Writer can't see past skin

Leslie J. Pollard Sr.’s letter “Race motivates attacks” (Nov. 20) has motivated me to respond to his simplistic, narrow-minded and judgmental commentary.

I know The Augusta Chronicle’s editorial staff is more than capable of defending itself and can make this argument, but the writer’s dogmatic attitude is one that is being attributed not only to The Chronicle but to conservatives and Republicans in general who disagree with the president and his administration on the direction his policies are taking the country.

I can remember presidents, both Republican and Democrat, going back to Eisenhower, and I can’t recall a president more arrogant or egotistical than the one we now have. He represents and promotes programs and policies that are diametrically opposite of what I believe – free enterprise; less government bureaucracy; the right to self-determination; the Constitution; the principle of justice; Christian values; and the sanctity of life. I was and am opposed to this president because of our differing opinions on these issues, and not because of the color of his skin.

It scares and angers me that a letter writer with a Ph.D. after his name may be teaching in one of our universities or colleges and spewing this kind of bigotry to our young people, and it saddens me that someone with this education cannot see beyond the color barrier and understand that intelligent folks have different views based on core beliefs and values, not their skin type.

Mr. Pollard appears to have become what he accused The Chronicle of being, and by association the readers who agree – a bigot and a racist.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/27/12 - 06:14 am
this is a good indication on

this is a good indication on why the young college vote went obumler. as the verse in thick as brick goes ''i may make you feel but i cant make you think". we got to many voters who go by emotion and not by common sense and grey matter....

Techfan
Techfan 11/27/12 - 06:20 am
" can’t recall a president

" can’t recall a president more arrogant or egotistical than the one we now have." Did you sleep through Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, and G W Bush?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/27/12 - 06:42 am
please tell me when reagan

please tell me when reagan bush or even nixon said " i won'' in meeting with republicans as a way of ending any ideas contrary to his own..how bout when he said "you can get on the bus but you got to sit in the back." how about the way he pits one american vrs another american...how about making his voice in prepared speeches sorta echo to make him sound god like...how about his speech about stopping the rise in the sea levels..and how people would finally care with his nomination..hes a fist class arrogant egotistical person who simply loves himself...he is not a leader in the true sense of the word but a minipulater of emotions to his own further his own gain...

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/27/12 - 06:48 am
how aout lecturing the

how aout lecturing the sumpreme court in a state of the union speech when they could not respond..and when they had to sit there and listen to his crap..how about inviting RYAN to speech on the budget, giving him a front row seat so he could lecture him on budgets etc when he could not respond..and this coming from a man who never had to run anything in his life...and being a community agiatator is NOT running anything..and voting present is not leadership...

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/27/12 - 07:54 am
The Bus

Now nofan, he did say Republicans could ride on the bus, in the back. You know, being the great "uniter" that he is.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/27/12 - 07:56 am
why was that not racial

why was that not racial

Techfan
Techfan 11/27/12 - 07:56 am
"This week the voters of

"This week the voters of America set the direction of our nation for the next four years," he said. "I earned capital in the political campaign and I intend to spend it." "

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/27/12 - 08:00 am
nofanofobama

Good Job, I wish I was the one that said all those nice things about our Hammer & Sickle Man.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/27/12 - 08:11 am
Ummmmmmm

Mr. Bailey Writes: "I can remember presidents, both Republican and Democrat, going back to Eisenhower, and I can’t recall a president more arrogant or egotistical than the one we now have."

Hey Dick Nixon out there in the nether world, according to this expert you're so off the hook. And melatonin had absolutley nothing to do with this well thought out opinion.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 08:17 am
Techfan, when did any of the

Techfan, when did any of the Presidents you mentioned tell the rest of us that we had to ride in the back? There is a huge difference between saying that the voters have spoken and "you have to ride in the back." It's called arrogance.

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/27/12 - 08:17 am
Nofan the young college vote

Nofan the young college vote went for Obama because they fell for the catch phrases. They are still on parents money having a good time, being taught by liberal teachers and do not have a job and family to support. I hope they will change their mind when they do and see where a lot of their taxes go. When you look at your gross and net you realize that programs have to be cut. I hope our Senators and Congress people on both sides can get their heads out of the sand and realize this. President Obama sure doesn't seem to realize this since he spends money like a drunken sailor.

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/27/12 - 08:21 am
Ride in the back

If a white conservative president had said that the media and democrats would have never let up..

