Example shows prayer fails

On Saturday, Aug. 6, 2011, Texas Gov. Rick Perry held a “day of fasting and prayer for our nation’s challenges” in Houston’s Reliant Stadium. At that time, our greatest challenges were $15 trillion-plus of debt and 9.1 percent unemployment.

Where are we 15 months removed from that Gong Show spectacle? We’re now at $16 trillion-plus of debt (and climbing) with unemployment hovering at 9 percent. Where’s the guy who created the universe and the firmament? Where’s the guy who tallies your past, present and future thoughts? Where’s your omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient God? Is He busy?

Maybe God should open up His Bible and brush up on His techniques. I quote Matthew 21:22 from the New International Version Bible: “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” It seems that biblical malfeasance, bait-and-switch or an outright lie has been perpetrated, because those believers believed, didn’t they? Or maybe nothing happened because congregants forgot that “fasting” part as they queued up for burgers and burritos at Rick Perry’s prayer-palooza. “Sir, would you like some hubris and hypocrisy on that hot dog?”

Rick Perry, 30,000 of his congregants and vast numbers of U.S. citizens prayed, and still nothing happened. So much for the efficaciousness of prayer, don’t you think?

Why do politicians endlessly invoke the Bible and God into their political shenanigans? Well, it’s easier to fool “we, the people” than it is to show them that they’ve been fooled. And, like the saying goes: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results.

I want to thank Rick Perry for proving that prayer fails, because now I don’t have to. I invite everyone in the 21st century to embrace science, scientific fact, critical thinking and common sense – because that’s what’s going to save us, not Bronze Age mythology.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 10:27 am
Father4time, it is not God

Father4time, it is not God that causes any of us to suffer; it is the sinfulness of the world that we occupy. One day, if we choose God, we will live in perfection.

There is no death for the children of God.

A couple of good books on this subject....Ann Graham Lotz, "Why"?
Randy Acorn's, "Heaven". And of course the ultimate Good Book is God's.

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/04/12 - 10:28 am
I'm not being ugly saying that...

That is my honest opinion.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 10:29 am
SeenitB4

I like you, you are a good egg. Your comment on self actualization and depression caught my attention. I though maybe you were going to delve deeper, so if I may: that moment of self actualization, that moment maybe 100,000 years ago when our brain had evolved to the point when we understood that we would die someday. That's the time when man, in order to deal with that disturbing discovery came up with the god idea and created god in his own image. (if horses had gods, would they not look like horses?) from that time until present day we have learned more and more about the world around us (what causes weather, what exists above the clouds and beyond). Now that we have learned the truth about many things and can explain many things, god has become more and more irrelevant. But since the human brain has won the evolution war over all the other species, it comes with a curse. We still know that we're going to die someday but now we can't rationally depend on god to take us into heaven forever like our uneducated ancestors could. This is why you see so much depression and anti depressant medications today than ever before. And I suspect we'll see more as we achieve more knowledge. But, there will always be those who believe in god. The human brain has been programmed to believe in god. Read "Why we believe what we believe" by Andrew Newberg. He explains it all quite well. Your hubby prays for you because he loves you. It's endearing and in this day and age, that's a good thing. If I had a spouse who told me "I'll pray for you" I would respond, "how about making me a sandwich instead?"

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 12/04/12 - 10:30 am
WOW

I read this and thought I would comment but so many of you have made such great points that it isn't really neccessary. I feel for those that believe in nothing at all. It must be lonely when there is trouble and pain to carry that burden all alone. And if religion is to be attacked why Christianity? I know people of many faiths that pray for our country, our leaders and our welfare. Do you just dislike Christians or would you say the same of the other religions? Are you afraid of what a Hindi, Bhuddist, Muslim, Jew and the many other religions pray? Even the Wiccans pray. Feel free to not believe that is okay, but it is wrong to attack others for what they do believe.

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/04/12 - 10:32 am
You wonder about the abused child?

Would you be pleased if God intervened and killed the abuser in advance of his crime? Or if God killed you when you have thoughts of harming someone else in advance of your acts.

