Obamacare is a disaster

This Obamacare, so-called, is not health care; it is death care. It is how to get rid of you when you get to be a burden to society.

People in the government are not telling you the whole truth.

They brag about all this free stuff, such as free screenings to keep you in good health. They give you all the free stuff before the presidential election to make you think they are really thinking of you. Just wait until 2014. Then get sick and need a hip or knee replacement. That is when you will find out how great it is.

That is when they call in that death panel. That is not what they call it; some of us call it that. A group of unelected people will decide if you get the surgery. It will depend on your age and health, whether you are able to contribute to this society or if you are a burden to it.

If they decide you do not get the surgery, then they want to counsel you on how to die. How do you like that?

Those who stay in practice won’t be the ones who decide if you get the treatment or surgery; it will be the so-called death panel.

I am up in years, and want to be around here much longer. I do not have as much to worry about as some of you younger ones. There is nothing else that will affect your life as much as this.

All the other things won’t matter if you are not here to enjoy them.

Comments (55)

Young Fred
Young Fred 11/29/12 - 02:52 am

I have read the law.

“A disaster” is putting it mildly.

As soon as the Affordable Health Care act was passed, there was pronouncement from on high that too many of a whole slew of test were taking place. From breast cancer to prostate cancer. I don't believe in that kind of coincidence. A central part of this plan is that there has been an “over utilization” of health care services. Even to the point that gov't agencies can review the privately insured for over utilization.

I don't argue that some “over utilize” I do argue that it is none of govt's damn business, if I'm privately insured. Heck, it's none of their business period, it is the business of the patient and doctor, period. If some scum dr is milking the system and it can be proved, that's a different story. But don't you dare get between the sacred doctor/patient relationship unless you have overwhelming proof. And if it's a private agreement, then gov't has no right what so ever to get between that relationship.

carcraft
20672
carcraft 11/29/12 - 06:45 am

My urologist and I were both

My urologist and I were both diagnosed with prostate cancer because of elevated PSA's. My Doctor has diagnosed hundreds of patient's using the PSA and finds the PSA test to be valid for a cancer that kills more men than breast cancer kills women. Now a government panel says it isn't valid. According to Reagan the most terrifying words in the world are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you"!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/29/12 - 07:25 am

my prediction..obumler will

my prediction..obumler will not strike a deal for the budget b/4 the end of the year so he can blame everyone else for going over the cliff. why besides the blame game. it is because obumler care will be so damaging for the econmy, new taxes, new regulations and lousy govt. managemt he will need the non-budget fiascal to mask this colossal takeover of health care...

Rhetor
Rhetor 11/29/12 - 07:55 am

1. There are no death panels.

1. There are no death panels. What has happened here is that many conservatives have failed to inform themselves of the law's provisions. Perhaps you have been conned by the right wing's fear tactics. The law's provisions are easily available in the news and you can, if you choose to do so, inform yourself about them--as should your physicians. There is no substitute for information. 2. The recommendation on the PSA test has nothing to do with Obamacare and was made on the basis of new research. New studies have shown that the test is not valid and that it leads to needless surgery on people who will never get cancer. I don't know your doctor, but I would certainly get a second opinion before undergoing any drastic treatment. In any case, I wish you all the best with any medical problems.

Techfan
Techfan 11/29/12 - 08:21 am

Other than not having a clue

Other than not having a clue about what's really in the Affordable Care Act, and just running with a bunch of debunked viral email claims about it, great letter N.C.. So the government is going to mess up your government supplied Medicare? BTW: The main bill that keeps getting a fix every year because it reduces Dr. fees for Medicare (they seemed to like the formula the first few years when they were getting increases), and that keeps getting temporary fixes was Balanced Budget Act of 1997, introduced by John Kasich (R), Representative from Ohio, Faux "News" commentator, investment banker at Lehman Brother's until they went belly up, and now the Republican Governor of Ohio. You might remind your doctors that he's the one that sponsored the bill to cut their reimbursements.

grouse
grouse 11/29/12 - 08:27 am

The letter writer is

The letter writer is misinformed. Actually, present health insurance companies have employees who already decide whether certain procedures will be covered, regardless of what your doctor prescribes.

TParty
TParty 11/29/12 - 08:32 am

"They brag about all this

"They brag about all this free stuff, such as free screenings to keep you in good health."

It's not free- you're paying for health care. It's just now part of your policy- which is good and will save money- because folks can now catch things earlier. A lot of people avoid the doctors, because they rather avoid paying all the co-pays on top of their health care, which leads to people showing up late and now it's expensive or impossible to treat patients. Preventive maintenance is a good thing which should be encourage.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/29/12 - 08:34 am

"Actually, present health

"Actually, present health insurance companies have employees who already decide whether certain procedures will be covered, regardless of what your doctor prescribes."

