Example shows prayer fails

On Saturday, Aug. 6, 2011, Texas Gov. Rick Perry held a “day of fasting and prayer for our nation’s challenges” in Houston’s Reliant Stadium. At that time, our greatest challenges were $15 trillion-plus of debt and 9.1 percent unemployment.

Where are we 15 months removed from that Gong Show spectacle? We’re now at $16 trillion-plus of debt (and climbing) with unemployment hovering at 9 percent. Where’s the guy who created the universe and the firmament? Where’s the guy who tallies your past, present and future thoughts? Where’s your omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient God? Is He busy?

Maybe God should open up His Bible and brush up on His techniques. I quote Matthew 21:22 from the New International Version Bible: “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” It seems that biblical malfeasance, bait-and-switch or an outright lie has been perpetrated, because those believers believed, didn’t they? Or maybe nothing happened because congregants forgot that “fasting” part as they queued up for burgers and burritos at Rick Perry’s prayer-palooza. “Sir, would you like some hubris and hypocrisy on that hot dog?”

Rick Perry, 30,000 of his congregants and vast numbers of U.S. citizens prayed, and still nothing happened. So much for the efficaciousness of prayer, don’t you think?

Why do politicians endlessly invoke the Bible and God into their political shenanigans? Well, it’s easier to fool “we, the people” than it is to show them that they’ve been fooled. And, like the saying goes: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results.

I want to thank Rick Perry for proving that prayer fails, because now I don’t have to. I invite everyone in the 21st century to embrace science, scientific fact, critical thinking and common sense – because that’s what’s going to save us, not Bronze Age mythology.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 03:04 pm
Sorry Henry

Cant seek the attention of a God who would set fire to his own children and let them burn FOREVER just because they didn't worship him. Just can't do it. By the way, how does that work? Does the fire burn through my epidermis, my dermis, my inner skin, my muscles, then my bones? Then does it all miraculously all grow back and then burns again and it all repeats itself forever and ever? Scary stuff.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/04/12 - 03:01 pm
Thank you Henry Walker!

Thank you Henry Walker!

allhans
allhans 12/04/12 - 03:26 pm
Giants. Tut..Tut...You are

Giants. Tut..Tut...You are way off base.

justthefacts
22008
justthefacts 12/04/12 - 03:27 pm
HW3rd

Nail/Head. Nice job!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 03:30 pm
I'd rather be slapped by a friend, than kissed by my enemies.

The Bible says if we don't come to Christ as little children, it becomes more difficult as we age because our hearts are hardened through hurtful emotional experiences. Or the converse can be true, we can have things go so well for us, that we completely lack any understanding or humility.

Under God's design for the family, the first view we have of Him is formed through our relationship with our earthly fathers or those who are in authority over our care. That can be unfortunate for many.

There are many good books available on this subject... "Soul Repair" by Jeff VanVonderen is a good place to start if you are struggling with making sense of God.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 03:35 pm
Giants, I refer back to your

Giants, I refer back to your comment regarding reading "Mans Search for Meaning" which you admit reading multiple times... That is good. Keep searching; but change books.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/04/12 - 03:35 pm
Matthew 13: 37-43 37 He

Matthew 13: 37-43
37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;

38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

So GAD, none all are children of God. His children will spend eternity with Him and those who refuses to accept Christ and chooses not to be adopted into the family of God, choose to be adopted into the family of the enemy and will be casted out for eternity. It's not important if this refers to real fire or not. If only symbolic language, it's bad enough for me.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/04/12 - 03:43 pm
Willow, you 2:30pm comment is

Willow, you 2:30pm comment is very true. So many have rocky relationships with their father or in most cases do not have a father figure in their life to relate to so it because extremely difficult to understand how a Heavenly Father could love them so much and want a relationship with them.