God can truly "see the forest regardless of the trees". God can provide for the individual while holding all of creation in tact. Man cannot place one foot in front of the other without first putting same in his mouth.

There is a provision for the innocent and the guilty.

People who think they know everything do not need a "god". They are the center of the universe. They are their own "god". But how much has Mr. Bill Mayer done to lift up society. Mr. Bill Mayer makes a fortune out of the distress and suffering of others. He is a frustrated ego maniac. He uses the same tactics to make his fortune as those he despises. Neither are righteous.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/04/12 - 10:35 am
Those who don't understand

Those who don't understand prayer sure are quick to criticize it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/04/12 - 10:36 am
hahah GAD

I like you too...you do think for yourself...
If you lived with me I would have you praying for me too...LOL

Sometimes we out think ourselves .....this beautiful world came from somewhere...we all have ideas....who can say that only one of them is right.....
Have a great day...stay happy.....I have to reclean stinking carpets right now......smile...

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 10:48 am
F4ther, I know you are not

F4ther, I know you are not and I understand your feelings on the subject. It's a harsh reality to accept and God acknowledges that
difficulty and makes provisions for us.

One of my favorite stories is the one of the centurian who asked for healing of his child. When asked, if he had faith, he honestly declares, "I believe, oh God, but help me thouest in my
Unbelief"!

And truthfully, we are all challenged at times in our lives, no matter how much we want to completely, unquestionably believe.
I personally find the above scripture to be a great help at those times.

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/04/12 - 10:40 am
I also see how loving some of you are..

I express my heartfelt opinion and 2 thumbs down. Must not be members of a loving and understanding religion that says love all....

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/04/12 - 10:42 am
F4therTime....I've simply

F4therTime....I've simply posted a quote from the constitution before and got thumbs down. Some people simply don't like me, I suppose. It happens.

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/04/12 - 10:48 am
I was raised in the church...

Southern Baptist. I was turned off by the hypocrisy of it all. I don't know what is true or not. I try to live my life doing good and trying to be a peaceful, loving person that helps people in need. Maybe one day I will understand it maybe not.

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/04/12 - 10:47 am
I might add...

I would never disparage anyone from praying. If that makes you feel better then by all means do it. Out of respect when I am at place where people pray, I always bow my head and stay silent. I would never disrespect someone's beliefs. When I am in your house I will respect your beliefs. If I broke bread at your house I would bow my head if you prayed before we ate. I believe you can follow your own beliefs but be respectful as the same time....

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/04/12 - 11:03 am
F4therTime, ignore the thumbs

F4therTime, ignore the thumbs down.....but please don't give up. We all have questions sometimes but there is no better place to find the answers than in His Word.

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 12/04/12 - 11:23 am
I will just say my prayers go

I will just say my prayers go out to those who believe that any thing in this article is remotely true, all prayers of the righteous are answered. Sometimes the answer is NO, nothing else here needs a response. I would encourage you to read the Bible, not one particular verse, from cover to cover. You will discover that in every situation, when the leader of a nation or people turned from God the nation suffered. Does anyone recall the last time America had a Godly leader? Also a little history lesson it took Rome 300 years to fall. We may have a little longer.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 11:41 am
God, not man/woman, defines us.

Yes, I agree. There is ample hypocrisy in the church and I once was discouraged by it as well. Now, I just feel sorry for them.

I eventually came to a point in my life, with the help of God, where I resolved that absolutely no human being, whether seated on a barstool or the front row of the biggest church in town would ever have the power to keep me from the mercy, grace, love, comfort and inheritance of our God.

As Isaiah said, " who is mortal man, whose life exists only in his nostrils, that we should listen to them?"

We need to fight hard against the temptation to allow others to define who we are and more importantly WHO OUR GOD IS! God defines our value and our worth, not others.

Take your focus off sinful others and put it on the only One who can do anything for you.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/04/12 - 11:51 am
And, like the saying goes:

And, like the saying goes: "The Devil can quote the Scriptures".

