After election, let's reflect

Now that the elections are over, our nation must take time and reflect on what has transpired. We must now stand with and hold accountable each elected official and provide our full-throated support whether we supported them or not.

Furthermore, we must move beyond our unyielding belief in the political party structure in this country. We must understand that when the elections are all concluded, neither political party has our best interest at heart. Political parties live to serve only themselves, and if there ever has been a time when that statement has been true, it is now.

We don’t need to stress ourselves trying to determine how one presidential candidate succeeded while the other did not. It is rather simple and we all know it. Both parties must take a look at their agendas. Although the Democratic Party won the White House, they too must execute some measure of reflection for the future. The Republican Party has a lot of work to do. Mitt Romney’s “gift” comments only deepen the issues that the nation has with the party.

More importantly, every American needs to reflect and understand that we as citizens truly exemplify our ideas of what it means to be an American.

No political party or candidate should be allowed to tell us what we believe in and what matters to us. The sooner we understand the concepts that truly make us great – along with the most important fact that God is from whom all our help comes – we will be that nation that is revered and respected throughout the world, regardless of who is governing from the White House.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 02:20 pm
"Rich people don't spend the

"Rich people don't spend the extra money they get from tax cuts. Poor people do."

Care to back that up with some proof?

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/27/12 - 02:25 pm
"If I(we) want these things

"If I(we) want these things and more, I(we) need to be willing to do my(our) share to help provide them."

Jane Doe1, I do believe most Americans are willing and glady do their share of providing for those who are less fortunate but the issue comes when more and more is required and taken from those who have already provided their share but irresponsible wasteful spending results and no accountability is required.

If I give you $10 to take care of A, B, and C.....but you take care of A and spend the balance on yourself or something not related to B and C. Then you return to me for $10 more to take care of B and C and I give you $10 and you take care of half of B and then spend the rest on something totally nonrelated to B or C. Then you come back to me for $10 more to take care of the rest of B and to take care of C and I tell you no more.........and you think I'm being selfish and uncaring??????

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/27/12 - 02:27 pm
We'll see

Bush tax cuts and the payroll tax holiday all expire in January. Taxes will go up on everybody (that would include the middle class). Good. Be intersting to see how the middle class likes the decrease in spending money.

Jane Doe 1
Jane Doe 1 11/27/12 - 02:36 pm
Taxes for the rich are about

Taxes for the rich are about at an all-time low. During our most prosperous times in this country, the top tax bracket was paying around 90%. Yeah, you heard me right. 90%.

Exxon, despite billions in subsidies, paid no taxes last year.

A hedge fund manager making a billion a year may pay 15% on most of that while a school teacher may pay 32% or more.

Bill Clinton raised taxes on the rich and created 23 million jobs, and a budget SURPLUS, which GW readily spent on two wars, tax CUTS for the rich, etc.

It will not solve ALL our problems, but it’s only fair. I hang out with some pretty rich people, and I can tell you that they have tax benefits that most of us regular folk haven’t even heard of. One example: I know a guy with a business. Every car he buys is a tax write-off. Along with every gallon of gas that goes into it. Every article of clothing he buys is a write-off. Every meal he eats is bought by the company...and is a write-off. They put tons of money into tax shelters in the Caymans.

Last year, 1,500 MILLIONAIRES paid ZERO in taxes. I paid 35%.

No matter what Republicans will tell you, taxing the top 1% another few percentage points will NOT “destroy jobs.” They wouldn’t even notice it.

Rush Limbaugh has saved around $20,000,000.00 on GW’s tax cuts over the past 10 years. But when we ask for 1/2 a percent of income over 1 million a year to help put 2 million people back to work, they scream bloody murder. I don’t make anywhere near a million bucks and I could easily handle a 10% increase in taxes. Easily.

Jane Doe 1
Jane Doe 1 11/27/12 - 02:38 pm
And about your article

And about your article Angela, nice try but...

This article is absolute garbage.

The graph doesn’t take into account the WILD difference in income inequality, which would make the federal receipts from top tax earners change so dramatically.

The fact of the matter is that when you lower taxes, you lower revenue.
Just google “US tax revenue by year” and you will see that one of the fastest drops in federal tax revenue came through Bush’s tax cuts.