Jane18
Jane18 12/04/12 - 03:48 pm
F4ther Time

If you think it is GOD's will that a child, or anyone, is to suffer, you are as wrong as the letter writer, GiantAllDay, and everyone else that talks against GOD. HE gave us free will, the choice to do right or wrong, to love and try to live as good as we can or not, and to love and believe in HIM or not!. Sure, He could have made us all little robots, but, it is Not real love if someone is forced or programed to go around, "I love YOU GOD, I love YOU GOD". Would you want your loved ones to react like that to you? Of course not! Prayer is a closeness with The Father, He loves it, just as we love it when our children talk to us, express gratitude for all the things we have done for them, the happiness we have brought, etc.. And like some have already said, HE does answer prayers................ sometime the answer is No or Not Now!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 04:12 pm
So let me get this straight.

So let me get this straight. Say god created the earth, which most scientists agree was about 4.6 billion years ago. He must of had his perfect plan BEFORE he created the universe and all of us human beings. If he is all knowing and powerful, the big g god, 4.6 billion years ago he knew that I was going to have low country boil for supper on Dec 3, 2012. So why pray at all; the master plan is already in place. There is only 2 choices when you pray (a) thy will be done--which is silly because he's god with the big g--he planned it out a LONG time ago. Or (b) "please change your mind" which is not a wise thing for an imperfect human being to say (hey god my plan is better than your plan, please change your mind from 4.6 billion years ago). In this case god is god with a little g. So pray to whomever or what ever you want or don't pray at all. Either way your going to get what you want about 50% of the time and you'll be denied about 50% of the time. Now, what about large groups of people united in asking god for the same thing. If the preacher asks for everyone to pray for something, will god grant the favor if the group is large enough? Does god say, "sorry you only had 500 people praying; I might have changed my mind from 4.6 billion years ago if you had 750".

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 04:26 pm
Just to clarify, is your

Just to clarify, is your question, then GAD... What is the purpose of prayer to an all knowing God who has a plan and a purpose for each of our lives?

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/04/12 - 04:29 pm
GAD, prayer isn't a list of

GAD, prayer isn't a list of must haves or wants, but communication and submitting to His will...of course you wouldn't care either way.

" So why pray at all"......because just like we enjoy our kids talking to us, God enjoys His children talking to Him.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 04:35 pm
Willow

We know what the plan is. The scriptures clearly state: Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it. So this god, from the very beginning, could come up with ANY PLAN he wanted, came up with one where most people fail. In fact very few succeed. Maybe he does exist, he's just not my kind of guy.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/04/12 - 04:45 pm
"he's just not my kind of

"he's just not my kind of guy."

That's the saddest statement I believe I have ever read. My prayer is that someday GAD, before you leave this earth you accept God's free gift, and if you don't, it's not because He didn't stand before you daily by the narrow gate with His arms outstretch begging to show you the way through. Sometimes that wide open space looks more appealing until we cross through the gate and realize the grass isn't greener.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 04:51 pm
Gad has some good questions.

I can only honestly speak through my own experiences, but I find that praying puts my focus on God, not my expectations of others or my circumstances.

It helps to redirect my thinking, my purpose and goals. It also helps me to align my thinking with God's rather than expecting Him to align His with mine.

But, the best part for me, is that it offers me the opportunity to come into His presence and recharge my heart.

A few years ago, when I was deathly ill and could not pray for myself, I had the incredible experience of hearing Jesus pray on my behalf. It removed all of my fears of dying. Was it really the voice of Jesus or was it years of learned scripture repeating in my unconscious state? I don't honestly know, but my heart says, it was orchestrated by God, either way.

I've found from that experience that it's always a good thing, to be prayed up. We never know what the morning will bring.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/04/12 - 04:57 pm
we who believe in God quite

we who believe in God quite often get very upset at reading such material we consider nonsense. Truth of the matter is, when our day comes, we stand before God alone. We answer for our own "faults", not for others. Those who believe should just pray that God touches this man/woman's heart. The Lord seems to have a way to make non-believers, believers. And sometimes those that oppose it the most are the ones that become the most faithful God loving beings.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 04:59 pm
Time to wrap up

Ok good people, time to wrap this up. There will be more discussions, I'm sure. Not everyone agrees with me, so let me make a statement that I think all will agree: Your religious beliefs depend largely on:
1) when you were born
2) where you were born
3) who your parents are

So to sum up:
In the when you were born lottery, YOU HIT THE JACKPOT!
in the where you were born lottery, YOU HIT THE JACKPOT!
in the who your parents are, YOU HIT THE JACKPOT!