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/04/12 - 12:16 pm
Quoted from Isaiah 64

1 Corinthians 2:9
However, as it is written:
“What no eye has seen,
what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”[a]—
the things God has prepared for those who love him—

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 12/04/12 - 12:16 pm
GOD does answer prayers...we

GOD does answer prayers...we had millions who prayed for sanity in our govt...moral and financial...but we had more praying for the opposite...perhaps GOD ..in HIS WISDOM..left us to the foolishness of obumler and his followers...since we have non-believers quoting scripture let me remind them of another passage where GOD warns those who do not follow his word that he will let them follow their foolish ways...sounds kinda like today..

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 12/04/12 - 12:24 pm
willow the problem with

willow the problem with believers and non-believers is that we define the christian faith not by biblical standards but by sinners who cannot live up to those standards...that is why CHRIST said he came to fulfill the law because as man who are sinners we fall far short from following the law..paul the greatest evangalist and theologian of all times warned in his letters that we are followers of CHRIST and not man, even himself..if you put faith in man you will be greatly disappointed and lost....

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 12:49 pm
@Puppymama, "And, like the

@Puppymama, "And, like the saying goes: "The Devil can quote the Scriptures".

I hope I haven't misinterpreted your comment... My answer as I understand you is...

Yes, indeed, but, again, that would be mere mortals words not God's. The devil doesn't quote the true words of God; he twists them, ridicules them, questions them, and denies them.

I believe the scripture that you may be trying to reference is:

James 2:19. Oh, thou doth believe that God is one, thou doth well, for even the devils believe and shudder.

The message was meant to be an illustration of dead faith...the actual knowledge of God but then the refusal to accept him as Lord and Savior.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 12:48 pm

Thank you and Amen, nofanofobama. We can have full confidence that God uses it all, the good, the bad, the beautiful and the ugly.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11.

But, we MUST be willing to cooperate with God's plan and not go our own way.

Lilly, I love the book of Isaiah. Full of promise, hope, encouragement, and wisdom. If you haven't already done so, take a look at "I Saw the Lord", Ann Graham Lotz.

I'm going to leave you with another favorite... that I find myself using almost daily.
It's short, to the point, and worth pondering...

"But, God(.) (?) (!)"

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/04/12 - 12:48 pm
wb

I guess I should have elaborated. You are correct about the twisting of words,the ridicule, the questions and the denials. Thank you for your assistance. The saying is just that, a saying, not a quote from the Bible.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 12:53 pm
Thank you so much puppymama.

Thank you so much puppymama. I haven't seen enough of your comments to know you. Looking forward to it, though.
Hope you and everyone else enjoy's this gorgeous day.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/04/12 - 01:15 pm
Willow

Yes, thank you -
Haven't ever talked to an atheist before today - saw Madeline O'Hare on Phil D years ago and prayed for her soul

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 12/04/12 - 01:31 pm
You can't pimp God. (Only use

You can't pimp God. (Only use Him when you feel you need Him)

Father God in Heaven, thank you for this day. I ask that you continue to move throughout this land during these trying times. I ask that you continue to protect each and every Beliver on this thread. I ask that you allow Your word to permeate the atmosphere and touch those that are willing to listen and act accordingly. Most of all, I ask THAT YOUR WILL BE DONE. All of these I ask in Your Son's name, thank you and Amen.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 01:36 pm
Why do people keep referring

Why do people keep referring to god and Satan as "him" and "he"? Do they look like men when they're naked?

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 12/04/12 - 01:44 pm
Giant's, I discern that you

Giant's, I discern that you are just being silly and seeking attention, seek God's attention, my friend. It will be WELL WORTH IT!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/04/12 - 01:47 pm
Henry Walker

Thank you!!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/04/12 - 01:49 pm
Amen

Amen

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/04/12 - 02:04 pm
Sorry Henry

Cant seek the attention of a God who would set fire to his own children and let them burn FOREVER just because they didn't worship him. Just can't do it. By the way, how does that work? Does the fire burn through my epidermis, my dermis, my inner skin, my muscles, then my bones? Then does it all miraculously all grow back and then burns again and it all repeats itself forever and ever? Scary stuff.