Race motivates attacks

Guest columnist Edward Maner is correct in his claim that criticisms of President Obama often are racially motivated (“Obama is an unfair victim of hatred,” Oct. 14).

This is particularly true of the editorial page of The Augusta Chronicle, despite the editor’s protestations to the contrary.

By my calculation, you have published more than 650 editorials and cartoons criticizing or attacking President Obama. This does not include snipes at the president from other topics, comments by like-minded syndicated columnists or letters from readers who take their cue from you.

You have told your readers directly, or by innuendo and insinuation, that the president is a narcissist, an ignoramus, a bully, a liar, a hypocrite, a racist, an elitist, a Nazi sympathizer, a conspirator, a Hitler, a hatemonger, a socialist, a non-patriot, a Muslim, a propagandist, a phony, a divider, a flip-flopper, a spendthrift, a dictator, an alien, a friend of terrorists and, of course, an abject failure.

In addition, you claimed that first lady Michelle Obama’s attempt to control the products in school vending machines “puts us well on the way to creating a police state.”

At the core of your world view is the belief that black people have a proper place in this society and any African-American in a position of authority is out of his or her proper place.

President Obama, as head of the free world, is so out of place it is unimaginable.

Leslie J. Pollard Sr., Ph.D.

Augusta

Nbabe
Nbabe 11/22/12 - 10:03 pm
Humble Angela

It is apparent that you are either blind, in denial, or ignorant [you can choose one of those] to the mere facts of bigotry towards the President. The Republican Party and many white Americans [not all] in this country have done this and/or is still doing this. And I bet you believe that the "birther movement" and calling the President "Muslim" in which he isn't, isn't also a form of prejudice. To you these things may not seem as an insult but to our minorities, it is. To you the country is moving away from racism, but in fact, we aren't. To you it's not such a big deal because you are not a minority by color but only by gender. Now you tell me when have President Bush been disrespected as such? Wake up!!!!!

(Note: When I use the term "ignorant" I'm not speaking upon your intelligence but upon your lack of belief in what the President is having to endure)

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/12 - 05:19 am
No. it its you that is being

No. it its you that is being blind. Both you and your uncle make the assumption that since there are racists in the world, that ALL criticisms of Obama are based on that racism. You ignore any and all legitimate reasons people give, and claim it is just racism. I pitty you and your uncle. It must be awful to always be the hapless victim.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/12 - 06:09 am
So demanding that the

So demanding that the President show his birth certificate is no racist? Was it racist when I had to show mine for my job? If not....how is this different?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/12 - 06:14 am
"Now you tell me when have

"Now you tell me when have President Bush been disrespected as such? Wake up!!!!!"

Yeah...Bush didn't have any disrespect to endure.

Now, can you name the person who called Obama a tar baby, or was it like so many liberal accusations and just made up to make the argument seem stronger?

JggrNAUT
JggrNAUT 11/23/12 - 07:07 am
Humble Angela

I think you're missing the focus of what I tried to say:

2. For most, perception is reality. If you 'feel' I'm an Obama worshiper you're entitled to your opinion. If I feel that the labeling and name calling are racist I'm entitled to my opinion as well. If either side, Democrat or Republican,took the time to be respectful in laying out their position the opportunity for compromise and solutions can occur, which is what this country needs for success.

3. Read an ENTIRE comment before attacking, like the last three paragraphs written.

4. As far as the "race card" goes, I can't stand it. ANYONE who positions themselves politically should be able to stand on the merits of their position. If that person is a minority, that person should understand that attacks will come, racial or otherwise. If that position merits the approval of the voting public, that is all that matters... So if you feel that logic being used (liberal) is convoluted, wouldn't your dutiful position then be to use a clearer logical appeal instead of an emotional one?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/12 - 08:11 am
"1. I'm not an Obama

"1. I'm not an Obama worshiper, I stated the name calling and rhetoric associated with comments not addressing the issue leads to the impression of racism."

The problem is, there is no logical lead here. It simply assumes that if you don't like Obama, you MUST be racist. THAT is the focus that I was making, that apparently you missed as well...Let's circle around and see if we can see each other's point. :-)

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/12 - 08:18 am
What is emotional and not

What is emotional and not logical about pointing out very specific things about Obama's policies that we disagree with? The emotion comes when you are called racist for pointing them out.

MrsSally
MrsSally 11/23/12 - 01:51 pm
Since my time on earth

My husband and I have always been raised republican. My great grandfather has owned slaves as well my husbands family. However, neither my husband nor I are racist. I do believe that the POTUS is being ridiculed for the color of his skin. I've been watching the comments that everyone has written in. Even the one from Ms. Pollard. I wasn't a Obama supporter at first but the Racism that I have witnesses from the GOP and some of my friends, I've been turned off by this and I'm as lily white as you can get. I do disagree with Angela and honey you may not be as old as I am and from the looks of your picture, I may be old enough to be your grandmother or perhaps even your mom. My parents always taught us to love everyone despite my grandfather's legacy. Growing up I've witnessed what blacks had to go through and i pour my heart out them. I hope God will open your eyes to see these things from these peoples point of view. The POTUS is experiencing racism but not to the degree in what I've taught through the history books. Just do a little more research my dear and you'll see how these things are perceived to be racist. We as whites will never understand the mindset of non-whites but we can listen to what they have to say then you'll be able to say that we now see how they see it as racism. I use to be just like you but my dear husband allowed me see it differently.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/12 - 02:08 pm
I hope God will put open your

I hope God will put open your eyes to the ugliness that is happening to you and I....being accused of being racist because others are racist. It's no different than calling a black man a thief because you saw some other black people that were thieves.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/12 - 02:11 pm
I'm quite sure he is

I'm quite sure he is experiencing racism...that's not the point. When I say it bothers me that he lied about his role in the murders in Libya....I'm a racist..... When I say I don't like the way he has increased the debt, even though he said he would lower it....I'm a racist. It's THAT logic that is so infuriating.

