GOP must be more inclusive

Americans are thought to be leaning right of center politically speaking, yet Republicans have failed to garner more than 50 percent of the national vote. Are there too many hard-headed single-issue voters – many of whom did not even cast their vote because Republican candidates did not suit their particular priority?

History and logic tell us that to win Congress and the presidency, we have to accept a wider range of attitudes than the strictest rules of conservatism. Many social and religious issues have little to do with job creation and restoring the economy. With the media’s help, too much campaign time was spent on these issues to divert from economic failures of the past three years.

Many right-leaning voters want to establish another party closer to their philosophy to escape the image of “Republicans for the rich.” In a multiparty parliamentary system, the strongest party may never get more than 40 percent of the vote, and have to have a coalition partner to form a government – meaning more compromise.

The Republican Party will have to be more inclusive to Hispanics and others through education – showing that a reasonable capitalist system will lead them to more prosperity and not a socialist dictatorship.

S.G. von Schweinitz

Appling

Young Fred
Young Fred 11/23/12 - 03:26 am
Clarion call ... but ...

I agree with Schweinitz's assesment, for the most part. Any reasonable person would agree that through “education” we can change the minds of those that may not truly know the actual ideology of our party. “Reach out” and educate.

Sounds great, but that's a clarion call. Unfortunately the true ideology of the Conservative party will not be put out for reasonable people to consider, because the education system and popular media will not allow that to happen.

Observe the many posters on this site and others throughout the “blogospher (sp)”, and various news sites, etc.

How do you reason with such a mindset? You can't!

Public Education and media has created a perception, and in turn made it the new reality. Reasonable people can argue until they're blue in the face about realities, falsities and perception versus reality but it matters none in the end. This is a generational problem that will take a generational solution.

Watch and see the responses to this post. There will be those who insist that we need totalitarian government because the alternative would be some kind of Christian caliphate.

Or there will be those who insist conservatives hate minority/women/poor/children etc. and they will actually do it with a “straight face” insisting they are correct in their opinion.

There will be those who insist we need a government that tramples individual rights in order to “protect” us from the evil rich capitalist. And people will swallow it whole because they've been conditioned to believe that capitalist are the evil in the world, instead of being educated to realize the TRUE evil in the world is totalitarian governments.

But hey, this transformation into a society that has completely given up it's FREE rights will take decades. We've nothing to worry about. Just our grandchildren.

allhans
allhans 11/23/12 - 03:46 am
I agree YF... As someone

I agree YF...

As someone said, You can't out- liberal a liberal, (nor can you out-lie them).

As time passes it will work itself out. As the economy tanks, it will hit them where it hurts - In their pocketbooks.
Sadly, the day of reckoning is coming,

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/23/12 - 06:59 am
The problem is liberals do

The problem is liberals do not want to know the truth, they just want their messiah Obama to be right, even when he is wrong. They would throw this country down a trash chute before they would admit how wrong they are and I think the reason they hate freedom so much is they are scared of it. Cowardness is a common liberals trait, they fear being responsible for their own life and feel they need the govt and conservatives to do and pay for everything for them. The author makes a valid point but I really hope we can find a way without them. Liberals do not deserve the great things the USA has to offer, I wish they all would move to Palestine and be with the people they really support.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/23/12 - 07:20 am
S.G. von Schweinitz (Love that name)

Yep, the economic power of capitalism to uplift everyone should be emphasized. That's the key and, if you look carefully, something you can see even Obama contemplating now and then. Succintly, the Republican Party should become the Libertarian Party in its platform.

Capitalism is the winning system that has made American the greatest nation the world has ever, yada, yada and can still work miracles with its built-in competition.

Independent
Independent 11/23/12 - 07:45 am
More than education

I used to vote Republican every four years.....even for George W! The message of the Republican Party was repulsive and ignorant this past presidential election. Its allegiance to extremists and "urban terrorists" forced me to vote "against" Romney and Ryan. Thank you Mr. Schweinitz for your education offer, but that is not the solution for this political party to get my vote....at this time.

myfather15
myfather15 11/23/12 - 07:59 am
I agree allhans, you can't

I agree allhans, you can't out liberal a liberal, unless you are willing to lie and distort reality as much as they do. Are we suppose to collapse our morals to win an election? This is why I do NOT believe during these times, we shall win big again. I personally believe things will only get worse and our Savior is the only thing going to save us.

