After election, let's reflect

Now that the elections are over, our nation must take time and reflect on what has transpired. We must now stand with and hold accountable each elected official and provide our full-throated support whether we supported them or not.

Furthermore, we must move beyond our unyielding belief in the political party structure in this country. We must understand that when the elections are all concluded, neither political party has our best interest at heart. Political parties live to serve only themselves, and if there ever has been a time when that statement has been true, it is now.

We don’t need to stress ourselves trying to determine how one presidential candidate succeeded while the other did not. It is rather simple and we all know it. Both parties must take a look at their agendas. Although the Democratic Party won the White House, they too must execute some measure of reflection for the future. The Republican Party has a lot of work to do. Mitt Romney’s “gift” comments only deepen the issues that the nation has with the party.

More importantly, every American needs to reflect and understand that we as citizens truly exemplify our ideas of what it means to be an American.

No political party or candidate should be allowed to tell us what we believe in and what matters to us. The sooner we understand the concepts that truly make us great – along with the most important fact that God is from whom all our help comes – we will be that nation that is revered and respected throughout the world, regardless of who is governing from the White House.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 11/27/12 - 03:19 am
So many of us seem to have forgotten the traditional hierarchy

of priorities, as taught to previous generations. In order of importance, our duties were to "God," family, and country, which is to say, live your philosophy, take care of your family, and then do your part for your country, which should begin at the community level. I think most of us have enough to do without inviting manufactured hysteria from the for-profit political entertainment industry.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/27/12 - 07:25 am
"We must now stand with and

"We must now stand with and hold accountable each elected official and provide our full-throated support whether we supported them or not."

I keep seeing this **** statement and asking myself.....why in the world would I now "provide my full-throated support" for an elected official if what that official stood for goes completely against what I believe and stand for?

Techfan
Techfan 11/27/12 - 08:15 am
""God," family, and country".

""God," family, and country". The problem is, my God doesn't hate gays, immigrants, people of other faiths, the poor and downtrodden, isn't a fan of massive military spending and endless wars while people go hungry, wouldn't support a tax system that allows the wealthy to accumulate the vast majority of wealth, didn't rail against taxes, wouldn't support companies raping and poisoning the land for monetary gain, and doesn't believe that just because you have more than someone else that you're smarter or work harder. He actually said, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." Evidently, the GOP worships a different God.

americafirst
americafirst 11/27/12 - 08:58 am
"a tax system that allows the

"a tax system that allows the wealthy to accumulate the vast majority of wealth." That comment illustrates the difference between us, Techfan. You beleive the tax system is supposed to advance some utopian view of fairness and income equality. I believe the tax system should support the gov't in providing basic government services and the security of the country. In other words, to govern. No more and no less.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/27/12 - 09:16 am
tech. just want to make sure

tech. just want to make sure i understand you.. your belief contains no right or wrong as stated in scripture..but yet you still qoute scripture...you do know scripture also says thou shall not covet...and its not money but the love of money that is the root of evil...i know a lot of politicians and fellow citizens that sure covet and love other peoples money...

allhans
allhans 11/27/12 - 04:17 pm
This "hate" stuff makes me

This "hate" stuff makes me wonder how people find the time. It is past tiresome.

IE ..I disapprove of my neighbor leaving his dog in the backyard with no shelter. Do I "hate" him. Of course not.

I disapprove of the way our leaders are running the country. Do I "hate" them? How utterly insane. I hardly know them.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 09:24 am
Hmmmm...Techfan seems to

Hmmmm...Techfan seems to really know a lot about what God is thinking. I wonder where he gets his information. Could it be that he's just making it up to bolster his argument? Naaaaah....he would never do that.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 09:31 am
"a tax system that allows the

So techfan....you believe our tax system should PREVENT accumulation of wealth? All this time I thought taxes were used to fund basic operations of the government, not for social engineering. What was I thinking? Why even try to be wealthy when the likes of you are determined to keep it from happening?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 09:37 am
In the mind of the liberal,

In the mind of the liberal, anyone who dissaproves of something must therefore hate it. I think Freud called that transference.

SteveSwimmer
SteveSwimmer 11/27/12 - 09:47 am
Hate, hate, hate; all we need is “hate.”

allhans, thanks for a sensible comment. They are all to few in the Chronicle.

Aristotle taught the Jews’ Abraham was originally India’s Brahma. A quick study proves many similarities making the Aristotle teaching quite plausible. From there people divided into the other Abraham religions through standard human power struggles all utilizing hate of the “other” group as a power source.