SteveSwimmer
SteveSwimmer 11/27/12 - 08:20 am
Reagan's racism

nofanofobama. What? Are you a right wing racist?

Agreed: "Obama has not gone out of his way for Blacks." Also, agree or not: Prof. Pollard provided us with a well said letter. Certainly, one that garnered many more comments than the usual Chronicle letters.

Accordingly, however, Dr. King’s Birthday part in the racism contentions does not consider early on Reagan openly promised Black leaders, especially Hosea Williams, he would see to it Dr. King's Birthday would become a national holiday.

This was stunning to Rev. Williams, since Pres. Carter had regularly refused the very same request. Thus, no matter how the Holiday actually came to be: Reagan gets the credit here. As for Reagan the racist: Well..., there he goes again. At least Reagan was honest with his racism and Black Folks knew exactly where to stand.

Today, the blurring of distinctions leaves plenty of Black Folks wondering "what happened." And, it is here, as everyone can note, "Obama has not gone out of his way for Blacks."

True, Pres. Obama is an evolution beyond Civil Rights; however, the poor Black populace in the equality struggle is still stuck on the back of the bus.

Here, please allow a reprint of my earlier post, on the 15th, honoring Dr. King's Birthday. I think you will get the message:

Hosea Williams, Dr King's favored Field Lieutenant, in his later years, often lamented: "Dr. King's Dream has become a nightmare."

The Black community, via the Democrats, today is economically completely divided and conquered. President Obama along with the other Clinton / Pelosi Negroes are all complicit and prove beyond any doubt the famous, Old Lodge Skins, saying: "The White Black man, he is the strangest Black man of all."

Oh yes, to further their own agenda, the Democrats co-opted the Black intelligentsia along with Black wealth, all the while leaving poor Black folks behind and no where to vote except Democrat. Very clever Democrats manipulated this ruse and have won without a question being asked.

Mr. Oliver from the Washington Post replies:
Yes, you are correct in saying that Reagan's honest racism, showed Black Folk exactly where they stood.

On the day Reagan was elected I along with many other Black Folk in my community went to church to pray for our future in this country. We knew long before he was elected and we thought we had failed. But we didn't.

Reagan was a lesson that taught us no matter how far we had come, we still had so much further to go. And we still have. We knew then what many are realizing now that your rights could be written away with the stroke of a pen.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 08:20 am
JRC2024....slight

JRC2024....slight correction.....When a drunken sailor runs out of money, he usually stops spending. The same can't be said for Obama.

David Parker
David Parker 11/27/12 - 08:37 am
"Meaningful rhetoric"

"more arrogant or egotistical than the one we now have."

"hes a fist class arrogant egotistical person who simply loves himself"

"how about inviting RYAN to speech on the budget"

How bout inviting Gary Johnson to ANYTHING?!?!

Glad yall are concentrating on the platform LOL

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 11/27/12 - 08:53 am
Great Letter...

This letter is on target and well written. Listen when Obama speaks, you will only hear him use , ME, Myself and I. His three favorite people.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/27/12 - 10:00 am
Since we're ALL sharing

Since we're ALL sharing today:

Ah, dreams from Bill

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/27/12 - 10:29 am
steve swimmer..is that the

steve swimmer..is that the best you can do is ask if i'm a racist. i quess you were refering to my in the back of the bus comment? perhaps you are not who you say you are not to catch the irony of obumlers back of the bus comment....i'm a conservative who believes in the individual...you all act like this is the most racist country in the world...its the greatest country under the sun that has done more for all of its citizens than any other country in history..yes there was major injustices committed..but this country has always progessed forward ...sometimes not as fast as we would like...but always forward..when you all quit classifying people in racial groups etc.. maybe we will make more progress.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/27/12 - 10:53 am
Mr. Swimmer

Curious, based on your comments re:Hosea Williams, did you still vote for Obama? Of course, you don't have to answer, just wondered.

Pal
Pal 11/27/12 - 12:50 pm
Retired Army

I think you meant "melanin"-- not "melatonin"--when you wrote your 8:11 post today.

If you're going to continue to insult folks with your ludicrous, race-baiting comments, at least use the correct terms.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 11/27/12 - 01:14 pm
Rolling today

with comments and there are still quite a few hours to go! Let it out folks - let the world know what we think. And as far as "helping" people - how I wish OUR people would be helped FIRST!!! Let some of the other more fluent countries (right now) take over as good samaritans.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 11/27/12 - 02:46 pm
As I've said before....