Take for example; The liberals are always saying the right hates minorities because they want to cut government assistance or entitlement. The left uses this as a race or ethnic issue, and claims the right wants to suppress minorities by cutting the entitlement programs. Lets take a look at this.

Numbers wise, there are more white people receiving federal assistance from the government than any race. Yet, percentage wise, a greater percentage of minorities are receiving some sort of government assistance. So, how can this be a race or ethnicity issue? Because they spin it however they want to make it fit their agenda. Have you ever heard the saying "Stats don't lie but liars use stats."?

Thats because you can take any stat and find a way to twist it to fit your agenda. Have you ever noticed how many TV news stations claim to be Georgia's #1 news station? I've wondered before how they can make this claim. It's actually pretty simple, they just twist the stats or use certain stats, THEY choose to use. One station my claim to be #1 because they did a survey and found they are #1 between ages 18-31, therefore they claim to be #1. But their overall viewers might be far less than another station.

Same thing for this argument. Although more white people are on government assistance than any other race, if you talk about cutting the assistance, all of a sudden it becomes a race issue. Then you're branded racist and bigot and you don't care about helpless poor people. Although the truth is we care VERY much about those people. By the numbers, I'm one of them. My household with a family of 4, is below the national poverty line. The only problem is, I'm doing just fine because I work pretty hard and watch my spending. We want others to do the same thing, work hard and if you seriously need help, it's available. But we don't want is handouts to people who are undeserving and lazy. Working the streets for 16 years now, I run into these people all the time. Drug addicts and alcoholics that are on government assistance.

I arrested a man and woman for domestic violence and while doing the investigation I found BOTH were on disabilty and possessed government issued phones which has 300 minutes each on them. Yet, I also found a case of beer in the fridge, a quarter bag of marijuana in a drawer in the living room, three bottles of alcoholic beverages including tequila, whiskey and vodka. If you can afford your alcohol and drugs, then you DO NOT deserve or need federal assistance. After arresting the guy, during the booking process, one of the questions you ask is his place of employment. He answered he was on disability but does handy work on the side. I guess he was too drunk to lie about it, even saying to me "If you need your house painted or minor repairs, I will cut you a break." So, this guy works under the table, but receives assistance from you and I.

This isn't the exception, it's quite normal and I could give numerous examples of my own personal experiences but I will stop there. The bottom line is, conservatives have true compassion in wanting people to get to work and make a decent living. We realize people need help sometimes and love giving them that help when needed. But we don't want people becoming addicted to government assistance and REMAINING addicts. We want them to WORK their way out of their situation.

This is the difference in the left and right. The left wants socialism/communism where the government is responsible for ensuring everyones success. We want that on the backs of the individual. The problem is people are becoming addicts and it's getting worse. I don't see it changing, just getting worse and worse. When people are USE to getting STUFF for free from the government, then you tell them you want to CUT the free stuff, they will revolt, if not physically, with their vote. Check out whats going on in Greece, this is all about Greece cutting the entitlements. Those people are so addicted to entitlements, they are revolting worse than a drug addict being refused their drugs. They are in withdrawals and our country will continue this direction, watch and see. Our only saving will come from our Savior. He will know EXACTLY who has manipulated the system, cheating and lying to get assistance and for the politicians, who lied to further their agenda. They WILL pay for it, severely.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/23/12 - 08:12 am
If we dropped platform items

Would it still be the GOP or the New Less moral GOP?

From a sarcastic viewpoint, let us look at a one possibility:

Abortion
A liberal agenda idea mainly practiced 17x more likely by Liberals. Drop it as a item in positive way, and start pushing morals. State it should not be the Governments position to fund the elimination of any soul or person that represents a potential citizen. State the Government should not be in the position of funding a racist practice that was started to eliminate vast numbers minorities and continues to do so nationwide. Then quit funding it and let those that want one fund it themselves.

