Race motivates attacks

Guest columnist Edward Maner is correct in his claim that criticisms of President Obama often are racially motivated (“Obama is an unfair victim of hatred,” Oct. 14).

This is particularly true of the editorial page of The Augusta Chronicle, despite the editor’s protestations to the contrary.

By my calculation, you have published more than 650 editorials and cartoons criticizing or attacking President Obama. This does not include snipes at the president from other topics, comments by like-minded syndicated columnists or letters from readers who take their cue from you.

You have told your readers directly, or by innuendo and insinuation, that the president is a narcissist, an ignoramus, a bully, a liar, a hypocrite, a racist, an elitist, a Nazi sympathizer, a conspirator, a Hitler, a hatemonger, a socialist, a non-patriot, a Muslim, a propagandist, a phony, a divider, a flip-flopper, a spendthrift, a dictator, an alien, a friend of terrorists and, of course, an abject failure.

In addition, you claimed that first lady Michelle Obama’s attempt to control the products in school vending machines “puts us well on the way to creating a police state.”

At the core of your world view is the belief that black people have a proper place in this society and any African-American in a position of authority is out of his or her proper place.

President Obama, as head of the free world, is so out of place it is unimaginable.

Your treatment of this president is not politics, but bigotry and obsession masquerading as political opinion.

Leslie J. Pollard Sr., Ph.D.

Augusta

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 04:22 pm
RA

I didn't miss Civics 101, but Obama surely did. And he didn't make up for it his Constitutional Law classes. Maybe he was stoned.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/20/12 - 04:25 pm
KSL writes: "All Americans

KSL writes: "All Americans except the Feds, the armed services and retirees, unions and who knows who else who has been exempted.'

Whaaaaaaaaaaa? Everyone, please read this out loud to someone besides your dog(they're great and always think you make perfect sense)and make sense of that statement.

SteveSwimmer
SteveSwimmer 11/20/12 - 04:28 pm
Race card

"Playing the race card."

Let me assure you: Out numbered by about ten to one, Black Folks know racism is no game and only racists play race cards.

And, if you don't think racism is the pivotal point here in the South: let me take you through a tour of the land I speak. Bring along a film crew and we will create a documentary no censor will allow us to show.

We can open the film with a Deep Southerner (who could be in my own family, my Grandfather proudly marched in full regalia with the KKK) saying: "Ain't no N-word never gonna be my President." Here, of course, I must dilute the message with "secret" language; still, I am sure you get the point.

I am glad there are folks who are truly opposed to the President's actions on thoughtful grounds. I too dislike a lot of what I see; yet, find myself constantly defending him because of the many racists who despise him.

Even worse for all of us, the racist crowd is automatically lumped in with the Republicans and overshadows any sensible positions the Republicans have.

In fact, universal health care is better and to all of our benefit. As an example, no doubt you would agree with me: The person (illegal or no) acquiring drug resistant TB is better off with health care than being allowed in our community spreading disease because of no health care.

As for "Socialism": In the active military, we do have an excellent socialized health care system operated by the U.S. Government.

Certainly that is true for the military dependents who are not service people. Military dependents like John McCain and Tiger Woods in their youth are well cared for and protected by socialized medicine.

Why, as a minimum, is that so bad for the rest of us? You want to cover expenses? Ban war profits (I mean, do you like war profits?) and we can pay for health care, or at least a good portion of it. End the drug war and we can save enough to pay for the rest of it.

If the wannabe Dracos would lighten up and stop putting so many people in jail (per capita we imprison six times the number of English prisoners. Do you really think our people are that bad?) we save enough to cut taxes and pay for health care.

Here, an added benefit increases our American workforce while displacing undocumented immigrants, economically forcing many of the illegal workers back to their home country. And, on and on....

No, the hyped paradigmatic thyme: anyone opposed to Obama is racist is not true, though many are. And, through the ears of one who hears racist comments on a regular basis, here in Georgia, let me say: much of the Right-wing antagonistic complaining sounds a lot more like closeted racism to me.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 04:28 pm
And it is immoral to profit

And it is immoral to profit off providing food, energy, clothing, shelter, all necessities? Where is your demand for no profit for these necessities?