MrsSally
MrsSally 11/23/12 - 03:24 pm
My sweet Angela

All of these people aren't accusing all white people as racist. They're just speaking on what some of the things that some people of our color is doing. You seem to be hostile or disturbed about something. I use to think like you and I use to be you but like I said before, my husband who is also white had to open my eyes to a different view point. Just as you just said, "When I say it bothers me that he lied about his role in the murders in Libya....I'm a racist..... When I say I don't like the way he has increased the debt, even though he said he would lower it....I'm a racist." You're doing the exact same thing that you're saying that these people are doing whenever they're expressing what they perceive to be racist. Obama increased the debt, yes, but he did not increase it as much as the other POTUS have done in the past and trust me I've been around since the 1940s with having hired help. GOP has blocked the POTUS policies to prevent him from getting re-elected. My eyes have been opened and one day America will come around.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/12 - 03:29 pm
I'm talking about the LTE....

I'm talking about the LTE.... The inference is that all of the criticism that Obama gets is because of racism.

Hostil....you bet...I have personally been accused of racism for nothing more than crticising policies.

When someone tells you "you are being racist", and you explain that you just disagree with the policies, and they still insist you are racist, it has nothing to do with their perception. How am I doing the same thing they are doing. They call me a racist....I don't infer it from what they say....they actually say it. HUGE difference. The writer of this letter is ASSUMING people are racist, with no evidence.

You point out several times that you and your husband are white....that makes no difference. I'm not sure why you think it matters in this discussion. Racism is racism....regardless of the racists race. (say that 10 times real fast.)

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/12 - 03:31 pm
This is a quote from the LTE.

This is a quote from the LTE. "Your treatment of this president is not politics, but bigotry and obsession masquerading as political opinion." There is not one thing in the letter to back up that accusation......therefore those who disagree with his policies are being called bigots. This is unacceptable behavior.

MrsSally
MrsSally 11/23/12 - 05:54 pm
Honey I know what it's like

Honey I know what it's like to be called racist because I had hired help to raise my babies and I was always labeled as racist. I have mammy cookie jars in my home and I'm called a racist. You're calling these people racists for very same reasons why you believe that these same people are calling you a racist. I expressed that I'm white in the discussion to ensure of my views from a white american stand point on the subject. Dear God help you and hopefully no one else will be subdued into your discussions because you are clearly missing the point of the article and the author clearly did not label everyone a racist. Have a good night. My discussion with you is hereby terminated so no more feedback from you will be necessary.

Gage Creed
19436
Gage Creed 11/23/12 - 06:27 pm
Methinks I smell a

Methinks I smell a troll.........

Nbabe
Nbabe 11/23/12 - 06:53 pm
Gage and Humble Angela

Hey Gage Creed, Methinks its you. lol. Humble Angela, I can understand why you feel the way you do now. Thank you for enlightening me. You have been racially and politically profiled because of your beliefs. I know what that's like. I get a lot of it because I'm a Catholic and Republican who voted Democrat. I've been told that I wasn't a real Catholic. A lot of people have voted for each candidate because of the color of his skin rather than listening to each of the candidates political views. I voted for the best candidate that will benefit me best. I admit, I voted for Bush twice. lol. I think this is in partly the reason why we both feel as passionate as the way we both do. Don't let these message boards get to you. :o)

Gage Creed
19436
Gage Creed 11/23/12 - 07:25 pm
Nbabe…. I would have to get a

Nbabe…. I would have to get a promotion to be a troll! 
I do however agree with Angela that with all of the emotion attached to this election, if you have a direct criticism of President Obama, that criticism is often dismissed as racism. You stated that you voted for the candidate that would best benefit you, that is a common response and is fully understandable.
I also submit that sometimes we should select the candidate that does not provide the immediate gratification we desire, but will provide security and growth for the future. The best candidate should be selected without regard of skin color, Creed, religion, etc.

Gage Creed
19436
Gage Creed 11/23/12 - 07:30 pm
Interesting....I type a

Interesting....I type a smiley face and it posts a square... I guess I'm not the HTML phenomenon I thought I was! (sarcasm)

Nbabe
Nbabe 11/23/12 - 07:42 pm
Gage Creed

I agree with you. When I was saying "benefit me best" I was thinking long term. I think people and the politicians have gotten away from "real politics" and are voting for the wrong reasons (high income, creed, religion, skin color, sexual orientation, political affiliation). American Politics is like a sport. Everyone picks their team and stands by them faithfully. Sounds like football doesn't it. lol. I also think that American's are getting a lot of things wrong. We need to start helping each other rather than bashing each other. There are people in other countries who would kill or die to have the freedoms that we have. I think that we're starting to take our liberties for granted. By the way, I love your square. lol

Gage Creed
19436
Gage Creed 11/23/12 - 08:28 pm
Nbabe "There are people in

Nbabe

"There are people in other countries who would kill or die to have the freedoms that we have. I think that we're starting to take our liberties for granted." I believe your statement is 100% correct.

No matter the shortcomings of our system.... we do live in the greatest country on earth, warts and all!

Bruno
Bruno 11/26/12 - 03:41 pm
So it appears that those that

So it appears that those who sling the charge of racism are just as ignorant and bigoted as actual racists. They apparently see any negative criticism of Obama as racially motivated because they can't see past their own bigotry and see it for anything else. When all you have is a hammer, all you see are nails.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.