Results - It becomes a non-agenda item.
Immediate small increase in GOP voters.
Future GOP major increases in 18 years.
Small immediate decease in liberals now, and between 9 Million
and 11 Million fewer Liberal voters in 18 years.

myfather15
myfather15 11/23/12 - 08:22 am
The left wants to tax those

The left wants to tax those evil rich guys far more and make them pay "Their fair share". But to whom are they going to pay this to? The federal government, whose spending has grown completely out of control and is basically criminal, with some of the special deals politicians get for family members and friends.

All our government representatives are basically addicts, but instead of being addicted to drugs, they are addicted to other peoples money and want more of it to continue their ridiculous spending spree.

Let's make a comparison, the "Rich people" being so evil in the lefts eyes, are like a drug dealer on the streets. So, we law enforcement do a search warrant on the drug dealers house and discover a large amount of drugs, so we seize the drugs. But instead of placing the drugs into evidence and securing them, we just take the drugs and give them to the addict. Blindly hoping they will do the right thing with them, after they've proven they are addicts and will abuse the drugs. So, we've taken the drugs from those evil dealers who don't deserve to profit from their activities and thats good. But we've given them to an addict to abuse them. Thats what we are doing now. We are taking from the rich but giving it to a group of people that have proven they can't be trusted with other peoples money. Does that make any sense at all??

Living below the poverty line, I have no problem with someone saying the "Rich" need to pay more. After all, it won't effect me at all. But is the only time to stand against something is when it effects you personally?? I also realize the uber rich CAN afford to pay more, certainly that is VERY true. But again, who are they paying more to? It's like Robin Hood with a terrible twist. They are robbing the evil rich but instead of giving to the poor like Robin Hood did, they give it to the King and his minions, who are rich themselves, to wastefully spend it. Man, that doesn't sound quite reasonable.

justthefacts
20249
justthefacts 11/23/12 - 08:50 am
Emotion vs Logic

Like buying decision, voting has become a battle of logic vs emotion. Emotion will always win.

Techfan
Techfan 11/23/12 - 09:15 am
As evidenced by the right

As evidenced by the right wing posts above, the right wing has shown they live in a bubble, far distanced from reality. Couple that with their desire to force the religious beliefs of extremist evangelicals on the rest of nation, a tax policy that favors the top few percent, and never ending war (or at least spending for never ending war), and you have a pretty good idea why they lost, and will continue to lose as demographics continue to go against them.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/12 - 09:20 am
Hmmmm..a tax system where

Hmmmm..a tax system where EVERYONE pays taxes somehow only favors the top few percent? Really, techfan? Wanting people to have to pay for their own contraception, and not forcing Catholics to provide it against their will is the RIGHT forcing their religious beliefs on someone? Your logic is foundering.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/23/12 - 09:28 am
Question

What would the liberals want us to do
join them and sing kum ba yah?

justthefacts
20249
justthefacts 11/23/12 - 09:29 am
Demographics

Yes, the demographics are a daunting issue. The country's future is in big trouble.

David Parker
David Parker 11/23/12 - 09:34 am
Ya think?

"All Republicans aren't racist, but most all racists are Republicans"

That is the perception of most Dems and Libs. GOP better adopt the platform and Gary Johnson for their next run. It would do wonders for their image at this point.

note: You can replace the word "racist" and replace with any of the following: homophobe, war-monger, crony-capitalist, or religious zealot.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/23/12 - 09:45 am
"! The message of the

"The message of the Republican Party was repulsive and ignorant this past presidential election. Its allegiance to extremists and "urban terrorists" forced me to vote "against" Romney and Ryan"

I'd like to know who are these "extremists and urban terrorists" Independent is talking about? And forced to vote.....I thought we all still had free will to choose........

justthefacts
20249
justthefacts 11/23/12 - 09:43 am
Independent's post

"! The message of the Republican Party was repulsive and ignorant this past presidential election. Its allegiance to extremists and "urban terrorists" forced me to vote "against" Romney and Ryan" I, too, would like to know what he is talking about. I suppose "Independent" has a job. All I ever heard Romney talk about was his desire to create jobs. Is that repugnent? I guess to some. Granted, the lamestram media did it's very best and successfully so to frame Romney as the devil. Guess "Independent" bought it.

