers "stirred things up" and I'm glad they did. If they hadn't our USA would never have came to be. Did Jesus christ stir things up? Hold on, let me check my new testament....... Why yes, yes he did! I believe you just declared unbelievers followers of Christ! People in christs day who were satisfied with the status quo were the Sadducees and Pharisees. People today who are satisfied with outdated, meaningless traditions are like the Sadducees and Pharisees. I'm sending this discussion board to the thinking athiest's web site. Seth Anderson will get a kick out of it.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/05/12 - 12:01 pm
Define sanity. It can't be

Define sanity. It can't be the actions of our president and congress in dealing with this fiscal cliff????????? hee,hee,hee. Merry Christmas or Merry Green-Eyed Spaghetti Monster-your preference-or just live long and prosper.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/05/12 - 12:06 pm
Bizkit

I haven't read the work you quoted but I bet it references outside sources. The bible, on the other hand, references nothing outside of itself. I wonder what % of Christians even know how the bible even came to be canonized.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/05/12 - 12:15 pm
Oh I know many christians who

Oh I know many christians who have never read the bible. Still we use books to support our arguments and the writings of man-which are all equally susceptible to error. I would make an equal waqer that most people misunderstand evolution too-especially in the US. Mankind stumbles through history and the reason scientific progress is slow and mankind has been though dark ages and periods of enlightment. There are outside sources of writings other than the bible too-like Maimonides, etc.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/05/12 - 12:28 pm
BizkitI

I think during this Xmas season it's fitting to mention that Nazareth probably never even existed when Jesus was supposed to be alive. There's no evidence for it. Google: Nazareth, the town that theology built

The gospels do not tell us much about this 'city' – it has a synagogue, it can scare up a hostile crowd (prompting JC's famous "prophet rejected in his own land" quote), and it has a precipice – but the city status of Nazareth is clearly established, at least according to that source of nonsense called the Bible.

However when we look for historical confirmation of this hometown of a god – surprise, surprise! – no other source confirms that the place even existed in the 1st century AD.

• Nazareth is not mentioned even once in the entire Old Testament. The Book of Joshua (19.10,16) – in what it claims is the process of settlement by the tribe of Zebulon in the area – records twelve towns and six villages and yet omits any 'Nazareth' from its list.

• The Talmud, although it names 63 Galilean towns, knows nothing of Nazareth, nor does early rabbinic literature.

• St Paul knows nothing of 'Nazareth'. Rabbi Solly's epistles (real and fake) mention Jesus 221 times, Nazareth not at all.

• No ancient historian or geographer mentions Nazareth. It is first noted at the beginning of the 4th century.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/05/12 - 12:32 pm
The bait is stinky

But, still, lots of bites.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/05/12 - 12:43 pm
GAD....let's review the whole

GAD....let's review the whole truth....

Only 1% of the archaeological sites have been excavated, and to treat the Galilee region (or the Nazareth area) as "fully excavated" is misguided and incorrect and typical of the kind of information used by those who do not believe in scripture to try and make their view appear to be the truth.

An assortment of pottery has been found in the Nazareth area dating from 900 B.C. to A.D. 640, suggesting the area was occupied at various times over a 1500-year period. Among these finds, there is no evidence that contradicts the view that Nazareth was a small historic village during the time of Jesus. Even if there was no material data uncovered at Nazareth from the early first-century A.D., it does not eliminate Nazareth as a historical city. Don’t’ forget that Nazareth was a small village (about 3 miles south of the thriving city of Sepphoris) with a small population. Furthermore, it is not uncommon that Nazareth’s location moved somewhat over time.

It is unrealistic to expect such a small agricultural village to leave massive amounts of material behind as do large cities like Beth Shan and Jerusalem. To demand such evidence from Nazareth would be unrealistic and it is not uncommon for small villages to just disappear over time since later Roman and modern building projects have been known to erase traces of earlier settlements altogether.

Current archaeology has not yet revealed the exact place of first-century Nazareth. This is hardly proof that Nazareth did not exist!

PrayN4U
PrayN4U 12/05/12 - 12:47 pm
He's a on time GOD

He's a own time GOD does not mean our time. God answers "all prayers" when in His own time. Some prayers may take a while to answer and some are answered immediately. We make the mistake of giving GOD a time schedule. The Bible says to wait upon the Lord. As far as being "Religious", there is a big difference in religious and Christianity. Religious is to do something over and over. Christian or Christianity is having a personal relations with God, a way of life. The root word is "Christ".

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/05/12 - 12:48 pm
Of course there is evidence

Of course there is evidence for other cities in the bible too, and just like there are complete fossil records of many animals there are others with little record-like bats. Lack of evidence doesn't negate bats evolved no more than a lack of evidence "yet" or maybe never for the city in question. Remember the city of Troy was once a myth too.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/05/12 - 12:58 pm
For thirty years archaelogist

For thirty years archaelogist ignored the bible (from 1973 to last decade) so really there was a hiatus where the biblical accounts weren't addressed by science. Discoveries of the city of Troy, etc made scientist realize they were being jaded. It is like Intelligent Design has been just a clever creationist argument, however now that we have intelligently designed life science has to recognize the feaasibility that life can be intelligently designed-of course not by a supernatural cause but an organic one. If "we" can now design and create life then someone else could have also. Although I would argue we haven't really "created" life-more like deconstruct and reconstruct in a new novel way. But anyhoo science explore phenomena with a mechanism-life can be intelligently designed and there is evidence to support this fact. Not that I believe that or in aliens from outer space either.

burninater
burninater 12/05/12 - 12:59 pm
Blind arrogance

"God does not answer empty prayers."
--------
I know what God does and does not do.