That's their business to decide what they will and will not pay for.....it is NOT the government's job to tell an insurance company what they will and will not pay for. If you have an insurance company that won't pay for what you need, you have (used to have) the option of finding one that will......but those days are gone with the "one size fits all" Big Brother insurance mandates.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/29/12 - 08:36 am

TParty.... I agree with your

TParty.... I agree with your 7:32 post whole heartedly. (with a healthy, pre-screened whole heart :-) )

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/29/12 - 08:39 am
Bizkit
21951
Bizkit 11/29/12 - 09:34 am

The first study indicated

The first study indicated obese people may have false low PSA's then another study questioned it's efficacy. It's science folks so given the data of it's usefullness I wouldn't throw the baby out yet because of contrary data. It needs more study. The digital exam is no better because you can palpate only part of the prostate and it can be prostitiis or normal hypertrophy. As far as Obamacare, the cost of health care is rising and not going down. The saving promised will be decades in the making-which translates it will never come to fruition and the CBO has said as much. Right now the cost is rising as predicted by the plan. You can read the dang thang on Wikipedia.

Techfan
Techfan 11/29/12 - 09:37 am

Overuse of the PSA leads to

Overuse of the PSA leads to too many false positives (some studies have shown as much as 40% false positives) and the evidence is leaning away from frequent PSA's. It's age and risk dependent.

Bizkit
21951
Bizkit 11/29/12 - 09:37 am

You can have both and still

You can have both and still have prostate cancer-however most prostate cancers are slow growing and take years to kill. Just like mammography misses many breast cancers. It doesn't mean it isn't useful. We need as many diagnostic tools as possible-different genotypes may present differently and respond differently. It's going molecular medicine.

Bizkit
21951
Bizkit 11/29/12 - 09:41 am

It isn't necessarily a

It isn't necessarily a useless test but the govt rules force physcians to over react to a false positive because of fear of retribution. A tests has to be evaluated with risks, and other factors specific to the individual. The test is just one tool-not an absolute indicator of cancer. PSA is a kalikrien protein that liquifies semen and other normal functions.

mikesaul
mikesaul 11/29/12 - 09:45 am

The only people who are “over

The only people who are “over utilize” their healthcare are, generally, those who pay little to NONE of their own healthcare expenses, to begin with! And Obamacare's primary focus was never to "improve" the healthcare system, but to buy more of those votes by putting more people in the "class" that will pay NONE of their own healthcare costs!

The rest of us will see no improvements in healthcare services/products, many degradations of healthcare services/products, reductions in availability of many healthcare services/products, and nothing but RISING premiums!

Already, my premiums for next year are increasing by at least 103% (and for those numerically-challenged, that doesn't mean 3% more, but more than DOUBLE!). Even the "baseline" plan my company offered was going to increase by 165%, so the company dropped it.

And I have not heard from ANYONE, yet, who has experienced any REDUCTIONS in their premiums!

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/29/12 - 09:55 am

Rooks writes(My I'm feeling

Rooks writes: (My I'm feeling clever this morning) "I have not read the health-care bill, but I have listened to some doctors whom I trust more than any people in Washington, D.C. This is what they are saying: A lot of our good doctors are going to retire; then it will be hard to find a doctor who will take a Medicare patient."

Use analogy's if you must but they can be answered with our own. My daughter and son-in-law are a team of practicing medical doctors in a mid sized hospital out in Washington state. As of this writing, they are very happy with the upcoming implementation of the Affordable Healthcare act. Both have read and understand the law and to put it simply, to them it means that they will now be able to practice medicine instead of business. I like that analogy better than the ambiguous and poorly thought out statement "I have not read the health-care bill, but I have listened to some doctors" arguement used by the letter writer.

They made the choice to use their education for it's true purpose rather than see it as a profitable business enterprise. Man, am I proud of those kids. I didn't raise my son-in-law, but I did raise my daughter and she picked the right guy.

And just to let you know, sure a lot of good doctors are going to retire. Their getting old and can afford to because of the business practices they've employed over their careers. Nothing wrong with making a buck off of human suffering and misery in America is there? I suspect that the best-and most, those who practice medicine for altruistic reasons, won't be going anywhere soon. That's the kind of doctor I want working on me and mine anyway.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/29/12 - 10:08 am

mikesaul11/29/12 - 08:45 am

mikesaul writes: "The only people who are “over utilize” their healthcare are, generally, those who pay little to NONE of their own healthcare expenses, to begin with!"

When a response begins with a piece of hyperbole such as this it's time to stop reading right there and respond.

I use the VA medical system and pay nothing. My spouse uses Tricare for life and we pay along with medicare about $2,400.00 a year. Maybe that's nothing to some, a little to others and to the average retiree a burden(a cheat to those of us who served with the promise of free for life-another case for another day) but to categorically state that "the only people who overuse" is just plain misinformed. Obviously, Mr. Saul has not sat in a VA or Military Hospital clinic waiting room with all those "abusers" of services.

I'd like to see some of our regular posters(with whom I regularly disagree) who are Veterans reply to Mr. Sauls post. A little education could be a good thing.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/29/12 - 10:15 am

Mikesaul

The cost of my family's healthcare rose dramatically this year as well. And, the trend toward the best minds being replaced with lesser ones who will work for less, will accelerate. Clearly not a good sign for the future.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/29/12 - 10:35 am

RA

I wish AC had a 1/2 Thumbs Up and a 1/2 Thumbs Down. I agree and disagree with some of your post...gave a thumbs up anyway.