Jane18
Jane18 11/23/12 - 09:50 am
I Am "An" Inclusive...........................

You are on a roll there myfather15, and I could not agree more, and with you also alhans. Techfan the only people in "bubbles" are the ones who continue to "blow" nonsense. I do not know an "extreme" evangelical, unless we are talking about that group from Westboro Church in Kansas. I, nor anyone I know, want to force our religious beliefs on anyone, that would be like trying to "make" someone love you. It cannot be done! The best thing I can tell you, and others like you, go on and continue thinking and doing as you wish. At this point, even though I love and care for my brothers and sisters(that's you and others) on this earth, I cannot sit still and let you or anyone call us names, and put us down at every opportunity... Ain't gonna happen Techfan! By the way, if you or anyone else think that we go along with the nuts in Kansas, then you might be as nutty as them..............

Pal
Pal 11/23/12 - 10:31 am
@ Independent

Independent wrote, "The message of the Republican Party was repulsive and ignorant this past presidential election. Its allegiance to extremists and 'urban terrorists' forced me to vote 'against' Romney and Ryan."

Please explain what parts of the Rep. platform you found "repulsive and ignorant." Also, who are the extremists and urban terrorists the Rep. party supports? I'm not being argumentative or sarcastic. I and others would really like to know.

I have an Asian friend who voted for Obama in 2008 although she didn't in 2012. She received extraordinarily deceptive emails, tweets, etc. from the Obama campaign and its surrogates, messages that accused the GOP of racism and extreme positions that Romney/Ryan did not hold. She showed me some of them: "Ryan believes in the basic Constitution of the KKK"; "Romney has sworn before Congress he'll take away a woman's right to birth control..." These are just a couple of the (paraphrased) howlers that she showed me in August or September. She said other members of her family had received same.

She and I had a good laugh and figured no one would believe such claptrap; both sides have their crazies, and perhaps these messages were the offspring of the Left's unhinged. Still, Obama won, and your post makes me wonder what YOU received.

Again, I am asking sincere questions. I am not trying to argue or to insult you. I am curious. Please respond. Thank you in advance!

(Techfan, Retired Army, EEL, HWIII, and other GOP-haters: Please don't respond to the questions in this post. Frankly, I don't trust your opinions. Your dislike of conservatives and conservatism is intense, you've made that crystal clear, and you absolutely cannot be unbiased. Independent writes as if he/she heard from both sides and calmly made a decision, rather than follow a knee-jerk reaction. I want to hear only from him/her. I know this is an unusual request, but I hope you'll respect my wishes. Thank you.)

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 11/23/12 - 09:53 am
In the past election that

In the past election that would have been Romney/Ryan, Rush, Rove, Graham, Beck, Bohner, and the entire tea party

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 11/23/12 - 10:05 am
Forest for Trees

I thought conservatism was a way of thinking, as in, "Don't throw out the old until you've thought things through". But now, it seems to mean "Why should we think when we can just do what we were TOLD to do by our Betters". Pandering to ignorant sheeple will win you some votes, but not enough in a world that relies more and more on thinking.
Until the GOP stops embracing Ignorance and using The Big, Quick Lie as it's main campaigning tactic, it's lost a lot of voters who, set upon by the avaricious globalized economy, have now been forced to have to think a lot more for a living (if not the White Collar Welfare Cadillac voters at SRS, though).
The GOP's problem is it can't be viable when a 'conservative' voter in Ohio isn't the same as a 'conservative' snake-handler fundie, er..., voter in Tennessee. The Dems Big Tent has no inherent tidal force ripping apart the party, and tolerance is a big part of that.
The GOP died when Buckley died, as an icon, and the white-trash opportunists like Gingrich and Rove took over.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/23/12 - 10:29 am
Yeah,

I believe I'm going to change my ways and vote for heroes like: jesse jackson jr., charlie rangel, rod blagojevich, adam clayton powell, jesse's wife and father, ray nagen, bill ayers, the former democratic mayor of Detroit ( now in Prison), the democratic woman in Ill. who milked the small town for $58,000,000, the black leadership in Atlanta milking Hartsfield Int'l airport, the city of New Orleans who sends their citizens out to continually suck the gubmint money (mine and yours) from Katrina, as the north will surely do with Sandy years down the road. It's hard to reach for middle ground when your the only one reaching.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 11/23/12 - 10:31 am
Don't play the liberals game !

