Race motivates attacks

Guest columnist Edward Maner is correct in his claim that criticisms of President Obama often are racially motivated (“Obama is an unfair victim of hatred,” Oct. 14).

This is particularly true of the editorial page of The Augusta Chronicle, despite the editor’s protestations to the contrary.

By my calculation, you have published more than 650 editorials and cartoons criticizing or attacking President Obama. This does not include snipes at the president from other topics, comments by like-minded syndicated columnists or letters from readers who take their cue from you.

You have told your readers directly, or by innuendo and insinuation, that the president is a narcissist, an ignoramus, a bully, a liar, a hypocrite, a racist, an elitist, a Nazi sympathizer, a conspirator, a Hitler, a hatemonger, a socialist, a non-patriot, a Muslim, a propagandist, a phony, a divider, a flip-flopper, a spendthrift, a dictator, an alien, a friend of terrorists and, of course, an abject failure.

In addition, you claimed that first lady Michelle Obama’s attempt to control the products in school vending machines “puts us well on the way to creating a police state.”

At the core of your world view is the belief that black people have a proper place in this society and any African-American in a position of authority is out of his or her proper place.

President Obama, as head of the free world, is so out of place it is unimaginable.

Your treatment of this president is not politics, but bigotry and obsession masquerading as political opinion.

Leslie J. Pollard Sr., Ph.D.

Augusta

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/20/12 - 07:42 pm
harley

Your questions will no longer be valid in 2014.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 07:51 pm
Harley

If possible, refrain from interjecting ill illegal immigrants into the picture. Send Mexico the bill for them. After all, they are getting the benefits of income sent back.

harley_52
harley_52 11/20/12 - 07:52 pm
You're Right....

CG. So long as we're all willing to admit that Obamacare is the sole source of both the "right" and the responsibility. And then we can discuss exactly what is the morality of taking someone's property against their will and giving it to another who has no moral "right" to that stolen property.

harley_52
harley_52 11/20/12 - 07:55 pm
KSL...

That's part of the point I'd hope to make. It's why I asked "which people.?"

If you believe you have a moral responsibility to pay for the health care of people who can't afford it, does that moral responsibility have boundaries? If so, what are they?

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/20/12 - 08:00 pm
You know some retired

You know some retired military folks are progressive because they are use to takin' orders and being taken care of. Remember they couldn't cut it in the real world so they joined the military and they are use to (not having an original thought) taking orders and being taken care of. About as logical as some arguments I've read today. Not being personally critical or anything. Hee,hee,hee.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 11/20/12 - 08:07 pm
Burninator

Why do you think America is on the cutting edge of almost all Technological advances. The rest of the world come here for the most advanced healthcare,pharmaceuticals and surgical procedure. Look at all tech industries from computers science to aeronautics, space travel etc. Look at our defense technology. The rest of the world looks to us for innovation in all of these areas. If you only had one provider in any of these industries it would stagnate just as the post office has and that hurts everyone. Just wait and watch what Obamacare does after it becomes single payer system. Not only will care be rationed but the cost will rise dramatically. We will have killed the best healthcare system in the world thanks to those who wanted the federal government to take over and provide 'Free" healthcare. You will have to live ( or die) with it. Those who can afford to go "elsewhere" will leave the country to get state of the art care will and the rest will be trapped in Obamacare.

Lorraine
Lorraine 11/20/12 - 09:37 pm
Support for Dr. Pollard's Opinions

The truth is a hard pill to swallow for those who are unwilling to face their own demons. Thanks Dr. Pollard for your unbiased opinions which were all on point.

fedex227
fedex227 11/20/12 - 10:02 pm
Sorry to join so late ...

Getting back to the LTE. What was amazing was that without knowing the sex, race, or educational background of the author, this letter was met with comments such as ...

To people like Pollard, the president is nothing more than a black man.

Ms. Pollard is obviously a person of color.

If possible, refrain from interjecting illegal immigrants into the picture. Send Mexico the bill for them.

What it's like to always have a chip on your shoulder and feel mistreated - can't imagine what else we "whites" can do to prove we don't care about your color.

His Slave Roots, "that were suddenly", found during his run up to re-election were on his White side.

Now a black (OK 1/2 black) person has been elected as President of the United States of America.

Dr. Pollard still believes the country is somehow holding him/her back because of their skin color.

What's that rule about the black gene being dominate (sic) ??

Leslie Pollard, Edward Maner, and all 'the' others that think as the racist they are, will always blame Caucasians for what they see as fairness.

You can't get genetically recessive to blacks, whose genes are dominate, white people are a variant - mutated from the great African Negroids.

I wonder what mail order diploma mill "doctor" Pollard received his PhD from.

Sometimes I just hate living in the south.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 10:03 pm
You have been harmed how

You have been harmed how long?

myfather15
myfather15 11/20/12 - 10:09 pm
Fuhrer anyone??

As I read this, I must point out again that I see many conservative American's voicing their displeasure with this letter author's opinion. What I haven't seen is them asking for this letter to be taken out or not published in the AC. I haven't witnessed a single person asking for his opinion to be banned from public forum.