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 11/29/12 - 10:42 am

I don't trust it

I'm 58 and have been paying into Medicare and Social Security all my life because it's the law! Now they are talking about raising the retirement age, and that there's not much money left for us older folks. Excuse me, but those have always been special taxes for specific purposes. They are not to be used for any other purposes. Obama is taking money out of Medicare to pay for his pet project, and that is called stealing. I'm sorry, but I don't trust ANYTHING about this current administration, and that is based on facts.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/29/12 - 10:42 am

RA says "They made the choice

RA says "They made the choice to use their education for it's true purpose rather than see it as a profitable business enterprise. "

So they only charge enough to cover expenses, and get no profit at all, right? Or are you speaking hypocritically?

twolane
twolane 11/29/12 - 10:56 am

no death panels eh

no its not called a death panel however you do have an unelected board that will make decisions on whether or not you will recieve costly treatments based on your age and how much you contribute to society in taxes...if you think its a myth then you havent read the bill....just like our elected officials NEVER read the bill...we had to pass it to see whats in it and still noone one knows whats in this TAX according to the supreme court

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 11/29/12 - 11:04 am

Obamacare has nothing to do with health

First, very few have read the bill. Many sections end " to be determined by HHS secretary" Many of the provisions and policies have yet to be written and will be decided by "unelected" bureaucrat or panel. As I stated Obamacare is all about Power and Federal take over of 20% of the US economy. Look down the road and you will hear your congressman say, " if you don't re-elect me, my opponent will cut your health care services". Having such a important part of our lives in the hands of politicians is a bad, bad thing. We will be enslaved further to Washington DC. This is the plan and it is almost complete.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/29/12 - 11:12 am

RMSHEFF..... You must be a

RMSHEFF..... You must be a racist. :-) Why else would you state such damning facts about Obamacare?

Bizkit
21951
Bizkit 11/29/12 - 11:28 am

Physicians are more business

Physicians are more business people and less physician now. Note lately how your physician spends most of his/her time typing medical records rather than interacting with patients. More overhead too with more bureacracy and staff. Physicans have ot argue over the phone with some insurance rep. who knows nothing of medicine. The fact is most physicians will tell you the move to medical records will be two years of hell with less money. Physicians have to be prepared to make less when considering medical school costs. Most physicians encourage people to become PA and note how hospitals use them more and more in emergency rooms, etc. _just have a physician on staff too. It's ridiculous.

Jane18
Jane18 11/29/12 - 11:35 am

"Those who pay little to none of their own healthcare...........

Retired, I believe Mike Saul was talking about some of those "entitled" folks, of whom are a bunch of liars, thieves, hypochondriacs, and those that think anything they do not have to pay for themselves, can and should be used by them. As soon as I read Mike Saul's first sentence, I agreed 100%, BECAUSE I know someone just like that!! I've mentioned them before , my cousin and her worthless husband. I cannot begin to tell of the stupid things she and her husband have gone to doctors for, and/or had surgeries(and that's only the few things I do know about). They pay for nothing Retired!! Do you understand that? They are both "government babies", sucking, sucking, sucking, from every "teat" of our government! I want to ask you and techfan, is there anything that this president and his administration have done, or going to do, is something you do NOT like or agree with? I know this may be hard to believe, but they are not perfect in their thinking, about anything!! Hey, my family doctor has also been warning me, and he is not an old man.........Retired, I know you are proud of your daughter and her husband, but, you have to know, if they think along the same lines as you and vote as you, you will understand if we are still skeptical of anything you say supporting obamacare.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/29/12 - 11:40 am

Jane18.....I'm even skeptical

Jane18.....I'm even skeptical of his moniker.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/29/12 - 11:53 am

--i quess its ok for the libs

--i quess its ok for the libs to expect everything to be free or cheap. after all the obumler crowd lives off the tax dollar, demand more and somehow the libs think that is noble. so it comes as no surprise to hear a comment like "why should a doctor make money off human suffering'... to most doctors this characterization is ugly and totally unfair..they have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on education and countless hours in residency and training. they and their families have sacrificed plenty..they employ many people including RNs etc...and i getting a little tired of the left protraying anyone of wealth as evil and corrupt....

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 11/29/12 - 11:54 am

Humble Angle

You are correct ! Any criticism directed toward Obama's policies are viewed by liberals as racist and hateful. Could it be that they are the real racist ?

burninater
burninater 11/29/12 - 12:27 pm

There is nothing factual in

There is nothing factual in predictions that the unwritten portions of Obamacare will lead to despotism. Such predictions show a fundamental lack of understanding of our Constitution, and of our system of governance. Any changes to the healthcare law are subject to court challenge and judicial review. Any portion of the law, present and future, can be overturned by a legislative majority.

It is predictions like these that increase distrust and discomfort with those candidates that express them, as they demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding of the system of American governance outlined in the Constitution.