Liberals win by a "divide and conquer" strategy. First, they divide every minority into groups such as blacks, latino, rich, poor, gay, straight, women, men and then pit one group against the other. They were successful in pitting these minorities against the " wealthy" whites. The wealthy white people were the enemy and these minorities hired the democrats to defeat the enemy..ie Romney and company. This strategy is fairly new in America as it has only been around for about 75 years. The democrats have perfected it and will continue to use it to keep them in the majority for decades to come, however this divide and conquer strategy is the opposite of what America stands for. Conservatives have the task of convincing all of these minority groups that they are "all americans" and are only promised " equal opportunity" not "equal outcome" and this is a big, big job. I believe this truth represent the majority of americans but I could be wrong.

jbartley
jbartley 11/23/12 - 10:45 am
Change is healthy

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/23/12 - 10:58 am
I beg to differ with you Mr.

I beg to differ with you Mr. Bartley. I'm neither old nor a hater but most of my world views come down on the side of the Republican party. When you paint all with such a broad brush you make your comment seem foolish.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/12 - 10:55 am
"I agree with you the

"I agree with you the Republican party has become a party of haters and old small minded people!"

Is there any chance you could back that up with any evidence.....or perhaps any way that your view of the Republican party can't just as easily describe the Democrat party?

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/23/12 - 11:09 am
Romney wanted to create jobs

Romney wanted to create jobs and put people to work. Work is a dirty four letter word to the hard core base of the Democrat party.

If the Republican party stopped with all of the religious stuff (and I think they should);

If the Republican party embraced gay marriage (I ain't crazy about it but I think the courts will eventually find that it is constitutional);

If the Republican party gave up on banning abortion (and I think they should);

And if the Republican party still said they want people to all WORK and everybody pay SOME TAXES and they wanted to reduce government spending...........they would still lose the election because all of that other stuff is a smokescreen for the freeloaders.

But it doesn't matter. If we have reached the point where a coalition of mainly single issue voters will come together and consciously vote to spend this country into bankruptcy then there is no hope of maintaining the financial stability that we have had in the past. There is a very good chance that, because of this election, we will see the day when all of those other issues seem trivial. Yes, things may get THAT bad.

They won the election because Republicans made issues of things totally unrelated to the financial survival of this country. And they chose to ignore the financial survival of this country based on rhetoric over issues that they have pretty much already won, or are winning, in courtrooms all over the country. It's sad what is going to happen to us economially over unrelated issues that have already been decided in the courts and that were never in any danger from the ultra right wing of the Republican party. We KNOW where our extremists are......do you?

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/23/12 - 11:17 am
Young Fred11/23/12 - 02:26 am

Young Fred writes: "There are actually, no really, there are people who believe that conservatives hate all minorities, and wish to outlaw contraception. There are people who believe conservatives care nothing for the poor, and are okay with poor people starving to death, children without meals, and women dying in the streets."

Nice try Fred, but no cigar. Let me first state that this Liberal does not believe the vast majority of Conservatives are in any way of the description you throw out. However, it is obvious that Conservatives are in a minority and even they know it, else why would they make an unholy alliance with a significant portion of voters who do think like that?

When the Conservative movement can rid themselves of the fringe social warriors,(See Chronicle Editorial Staff) then and only then, can there be room for compromise.

For the religious zealots who haunt and destroy the best parts Republican/Conservative movement, just how much cash did Jesus say was needed for Pearly Gates admission?

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/23/12 - 11:15 am
allhans11/23/12 - 02:46 am

allhans writes: "Sadly, the day of reckoning is coming,"

Naw, that day already arrived on November the 6th and I reckon the American People spoke pretty loudly on that day.

Isn't it ironic that after all the votes were finnaly tallied Romney looks to be a 47%er?

Do you think that maybe God does have a great sense of humor after all? I do!

InChristLove