Example shows prayer fails

On Saturday, Aug. 6, 2011, Texas Gov. Rick Perry held a “day of fasting and prayer for our nation’s challenges” in Houston’s Reliant Stadium. At that time, our greatest challenges were $15 trillion-plus of debt and 9.1 percent unemployment.

Where are we 15 months removed from that Gong Show spectacle? We’re now at $16 trillion-plus of debt (and climbing) with unemployment hovering at 9 percent. Where’s the guy who created the universe and the firmament? Where’s the guy who tallies your past, present and future thoughts? Where’s your omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient God? Is He busy?

Maybe God should open up His Bible and brush up on His techniques. I quote Matthew 21:22 from the New International Version Bible: “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” It seems that biblical malfeasance, bait-and-switch or an outright lie has been perpetrated, because those believers believed, didn’t they? Or maybe nothing happened because congregants forgot that “fasting” part as they queued up for burgers and burritos at Rick Perry’s prayer-palooza. “Sir, would you like some hubris and hypocrisy on that hot dog?”

Rick Perry, 30,000 of his congregants and vast numbers of U.S. citizens prayed, and still nothing happened. So much for the efficaciousness of prayer, don’t you think?

Why do politicians endlessly invoke the Bible and God into their political shenanigans? Well, it’s easier to fool “we, the people” than it is to show them that they’ve been fooled. And, like the saying goes: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results.

I want to thank Rick Perry for proving that prayer fails, because now I don’t have to. I invite everyone in the 21st century to embrace science, scientific fact, critical thinking and common sense – because that’s what’s going to save us, not Bronze Age mythology.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 05:15 pm
Puppymomma

Thanks! Yes, I guess I've always been like that. That's why I have such a big problem with religion. Religion kills curiosity. It kills curiosity dead, dead, dead.
As a side note, my gut tells me that ICL, Willow, SeenItB4 and yourself are good, decent people-I even dare say great people. It is an honor to share the planet with them.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 05:17 pm
And do not confuse the above

And do not confuse the above with believing that there is no deathbed salvation, because there is. We just aren't guaranteed the opportunity for it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/04/12 - 05:44 pm
Now

do you understand why I will never, never get into a religious debate.

Question; Does anybody feel like there has been a winner in all the comments made today....truthfully "NO"

I truly believe in God and live the best I can by the Ten Commandments.

Your disbeliefs or beliefs does not effect me in any way. Nobody else will decide but God what he has planned for me....now and after death!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 06:08 pm
Cg, I don't see this as a

Cg, I don't see this as a debate. We were all just sharing and relating. Iron sharpens iron. It was all good:)

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 12/04/12 - 06:13 pm
God won IMO

Yes Willow, it's all good!

Jane18
Jane18 12/04/12 - 06:33 pm
Heaven and Hell

For our new 'friend' Giants..Wherever GOD is, that is heaven. The "lake of fire" is Not yet. But there are two sides of an abyss in heaven a persons' soul and spirit will go after the flesh death. If you like to read, check out Luke16:19-31. hell is another word for hades, gehenna, it's a statement of degration. torment is the fact of knowing where he is and why. flame is the heat of shame. Nothing about GOD and His Word ever gets old or boring for some of us, I learn something new almost every day.....................Most interesting and knowledgeable book I have ever read, my old King James Version, with the help of my Strong's Concordance!

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 12/04/12 - 06:47 pm
0 for 92 = 0%

I don't want to put words in Mr. Millers mouth, but in short, I think he's saying: "Prayer or praying just does NOT work." As I entered the comment section, there were 92 comments posted. If I'm not wrong, I saw NOT one, single, solitary posting of somebody giving an example of where one of their prayers were answered. A 100%, verifiable, USDA prime-choice blue-ribbon example of a prayer working. With the usual cast of characters posting on here, I thought for sure somebody, anybody, could have, or would have, at least given an example of prayer working. But I already know what the "other side" will say.....that's a personal thing...that's between me and God....that's nobody's business but mine...etc. etc. etc. See, when somebody tells me I can't do something, my general rule of thumb is to go out and prove them wrong - and I usually do 99% of the time. So, anybody want to "share a prayer"? Heck, I'll share one with you. When I used to go to church, I had a guy tell me that he "prayed" because he "needed some money" and he "sold a car" he had. I asked him: "Did you have it in the I Wanta?" His answer was "Yes." Well, how is that any different than just ANYBODY putting their car in the I Wanta for sale or how does that show prayer working? WOW.