Yet, I've only read the first page and I already see one liberal poster saying conservative opinion articles "Need to go".

willie7 writes: "Thanks Dr. Pollard for your letter. Just what the doctor ordered.The crap the editors at the Chronicle write, needs to go."

Again, may I point out the first things Hitler and Mousilini took over was the print press because they didn't want anything printed against their regime. They then went on to take over the picture entertainment business and would only allow movies that fit their agenda. To sum it up; They took away any possibility of anyone voicing an opinion which wasn't positive towards their philosophy. It appears to me some liberals would LOVE to do the same thing to the conservative voices.

Also, remember this; In the late 70's when an FBI agent inflitrated the Weather Underground (Extreme left organization with William Ayers as their leader) he recorded them saying that under their plan, people would have to conform to their beliefs or be eliminated. They even went on to estimate that 25 million Americans would probably have to be "Done away with". The FBI agent asked them what they meant and they specifically said they would have to be killed. Man, does that sound similar to something like maybe..............a holocaust?

Now, I realize many leftists on this website aren't that radical, but don't think there aren't thousands or hundreds of thousands out there who are. Yes, I do believe in my heart they will do anything to have their way in this Country, even if it meant killing people with conservative traditional values like myself. That's not my words, ITS THEIRS.

For those of you who haven't studied Hitler, Mousilini and the holocaust, please do some serious reading about it. It didn't happen over night, it happened over many years. All these claims of the right being "Old white men, full of racism and hatred" is far more dangerous than you might think. Hitler and his minions used such rhetoric for years to turn the people against the Jews. They called them evil, haters, oppressive, and blamed them for all the greed in the world.

Sound familiar? We the evil right wingers that only stand for the rich and don't want Obama to make the rich pay their fair share. We the evil racists, sexists, homophobic bigots, ect. When they get the general population believing this garbage, they can basically do whatever they want to the right wing. Why? Because we are full of hate for everyone except our own people and who doesn't want to punish the extreme bigots that only look out for the rich.

Sorry, but it's the only reason I can see to continue this nasty bombardment of attacks from the left. There is no truth to it, so what's the point in continuing this divisive tactic? Because they have a plan and they are sticking to it. Again, it didn't happen over night in Germany, it took many years to accomplish the goal. The goal was to diminish the publics view of the Jews until they didn't care when they were being slaughtered.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 10:11 pm
Delta is still ready and

Delta is still ready and looking for customers.

Don't you just hate it when people say that! I know I do when someone says that to me! Don't think they check your political leanings, YET.

harley_52
harley_52 11/20/12 - 10:11 pm
"Sometimes I just hate living in the south."

You needn't look farther than the mirror for the solution to your discomfort.

redapples
redapples 11/20/12 - 10:24 pm
Claims of racism are the

Claims of racism are the expected response from the simple minded among us. I would expect a truly educated mind to offer more.

myfather15
myfather15 11/20/12 - 10:28 pm
@owensjef3

Do you have any ACTUAL proof the people signing the petitions to secede are doing so based upon race?? Or are we suppose to just take your OPINION as FACT.

Could it not be, these people want to secede because our federal government is completely out of control and they are spending us into destruction? This isn't partisan politics, fiscal responsibility falls on ALL parties. Our leaders are reckless and we are tired of it. That goes for both corrupt parties. But Ooooh, I must have forgot, the democrats aren't corrupt because they want to help the poor by taking from the rich. They are Robin Hood.

myfather15
myfather15 11/20/12 - 10:36 pm
@Burninator

You wrote: "Now that Americans are deciding to join the rest of the civilized world, the only options for escaping socialized healthcare are Africa, Southeast Asia, or the Middle East but wow there a lot of those ... different ... people in those places!"

Do you pay ANY attention to what is going on in the world and not just America?

You say we are joining the rest of the civilized world with socialized healthcare. I suppose you're talking about England, Greece, Spain, and many other European Countries. Have you seen recently where it has go them? They are in turmoil because they can't afford to pay all the entitlements now, but the people have gotten use to them and are rioting because the entitlements are being cut off. Those Countries are having to get bail outs from other Countries to even stay afloat. So, is that really the path you want us to go down, as we are joining those civilized societies?

fedex227
fedex227 11/20/12 - 10:47 pm
Unfortunately, this is where my country has determined ...

that I can contribute most to her security and her freedom based upon my training and skills. And I will honor that commitment I made to deter all enemies foreign and domestic, even if it means having to do it in Hooterville. As depressing as that may be.

soitgoes
soitgoes 11/20/12 - 11:06 pm
ya think??

could have stopped after reading headline.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/21/12 - 12:09 am
The key to health care is

The key to health care is "health care". People need to heed their care of health. Everyone should sign a contract to agree to healthy habits, get vaccinated, weight control. moderate consumption of alcohol, etc.
You'd be amazed how just living "healthy" would create a healthy population-we'd just have to deal with genetic variations in health. Funny the bible offers a pretty good description of a modern day longevity plan-exercise, modest consumption of alcohol, no obesity, and fasting. But also eating pomegranates, etc. and warned against eating pork at a time when trichinella was common. The no obesity and fasting is the kicker by todays measure. Long life my friends.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/21/12 - 12:10 am
The key to health care is

OOOPPSS!!!! Dang it.

rademi
rademi 11/21/12 - 01:05 am
Amazing!