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 04:32 pm
Well steve

I never hear racist comments. I guess you and I hang with different crowds.

burninater
burninater 11/20/12 - 04:32 pm
Lol RA, no chance of that

Lol RA, no chance of that being the moral argument. See, I've been taking notes. It only counts as moral if A) it is done under threat of eternal damnation, or B) it maximizes return on investment. All other categories of moral choices fall under that foul secular humanist rubric, and we all know that is the Devil's work.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 04:39 pm
Wouldn't have been nice if

Wouldn't it have been nice if the Democrats had not set out to destroy Hermain Cain. We could really see then how racist America, and especially the South really is. Guess the Dems couldn't risk that because it may have forever taken away the race card.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/20/12 - 04:38 pm
Diploma Mill

Good to hear from you again, Bruno.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 04:45 pm
RA

Yes or no, is everyone going to be covered by Obamacare, or not? Is presbo giving up his doctors that travel with him?

burninater
burninater 11/20/12 - 04:53 pm
And it is immoral to profit

-------
Entirely different in kind, KSL. Healthcare is rationed by providers -- consumers can't just go out and consume willy-nilly any healthcare they want, above and beyond what their providers and insurers will allow. However, there are no curbs on personal consumption of energy, food and shelter.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/20/12 - 05:03 pm
burninator....Your 4:53

burninator....Your 4:53 comment doesn't answer the question. Because you can get more of it, it's ok to make a profit? When a retailer has a "limit one per customer" on a sale, can they NOW not make a profit? Same logic.

Cadence
Cadence 11/20/12 - 05:11 pm
Factually Incorrect.

All that I can say in response, respectfully, is that the writer is factually incorrect in his generalizations. There are many racists in our country; there are many people who do not like or respect people who are in some way different from them. There are equal numbers who are not so. My vote for Romney reflected only my conservatism, my desire for smaller less invasive government, my Christian faith and the beliefs that go along with it such as protecting the unborn, the sick and groups who are traditionally underserved. I understand that persons in minority groups may reflexively see any criticism as bigotry. Terrible things have been done in the name of racism such as the murder of 6 million Jews. But my opinions are not based on hatred of anyone who is male, older, younger, taller, darker, lighter, transgendered or other characteristics. I base mine on character, honesty, compassion, and self awareness. However, I fear that some will never, never believe that. You are stuck in a mental mire, you are so trapped in the past that you cannot move forward. That is what makes it so sad.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/20/12 - 05:11 pm
Bully

Don't even acknowledge RA anymore - he's just a bully! Attack, attack attack - the reason he is still on here is because we haven't used the hook like some on here do!

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 05:19 pm
Well heck, with my former

Well heck, with my former plan, there were no curbs on the consumption of care. We did pay dearly for it. With the high deductible, it wound up being more like major medical. Which, guess what, made ordinary medical care like the other necessities.

The worst thing that happened to the medical industry was low cost, low deductible plans for employees.

We have been covered by individual health care plans since 1977. Never have I encountered rationing. But I guarantee we are going to be in for it going forward.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/20/12 - 05:24 pm
There are no curbs on

There are no curbs on consumption of health care. That statement was simply not true. I think the confusion lies in the liberal misconception that unless someone else pays for it, you are being denied access to it.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/20/12 - 05:24 pm
It's a fact.

Black are not leaders. They have no previous experience at leadership and refuse to ask for help. Look at marion berry Washington, D.C., the mayor of Bridgeport, Ct., Detroit, Cleveland, Newark, charlie rangel, adam clayton powell, jesse jackson jr., obama and on and on. If not for affirmative action, you'd be in a pickle. Martin Luther King Jr. is the only true leader you have produced. Prove me wrong but I don't believe you can.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 11/20/12 - 05:25 pm
RA

Us .01% will do fine in any governmental system. Those that are smart enough to earn wealth are smart enough to keep it. My concern is for the freedom we are loosing. This may be last generation that is able to accumulate wealth. This hope was what made America the greatest country on earth and that is what we are loosing. The new marxist system being implemented will usher in "mutually shared poverty" with 2 classes.
The ruling class (about 1 %) and all the rest of us. Just look around at the rest of the world and what you see is what you will get. America will cease to be great very soon. We are now in a race for "mediocrity". One question RA. If you were a successful business owner and the federal government took 50% of your profits would you continue to work 16 hour days six days a week? How about 75% or as some democrats want 91%? At some point you would give up and join the rest of people on the government dole. At some point the system will collapse because of people such as yourself who want something for nothing at your neighbors expense.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 05:32 pm
Lily

I would say he has been trying to bully me today and insult me discreetly. Or not so discreetly, not discussing with decorum. But yet he criticises Humble Angela for lack of understanding of decorum.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/20/12 - 05:30 pm
The funniest "insult" the

The funniest "insult" the hurled my way was when he referred to me as an "Ann Coulter wannabe." His attempt to insult was actually quite the compliment. Maybe he just has a problem with conservative women? If I follow the logic of the writer of this letter, I would conclude that he MUST be a sexist.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/20/12 - 05:31 pm
"single payer system for ALL

"single payer system for ALL Americans"

Yeh, it's that "payer" part that is the sticking point in Obamacare. We all know who the "payers" are and we know who STILL won't be paying for anything. "Single payer" is just another socialist politically correct term that infers the government pays for everything but we all know who the payers really are.........the same working stiffs that pay for everything else the government takes away from us and gives away to those who refuse to do their part.