I know when God thinks a prayer is empty.

Proof? It's true because I said so.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/05/12 - 12:59 pm
the bible says the same

the bible says the same thing, doesnt matter if you read it or I or Bill or Martha. What your own thoughts decide to bend and twist is of your own responsiblity and will have to be something you answer for.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/05/12 - 01:11 pm
Bizkit

God himself went with the organic model and abandoned the 6 day model early on:

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 12/05/12 - 02:01 pm
GAD - There only a few people

GAD - There only a few people in the CSRA with your ideology. I have a feeling as to who you are...

What do you have against God? Seriously? Why not attack other religious parties as well? Why this religious practice? Just curious.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/05/12 - 02:14 pm
Christians have been and

Christians have been and continue to and will continute to be attacked. This is the good reason why so many Christians get upset at reading such material. Once you know God and feel the love, you tend to have a habit of taking up for Him as you would anybody else you love and care about. Some people just like to see people get worked up about things. But I truely believe we are all entitled to our own beliefs, I just wish that if people were so curious and had so many questions they would just conduct the research on the subject. But be careful for non-republicans, because with research you might just become a republican :) Just sayin'

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/05/12 - 02:19 pm
Henry

Consider this: I have no idea on the real number, but let's just say there have been 3,000 gods in human history. (if you count Zeus, Thor, Apollo, Ra and all the others). Christians are monotheistic, meaning they believe in only one god. I don't believe in 3,000 gods, Christians don't believe in 2,999 gods. An open minded Christian is only one god away from being just like me. See, we're not so different.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 12/05/12 - 02:44 pm
?

Soooo......why do you hate God again?

We ARE DIFFERENT. You don't love God...yet, I do.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/05/12 - 02:49 pm
Believing something that

Believing something that doesn't exist doesn't mean hate. I'm indifferent. You can't hate something you don't believe ever existed. If he did exist he could at least go on Entertainment Tonight and clear up all the confusion of 6,000,000,000 of his children all believing different things and insisting that they are right.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/05/12 - 02:56 pm
Well let's "Take five" to

Well let's "Take five" to honor Dave Brubeck who has died at 92. He is either just dead and worm food or his spirit has left this dimension into another. I know worms gotta eat too but I'm hoping he is conducting a smokin' hot band about now. Didn't Joe Morello die recently too. So back together again maybe.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/05/12 - 02:57 pm
sarcasm is a way of showing

sarcasm is a way of showing emotion. You feel something GiantsAllDay. Open up, let us in :)

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/05/12 - 03:01 pm
Nice definition of sarcasm. I

Nice definition of sarcasm. I like it. Another man put it this way: sarcasm is merely the truth with the volume turned up.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/05/12 - 03:07 pm
I was not giving the

I was not giving the definition, just saying that sarcasm is a way of showing emotion. :)

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/05/12 - 03:17 pm
Another man said...."a

Another man said...."a wounded dog barks the loudest".

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/05/12 - 03:37 pm
Well the SCOTUS has ruled and

Well the SCOTUS has ruled and beat this horse to death-in this country we have freedom of religion. A wounded dog doesn't bark at all, just whimpers. hee,hee,hee. Of course people have a right to decent too, just like you can be a racist or hate christians or hate homosexual, etc. It is easy to hate isn't it. The hard part is "love" but of course that is just a bunch of spiritual mumbo jumbo too that one particular mammal likes to give to certain behaviors. Fascinatin' to me is now animals-like dogs are being anthromorphed into equality with humans. It is a crime to kill a dog. All our ancestors must be rollin' in their graves at that one.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/05/12 - 03:50 pm
Did I say how wounded the dog

Did I say how wounded the dog was? How can it be assumed that he would only be able to whimper? I know when I stub my toe on something I scream pretty loud, probaby say some things that would even make GiantsAllDay pretty proud, dont think I would be able to scream that loud if I was wounded by a punch to the throat. But both would be wounds nonethe less. Just sayin' hehehe :) #perception and assumption

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/05/12 - 04:04 pm
Well anyways for over 2000

Well anyways for over 2000 years people have been believin' in this triune God and the human manifestion as this dude-Jesus. Course the Hindu god appeared as animals and human too so it isn't that novel an idea. But the story goes on-and need I bore you with the details. Anyways Darwin has gotta bout 150 years for his idea and it has changed a lot too with the modern synthesis till present. It is difficult to just dismiss 2000 years of history because of the actions of people and this "belief". You can make a good argument that Man and God have coevolved just like angiosperms (flowering plants) and pollinators like insects, mammals, and birds. God and man, and Man and God continue to mold each other. Given evidence indicates spirituality predates modern man, it seems this phenomena is a part of hominid evolution.