Election was close

This election was much closer than people think. You say no? Well, one need only look at the county-by-county results in Florida, Virginia and Ohio.

Mitt Romney won virtually every county in these states with one exception: He didn’t win in urban areas such as Palm Beach, Fla., Fairfax, Va., or Columbus, Ohio. The margin of victory in each of these states was assured by the urban vote, even down to specific, singular counties. If Romney won those states, the electoral count is 272-266. Not quite the blowout some liberal pundits make it out to be. All Romney would have needed was Colorado, and he would have been the new president.

One might surmise that the people in the rural areas of these states understand the salt-of-the-earth principles of self-reliance, lower taxes and less government intrusion. One might also speculate that the people in the urban areas may be more inclined to be on the government dole and less likely to cut off the hand that feeds them. If so, then this country has reached the tipping point, but sooner or later the Democrats will run out of other people’s money.

This election was not a validation of President Obama’s liberal, socialist policies. This is still a center-right country no matter what the snake oil salesman at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. says.

Andy Redwood

North Augusta, S.C.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 11/18/12 - 09:16 pm
I feel perscuted just reading

I feel perscuted just reading some of this tripe....

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/18/12 - 10:07 pm
Mr. Cohen, nobody is trying to make you live as a Christian

If you believe otherwise, I really wish you would cite the facts of its occurrence. It is not a feature of Christianity as practiced in the United States to convert by force anyone, and it is absurd that you accuse anyone, especially everyone in a political party (of all things) of trying to do that.

I'm sure you are referring to same-sex marriage and abortion. How do you think people whose faith and firm conviction call those things evil feel about being forced to pay for abortions and to provide aid and assistance in such a way that same-sex marriage is supported?

The reality is that people of faith are being forced to do things that violate their faith and conscience in this nation on a daily basis. Thirty years ago, my supervisor at Chatham County DFCS did everything she could to have me fired because I could not in good conscience help one of my clients get an abortion. She was quite clear about what she thought of my beliefs and my act of conscience and the only thing that backed her off at all was my promise to sue her and everyone up her chain of command to the state level for violating my civil liberties. And this kind of thing is only going to get worse for people of faith.

It's been quite a while since anyone was thrown in jail for sodomy or for getting or performing an abortion. But just try refusing to provide insurance for your employees that doesn't cover those and see what people like yourself do.

So pardon me if I find your comment absurdly self-serving and totally laughable.

allhans
allhans 11/18/12 - 11:15 pm
Romney told the truth and it

Romney told the truth and it needed to be said. Now that it has been said we have to move on. We don't have to "Join" anything, just do our best with what we have.
Democrats have been running things with little to none in-put from Republicans for 4 years..so no point in changing the status quo.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/19/12 - 07:07 am
"ICL, people are going to

"ICL, people are going to thumbs down Mr Topliff because he writes a continuous LTE every month just like Dr Payne does"

Oh, excuse me. I thought the thumbs up/down was "suppose" to be whether you agreed or disagreed with the context of the comment.....not whether you liked/dislike the commenter. Guess I'm going to have to change my mode of operation.

Whether individuals are tired of seeing Mr. Topliff submit letters or not, the context of his letter was very respectful and I totally agree we need to honor those Navy Seals who died in Benjahzi and for someone to post a thumbs down in disagreement just because they do not like the commenter, is despicable in my view.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/19/12 - 10:34 am
ICL, you're right, of course

But it is exactly the same mindset that got Obummer re-elected. People "liked" him, no matter what he does or what his true goals are, no matter if he ends up putting us into early graves.

Why should we expect anything remotely rational when it comes to the red-thumb trolls? I, however, see every single thumb down as an indication that I'm saying something right.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/19/12 - 12:33 pm
We've just got a lot more haters commenting now...

...and boy, do they ever hate us for telling them their boy is deadly dangerous, and that only a freeloader or a fool would refuse to see that. They hate that almost as much as they hate hearing anything remotely resembling "Thou shalt not...".

OJP
OJP 11/20/12 - 03:29 am
Ah, yes, the great persecution of American Christians.

An overwhelmingly dominant majority that screams bloody murder when it is told that not being able to force its religious beliefs on others isn't religious persecution.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/20/12 - 11:43 am
Ok, OJP, put up or shut up

Just how, pray tell, are you having someone else's religious beliefs force upon you? You can do just about anything you want, up to and including driving a spike into the head of your unborn baby, and coming soon, you probably will be able to kill you grandparents and marry your dog with impunity.

So please explain how we Christians are forcing anything upon you or restricting your ability to do legally even the most vile things.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/20/12 - 11:54 am
And just what is it that Christians want to do

that you find so indefensible? Put up a nativity scene and celebrate the birth of Christ without having to do it in secret? What, are we in Mexico now? Or hold church services or outreach and assistance programs to the poor and homeless

Or is it that you just can't tolerate someone offering you something you don't want? Are you simply bereft of common courtesy and the most basic of social graces? I know that many, many are, but somehow, the fact that you can formulate a coherent sentence suggests you are not one of that sad cohort of Americans.

Can't you simply say, "No thank you. I'm not interested." Do you find yourself morally outraged when a telemarketer calls to sell you a timeshare, or when you get a political robocall? But having someone hawking their faith is forcing their faith on you?

You should do whatever is necessary to learn how to discern the difference between something unwelcome but optional and genuine coercion, because you don't seem to be making a distinction between the two.