Where is the inflation factor in this graph? As well as other economic factors. By this logic 0% Taxes would produce the greatest revenue. Under Eisenhower and Clinton we actually could balance the Federal Budget, both with higher taxes. There are times to cut and times to raise taxes. Even Reagan held that idea. Get real about our need for revenue in our deficit crisis. You want a Great Nation? You can’t do it on the cheap. Americans have to make sacrifices for their country especially those who have benefited most.

You conservatives/republicans just hate factual statistics, don’t you?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 02:47 pm
I see....ask for

I see....ask for proof......when I provide proof...you don't believe it. How do you argue with someone like that?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 02:49 pm
"The fact of the matter is

"The fact of the matter is that when you lower taxes, you lower revenue."

I showed you exactly how that statement is incorrect and you still don't believe it? Good grief.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 02:54 pm
Conservative Man
Conservative Man 11/27/12 - 02:57 pm
There you go again....

....If you count the number of times you "proggies" use the word "hate" it is far and away more times than any of us conservatives use the word.....When will you people ever stop constantly, consistently trying to paint those of us who believe you to be wrong as haters?
Have you ever heard of the term "semantic saturation?...by using the same tired , trite mindless words over and over,( like racist) you do absolutely NOTHING to further your cause.
Quite the contrary, you paint yourselves as robots, with no critical thinking skills...and it becomes BEYOND tedious.....
FYI...as a conservative I don't "hate" people....I DO however abhor some of the ideas you put forth.....that's not hate...that's political differences....
Calling it "hate" does NOT make it so......
You guys can do better than that .....do it!!

allhans
allhans 11/27/12 - 03:06 pm
Mr Swimmer had me going

Mr Swimmer had me going there, for a minute I thought he was against hate. Foolish me.

bigj706
bigj706 11/27/12 - 03:19 pm
I want to see all these lazy

I want to see all these lazy people who just lay there and do nothing. Use government phones and collect on others I think they were to busy collecting to vote so it has to be some working people voting for the current office.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 03:29 pm
No...you got banned for

No...you got banned for violating the terms of posting.....that simple.

And don't call me "honey"

burninater
burninater 11/27/12 - 03:34 pm
In other words...it's ok to

In other words...it's ok to tax them unfairly, because they are rich. How is that NOT comtempt for their fellow man?
--------
You are correct HA, it is contemptuous of our fellow man to tax someone unfairly because they are rich. For an example, Romney's effective tax rate being lower than the majority of Americans simply because he is rich, is unfair and therefore contemptuous.

It is heartening that you are beginning to see that tax reform is about returning fairness, and decreasing contempt.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 03:38 pm
I agree. But he is taxed far

I agree. But he is taxed far more than ZERO. It is also heartening to see that you believe that EVERYONE should be taxed equally.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 03:41 pm
"Of the several other times

"Of the several other times published, only the Chronicle chose to censure the piece. But, then, ya'll do live in Augusta. Sooo.., I do understand why you are kind'a sensitive."

You posted personal attacks on ME on other sites? Why?

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/27/12 - 03:57 pm
Jeez

Mitt Romney gave the Federal gov't $6.2 million and donated another $7 million to charity. The majority of Americans won't come within Jennifer Lopez's rear end of that amount in their entire life. But, instead of thanking him, he is villified. They play around with percentages and say, "that's only 14%". Well yeah, 14% of a lot! We don't pay the debt down with percentages, we use real bucks. Where else do we do this?? Customer: Hello, I would like a ticket to see Fail Safe. Ticket Taker:, OK Sir, that will be .4% of your weekly gross income.

burninater
burninater 11/27/12 - 03:54 pm
I agree. But he is taxed far

------
HA, perhaps you can finally resolve this mystery for me. How the heck are payroll taxes not taxes? How the heck can people say, with a straight face, that people that pay payroll taxes pay ZERO tax? Where does that even begin to be intellectually honest?