Today only slivers of difference separate Christian, Jewish and Muslim fundamentalist; yet, each is willing to kill for the sake of minutia within their own beliefs. What mammoth egos! I mean, so sure you are right you are willing to kill a fellow human being over a faith based belief system.

It is easy to denigrate or “insult” the ugly Muslim stuff, after all just look how ugly many Muslims make themselves out to be; all the while presenting themselves as “holier than thou.”

Much the same for Christians. Ask the people who lived here before our Great Nation was so great; the people we today like to call “indigenous,” the people who suffered the brunt of Christian hate.

Back then they were “savage” Indians, the hate group of the era. Many of them rubbed out forever via Small Pox impregnated blankets issued by fine upstanding Christian Clergy who openly preached: Small Pox was God’s way to rid the Land of the Savage. Just like the modern day Christian hate crowd says about AIDS and the homosexual community.
The big factors classifying indigenous people as “Savages” were religious and philosophical differences with Christianity.

Not only did the “Savages” have no use for Jesus; “Savages” saw life through different eyes. By notable example, the hated “Savages,” saw homosexuality as “Two Spirits.” The “Savage” Indian thinking being: these human beings are endowed with special abilities to see life through the eyes of both male and female “spirit.” Thus, homosexual “spirits” were to be treated with extreme respect.

Well, it does not take a degree from a right wing Christian college to know the Clergy would not accept such, no matter how correct the Indian way was over Christian religious belief.

Jews learned early: Hate groups are natural social cohesion factors and Christian clergy, exactly like Muslim clergy, have played on the theme regularly to keep their flock in line. The “gay hate” thing is simply another of the clergy’s control tools.

Unfortunately, the flock sometimes gets too excited and runs amuck like enraged Muslims of today or yesteryear’s infamous Crusading Christian Tafurs who slaughtered every living human in Constantinople and Jerusalem, cannibalized their Muslim victims and especially loved eating the tender babies.

But, even though they slaughtered any Jew they could catch along the way, the bodies of the Jews were considered too dirty to eat and were left to rot.

On the other hand, my Catholic acquaintance, who glorifies the Crusades, even though the Catholic rendition of the Crusades is biased to the point of total disbelief, insists the Tafurs themselves spread the "rumor" of cannibalism to scare their enemies into running away. I guess if you can believe in a talking snake you can believe the Tafurs were fine upstanding good Christian folks.

Of course, we are all aware the Catholic psy-ops team does what it can to cover up today’s Church atrocities; surely, they did the same back then for the Crusaders.

Jesus taught us Heaven is really small, so I can only imagine the silver slippers being quite tiny and the streets of gold pretty narrow. Thus, if you are going to die a Christian, get ready to rub elbows with the likes of Tafurs, preachers who murdered Indians, this latest bunch of gay haters and on and on. I mean, basking in the Glory of God, sounds real swell; but, what about all the surrounding hate?

Muslim, Christian or Jew: If Brahma only knew, surely he would have controlled his philosophy rather than let all of this warped hatred religious evolution plague humanity.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 10:32 am
Nevermind

The above post isn't even worth commenting on.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/27/12 - 10:59 am
How smart

I don't know how smart Angela is , but I bet she recognizes hypocrisy when she sees it.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 11:09 am
Oh I certianly recognize it!

Oh I certianly recognize it! I also recognize blatant violations of the posting policy, far less of which got my prior moniker banned.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/27/12 - 11:18 am
SteveSwimmer11/27/12 - 09:23 am

I don't get to say things like that anymore.

Mr. Swimmer don't worry about it. Robust responses are not welcome here. This is "Genteel" Augusta.

As for some of the regular posters here I might suggest that an ignore option be used. All you'll get is smarmy little comments and never a resolution. Not worth the time.

If the post has "disappeared" by the time others read this, please feel free to email me via this publication. I saved a copy.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 11:39 am
I see some people are in full

I see some people are in full favor of personal attacks. That's why they use terms like "target" for a debate partner. I think that says a great deal about a person's character. Makes me wonder what kind of person saves personal attacks when they see them posted here.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 11:40 am
Oh yeah...pet peve of

Oh yeah...pet peve of mine.

"Glad I got to read Swimmers post before our moderator pulls it at the behest of it's target."

"It's" is a contraction of "It is."

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/27/12 - 11:42 am
i hope ss comments are not

i hope ss comments are not removed..but it is dribble and not factual..