Hey GiantsAllDay....it's usually me on here pulling the weight for the other side and I'm sure the people have been asking why pearlthesquirrel hasn't been chiming in....it's because I've been watching you "haul the freight" all day. Props my man, props.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 12/04/12 - 06:47 pm
0 for 92 = 0%

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 07:23 pm
This original article was about prayer

Where is heaven? It has to be an actual, physical place, correct? It can't be within our solar system, we've been able to study our solar system for quite some time now, the only life is right here on earth. So if god lives somewhere else let's be conservative:
Here is my thought on prayer:
Proxima centauri is the Nearest star from our solar system
God is the creator of all laws of physics, including the speed of light

1. If God lives on a planet near a star Proxima centauri
2. and if god is on the nearest star to our own sun (Proxima Centauri)
3. and if God is governed by natural laws (or else he ceases to be God)
4. and if Proxima Centauri is 4.3 light years away.....

Then...

You can expect an answer to your prayer in about 8.6 years...if God is on his game.

Jane18
Jane18 12/04/12 - 07:56 pm
Stupor?

Yes, there are some in a stupor...for their own good. No more pearls, but here is a little dust .......... Just to maybe, clear up one thing for you know who---Heaven is in another dimension, it is here, there, everywhere around us. Hopefully, one day you will feel HIS presence!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 08:01 pm
Did I just get called stupid

Did I just get called stupid AND a pig? Oh how very Christian of you. Probably just what the Savior had in mind.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/04/12 - 08:23 pm
GAD, which heaven are you

GAD, which heaven are you referring to? Genesis 1 speaks of heavens, meaning plural. The first heaven is the atmosphere around the earth. In Exodus and Nehemiah, they speak of the heaven which is the space beyond our atmoshphere. Then there is the third heaven mentioned in Corinthians and Revelations which Paul called Paradise, where the throne of God is.

carcraft
carcraft 12/04/12 - 08:33 pm
Newton, very religious yet an

Newton, very religious yet an obvious superior intellect! Gregory Mendal, not curious? Need I go on!

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/04/12 - 08:35 pm
I believe the poster really

I believe the poster really needs to read the bible even if not for any other reason than to find answers to some of his/her questions. An idle mind is a devils playground. I am not asking for him/her to believe if he/she chooses not too, but to instead read for understanding. The bible's meaning was not to explain the constellations or planets or the millions of species of herbs and plant life or each and every insect ever created etc etc so there is a ton of scientific stuff you won't find in the bible because.....drum roll please.....the bible is about knowing God and all his glory and all he has done for us and his greatness and love and forgiveness towards us, his created and rules we should all live by. No where in between all that was it necessary to talk about millions of different species of plant life etc. Science is wonderful, yes, but for those that believe only in science, I ask what about all the stuff even science can't explain?

Jake
Jake 12/04/12 - 08:51 pm
@GiantsAllDay

Looks like you are a Giants fan. I am surrounded by them out here in the Bay area. Help! (Go Braves!).
Good comments, though. My son and I were laughing pretty hard. If you want to start a furor on this site just bring up religion, guns, Democrats, homosexuality, Confederate flag and Dr Azziz.

KSL
KSL 12/04/12 - 08:59 pm
Why do we have to have an

Why do we have to have an explanation for everything? Are we all capable of understanding everything?. I think all of us posters know the answer to that.

carcraft
carcraft 12/04/12 - 09:00 pm
I used to consider Christians

I used to consider Christians intellectual suspect until I experienced God's love. God's love in my life was incredible! The song Amazing Grace expresses far beyond what I experienced, but describes God's love for us! When you consider intellects like CS Lewis, Alexander Solsinetzin (spelling), Tolkien, etc, or look at a list of scientists that are believers it becomes clear that intellect isn't the real objection to Christianity.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 09:14 pm
Jake