As for Romney and his Mass. healthcare plan. Big difference. No hidden tons of unrelated taxes.....didn't use it to take over the student loan programs........no "panels" to decide who gets treatments for what and which treatment they get.........and no provisions that say "what gets covered depends on what the president says get covered". BIG differences in what Romney did and what Obama did. People don't realize it yet but they have lost total control of their healthcare and have no say so at all when it kicks in totally in 2014. All of you who think this is a good move never talk about the same socicalist healthcare systems are financially breaking almost every country that has one and the healthcare deteriorates every year. Canada and England are prime examples. Good luck with your Communist healthcare 'cause the prezbo and the congress will still have their good stuff.

There is not ONE, not the first, socialized medicine country that has as good, as technologically advanced, as responsive a healthcare system as the 85% of the people in this country USED TO HAVE. You WILL miss it in 2014. The other 15% went to the emergency room and STILL got better care than a Canadian or Brit.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 11/20/12 - 05:38 pm
Profit is good

Profit and competition are the driving force for innovation and productivity.
The post office is a good example...loosing billions every year while UPS makes billions due to efficiency, technology and production. The post office has no incentive to increase in these areas. If the federal government is successful in completely taking over healthcare this same situation will exist. Poor and reduced service at high prices. There will be no incentive for research and development and new medications and procedures will cease. We will all suffer!

burninater
burninater 11/20/12 - 05:52 pm
There are no curbs on

------
Huh? So I can just walk into a pharmacy and buy hydrocodone? I can just go to a surgery and say I want a hip replacement, doctor opinion be dam*ed? How can somebody say with a straight face that there are no curbs on consumption of healthcare? That's simpy flatout incorrect.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/20/12 - 05:53 pm
Good grief

Everybody wants something for nothing. We're doomed.

burninater
burninater 11/20/12 - 05:54 pm
There will be no incentive

-----

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/20/12 - 05:58 pm
If a doctor doesn't want to

If a doctor doesn't want to give you a hip replacement, he doesn't have too. If a car dealer doesn't want to sell you a car, he doesn't have too. If a grocer doesn't want to sell you a head of lettuce, he doesn't have too....curbs on food and cars.... Why single out healthcare as being somehow different....and even if it IS, it still doesn't meant it shouldn't be for profit....curbs and profits are unrelated in this instance.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/20/12 - 06:01 pm
"I'm not sure that it is

"I'm not sure that it is politically wise to advertise the worldview that you believe profit is the only human incentive for making the world a better place. Have people really become that misanthropic?"

In general....yes. Show of hands....how many people here perform their job simply to make the world a better place, and would continue to do the same for no pay?

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/20/12 - 06:11 pm
Hmm

Work your tale off to make the needed grades, spend 12 yrs in school and $400 Grand, live like a dog during residency, and then be called misanthropic because you want to make more money than the millions not able or willing to do it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/20/12 - 06:23 pm
Darn!

I feel like a TSD today, I have given more downers on this typic and others than I have since the beginning the of point system.
I just can't believe some of the comments that have been posted. Some are so far out with no common sense that it almost wants to make someone denounce their Citizenship knowing that they are walking amoung with their posted intelligence.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 07:19 pm
I guess people have become so

I guess people have become so misanthropic because they have seen our government create a huge class of people who have been forced to support people who have zero incentive to help themselves by early breeding and set ups instead of education and a new way out of poverty.

DEFACS motto in 1968. Help people help themselves. You bleeding hearts tell me what happened to that?

harley_52
harley_52 11/20/12 - 07:18 pm
Two Questions...

1. Do people have a "right" to free health care? If yes, please identify the source of that "right."

2. Do people of means have a moral responsibility to pay for the health care of others? If yes, which others?

If possible, refrain from introducing racism and sexism into the discussion.

Sickness closes all McDuffie County schools

One day after closing an elementary because of excessive absences caused by an outbreak of influenza, strep infection and stomach viruses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to enact an ...