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/27/12 - 11:57 am
"Jesus taught us Heaven is

"Jesus taught us Heaven is really small, so I can only imagine the silver slippers being quite tiny and the streets of gold pretty narrow"

Only one sentence in a vast of incorrect postings at 8:47am by someone who evidently has no clue what the subject in which they are talking about. A simple study on the Tafurs and a basic bible study program would remedy this.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 11/27/12 - 12:05 pm
Robust responses welcome

Just don't insult other commenters on our site. It's a sign of a failed argument. Go somewhere else if you want to engage in that sort of debate.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/27/12 - 12:27 pm
“…my God doesn't hate gays,

“…my God doesn't hate gays, immigrants, people of other faiths, the poor and downtrodden, isn't a fan of massive military spending and endless wars while people go hungry, wouldn't support a tax system that allows the wealthy to accumulate the vast majority of wealth, didn't rail against taxes, wouldn't support companies raping and poisoning the land for monetary gain, and doesn't believe that just because you have more than someone else that you're smarter or work harder.”

Good Techfan, because mine doesn’t hate gays, immigrants, or people of other faith either…..the difference is my God does care about and hates sinful behavior and calls us to repent and turn from our sinful behavior, He’s not so concerned about others “faith” but with others having a personal relationship with Him, He cares about the poor and downtrodden and commands us to “help” those who are, but by the same token, also requires responsibility on those when help is given. He doesn’t care about a tax system but He does require 10% of what He has already given you.

Problem is, so many want to “preach” what God is (or so they think) but only want to quote the easy parts they agree with to make their point, not the hard part where obedience and submission to an awesome God is required (which is the part they conveniently leave out).

bigj706
bigj706 11/27/12 - 01:26 pm
Everbody on both sides uses

Everbody on both sides uses what they want out of quotes. I see we cant get past this and no one wants to come together just stand there with you lips poked out and your arms crossed. Thats why we will never get anywhere as a nation its not a competition its our lives not everyone is lazy and not everyone wants to stop people from achieving wealth COME ON PEOPLE!

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/27/12 - 01:39 pm
Techfan......"The problem is,

Techfan......"The problem is, my God doesn't ........."

Techfan, the problem is that your god doesn't do anything except play golf, go on vacations, campaign, blame someone else for the result of his first 4 years, and buy votes with taxpayer money to the unions and food stamp crowd. No god would endorse a system where half of the people have to pay all of the bills for the other half. A tax system like we have today don't even pass the smell test. And the tax system has little or nothing to do with creating rich people. In ALL years of various tax rates thoughout this country's history the rich made money, or held onto their money, because they ARE smarter, work harder, and take risks investing their money and they ARE also smarter than these pathetic politicians who will try to take their money away for the next 4 years. And in all of those periods where we had high tax rates the goernment never saved a nickel. They spent it all and more. We are and have been perpetually broke and in huge debt and they will do it again with these tax increases.

"wouldn't support a tax system that allows the wealthy to accumulate the vast majority of wealth"

The tax system should only be concerned with EVERYBODY paying tax on what they make. It's only when the politicians started exempting half of the people from paying federal income taxes that we started having these increasingly huge debts and class warfare. Sure, the people who don't pay love it and the people who do pay hate it and if you ever think that is going to change you are a fool. The federal income tax was intended to be paid by everyone who made any money. It was never intended to be used as a punishment or as a social engineering tool.

You can hate the rich. You can dribble your little tirades against them. But you cannot beat them. I'll be thinking about that camel thingy but I suspect the rich folks can manufacture a larger needle or genetically engineer a teeny tiny camel and all of the Democrats will tweeting on their Obamaphones "that ain't FAIR". But no, that would be, as always, that they took the parameters you gave them and beat you at your own game while you sat with that smug grin making snarky remarks and thinking that you had finally won. If there is a heaven, and if you ever get there, I am sure you will find rich people there and they will probably hold the mortgage on your cloud and own the harp string concession.

Jane Doe 1
Jane Doe 1 11/27/12 - 02:51 pm
I don't know whether to be

"If I had to go through a bunch of crap years ago to get where I am, then everyone else should have to go through the same crap now to get to where I am!"

What happened to striving to improve the human condition and leave the world a better place than you found it? How about we just go back to prehistory and make everyone hunt with stone-tipped spears for their survival?

Moreover, if people who get upset over poor people getting "handouts" would get one tenth as upset per dollar over corporations and financial manipulators who receive government subsidies and tax breaks, Wall Street and corporate political interests would have been brought to their knees years ago.

The United States has a consumer driven economy. When employers don't pay their employees enough to consume the products they sell, they are only shooting themselves in the foot.