.....the only racists I see are those that CONSTANTLY view EVERYTHING through the prism of race.....and it's NOT conservatives.....at least not any I know.....

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/27/12 - 03:32 pm
Ah racism.......the perpetual

Ah racism.......the perpetual excuse that just keeps on giving.

Sure wish I had one of those built in excuses for failure and automatic argument stopper that proved me right and you wrong.

Being accused of being a racist no longer even makes me flinch. In fact, I kind of like it because it means you've got nothing.....except a tired old excuse. You can't defend your position and you can't defend the results so you call me a racist and slam the door to your mind. As soon as somebody says racism, I know I've won the argument.

Obama wants to raise taxes. Everybody including Democrats and economists admit that it won't make a dent in the deficit and will probably hurt the economy and cause more unemployment. I disagree with Obama on this issue and I am called a racist. Big deal.

Obamacare is coming and the CBO and the Democrats are already admitting it will cost us twice what they said, that private insurance rates are doubling and tripling, that many doctors will quit, and that healthcare will probably be more restrictive and less responsive than what 85% of us used to have. I disagree with Obama on this issue and I am called a racist. Who cares?

Obama has vowed to kill the use of coal for power production, wants to stop fracking for natural gas, refused to approve the Canandia pipeline, refuses to permit energy resource development on federal lands, has wasted $billions of dollars on bankrupt solar compaies, and has admitted he wants utility bills to skyrocket. I disagree with Obama on all of these issues and I am called a racist. So what?

Obama trots a woman out to lie to us about Benghazi after the truth is known. I question her integrity if she knew she was lying and her competence if she did not verify what she was telling us was true. She DID have access to the truth but did not bother to check or she told us intentional lies. Either way she has a problem and I don't think she is qualified to be ambassador to the UN. I am called a racist. I could care less.

The "liberal" use of the words racism and racist have rendered them totally meaningless. If you use them to mean that I am forbidden to criticize or disagree with any black person who is being paid with my tax money, which is the way those words are being used nowadays, then you have lost your liberal minds. To you I will always be a racist. So sue me. I just don't care anymore. Heck, it's almost like a badge of honor during this administration.

SteveSwimmer
SteveSwimmer 11/27/12 - 03:34 pm
justthefacts: judge for youself

Should I vote for President Obama again or just sit this one out? Steve Swimmer, Atl. GA

Hosea Williams, Dr King's favored Field Lieutenant, in his later years, often said: "Dr. King's Dream has become a nightmare."

The Black community, via the Democrats, today is economically completely divided and conquered. President Obama along with the other Clinton / Pelosi Negroes are all complicit and prove beyond any doubt the famous American Indian, Old Lodge Skins, saying: "The White Black man, he is the strangest Black man of all." Only difference is today the White Black man is far more abundant, far wealthier, whole heartedly accepted by the Democrats and, to the great misfortune of our Great Nation, abandons the poor Black man every chance he gets.

Oh yes, to further their own agenda, the Democrats co-opted the Black intelligentsia along with Black wealth, all the while leaving poor Black Folks behind and no where to vote except Democrat. Very clever Democrats manipulated this ruse and have won without a question being asked. Let me assure you Dr. King is most relevant to the poor Black community.

It is the Clinton / Pelosi Negroes who have forsaken Dr. King. And, from what I can see, most every one of the neo-White Black men have egos so massive they actually believe they made it to their position in life based on their own merits. I mean, some are so thoughtless and self serving "roots" are regarded as excess baggage.

Not in the poor Black areas of our Great Nation. Here, Dr. King inspires great hope and often enough inspiration to lift one out of the socially induced poverty foist upon them by circumstances most cannot even understand.

This is where an unfortunate, for our Great Nation, turn most always occurs. Black Folks with new found money and power, turn into Black people who join the White structure leaving the poor Black community without much power at all.

Here, with the poor, about the only power left is the memory of Dr. King. It is here Dr. King is most relevant and with many good wishes from here another Dr. King will rise again.

President Obama’s “Rootlessness” precludes him from ever being a man of Dr. King’s Great Black stature; and, Dr. Cornel West's "rootlessness" criticism means exactly that.

In fact, had it not been for his "down to earth" Wife, Michelle, I would have called the then Sen. Obama "just another barely Black politico who managed to master the “Lilly White” language of advancement, left it at that and voted for John McCain.

After seeing Mrs. Obama in action, I was convinced under his "master of the language of advancement" cloak there indeed was a real human being. I mean with her, a genuine salt of the earth human, by his side: how could I be wrong? Sooo..., I voted Obama.