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/27/12 - 03:59 pm
Payroll Taxes

Are paid into Social Security not the general fund. In theory, you get the money back. Notice, I said in theory.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 03:59 pm
Sorry.... income tax. If you

Sorry.... income tax. If you get more back than you paid in (many do...see EIC) then you pay zero income tax.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 04:00 pm
And their are MANY who pay

And their are MANY who pay ZERO taxes. If all of your income is from a government handout, then you pay ZERO taxes.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 04:02 pm
It's no more mysterious than

It's no more mysterious than my income being taxed once...then if I invest it and get a return, taxing that money again and having everyone think that since the second time it was taxed was lower than the first, that the overall tax paid was less. No less mysterious and no less intellectually dishonest.

burninater
burninater 11/27/12 - 04:12 pm
Ya JTF, I think we agree

Ya JTF, I think we agree that's a distinction without a difference. It kind of irks me that many anti-taxers try to play both sides of that one, saying the Social Security fund has been pillaged for general funding, but then claiming that payroll taxes don't count because they go to the Social Security fund.

And HA, let's be clear about that word MANY. According to Forbes, the MANY number is actually 18.1%, and of that number, more than half are households headed by a senior citizen. http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetnovack/2012/09/17/memo-to-mitt-romney-t...

MANY is actually less than 9%. I don't know if an argument about the word MANY would be fruitful, but I would be surprised if I thought either of us would be making the argument that 9% is MANY.

Misdirecting the tax reform conversation because less than 9% of the poorest Americans are too poor to pay taxes probably will not yield any type of positive reform addressing our substantial fiscal problems.

burninater
burninater 11/27/12 - 04:15 pm
No offense, but I don't agree

No offense, but I don't agree the double taxation argument is intellectually honest either. If I invest half of my savings in a McDonald's franchise, does that mean half the earnings from that McDonald's should suddenly be exempt from taxation? Why not? My invested savings were already taxed once. How are the earnings from other equity investments suddenly immune?

burninater
burninater 11/27/12 - 04:25 pm
Maybe I misunderstand the

Maybe I misunderstand the capital gains tax, correct me if I have this wrong: earnings, not initial investments, are taxed. Is that incorrect? If correct, the double taxation theme is not true from the get-go. (Someone let me know if I misunderstand the capital gains tax ...)

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/27/12 - 04:36 pm
One explanation

Burn, from the net: "A government can choose to tax either the value of an asset or its yield, but it should not tax both. Capital gains are literally the appreciation in the value of an existing asset. Any appreciation reflects merely an increase in the after-tax rate of return on the asset. The taxes implicit in the asset’s after-tax earnings are already fully reflected in the asset’s price or change in price. Any additional tax is strictly double taxation.6"

burninater
burninater 11/27/12 - 06:14 pm
Let’s start with some

"Let’s start with some definitions. What exactly is a capital gain? A capital gain is when the sale price of an asset is higher than the initial purchase price. Let’s say you buy a diamond ring for $5,000 and sell it a year later for $6,000. The amount of capital gain is $1,000. There’s also such a thing as a capital loss, when the selling price of an asset is less than the original purchase price. But we’ll talk more about that later.
The capital gains tax takes a percentage of all realized capital gains. This is an important distinction. A capital gain is said to be "realized" when the asset is sold. An unrealized capital gain is an asset that has increased in value, but has not been sold. The IRS can only tax you on capital gains that you’ve sold and collected."

Not being a finance guy, I had to find a clearer explanation.

It's pretty clear from this that only gains are taxed, not the money spent purchasing the asset. This is clearly not double taxation.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/27/12 - 06:54 pm
Amazing just how shallow an LTE can be...

...and still make it into print.

Brandon, it would have been quicker and more to the point if you had just quoted the late, great Rodney King. Whining is optional.

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/27/12 - 08:40 pm
Just be ready fellow God

Just be ready fellow God loving conservatives, I know many of you are. There is a reason ammo has become harder to come by, many of us are stocking up for the inevitable. The religion hating liberals are becoming more and more aggresive in their pursuit of Christian religious persecution and the day is coming to stand our ground and put an end to their unreasonable behaviour and actions. It is sad what they are bringing upon theirself but I have no sympathy for them, you reap what you sow and they have sowed plenty enough.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/27/12 - 10:02 pm
burninater...."How the heck

burninater...."How the heck can people say, with a straight face, that people that pay payroll taxes pay ZERO tax?"

Payroll taxes are NOT federal income taxes. All discussions here are about the federal income tax. All comments about people not paying taxes are referring to federal income tax.

That is the problem with liberals. We can explain it to you but we can't understand it for you.