When you don't invest in your human capital, the entire economy suffers.

Only those at the top survive with their loopholes and breaks while those at the bottom are subsidized with the tax revenue of the middle class forcing an ever increasing income disparity as those in the middle are forced to pay more.

Our system is beyond broken. These companies push anti-union messaging because they know if workers were paid fairly it would cut into their profits and the billions they would like to keep for themselves. If they treated their workers fairly, with proper benefits and wages to begin with there would be no need for unions.

Listening to corporate brainwashed lower income conservatives is like watching people throw sand in their eyes and tell us how much they like it.

I'm not against making a profit nor or any of the more liberal minded people I know, we're against greed and unethical business behavior. When you defend these companies who screw your friends, family, and neighbors you become just as guilty as those who cause the financial harm in the first place.

Please wake up to the obvious reality in front of our faces. I'm not an economist, just an American who pays attention and cares about the welfare of the entire nation, not just myself.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 02:54 pm
"I don't know whether to be

"I don't know whether to be amused or appalled by people's capacity to develop moral justification for their selfishness and their contempt for their fellow man."

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 03:00 pm
Contempt for their fellow

Contempt for their fellow man? This from someone who said "It does not in any way affect most Americans, only those with astronomical incomes."

In other words...it's ok to tax them unfairly, because they are rich. How is that NOT comtempt for their fellow man?

Jane Doe 1
Jane Doe 1 11/27/12 - 03:06 pm
"So it's selfish or greedy to

"So it's selfish or greedy to want to be able to keep what you worked for, but not to want to take what someone worked for away from them? I don't get it."

Angela,

I have yet to meet anyone who was successful all on their own. We all benefit from giving back to society and creating the infrastructure we have.

I WANT police and fire protection.

I WANT good schools with adequate teachers and materials needed for the children.

I WANT for sick people to have medical care.

I WANT decent roads to travel on to get to my job.

I WANT seniors to be able to live comfortably and not in squalor.

I WANT mothers to be able to feed their children.

If I(we) want these things and more, I(we) need to be willing to do my(our) share to help provide them.

I voted for Jill Stein but had I been in a swing state I would've voted for Obama. I don't collect food stamps, welfare, social security, medicare or medicaid, aid to dependent children, a home mortgage interest deduction, or even a brick of gub-ment chee. I got nuthin!

Well, except that I get all the stuff that everyone in this county gets by default. You know, the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System, the Internet, the Department of Defense, NOAA weather radio. A Coast Guard that calls me on channel 16 if my boat sinks(not that I'm on the ocean a lot but you get the point). Airports that I can fly from - even in my own plane should I ever be well off enough to own one. You know, all that liberal statist mooching "infrastructure" stuff - that we need.

And yea, part of this includes not letting my neighbors starve to death, just because they made foolish choices in life. And no, they are hardly getting "rich" off welfare or social security or medicare or medicaid. No one is.

Jane Doe 1
Jane Doe 1 11/27/12 - 03:10 pm
Angela, The Bush Tax cuts

Angela,

The Bush Tax cuts were NEVER EVER EVER meant to be permanent. It's beyond time to let them expire.

Here's a good exercise, one that actually changed the minds of lot of friends of mine:

Jane Doe 1
Jane Doe 1 11/27/12 - 03:14 pm
Rich people don't spend the

Rich people don't spend the extra money they get from tax cuts. Poor people do.

After THREE tax cuts to the rich, Bush had the WORST job creation record of ANY modern full-term president. Read the Wall Street Journal:

"Taxing a rich person 20% of his income means that he will have 20% less capital to expand his company and create jobs"

Baloney. The US has had over 10 years of tax breaks for the rich base on that principle, and none of those people getting the breaks passed on their good fortune by hiring people and expanding their business. Instead they used the money to speculate, to push around toxic assets and to move capital, jobs and services offshore, until the entire financial system almost collapsed and the other 99% of us had to bail their sorry behinds with our tax dollars.

If the rich REALLY "created wealth" then they would offer to make any tax-breaks contingent on hiring and expansion--don't often hear them doing that, do you?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 03:16 pm
I've seen plenty of people

I've seen plenty of people who were successful without the help of people who didn't pay taxes.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 03:19 pm
"If you believe cutting taxes

"If you believe cutting taxes raises government revenue or creates jobs, I challenge you find one year in our tax history, going all the way back to at least the 1920's, where the government cut taxes and then the next year took in more money than the previous year or where the rate of employment or rate of change of employment between the years was favorable."

Easy!