Now, I wonder how I could have been so wrong. I mean, not only does President Obama ignore the poor; he, without compunction, orders the killing of “suspects” no matter the death and maiming of innocent bystanders.

What is different from a McCain Presidency?

Pres. Carter dropped no bombs, fired nary a single missile and killed no one, so we know it can be done. Yet, the war profiteers insisted President Carter had to go. No war no profit.

Thus Dr. West has me agreeing with his camp. Pres. Obama has not represented me all that well; and, I complain in hopes Pres. Obama will hear. Rev. Williams was absolutely correct: Dr, King's Dream has become a nightmare; and most certainly, the nightmare is real in the poor Black community.

War Profit: During the Civil Rights era, Dr. King's favored Field Lieutenant, Rev. Hosea Williams taught us: Early on, Dr. Abernathy, Dr. King, he and the others, in the Civil Rights inner circle could see the horrific consequences the Vietnam War poured on the Poor. As their thoughts evolved, it became clear: war profits motivated the carnage.

Studying the economic beneficiaries (follow the money) of war profits showed an endless flowing of Federal dollars; quietly funneled to an influential wealthy few.

Here, poor folks suffer immeasurably while rich military/industrialist along with their ilk, without compunction and with complete impunity, slop up blood soaked dollars by the barrel full.

Rev. Williams would go on to teach: A Civil Rights consensus was developing whereby war profits must be prohibited in order to stop this primary war generator. Without war profit: dollars wasted on war would be utilized for health care, education and other constructive measures.

An assassin's deadly aim ended this Dr. King inspired philosophical train of thought for many years. However, just before Rev. Williams left us to again be Dr. King's Lieutenant, he gave us this answer for ending war for profit.

Amendment XXVIII
Sec. 1. War profit is hereby prohibited.
Sec. 2. Congress will enforce this article with strong legislation.

Our Great Nation must have this legislation in order to take the high ground. I am sure you can agree with me: our guns and butter economy cannot keep up with demand.

During W.W.II, our people rationed goods for the war effort and FDR curtailed war profits, in fact, war profiteers were openly despised.

Everyone knew the importance of the war and contributed accordingly. Today the contrast is stunning. While we continue to ply our population with Government financed butter, quietly the military/industrial complex Pres. Eisenhower feared has become even worse and is now the industrial/military complex.

I mean, it has become the tail wagging the dog. Today the industrialists, in bed with the empire builders, tell the military what to buy. When, in the face of technological, biological and chemical threats, many big weapons are obsolete and only serve the purpose of morphing tax monies into war profits.

Sadly, if we the American people are going to outrun the war profiteers, we are on our own. You don't need to be a political historian to realize no politician will dare touch war profits. Not even President Obama can help us here.

He, too, is in too deep. With General Dynamics overseeing his presidential campaign financing, President Obama is part of the war profiteers. Not that he had any choice, in order to win the election, I'm sure.

We merely traded a Halliburton presidency for a General Dynamics presidency.

And, keeping on point, a few weeks after the election General Dynamics was let a large boat building contract up North and is now grabbing electronic security contracts (ensuring they become the next J. Edgar Hoover of secret information). Simply another coincidence, I'm also sure.

All war profiteers, not only the likes of Halliburton and General Dynamics must be stopped if we are ever going to find our way out of the "war forever quagmire" we now have as National Policy.

Margaret Chase Smith said: America is going to get just what it deserves." The way war profiteers are running our country, her point is being proven beyond any shadow of doubt.

KSL
KSL 11/27/12 - 06:01 pm
Dichotomy

Well stated.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/27/12 - 04:14 pm
Thanks SS

Appreciate the answer.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/27/12 - 04:54 pm
I despise

obama not for being black but for using his "blackness" as a devisive tool. College students in America have always been and will continually be "instructed" by beatniks, hippies, communists and left of center fanatics. Just ask "techfan" or "retired army"?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 11/27/12 - 05:56 pm
SteveSwimmer's rant

Steveswimmer's rant sounds just like a sermon Jeremiah Wright gave in 2007.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/27/12 - 06:49 pm
@ SteveSwimmer

Absolute and complete horse hockey. Both of them.

And sad.

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/27/12 - 08:29 pm
Nixon, Reagan, and GW Bush

Nixon, Reagan, and GW Bush never referred to opposing voters as the enemy or asked their supporters to vote for revenge. That dishonor belongs to your messiah Obama, his arrogance surpasses all who came before him.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...