I read Dr. Pollard's letter in the Chronicle and thought it would surely evoke some thought provoking and interesting commentary on the website that I could participate in. Instead I was met with page after page after page of mean spirited, obnoxious ranting, and defaming of Dr. Pollard whom it does not appear anyone really knows anything about other than some website you found.
I am truly amazed at the lack of logical thought in these comments that I can't even find a place to begin to respond; and as it is obvious that any effort to have any real thought provoking conversation would only be met with the same drivel I've read so far I will not bother.
So I will have to go elsewhere to participate in any logical discussion about President Obama whether I agree with the comments or not at least they will be rational.
So go on and leave your juvenile, ugly, and acrimonious comments, as I won't be commenting again or reading your responses. All I can say is Dr. Pollard must have really hit a nerve. Goodnight.

par 3
par 3 11/21/12 - 05:08 pm
Can't we just get along?

One way to diagnose the health of a community is to read the comments on forums like this. When it comes to race relations, the CSRA is critically ill and needs a physician. Is there a balm in CSRA - "to heal the sin-sick soul(s)?" Can we have a decent discussion about race, or any other issue, without rancor? Would we talk this way if we had to use our true identity? Let's strive to make the next generation better by our examples. Thanks.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/21/12 - 05:46 pm
rademi

Good!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/21/12 - 05:51 pm
rademi

We apparently think differently from you - thank God we haven't regressed to being in the Gaza Strip. We can have a peaceful argument.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/21/12 - 06:26 pm
Race would be much easier to

Race would be much easier to discuss if people such as the good Dr would stop accusing us of racism without providing one single shred of evidence of that racism. How do you have a rational discussion with someone who calls you a racist, even when you give very specific examples of why you disagree with the President?

Gage Creed
19462
Gage Creed 11/21/12 - 07:41 pm
WOW FEDEX with your advanced

WOW FEDEX with your 5+ decades of life experience one would think an obvious "spook" such as you would be able to pull duty in any NSA facility they choose, you know one more suited to your liking. There must be an obvious chink in the armor to get stuck here in Sweet Tea land eh?

Nbabe
Nbabe 11/22/12 - 01:18 am
Let's just call it what it is and stop lying

My uncle, Dr. Pollard, is right and for those of you who are blinded by the thought of racism being inexistence may possibly be in denial of your own transgressions. As a Conservative Republican, I have noticed that at the moment the President has taken office, members of the white race [not all] have allowed their true supremacy to arise. They have felt as though the President is an inferior to them as demonstrated within the Republican Party itself. I am heartily disgusted by some members of this nation who are believing that some how a recognizable racism has not occurred which indeed and in fact has. Since the elections of the President, I have seen more racism, political profiling, and political segregation than I've ever seen since the first day that I have followed politics. Some of the presidents policies have failed but it was mostly due to the alignment of the Republican Parties rebuttal. Let's just call it as we all truly see it, a minority in office, in particularly "black male" is out of place in this country because America has them flagged as a "black mandingo" or "sambo". It is noticeable that some whites did vote for President Obama and these same whites who did so would have been the ones to assist the underground railroad if black slavery was still an empire today. I have seen and read with my own eyes and heard with my own ears that the race card has been pulled more by the Republican Party, a group who identifies itself as a "maintain the white angry male vote" organization than I have seen any minority in the media. Obviously, hit dogs will holler and the President isn't the one who's doing the wailing. Seems to me that the Willie Lynch letter is reversing its own policies indirectly.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/22/12 - 07:27 pm
Nbabe....your uncle failed to

Nbabe....your uncle failed to point out a single example of racism. Nor did you. Accusations of racism, with no basis, are themselves racist accusations.

golf4me
golf4me 11/22/12 - 07:38 pm
Race motivates attacks

Hooray! Hooray to Dr. Pollard! That is the reason I do not buy the Augusta Chronicle...it's racist views. The paper is not a viaduct to spread the news, instead it is used to promote the agenda of Billy Morris, it's racist owner and the good old boys that would like to see every Black return to slavery.

It feels wonderful to know that the white male is becoming the minoriy. Next election Georgia will be Democratic, allowing even more minorities to hold high offfices.

Nbabe
Nbabe 11/22/12 - 07:39 pm
Humble Angela ...

Calling the President, "tar baby", drawing cartoons of the Obamas in a sambo like or monkey like images, having mannequins of the President being lynched, calling the President a racial slur, voter suppression to hinder black voters and etc ... Need I go on? Don't be blindsided. You see this for yourself ... These are prejudicial motivations from within itself. You can not tell me from an objective view that this isn't subjective to racism.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/22/12 - 08:18 pm
Where are these cartoons? Who

Where are these cartoons? Who called him a tar baby? Are you aware that the same thing happened to Bush? Why wasn't it racist then?