Keep guns in safe hands

Regarding the Oct. 31 death of Kristen Burnette: This is the third time recently that a teenager was shot by another teenager in Columbia County.

What is it going to take to get parents to become more responsible? How many children or teenagers have to die to get the parents’ attention?

I will not have a gun in my home. If I ever change my mind, that gun will be locked up. I do not have any children or teenagers; if I did, they would not be able to get to the gun.

Kristen’s mother was not home on Halloween when this accident happened. I would have a strict rule: No friends while I am not home! A teenage boy reportedly roamed around the house and found the gun in the parent’s room; stay out of the bedrooms or other restricted rooms!

Any adult old enough to have a gun legally should be held responsible for any accident if he or she does not properly lock up that gun, and someone gets it and hurts or kills another person.

Children and teenagers: Guns are not toys! Please leave them alone.

Chad
Chad 11/30/12 - 08:42 am
Weapon Safety.

The problem is not that the weapon was not locked up. It was the parents fault for not teaching the child that weapons are dangerous. I grew up around loaded weapons. My father would have tore me a new one if I even thought of touching one with out him being around. If you teach the kids and expose them to such items they are less likely to play with weapons. In addition, a weapon that is locked up is a useless weapon. You might as well give the criminal the keys to your home.

David Parker
David Parker 11/30/12 - 09:26 am
The debate on safety and

The debate on safety and security is a positive discussion. Blaming a gun for the action of a human isn't realistic and doesn't address how to prevent tragedies. Establish that point and go from there.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/30/12 - 09:54 am
I think parents should keep

I think parents should keep all their silverware locked up....that stuff can kill people.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/30/12 - 09:55 am
Guess what.....85 million gun

Guess what.....85 million gun owners didn't kill anyone today.

myfather15
myfather15 11/30/12 - 11:59 am
This is about personal

This is about personal responsibility, period. As a former active duty Marine and now a Deputy Sheriff, I've been around guns my whole life. I usually keep one weapon in my house loaded for protection and the rest are unloaded and locked up. The one that is loaded, is usually out of sight but VERY close to me, in case of emergency. It makes no sense to have EVERY gun in the house loaded, especially if they aren't locked up.

I also adamently agree that parents need to teach their children what guns can do and the purpose of them. My guess is this shooting was probably done by a teenager who doesn't have guns in their house and therefore weren't taught about the dangers of guns. Then when he went to a friends house where there were guns, he curiosity got the best of him, and with not being taught the dangers, thought he could play with it.

Jane18
Jane18 11/30/12 - 01:26 pm
Ignorance of a gun will kill!

Except for being a former active Marine and a Deputy Sheriff, myfather15's comment could have been mine(oh yeah, I think he's male and I am a female!). Even if some of you do not have guns, please have someone knowledgable of guns teach your kids the pros and cons of a weapon!

Commission to discuss administrator position

Two significant city appointments return to the forefront at a regular Tuesday meeting of the Augusta Commission. Commissioner Ben Hasan, just appointed to the District 6 commission seat last ...