When we won the NLDS against Atlanta in 2010 and the giants interrupted their celebration to recognize bobby cox in his last game-- the next day I had several braves fans come up to me at work telling me that they were giants fans for the rest of post season, just b/c of that class move by the giants. You braves fans are alright, I tell ya. Anyway, these people on this board don't realize that I drank the Christian, religious kool aid for over 40 years-have read and studied the bible probably more than most of them combined-I just decided to study the history of ancient scripture and religion with an open mind, no agenda. I just wish everyone would do an honest search for the truth. It's the information age and reliable information is easily obtained. It just takes a little inclination and courage. I give the elderly a pass. When they're confronted with the facts they just go to church and sing the hymns even louder than the Sunday before.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 09:31 pm
Carcraft

Would you care to publish that list of scientists who are believers? Remember there are 2 tiers of scientists: those who publish in peer reviewed journals and the rest. SMH, SMH! A few lower tier scientists say they're believers and the Christian community goes gaga. So remember, saying something over and over doesn't make it true. Check this out and go to the section "among scientists"

KSL
KSL 12/04/12 - 09:40 pm
I resent your remark about the elderly, giants.

Years ago, when I was younger, we were taught not to stereotype. I am willing to bet we were better educated than you. And a lot more tolerant when I came along as a high school student. Especially in the south.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 09:50 pm
Hey nothing personal. Just

Hey nothing personal. Just what I've observed during my life's journey. And I'm probably in the same age range as you. And yes, you probably are better educated than I. I've sat in a few classrooms in my day, that's about it.

KSL
KSL 12/05/12 - 02:27 am
Giants, no. I am referring to education prior to leaving home

and high school. I apologize if I sounded obnoxious. I was reared in the Episcopal Church. I studied multiple religious beliefs. No one in my family, which included people of multiple Christian faiths, ever tried to indoctrinate and sway me or my siblings.

So I hope you can see where I come from. We all made our own decisions on the directions we would go in.

carcraft
carcraft 12/04/12 - 10:08 pm
GAD Goggle Nobel prize

GAD Goggle Nobel prize winners who believe in God! Really not second tier folks!

carcraft
carcraft 12/04/12 - 10:14 pm
GAD Go to wiki

GAD Go to wiki

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/04/12 - 10:24 pm
To all the posts about God

To all the posts about God and abused/murdered children. Just as God does not make us love him nor make us follow the "rules" he does not make us do what we should when it comes to our children either. Children who die from abuse do go to heaven. "Jesus always accepts children". Remember that God looks at all sins as equally sinful. To us people who have very understandable compassion for those that can not fend for themselves would consider murdering a child unfathomable of course. And logically and understandably would be fine with a serial killer being murdered by one of the family members of his victims. But God sees it the same as murdering any being or committing any sin. A sin is a sin is a sin. No one is worse than the other when it comes to God. I know I, for one, cant even read a story regarding child abuse of any kind without being deeply saddened and angry all at the same time. But the bible is pretty clear.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 10:32 pm
KSL, so you must know of the

KSL, so you must know of the works of Bishop J. Shelby Spong! I admire admire and respect him and have read 4 of his books.
Carcraft: I did as you asked and the info comes from Christian apologist websites. I read the first name "Albert Einstein" and had to stop right there. He was an agnostic and stopped short of calling himself an athiest because it sounded too arrogant. He clearly stated he did not believe in a personal god:
If we're going to have a discussion, let's at least be fair, ok?

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/04/12 - 10:41 pm
Your still awake

Your still awake AllGiantsAllDay! You have given me great entertainment for the day. Thank you. Since you are up doing research and I am about to head to bed because I have to work tomorrow, was wondering if you care to give explanation for the Bermuda Triangle or black holes??? Until tomorrow. Good Night. :)

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/04/12 - 10:53 pm
I find science very

I find science very interesting. Difference is, I believe that science gives us knowledge that God already knows of course and already knew we would find out and what will be found out. Mixed with some predictable human error and perception. Things are only left unexplained to those without faith.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/05/12 - 12:05 am
Elderly, Willow. I like it.

Elderly, Willow. I like it. I'm going to be one of those old gals who needs someone to tell them it's time to stop wearing short skirts and get off the back of that Harley. I've already got friends in place with instructions about how to handle me; when the time comes, of course. Until then...

McDuffie school system closes after influenza outbreak

One day after closing Maxwell Elementary School due to excessive absences caused by an outbreak of influenza, strep infection and stomach viruses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to ...