Hitting these jackpots 3 out of 3 is truly remarkable. Even before god created his children, he loved some a lot more than others. These people were the ones born in the 20th and 21st centuries, in the southeastern united states, to baptist parents.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 05:11 pm
Gad, to respond to your

Gad, to respond to your comment, I believe first we have to ask what is the true character of God. I will cut to the bottom line to save time. His character is Love. What kind of Love is that? is what I think you would ask. One (Love) that laid down His own son's physical life on this earth for mine and your sins once and for all.

Love is always a choice; it wouldn't be Love if it wasn't.

Narrow is that gate, but by Man/Woman's choice, not God's.

He is not a tyrant, He is our God, who knocks at our door. Will we invite Him into to our lives is the question. He will not force us, but He will use everything in our path to woo us to Him.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 05:02 pm
Willow

I read your last post and I liked it. It was sincere and heartfelt. So, thanks. I do similar things. I call it meditation.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/04/12 - 05:06 pm
This is just so unbelievably sad

The letter and so many of the comments reveal a cynicism and hopelessness that is heartrending.

I am very grateful for the kindness being shown here by many, including Willow and ICL. Some of you commenters clearly are amazing, wonderful people who do the human race proud.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/04/12 - 05:15 pm
The statement that God loves

The statement that God loves some of His children more than others is inaccurrate but know this GAD, God loves you with a passion so great that He died so that you and Him could be family. I think that is My kind of guy :) I hope someday you do too. Good Day.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 05:16 pm

Thank you, fiat, for your encouragement.

GAD, I could talk to you all day and night long. I am surrounded by men and women of all ages and stages.

About that jackpot, God has promised to make Himself known to All of us...and His Word says He has a particular affection for the unfortunate and the broken.

Here's another book I love... "Ragamuffin Gospel". I forgot the author, but google it. It touched my heart so deeply.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 05:22 pm
One more question

Just curious, answer if you're so inclined.
Ghandi-in heaven or hell?
Mother Teresa-in heaven or hell?
6,000,000 holocaust victims-in heaven or hell?

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/04/12 - 05:33 pm
Not sure who you are asking

Not sure who you are asking GAD but only God knows the heart of Ghandi, Mother Teresa, and 6,000,000 holocaust victims. We humans can only speculate according to the fruit of their spirit or a simpler term, by their profession and actions.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/04/12 - 05:32 pm
no matter what your curiosity, get informed

if someone wonders of the mechanics of a vehicle, do research on mechanics of a vehicle. You will find that it answers many of your wonders and wont create wonders that do not pertain.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/04/12 - 05:33 pm
Heaven

Heaven
Heaven - please meet us there

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 05:52 pm
GAD, since I personally knew

GAD, since I personally knew none of them other than Mother Teresa, I'll answer your question with a question.

God has given me a choice to accept Him as my Savior.

If I say No, God, I don't accept you, and tonight, I suffer a fatal heart attack, what is my eternity, life or death? If I say, No, God and tonight a robber or car accident takes my life, what is my eternity, life or death?

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/04/12 - 05:59 pm
GAD, you are a conversation

GAD, you are a conversation starter. I'm reminded of the teacher in the classroom, whom after she's lectured forever and the bell is about to ring, says "Are there any more questions"? and there is the one kid (it was probably you) who just has to ask, while everyone else groans.
I love America because we have the freedom to express our thoughts ,religious beliefs or non-beliefs and opinions whether they are shared by everyone or not.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/04/12 - 05:59 pm
A better example

Lack of faith and unlimited acceptance of abnormal anti-social practices is a guarantee for failure.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/04/12 - 06:01 pm
If my country turns its back on GOD

I'll will turn my back on my country and leave to where GOD is respected.